Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I feel like any piece of media with magic and/or dimension hopping can pretty easily get around lasting global consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hop Pop is being set up to rule after this is all done. And the land doesn’t need to go back to normal after either. There’s already tons of ruins from some other conflict before this story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SpiderLink posted:

I feel like any piece of media with magic and/or dimension hopping can pretty easily get around lasting global consequences.

*portal opens on random planet, random frog walks through*

"Do you have wildly advanced magic or science that can help fix wild ecological problems?"
"No"
"Well okay then"

*Frog goes back through portal*

"They said no!"

*Marcy sighs and starts configuring calamity box for next jump*

Larryb posted:

As I mentioned before, I’m also curious how Anne, Sasha, and (assuming she can be saved) Marcy adjust to normal life again after everything is over (maybe at least one of them ultimately decides to remain in Amphibia)

I don't think anyone stays*. I mean they establish pretty clearly at the end of season 2 the entire story stems from Marcy refusing to deal with her having to move and (literally) running from her problems, to the point of wildly endangering herself and her friends. That is not healthy behavior and the message at the end shouldn't be "except for bringing her friends without their permission, Marcy was right"

*If anyone, mayyyybe Sasha, but again I think the show has made it clear that a dangerous alien world is not a place for a teenage girl (even one with combat training like Sasha) who still has a lot of growing up to do in basically every way.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 6, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good point. Actually I forget, have we ever seen or heard about Sasha’s family on the show as of yet?

And yeah, while I’m pretty confident they’re going to eventually power of friendship Marcy away from the Core’s control it is basically her fault that (the human side of) this mess started and hopefully she’ll finally learn to accept reality and grow up a little (even if it does lead to a somewhat bittersweet ending since as mentioned the reason she ran was because she found out her family was moving away)

I could see her staying behind a bit longer to help Amphibia rebuild once the dust settles as a way of atonement though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 6, 2022

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

after all this, I'm holding out for the hope that Hop Pop will be able to grow avocados

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Larryb posted:

Good point. Actually I forget, have we ever seen or heard about Sasha’s family on the show as of yet?

IIRC Anne wrote a letter for each of Sasha's parents in the Christmas episode, so I assume they're separated or divorced. Would explain why Sasha got so mad when Anne wanted to go home and spend her birthday with her loving family.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpiderLink posted:

IIRC Anne wrote a letter for each of Sasha's parents in the Christmas episode, so I assume they're separated or divorced. Would explain why Sasha got so mad when Anne wanted to go home and spend her birthday with her loving family.

That would also explain Sasha's general attitude and need to be in control of the situation (which kind of makes me wonder if aside from her friends she even has anything left at home worth coming back to)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that the tone goes both ways - due to hanging out with Marcy so much, Andreas has adopted some of her and her friend's mannerisms even in despot form, like when threatening his Chameleon Robot early in season 3 he signs off with a cutesy anime pose on the videocall. He's a cruel despot who's borrowed the behaviours of a 13 year old human girl.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, even with the fact it’s much more plot driven now I like that the series can still strike a balance between lighthearted fun and being one of the darkest kids shows I’ve seen in a while

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also since we’ve seen their eyes glow when near the other gems I’m assuming Sasha and Marcy will eventually unlock their own Calamity powers and we’ll go full Dragon Ball again for the final battle

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the glow draining from them when the gems recharged signified that they had (unintentionally) lost their powers and the only reason Anne was able to power up was because the gem only recharged part of the way.

Then again, the first time Anne powered up we see the gem on the box spark a bit and send power to her so maybe if Sasha & Marcy just really want it (a la Vegeta) they'll be able to force their powers back from the gems too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That might be a decent way to free Marcy from the Core honestly (overload it with a stronger power thereby allowing her own will to regain control). Since this whole mess started with her making a selfish, cowardly choice Marcy ultimately saving herself would be a good first step towards atonement.

Either way the final battle is likely going to come down to the three of them Vs the Core (since even Andrias seems to essentially be another pawn in its game)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 8, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This week's Amphibia episodes were fun. I liked the gags with Sasha still not being that used to Amphibia's overall style despite spending so long there because she stuck with the toads too slavishly, so missing obvious cues like what that "shower" would entail. Also I liked Sprig calling Grime out when Grime tried to fire back about what Sprig did to HIM back. "You extorted my town for years, imprisoned us when we tried to fight back, THEN tried to kill my Hop Pop!" "Well you weren't that great to me either. I know it was you who put poison ivy in my codpiece..." "YOU. TRIED. TO. KILL. MY. HOP POP!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like that they're just calling Anne's powers "cool anime powers" now. Interesting to know that they can possibly restore Sasha/Marcy's without needing to actually have the box. And got a good laugh at Sasha getting her cheerleader on but not changing the words. "I'M VERY BUSY!"

Also I totally didn't recognize that Mother Olm was Whoopi Goldberg until the credits (I'm not putting that in tags because gently caress it, it's not exactly important)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

This week's Amphibia episodes were fun. I liked the gags with Sasha still not being that used to Amphibia's overall style despite spending so long there because she stuck with the toads too slavishly, so missing obvious cues like what that "shower" would entail. Also I liked Sprig calling Grime out when Grime tried to fire back about what Sprig did to HIM back. "You extorted my town for years, imprisoned us when we tried to fight back, THEN tried to kill my Hop Pop!" "Well you weren't that great to me either. I know it was you who put poison ivy in my codpiece..." "YOU. TRIED. TO. KILL. MY. HOP POP!"

Considering Anne had leaves and sticks in her hair for a while I don’t think any of these girls have really had a proper bath since they got to Amphibia (maybe Marcy since she got in good with the ruling class).

This episode does give a bit more credence to my theory of Sasha and Marcy getting their own Super Saiyan esque forms by the end of the series though

Also it somehow just dawned on me that each girl wound up with the race most suited to their personality (Anne with the simple frogs, Sasha with the warlike toads, and Marcy with the noble class of newts). Nice touch honestly

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I liked when Anne's power first surfaced is something I've always been a bit of a sucker for - when a character's trigger is such a powerful one that once it pushes them to the new power level it becomes all they can think about and they practically go feral for a bit. Like Anne's power surfacing due to thinking Andreas killed Sprig, and all she can say in that moment is "Give... him... back...." She's completely lost herself in the moment, she's on autopilot, no real conscious thought. Just raw power and loss being channelled into a full on beatdown. Just generally when a power is reached due to the main character being in some way overwhelmed, in such a way that it puts them in a new mindset, it is a cool thing.

I'm having trouble thinking of other examples but the closest my brain is coming right now is in Digimon Tamers where Takato and Guilmon first reach their Ultimate form against the first Deva, and it makes very clear that Takato and Guilmon are essentially the same entity in a few ways (because Takato is feeling every hit that Wargrowlmon takes and directly calling his attack alongside him as if he's using the atomic blaster himself)

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 9, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The Avatar state is a pretty obvious example.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Yeah, I'm tired so my brain is kind of fried.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

Or the first instance of Super Saiyan.

Before Toriyama just made it another power-up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, has it been explained exactly how the Calamity Box wound up in a shop on Earth and why there was a book there that talked about it (or I think that’s how Marcy learned about it at least, I could be misremembering)?

Also hypothetically, if Marcy never decided to convince her friends to steal and open the box in the first place would that mean that Andrias’ plans would have effectively gone up in smoke?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

I forget, has it been explained exactly how the Calamity Box wound up in a shop on Earth and why there was a book there that talked about it (or I think that’s how Marcy learned about it at least, I could be misremembering)?

Also hypothetically, if Marcy never decided to convince her friends to steal and open the box in the first place would that mean that Andrias’ plans would have effectively gone up in smoke?

It's never been specifically explained how the music box got to Earth but, well, the loving thing can open doorways into different dimensions/universes/planets/etc. Somebody opened one of those portals(presumably from Amphibia to Earth), went through it and took the box with them to Earth yadda-yadda-yadda it eventually ended up getting shoplifted by Anne from a Thrift store.

Unless it turns out to be some vitally important plot point, the above is probably the most reasonable explanation.

But who was that person who brought the box to Earth?!

Somebody who isn't part of the story that's being told now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, it’s possible someone from Amphibia specifically hid the box on Earth long before the series started in an attempt to try and prevent the current situation from happening (or they were planning to use its powers themselves but wound up misplacing it)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 10, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In the preview we see Andrias (presumably in a happier time) with 2 friends. I'm sure at some point we'll get a flashback episode about what went wrong. I expect that when Andrias started to break bad the other two stole the box and just ran it through to a random dimension. The only question is did they just throw the box through a portal and not come themselves or was the owner of that store that Anne shoplifted 2 frogs in a trenchcoat?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What if Eda stole it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not gonna lie, I probably wouldn’t mind seeing an Amphibia/Owl House crossover

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Anne, Sasha and Marcy start hitting Andreas so hard with their magic powers they knock him through multiple dimensions, some of which were former victims some of which he's never heard of, and one of them is the Boiling Isles. In that week's episode of Owl House the main characters are doing something, hear a huge bang, look around and just go "Eh, we'll deal with that later" and go about their business, totally missing the fight

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Larryb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c07yd4BgXu0

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Do I have good news for you, they did one (in audio form) at Comic-con, here's a version that somebody roughly animated over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDYwsSeV_9Q

e: f,b

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Do I have good news for you, they did one (in audio form) at Comic-con, here's a version that somebody roughly animated over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDYwsSeV_9Q

e: f,b

Thanks, that was pretty good. Were the narrators people who worked on the show(s) out of curiosity?

That said, I could see Eda and Sasha likely getting along pretty well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 11, 2022

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The vase that Anne found in the museum depicted the pink frog from Andrias' flashback, coming through a portal with the box.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh yeah, good catch

Also, do we know how many episodes Season 3 will be in total yet (they posted a guide not too long ago but I’m not sure if that was the full list, also two of the episodes didn’t have titles yet)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 11, 2022

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Pretty sure you can see the calamity box on a shelf in Eda's basement at one point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is it just a coincidence that two shows about a girl being transported to a fantasy realm where she learns how to fight and eventually becomes entangled in a battle against an evil king came out at about the same time or was there some collaboration between the two?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 11, 2022

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, is it just a coincidence that two shows about a girl being transported to a fantasy realm where she learns how to fight and eventually becomes entangled in a battle against an evil king came out at about the same time or was there some collaboration between the two?

It's not an uncommon trope, though it's become more common in recent years possibly due to the isekai fad in anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

It's not an uncommon trope, though it's become more common in recent years possibly due to the isekai fad in anime.

True enough

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Also, up to halfway through the season finale of season two, Amphibia presented Andrias as a good guy trying to help Marcy and Anne go home. Granted that there were a couple of red (or at least yellow if that's a thing) flags along the way. It's The Owl House which pretty well starts with the idea that Belos and co. are controlling assholes foisting the restrictive coven system on everybody else. That said, Belos's goal seems to be less destructive than Andrias's. Belos just wants to go (back?) to Earth to live there while Andrias wants to invade, conquer and destroy.

I admit that I do wonder if we'll get some weird revelation that Luz is Phillip's great-whatever-grand-daughter or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, in the very first season Hop Pop seemed to be aware enough that the box was dangerous and tried to bury it.

Though in the case of Andrias I’m still not sure how much of this is his own will and how much of it is the Core manipulating him (it is the one that recently encouraged him to invade Earth and after it took Marcy Andrias wanted it to find another host)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Hell, in the very first season Hop Pop seemed to be aware enough that the box was dangerous and tried to bury it.

Though in the case of Andrias I’m still not sure how much of this is his own will and how much of it is the Core manipulating him (it is the one that recently encouraged him to invade Earth and after it took Marcy Andrias wanted it to find another host)

I don't know. Okay, Andrias has/had a soft spot for Marcy, but he's still the one who literally stabbed her in the back, let the Host eat/possess her and burns whole villages to ash. He's a guy who programs his robots to be able to feel fear so that he can threaten them with destruction to motivate them. Whatever occurred in his backstory, he's still the guy who chose to be the kind of person who did stuff like that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

I don't know. Okay, Andrias has/had a soft spot for Marcy, but he's still the one who literally stabbed her in the back, let the Host eat/possess her and burns whole villages to ash. He's a guy who programs his robots to be able to feel fear so that he can threaten them with destruction to motivate them. Whatever occurred in his backstory, he's still the guy who chose to be the kind of person who did stuff like that.

Oh he’s still an rear end in a top hat no question and I’m hoping he gets what he deserves but I’m just curious which of them will ultimately become the final boss (maybe they’ll split the difference and have the Core possess him directly after Marcy is inevitably freed from its control)

Poor Marcy, that girl’s gonna be a wreck when she gets out of this (but even though her motivation wasn’t inherently malicious she still needs to atone for her actions just as much as Sasha did)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Everyone posted:

Okay, Andrias has/had a soft spot for Marcy, but he's still the one who literally stabbed her in the back

I hope they don't try the "I have a very sad backstory and it hurt me so much when I had to stab you in the back because you were my only friend" thing. Unless they can totally nail it.