Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Smythe posted:

im like inches from buying this monitor but if the kvm doesnt work for poo poo then.... ???

Don't get me wrong it works, and I'm happy enough with it for switching monitor inputs, it just seems to trip over itself because it won't switch to another system that's in a sleep state so how are you waking that PC so you can switch to it, etc. It's a lot better than switching inputs manually, it just sucks to have to consider these other things.

I would say you should take the leap, especially if you're getting it for $600.

e: Sphyre sums it up pretty well vvvvv

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i have had a few issues with needing to reconnect the usb-c cable to get mouse/kb working after sleep. also you do need to wake up your pc from the device itself, but my laptop and my desktop are right there on my desk so it’s not a biggie. overall i still like the one button kvm switching feature but it’s not perfect

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i see.... thanks all!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Volguus posted:

Since the big OLED TVs are not that suitable for office computing and the reasonable sized OLED monitors (32'') are holy hell expensive, I've been eyeing https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u3223qe/apd/210-bdph/monitors-monitor-accessories for when it goes on sale (they tend to do every now and then, though presumably it would still be above $1000CAD).
What does the thread think of it?

This thread has been talking about the Gigabyte M32U for the past several pages for a reason. That Dell seems hella expensive for what it is now.

I got my second M32U today. From B&H Photo. Box had obviously been opened. It wasn’t even taped back closed. Their customer service hasn’t been awesome so far.

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
so the monitor i decided on, the MAG274QRF-QD, came in about a week ago and it has been so loving dreamy. switching from a 1080p TN panel has been crazy. games, media, general use is all so much better. it's gorgeous. the COLORS and clarity while still being fast enough to not make me miss the TN panel. thoroughly impressed by my first IPS and annoyed i waited this long, both for IPS and 1440p

i also love that the stand doesn't extend 6 inches forward and sideways (what is LG doing)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The way around this would be to have a second uplink connection, though that obviously eliminates the convenience of a one-cable solution.

Yeah looking around further this seems to be what Dell does. Looks like the USB ports don't work at all unless you have a dedicated USB cable uplink.
I got a bit spoiled by the LG 5K being 1 cable TB3 but I figured lower bandwidth 4K60 would've been fine with USB 3.0 ports. Didn't realize that USB-C wasn't quite enough for that.

Apparently DP1.4 with DSC would help but I don't have confidence this monitor is clever enough to detect DP1.4 and enable full USB 3.0 on the right computers, not that I have one of those on hand right now anyway. The HP manual doesn't even mention this limitation anywhere so I don't expect them to document anything clever.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

This thread has been talking about the Gigabyte M32U for the past several pages for a reason. That Dell seems hella expensive for what it is now.

I got my second M32U today. From B&H Photo. Box had obviously been opened. It wasn’t even taped back closed. Their customer service hasn’t been awesome so far.

Pepper in some Yiddish, they like that.

I open my box. Oy, it’s already opened. The guts have been soiled. Who’s been rooting around in here? Ribbono shel olam, I tells ya, it’s too much. What could be missing? Who knows. Who knows.

That’s not Yiddish but it sounded funny in my exasperated Jewish guy voice

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

I always wonder what happens to returned electronics. I know returned clothing tends to just go to the dump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66qOop6J8Q8

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 6, 2022

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Smythe posted:

Pepper in some Yiddish, they like that.

I open my box. Oy, it’s already opened. The guts have been soiled. Who’s been rooting around in here? Ribbono shel olam, I tells ya, it’s too much. What could be missing? Who knows. Who knows.

That’s not Yiddish but it sounded funny in my exasperated Jewish guy voice

I’m veklempt over the whole ting. They said I could return it but they don’t have a new one to send me. WTF. Oy vey even.

What’s in the box, detective?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

The UEFI update wouldn't process even though the tool said my card was eligible. As for the BIOS update, I looked into this over the weekend and my firmware series (FF1) isn't listed even though my Nvidia firmware version is slightly older than updates available. I emailed Gigabyte tech support about this but lmao if they get back to me.

You do bring up a good point, that there could be a compatibility issue with my 970 only having DP1.2 and the monitors supporting DP1.4. I've set them to run in DP1.2 mode so we'll see if they behave better over the next few days. If that fixes the problem, there's still the chance that DP1.4 is broken, but that would seem less likely than a DP1.2/1.4 compatibility issue. Apparently the 900 series had issues with DP handshake: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3vjq6r/comment/cyvjo97/

The monitors are already behaving differently in DP1.2 mode. If I turn off the monitor, Win10 will rearrange the desktop whereas before, it would pretend like it's still there and I could mouse into the off monitor. Is that how it's supposed to work? When I turn off the monitor connected via HDMI, I can still mouse into it. I do plan to build a new desktop when the next Ryzen/GeForce are released, but who knows when that will happen and whether the crypto bots will snatch up everything.
Setting the monitors to DP1.2 worked all day yesterday and all day today, so when someone offered to buy my old monitors tonight, I jumped on the opportunity...

And of course they started acting up again. :doh:

The connection to my laptop dock via DP always works flawlessly, so this does indeed seem to be an issue related to DP handshaking with my 970. :negative:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

M32U for $600: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083GRVFXN (this discount is also at best buy and newegg) (review)

This owns, you own. B&H says it’ll be here tomorrow. If it’s solid, I might pick up another one to replace my other older non-main monitor.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So! A quick question here, I've just managed to snag a 3060 Ti which is a bit an upgrade from my old 1060 and I'm doing a little monitor shopping. My current monitor I've entirely forgotten the model number of, but it's an ancient 1080p/60Hz one. Any golden-standard suggestions for a 1440p/144Hz monitor for gaming? I could do 300, maybe 400 bucks with a good argument, although I'm leaning towards preferring a 27" panel just because my desk space is preeetty cramped and I've got serious doubts a 32" would actually fit in this desk.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Looking for an art studio monitor. Preferably 4k or 1440p, refresh rate isn't important but colour accuracy is. Thinking it'll be mounted on a wall about three feet from my eyes so maybe 32"? If it could connect over thunderbolt 3 and power a Mac that would be really nice.

Should I be looking at TVs for this, other than connectivity things? It would be nice to get whatever used but since this isn't going to be in use like 12 hours a day (more like 20 hours a week, max), OLED might be a nice option.

Any good last-gen options or good value for the current monitors?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleSuwK8vR4

"audible fan noise"

"the finish combines the worst aspects of gloss and matte finishes"

"in bright usage conditions the black level of this QD-OLED visually appeared no better than an IPS with a 1000:1 contrast ratio" 😬

On the fringing from the subpixel layout "personally I find it quite easy to notice when using desktop app, even at viewing distances of a meter or more" "the drop in clarity moving from the IPS LCD I use every day to the QD-OLED was noticeable for things like writing this script" Non-issue for gaming, though

Lacks HDMI 2.1

But, on the positive side, it's "easily the best HDR gaming monitor you can buy right now"

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 8, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's not literally perfect, confirmed. The focus on it being a gaming/media monitor is clear, to the detriment of regular windows desktop usage. I think future iterations will be better, though i doubt the subpixel layout will be changing anytime soon. That just seems to be the subpixel layout Samsung is going with for QD-OLED for whatever reason, with no consideration for how it functions in a computer monitor. Tim didn't mention this, but I've also seen mixed reports on which HDR mode is better for regular content, with some people claiming that the ABL in HDR-1000 kicks in often while gaming, which sounds distracting.

That said, for the specific use case it's designed for, it still seems pretty amazing. I just can't justify spending $1300 on a monitor with such a narrow use case. Future iterations of QD-OLED technology will need to be even more energy efficient for better SDR brightness/less obtrusive ABL functionality, and ideally we get a flatscreen monitor with some form of heat dissipation for the panel which would further help with this.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 8, 2022

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

tuyop posted:

Looking for an art studio monitor. Preferably 4k or 1440p, refresh rate isn't important but colour accuracy is. Thinking it'll be mounted on a wall about three feet from my eyes so maybe 32"? If it could connect over thunderbolt 3 and power a Mac that would be really nice.
If color accuracy is important you might want to take a look at the Asus ProArt lineup. I own a 24-inch 1920x1200 as my second monitor (for working on images, reading comics, etc) and love it. They're super accurate and reasonably priced. This model is 4K, 32 inches, and USB-C. I'm not sure if it would power your Mac or not, though, so you might need to do a bit of research.

They also have a few 27-inch models which might be worth looking at. Three feet seems like an in-between viewing distance where either size might work, but I'm sure other people here have more experience with both and can comment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

It's not literally perfect, confirmed. The focus on it being a gaming/media monitor is clear, to the detriment of regular windows desktop usage. I think future iterations will be better, though i doubt the subpixel layout will be changing anytime soon. That just seems to be the subpixel layout Samsung is going with for QD-OLED for whatever reason, with no consideration for how it functions in a computer monitor. Tim didn't mention this, but I've also seen mixed reports on which HDR mode is better for regular content, with some people claiming that the ABL in HDR-1000 kicks in often while gaming, which sounds distracting.

That said, for the specific use case it's designed for, it still seems pretty amazing. I just can't justify spending $1300 on it. Future iterations of QD-OLED technology will need to be even more energy efficient for better SDR brightness/less obtrusive ABL functionality, and ideally we get a flatscreen monitor with some form of heat dissipation for the panel which would further help with this.

You think MS could update cleartype to accommodate the subpixel layout?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes, but google and everyone else will have to too for it to become a complete non-issue, and google has demonstrated that they don't give a poo poo.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Inverted Sphere posted:

So! A quick question here, I've just managed to snag a 3060 Ti which is a bit an upgrade from my old 1060 and I'm doing a little monitor shopping. My current monitor I've entirely forgotten the model number of, but it's an ancient 1080p/60Hz one. Any golden-standard suggestions for a 1440p/144Hz monitor for gaming? I could do 300, maybe 400 bucks with a good argument, although I'm leaning towards preferring a 27" panel just because my desk space is preeetty cramped and I've got serious doubts a 32" would actually fit in this desk.

I was just about to post the same request with the same requirements and budget, except I'm willing to go up to 32". Piggy backing off this, thanks!

(Any deals in Canada would be a huge bonus)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Lacks HDMI 2.1

:psyduck: I can't imagine the price per unit would have been that much higher. Seems baffling to leave this out of your loving flagship monitor, especially considering it's just limited to 100hz with 2.0

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The current Gsync Ultimate module doesn't support HDMI 2.1

That's also why it has a fan, Nvidia is still inexplicably using FPGAs after all these years and one on the Ultimate module is very spicy

Eventually ASIC controllers will catch up and we'll get similar monitors without those compromises

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleSuwK8vR4

"audible fan noise"

"the finish combines the worst aspects of gloss and matte finishes"

"in bright usage conditions the black level of this QD-OLED visually appeared no better than an IPS with a 1000:1 contrast ratio" 😬

On the fringing from the subpixel layout "personally I find it quite easy to notice when using desktop app, even at viewing distances of a meter or more" "the drop in clarity moving from the IPS LCD I use every day to the QD-OLED was noticeable for things like writing this script" Non-issue for gaming, though

Lacks HDMI 2.1

But, on the positive side, it's "easily the best HDR gaming monitor you can buy right now"
So for productivity in a normally lit room, it's not necessarily better than IPS. That makes sense to me since OLED has always been talked up in the context of inky blacks and response time, which is good for watching movies and gaming on a TV but less so for all the other stuff you do on a computer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Josh Lyman posted:

So for productivity in a normally lit room, it's not necessarily better than IPS. That makes sense to me since OLED has always been talked up in the context of inky blacks and response time, which is good for watching movies and gaming on a TV but less so for all the other stuff you do on a computer.
yeah i sure would hate for the text in my IDE to be high contrast and scroll smoothly

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

butt dickus posted:

yeah i sure would hate for the text in my IDE to be high contrast and scroll smoothly
I mean, I want my coding to be a pleasant experience, but I don't think contrast is an issue with any non-TN panel from the last 10 years.

As for smooth scrolling, 165Hz is 6ms so anything 1ms will be fine.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I want to do the "streamer" setup with my monitors. I want to buy an ultrawide and then have a monitor in Portrait mode on the side. What is the best monitor mount to do that?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

You think MS could update cleartype to accommodate the subpixel layout?

Yes, but google and everyone else will have to too for it to become a complete non-issue, and google has demonstrated that they don't give a poo poo.

I wonder if this couldn't be improved with a shader on the video card, comparing the displayed frame to the monitors known subpixel layout, and tweaking the subpixels of any pixels that are on a black/white edge. Not going to be as good as cleartype, but should be 'free' on any video card in the last ten years.

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>

Inverted Sphere posted:

Oysters Autobio posted:

I was just about to post the same request with the same requirements and budget, except I'm willing to go up to 32". Piggy backing off this, thanks!

(Any deals in Canada would be a huge bonus)

as someone who just made the upgrade to 1440p with gaming as a focus, i can suggest 3 or 4 IPS displays at varying prices. the cons of a VA panel drove me away from looking at them.

GIGABYTE M27Q, LG 27GP850-B, and MSI MAG274QRF-QD (the one i happily ended up with)

my post history in this thread kind of tells my quick story about it. you really do get what you pay for. i'd recommend watching some review videos on these and similar monitors, to see if you'll be getting the features you care about. but these all seem to be highly rated options.

Twisc fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 9, 2022

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

I want to do the "streamer" setup with my monitors. I want to buy an ultrawide and then have a monitor in Portrait mode on the side. What is the best monitor mount to do that?

I have this setup and I'm using this arm without any issue https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Adjustable-Screens-STAND-V002/dp/B009S750LA

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Oh cool I have that one already. I didn't think it would work with that setup! Thank you!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Not a monitor but some people here may be interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC4RO7z9XaA

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
For the Samsung G7 (VA) monitor havers in this thread: I just noticed a new firmware update 1014.1 released 23Feb2022 on the Samsung website. Is there any improvement or fixes? I’m still on 1011.0.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The Samsung M7 Series 32-Inch 4K (LS32AM702PNXZA) looks almost perfect but it's a VA panel, wah.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mang Tomas posted:

For the Samsung G7 (VA) monitor havers in this thread: I just noticed a new firmware update 1014.1 released 23Feb2022 on the Samsung website. Is there any improvement or fixes? I’m still on 1011.0.

Haven't even tried since 1011.0 works fine for me.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So I wound up going with an LG 27GL83A-B which looks gorgeous and is a huge upgrade over the one I had before, but now I have a slightly weird question. The stand, even in the lowest position, holds the monitor just ever so slightly too high for my desk (Literally a single inch too high) so the monitor has to sit halfway up my desk instead of at the back of it, which is too close to be comfortable. (It would be absolutely perfect if I could slide it to the back of my desk.) Do they make any sort of aftermarket stands for monitors that might have a shorter height? This is so close to being perfect, it's just the stand holding the monitor an inch too high.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I wound up going with an LG 27GL83A-B which looks gorgeous and is a huge upgrade over the one I had before, but now I have a slightly weird question. The stand, even in the lowest position, holds the monitor just ever so slightly too high for my desk (Literally a single inch too high) so the monitor has to sit halfway up my desk instead of at the back of it, which is too close to be comfortable. (It would be absolutely perfect if I could slide it to the back of my desk.) Do they make any sort of aftermarket stands for monitors that might have a shorter height? This is so close to being perfect, it's just the stand holding the monitor an inch too high.

Not to be flippant, but can your raise your chair or lower your desk?

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not to be flippant, but can your raise your chair or lower your desk?

Unfortunately no, but to be more precise the problem is that my desk has a whole upper portion basically with a couple of drawers and whatnot, handy in my rather space-limited room, but it also means the monitor sits just a tiny bit too high to actually fit -in- the recessed part of the desk so instead of sitting at the back of the desk, it's square in the middle.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Your monitor should be compatible with any VESA mount stand, look around for one with adjustable height

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Clamp-mounted arms would give you the most leeway since you could bring the monitor all the way to the desk surface if you wanted, but that's a no-go if there's a back wall to your desk or something else obstructing it there. There are desktop stands like this one too, but it's hard to tell if it'll give you any better vertical adjustment range than the LG stand. It looks like you can extend that one low enough that the bottom of the monitor will touch the top of the base, but I'm not sure.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If you want arms I would go straight to Ergotron, as the Monoprice Canada ones I ordered jiggle when I type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OP I have a stand from my M32U that I'll never use but I'm pretty sure it's not VESA compatible - if you want to find out, you can have it for cost of shipping (from Vancouver BC).

Shumagorath posted:

If you want arms I would go straight to Ergotron, as the Monoprice Canada ones I ordered jiggle when I type.

This probably means your desk is unstable more than anything. If your desk is moving around when you type and it's being translated up to your monitors I'd think the arms are stiff enough to translate that movement up to them.