Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I have a suspicion that old man Shatner has absolutely no idea what an en eff tee is.

At least after his last divorce he knows the value of horse cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wee Bairns posted:

I actually quite like the look of that Oberth kitbashy design.

That's because its literally the Oberth but upside-down

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Technowolf posted:

That's because its literally the Oberth but upside-down

The Unterth

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

But honestly, how many star trek NFTs are you going to buy?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i mean im getting the starter pack just to see, could be worth a lot of money someday, when tos came out people were pissed, throwing poo poo at their tv screens calling up their senators to complain, when tng came on there were hundreds of ritual murders in protest, but these days everyone loves them, trek ages like fine wine, so no reason not to invest in a couple of these. i can see why some people couldnt afford the risk, but i', really rich and handsome

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 9, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

I have a suspicion that old man Shatner has absolutely no idea what an en eff tee is.

I don't know either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiberius Christ posted:

At least after his last divorce he knows the value of horse cum

No, that’s Mike Pence.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

i mean im getting the starter pack just to see, could be worth a lot of money someday, when tos came out people were pissed, throwing poo poo at their tv screens calling up their senators to complain, when tbg came on there were hundreds of ritual murders in protest, but these days everyone loves them, trek ages like fine wine, so no reason not to invest in a couple of these. i can see why some people couldnt afford the risk, but i', really rich and handsome

I don't understand any of the words in this post.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
all u need 2 know is in ten years u will all be begging me for some of my amassed nft experience wealth

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

A.o.D. posted:

I'm imagining his representation quickly brushing over it as Star Trek fans chasing after free money from the internet tubes and Shatner just shaking his head and exclaiming, "God, what are those nerds up to now?" as he pulls the mic close to begin recording.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Actual Satan posted:

But honestly, how many star trek NFTs are you going to buy?

20 years hence, "Lot number 501: Non-fungible token representative of generic science fiction spaceship with round part and tube bits. Possible homage to Star Wars franchise. Bidding to begin at 0.00005 dollars."

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Penitent posted:

20 years hence, "Lot number 501: Non-fungible token representative of generic science fiction spaceship with round part and tube bits. Possible homage to Star Wars franchise. Bidding to begin at 0.00005 dollars."

"Sadly the image itself is lost as the server the actual file was hosted on is now defunct."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

McSpanky posted:

You could've started the post with "I'm not worth listening to" and saved everyone some time
If you have no nostalgia for it, TOS can hold very little joy for many.

I've tried to start it so many times, but the 60s attitudes about women make it a nose-hold at best, and it doesn't justify its existence quickly enough for that not to just demotivate me entirely.

Space Seed and Balance of Terror are the only episodes I've been able to make it the whole way through.

I love the crew, though. The movies gently caress.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think it's kinda weird that you were able to make it through Space Seed but have a problem with the show's attitude towards women overall. IIRC doesn't the ship's historian throw her lot in with Khan because she's just so taken with strong manly men from history just like him?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09zuEHUQvQ

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

If you have no nostalgia for it, TOS can hold very little joy for many.

I've tried to start it so many times, but the 60s attitudes about women make it a nose-hold at best, and it doesn't justify its existence quickly enough for that not to just demotivate me entirely.

Space Seed and Balance of Terror are the only episodes I've been able to make it the whole way through.

I love the crew, though. The movies gently caress.

Yeah, I watched Balance of Terror recently and there's a slightly weird B-plot with the female yeoman getting married or something. I don't even remember the details, just that I rolled my eyes a few times.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tighclops posted:

I think it's kinda weird that you were able to make it through Space Seed but have a problem with the show's attitude towards women overall. IIRC doesn't the ship's historian throw her lot in with Khan because she's just so taken with strong manly men from history just like him?
It's only confusing if it's a gotchya', or if you expect people to have the exact same tolerance for bullshit no matter when they watched a thing or what mood they're in. There's no conspiracy. I just wasn't as bothered that day and could enjoy the rest of the two episodes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I mostly lurk this thread, but just had to say this happened at Star Trek Mission Chicago today:

https://twitter.com/a_simple_tailor/status/1512927854866141187

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kate not mincing words. Holy gently caress.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LividLiquid posted:

Kate not mincing words. Holy gently caress.

I am not there, but apparently Kate is just going off like this, lol

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

If I Did It, by Admiral Kathryn Janeway

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

swickles posted:

I mostly lurk this thread, but just had to say this happened at Star Trek Mission Chicago today:

:patriot:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

It's only confusing if it's a gotchya', or if you expect people to have the exact same tolerance for bullshit no matter when they watched a thing or what mood they're in. There's no conspiracy. I just wasn't as bothered that day and could enjoy the rest of the two episodes.

I didn't mean it like a gotcha or anything like that but if you liked Space Seed then there's at least a bunch more episodes of TOS you'd probably be able to like if you're in the mood. I get it though, like I haven't seen Turnabout Intruder in like 25 years because as fun as Maximum Camp Shatner is the whole episode is upsettingly cringe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm used to people being snottier than you were being. XD.

I'm gonna' get through the series eventually. It's just gonna' require a particular prolonged mood or a viewing partner with whom I can laugh off all the gross.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

swickles posted:

Correct

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i stand with tuvix

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

swickles posted:

i knew it

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penitent posted:

I'm imagining his representation quickly brushing over it as Star Trek fans chasing after free money from the internet tubes and Shatner just shaking his head and exclaiming, "God, what are those nerds up to now?" as he pulls the mic close to begin recording.

Spock commemorative plate, except there's no plate.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm used to people being snottier than you were being. XD.

I'm gonna' get through the series eventually. It's just gonna' require a particular prolonged mood or a viewing partner with whom I can laugh off all the gross.

I can definitely sympathize with being turned off by its bouts of misogyny. I can accept that it's from a certain time and still enjoy it, but at certain points it's exactly like the Harry Enfield "Women: Know your limits" skit.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Tighclops posted:

I always thought that episode was unrealistically sexist, but then I took a classics course and met a bunch of women who I'm pretty sure would have betrayed everyone around them for Alexander the Great. I'm not saying all historians are weird simps for ancient tyrants, but there's enough of them that I don't find Space Seed unrealistic anymore.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Tighclops posted:

She was in the self-actualized space future and could choose to be or do anything, so she chose to become an expert on the 20th century and consequently became flighty, irrational, and downright dingbatty.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Women can explore space or wear pants, but not both

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Actual Satan posted:

Women can explore space or wear pants, but not both

Star Trek: Women can explore space or wear pants, but not both

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's nothing you skant do in TNG!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

rewatching the Frasier episode where they meet not-Picard at a sci-fi convention and convince him to return to shakespearean acting

then rewatching the episode where Patrick Stewart shows up as a gay socialite who develops a crush on Frasier

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

then rewatching the episode where Patrick Stewart shows up as a gay socialite who develops a crush on Frasier

How'd that one age?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

rewatching the Frasier episode where they meet not-Picard at a sci-fi convention and convince him to return to shakespearean acting

PostNouveau posted:

How'd that one age?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wft3c07r1KY

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Arglebargle III posted:

People watching the Halo TV show (all seven of them) commented that the quasi-fascist military UNSC interiors look just like modern Star Trek sets.

I really want to see that. Although I can imagine it because things like Discovery just look like generic scifi sets anyways.

Tuvix: I kinda wish they had played it more like everyone is just going to accept that Tuvok and Neelix are gone and Tuvix is here now. Come to terms with it and accept him for who he is... and then the next time he goes through the transporter Tuvok and Neelix pop out somehow instead of Tuvix. Maybe even have a little funeral for him. And it's weird because both Tuvok and Neelix remember being him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The worst part of Tuvix was his throat singing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The worst part of Tuvix was Neelix