Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's 2022 brother, ever since the BLM riots a couple years back, security/policing IS the pork barrel project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
I just wanna know when CA is going to decide whether or not to double the refund for aluminum, because these bags of crushed cans are strangling my back yard.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anything we're more likely to reduce it or get rid of it lol

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Larry Parrish posted:

If anything we're more likely to reduce it or get rid of it lol
Last I remember hearing China stopped taking our dirty recyclables, which apparently often included cans and bottles, since companies over there would either dump that into streams or let it fall into streams. Then what... Malaysia and Vietnam? Who are now past capacity? So with nowhere to go recyclables are getting burned or landfilled.

Most of those stories concentrate on plastic iirc; I'm not sure if aluminum was heavily affected or not.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Aluminum recycling is profitable, so that actually gets done. Mostly because smelting new metal from bauxite is hideously energy intensive (about 3% of total worldwide electricity)

Reprocessing scrap aluminum is cheaper than starting from ore

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, something massive like 70% of all aluminum ever smelted is still in circulation worldwide, a few percent lower in the US

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You better believe my soda cans are the one thing I proudly chuck in the recycle bin every time

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Highbrow Slick posted:

I just wanna know when CA is going to decide whether or not to double the refund for aluminum, because these bags of crushed cans are strangling my back yard.

It's only been $0.05 since...the early 90s?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

assistant chief counsel of the department of fair housing and employment resigns over newsom interfering with their lawsuit against Activision-Blizzard and firing the chief counsel.

Proctor said in the email to staff that in recent weeks, California Governor Gavin Newsom and his office “began to interfere” with the Activision suit. “The Office of the Governor repeatedly demanded advance notice of litigation strategy and of next steps in the litigation,” Proctor wrote in the email, which was seen by Bloomberg. “As we continued to win in state court, this interference increased, mimicking the interests of Activision’s counsel.”

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmfao. acti-blizz execs really are part of the Hollywood rape elite, I guess. i remember my first thought when it dropped was nothing will happen like it usually doesn't for the big production companies. i guess Based Newsom is trying to make that a reality. what's with the media industry in this state and rape, they love it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Perhaps the assistant chief counsel of the department of fair housing and employment is simply making this up to uhhhh...

Uhhh...

Tarnish Newsom's stellar, spotless record, out of jealousy?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Perhaps the assistant chief counsel of the department of fair housing and employment is simply making this up to uhhhh...

Uhhh...

Tarnish Newsom's stellar, spotless record, out of jealousy?
Assistant Chief Counsel was snubbed on the French Laundry invites, thus these baseless accusations :parrot:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Larry Parrish posted:

lmfao. acti-blizz execs really are part of the Hollywood rape elite, I guess. i remember my first thought when it dropped was nothing will happen like it usually doesn't for the big production companies. i guess Based Newsom is trying to make that a reality. what's with the media industry in this state and rape, they love it.

Activision-Blizzard is absolutely rife with spooks and lobbyists, of course they're part of the Hollywood rape elite.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Activision-Blizzard is absolutely rife with spooks and lobbyists, of course they're part of the Hollywood rape elite.

it's cool how every large corporation in this state finds the same type of freak to work for them. like maybe they're all like that across the country but it seems like we only get delusional tech CEOs who confuse internal reports with their own marketing and people who smoke adrenochrome that they personally harvested from homeless teenagers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Larry Parrish posted:

it's cool how every large corporation in this state finds the same type of freak to work for them. like maybe they're all like that across the country but it seems like we only get delusional tech CEOs who confuse internal reports with their own marketing and people who smoke adrenochrome that they personally harvested from homeless teenagers.

That's what the up and coming generation of the ruling class looks like, yes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yes, DiFi is gaga, and no, nobody is going to do anything about it.

quote:

But Wednesday, two senators who have served with Feinstein for years said they believe she does not always fully recognize them. They said they get the sense that Feinstein realizes she knows them but isn’t able to quickly recall their name or home state. One Senate staffer said they’ve seen their boss on a few occasions greet Feinstein in hallways with a preemptive self-introduction.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

On that note, here is a pretty good article about why Gavin will never become President

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Gavin-Newsom-needs-a-reality-check-17078264.php

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really wish that pointless recall went through just to gently caress him over tbh

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Bodhidharma posted:

On that note, here is a pretty good article about why Gavin will never become President

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Gavin-Newsom-needs-a-reality-check-17078264.php
He's still going to run though.

Larry Parrish posted:

i really wish that pointless recall went through just to gently caress him over tbh
Half-wish this, yes. Looking back 20/20 it depends on how much worse off you think we'd be with an essentially ineffective Elder, who could (and likely would be) overruled on bills he vetoed, versus how things played out with Gavin.

Alas, The Rock never ran, so we never got full scale entertainment in the recall election.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

BeAuMaN posted:

yeah, he'll run, but I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't even win the primary in california when he does

I'd even toxx on it if we still allowed toxxes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of Newsom I checked out the primary candidates and lol. Dude's gonna coast to another easy W. Nobody else worth mentioning running as a D, the R's are all a bunch of failed idiot recall candidates with the only guy even approaching an existing profile in the state being Dahle, and then the usual mix of hopeless non-affiliated randos. Looks like Faulconer and Elder both declined to run, and I can't find any mention of Cox whatsoever so I assume he finally got embarrassed enough about how much of a sad sack he looked like pretending he was a viable candidate to bow out as well.

I'm kinda surprised Elder isn't running again, even if doesn't have a shot in hell at actually winning the general he would have coasted to an easy primary victory on name recognition alone and could have milked the grift a bit more.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sydin posted:

Nobody else worth mentioning running as a D

Nobody actually willing to primary the sitting dem governor, in California? You don't say...

Quick, someone find Kevin de Leon.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Nobody actually willing to primary the sitting dem governor, in California? You don't say...

:hmmyes:
Same reason no one broke rank during the recall.

Sydin posted:

I can't find any mention of Cox whatsoever so I assume he finally got embarrassed enough about how much of a sad sack he looked like pretending he was a viable candidate to bow out as well.
But is the bear running? :ohdear:
I'd vote for the bear.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

BeAuMaN posted:

:hmmyes:
But is the bear running? :ohdear:
I'd vote for the bear.

I want to see the bear in a debate with the other candidates.

I bet it's got some strong opinions on environmental protections, trash cans, and any hidden snacks.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

jetz0r posted:

I want to see the bear in a debate with the other candidates.

I bet it's got some strong opinions on environmental protections, trash cans, and any hidden snacks.
:tbear:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I forgot who was the one with the bear but I think that person should run again and have a bear cam or something, really lean into the gimmick.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

sb hermit posted:

I forgot who was the one with the bear but I think that person should run again and have a bear cam or something, really lean into the gimmick.

what kinda bear cam are we talkin here

is it the sort with swanky sax music and leather

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

I mean, they should, cuz even if it pisses off the state and national party, nobody likes Newsom. Even people who aren't politics brained like us heard about him letting PG&E off the hook, and they are not happy about it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

what kinda bear cam are we talkin here

is it the sort with swanky sax music and leather

Just a bear doing what a bear desires, unscripted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sb hermit posted:

It was Cox iirc and he got really mad people fixated on the bear. So I think the chances of him leaning into it are slim

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It was Cox iirc and he got really mad people fixated on the bear. So I think the chances of him leaning into it are slim

:smith:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

It feels like a given that Feinstein is going to retire after her current term ends this year.

But.... but what if she decides to retire early and let Gavin select someone? Likely he'd choose one of his cronies, sure, but what would be a great choice to distract from his current woes and energize the populace enough to win re-election?

The joke answer is schwarzenegger. Maybe Danny Devito except he's not retired yet. Maybe a state senator like Dave Min or a us rep like Katie Porter.

But the true, out-of-left-field appointment would be gavin himself. Just drop the governorship and run for us senate so that he isn't in charge of statewide poo poo anymore.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

BeAuMaN posted:

Absolutely. His ego is too big. He's wanted to be President since he was Mayor of SF and wants to follow in the footsteps of the Kennedy brothers, who he sees as political role models.

There's still a small chance that he doesn't run. If Newsom recognizes that his odds of winning the Democratic primary are slim, then he might back off to spend time with his family. The guy has 4 young children that don't get to see him a whole lot.

I also think being Governor during the pandemic has taken a whole lot out of him. A whole bunch of his staff who he hired on in his first year in office were really experienced working in DC, but many of them have already left the administration in the last year and a half to take jobs working for the Biden Administration.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bet the only thing about the pandemic that worried Newsom was being beaten to the punch about writing a book about how amazing you are at handling it before the first year was over. he certainly didn't seem to give a poo poo being caught violating his own quarantine orders over and over

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think Feinstein is going to retire unless she is forced out.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

sb hermit posted:

It feels like a given that Feinstein is going to retire after her current term ends this year.

Her current term doesn't end till Jan. 2025.

With any luck, she can be talked into stepping down before then, but the problem is that between the dementia and her ego she's convinced that she's A-OK.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
What's the system / process for someone else taking over making decisions when your brain is mush? Is it up to her husband or next living relative?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Spouse, then Next of Kin unless someone has power of attorney that you handed them?

In this case I guess her Chief of Staff and staffers are responsible for getting mushbrains to sign off on poo poo.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A lot of states have adult protective service agencies & watchdogs; bank tellers, among others, are trained to recognize elder abuse & exploitation and encouraged, if not mandated, to call APS.

I wonder if her staffers have been tempted to call APS at times, except it's hard to say that she's being exploited rather than being the one doing the exploiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

droll posted:

What's the system / process for someone else taking over making decisions when your brain is mush? Is it up to her husband or next living relative?
I'm dealing with this. You have to go to court. Remember how Britney had a legal conservator appointed? Same deal, although the laws and details vary from state to state. My brother's doing all the legwork, but he waited until my mother was so demented that it was obvious to even a casual observer. (She'd been a care home for several years before that.) Having her have to physically appear in court and argue that she was intellectually competent was a horrible prospect.

Nobody in Feinstein's family is going to take DiFi to court for a legal conservatorship, (A) because Britney's imprisonment is fresh on everybody's mind (B) because she's well enough that she might not be judged incompetent (C) because of family shame and infighting. The only way to get her out is a recall (yeah, right), or the Senate voting to expel her, which won't happen. For one thing, too many other gaga Senators' staffs wouldn't support it.

e: Also, her husband died this year.