Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

kirbysuperstar posted:

PS1 (madden started in the SNES/SMD era)

Ah, I was confusing it with the football games I played as a kid and don't remember very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how do we know real life doesnt also crash on 256 points? We've only had a game that gone to 222.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

how do we know real life doesnt also crash on 256 points? We've only had a game that gone to 222.

Funny enough there is another Jon Bois video that covers this problem (not the 222 one, although he does have a video on that) - in the Troy State vs. DeVry game, they run into a problem with the scoreboard when Troy breaks 200 points because the scoreboard they had was not actually set up to display three full digits - it's basically a two digit scoreboard with an extra 1 in the front that can be turned on. It has no way to display a number that's above 199.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qx5ltnH8ft1wsbn2a.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

lol cky

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Forgot what thread I was in and was expecting a Skyrim joke at the end.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
TBH John Heisman was an actual game breaker. 222-0 (and really anything written by Jon Bois) js a tale that anyone can appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZzrsDJo-4

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Last night I was playing NHL21 in Be a Pro mode. I went to the bench after my shift and skipped until my next shift. When the game resumed, the camera went to the bench view but I couldn't see anyone on the ice and my player never jumped on. At first I thought there had been a call just before I could get on the ice, so I waited, but the game never seemed to resume and the commentators were still going at it, so I got worried that the game just kept going but the camera was stuck.

I paused the game, went into the replay theatre, and it turns out that it wasn't the case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd7Va5HOgBc

Sorry for lack of audio and lovely watermark.

Edit: Just so you know what's an edit and what's the game going crazy: For the first few seconds the face-off starts as usual, but then both teams teleport inside the boards in front of their respective bench and start doing this weird Silent Hill shuffle for about 10 seconds before all being teleported again to the center of the rink and exploding in a mess of bodies who finally all scatter to their usual positions, including both goalies and 3 referees.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Apr 11, 2022

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

CordlessPen posted:

Last night I was playing NHL21 in Be a Pro mode. I went to the bench after my shift and skipped until my next shift. When the game resumed, the camera went to the bench view but I couldn't see anyone on the ice and my player never jumped on. At first I thought there had been a call just before I could get on the ice, so I waited, but the game never seemed to resume and the commentators were still going at it, so I got worried that the game just kept going but the camera was stuck.

I paused the game, went into the replay theatre, and it turns out that it wasn't the case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd7Va5HOgBc

Sorry for lack of audio and lovely watermark.

Edit: Just so you know what's an edit and what's the game going crazy: For the first few seconds the face-off starts as usual, but then both teams teleport inside the boards in front of their respective bench and start doing this weird Silent Hill shuffle for about 10 seconds before all being teleported again to the center of the rink and exploding in a mess of bodies who finally all scatter to their usual positions, including both goalies and 3 referees.

Not a bug

New timbits hockey experience brought to you by EA

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Zil posted:

Forgot what thread I was in and was expecting a Skyrim joke at the end.

Same

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Latest Cyberpunk patch on PS5

https://twitter.com/PixelHunted/status/1513595516889800709?t=uZJ8yhNeW3ikKKsfnIMwSA&s=19

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

This is what happens when you take light-bikes off the Grid. Blame Kevin Flynn and CLU.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Last night I was playing the FF6 Pixel Remaster and got to the top of Kefka's Tower and fought the Magic Master. I started out by casting Reraise on Terra. The battle was wonky because he's supposed to have like 56,000 HP, but I hit him with a couple of Blizzaras, he hit me with Firagas that bounced off me, and then the game was like "WELP DONE WITH THIS poo poo" and hit me with his Ultima final attack. This is all fine and good, part of the script, though hella shorter than I remember it being.

It killed my entire party, but Terra didn't reraise. They all stayed dead. I won the battle, and was able to move down the tower until I hit another enemy, until the game properly noticed "hey you're dead" and ended it for me. I came back and everyone was still dead. Thank God I had some Phoenix Downs or there is no way I could have exited that place.

My best guess is casting the reraise activated a trigger on the backend, but for whatever reason the script didn't follow through if the battle ended before it was cast. Weird glitch tbh but it could have been kinda fun anywhere else.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sounds like a new flavor of an existing bug for the PR.

It makes sense in that it's just evaluating during combat if everyone is dead so if a script manages to avoid, skip, or ignore that for the moment there's the ability to get back to the map with everyone dead and the game won't bother to check until you're back in combat again.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Haha yeah, I had that exact same thing happen against Magimaster. It doesn't always happen since I watched someone else play him on youtube and reraise worked for them but it was funny.

Against the Umaro fight after he jumped at me I used Palidoor(or whatever they renamed it to) for a laugh and the game got really confused. Umaro landed first but him landing without a target seemed to glitch out and cause his sprite not to appear. Then my party landed but since Umaro was still untargettable their sprites also didn't appear. I couldn't use any abilities, attacks, items, or magic, or the like, the game would just make an error noise when I tried to target them. The game kept announcing abilities Umaro was theoretically trying to use but no animations would play. Sometimes my party's health would go down anyway but not every time. Eventually I just won the battle for no reason I could ascertain, but I suspect, somehow, some of Umaro's attacks were targeting himself when they couldn't properly target my team. But that's just a wild-assed guess.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Is there a space for 'least favorite glitch'?

https://twitter.com/apel__/status/1513870004898484229?t=YshdvAa_nfTTGgv7Tkjj0w&s=19

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."

Goddammit. No. You can't just do this.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
T-posing to the top, this is just more proof that Big Boss truely is jesus - Major Zero.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

lmao

https://twitter.com/weirdeggcarton/status/1513957786606092295?t=ws5A8geePccdKnjKPOAN6g&s=19

I'm guessing this is going to result in the complete obliteration of established speedrun records.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's currently apparently only usable in segmented runs, so no

edit: most runs these days are either RTA ('real time attack') where you play the game from start to end without any breaks or ILs ('individual levels' ) where you're doing the same thing but with games already split into pieces

segmented runs are where you stop at points throughout the game to checkpoint yourself, meaning that the next stretch of game until your next checkpoint is something you can repeat endlessly to get that part done as fast as possible -- you get a faster overall run but you stop risking losing a run by attempting risky strategies

flatluigi has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Apr 13, 2022

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

flatluigi posted:

it's currently apparently only usable in segmented runs, so no

The ladder reigns unchallenged :allears:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

even if it was usable in RTA, obviously for charity marathon situations the move is to add a donation incentive to force the runner to climb the ladder

save the ladder / kill the ladder

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Disrespecting The Ladder on these forums is akin to disrespecting Calvin and Hobbes. It's just a line we've all tacitly agreed not to cross.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The unrestricted category of Elden Ring speedrunning is pretty much all glitches. Dont watch if you haven't finished the game, but its only 7 minutes long and its a hoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuUEk6e1LOE

Heres a long explanation by the runner, distorion2 who has been chopping minutes off of his times in the past two weeks. Spoilered just in case as its a very long and tough game if you arent breaking it into little pieces.

quote:

This time I'm going to give a thorough explanation of what is going on in this category as this run was insane.

To start off, this run is done on CURRENT Patch as we believe it has more stability, and this falls into the UNRESTRICTED Any% category on https://www.speedrun.com/eldenring
This category allows ALL use of glitches and the ability to ALT+F4 the game to achieve the Wrong Warp. This allows us to enter Farum Azula and is why you see the game close during that segment.
The zip glitch further explained below is also extremely hardware dependent and requires a stable 60 fps as well as stable frametimes.
I also decided to use a keyboard mouse cam to further show legitimacy, and I switch to controller mainly for movement as that is what I mainly play the game with.
The timer also pauses as we use in-game time, which only continues when you are loaded into the game. We check the load screen at the end for the final time.

The run has pretty much come down to a test of a runners patience, nerves and the ability to perform 13 FRAME PERFECT glitches known as "The Zip". This zip glitch allows us to teleport a wide range of distances using a combination of blocking, holding walk, and pressing W to move forward with a combination of 139 frames. If the two actions add up to 139, you teleport, and this distance can vary depending on the combination. The longer you hold W, the further you go. Some zips are so precise, that you need the walk and block duration to line up perfectly, which makes them double frame perfect :)

I'm not even done yet, as we also have a newfound discovery which is the reason why we no longer have to fight bosses. This is thanks to speedrunner SeekerTV, and it is known as the "Megazip". This is done by performing a normal zip, and pressing W to walk forward again within a 12-14 frame window after the initial zip. This nearly quadruples your momentum launching you significantly further.

We can use this megazip to kill Maliketh as well as Elden Beast. We don't fully understand what is going on behind the scenes, but we believe that by going far enough away from a boss arena, the platforms deload and the bosses begin to fall to their demise. In normal circumstances, we wouldn't be able to use this as our character would normally die before the boss does. This is due to the inherent fall timer in Elden Ring which will kill you after roughly 13 seconds of falling. However, by doing a mid-air attack we can actually reset this timer allowing us to fall even longer than the normal 13 seconds. This buys us just enough time to fall for long enough where the boss will die before us.

Maliketh "Megazip" requires extremely specific positioning and angles as to have your character get "zipped" high enough where you can fall for roughly 8 seconds before attacking. If you launch too high, the game wont let you attack. If you launch too low, you will die before the boss does. You also have to deal with performing a frame perfect glitch under high pressure with an angry Maliketh trying to kill you :)

The Elden Beast "Megazip" is a bit easier as we start as the Vagabond class, which has enough starting equipment that we can reach "Heavy Equip Load". (We also use this for the second zip of the run). This heavy equip load causes zips to go roughly 8% further and allows us to get just enough distance enabling us to more consistently to kill Hoarah Loux. It is a blessing that he has a cutscene, as when his first phase dies, it teleports us saving us from very imminent death. Elden Beast takes a bit longer to fall for whatever reason, and lucky for us the timing lines up perfectly where we can get piledrived by Hoarah Loux and receive the "God Slain" message indicating Elden Beast is dead right as the screen fades to black.

The final boss is now dead and we are teleported to the final platform where we can beat the game. Radagon gets to survive, as the only trigger check for being able to activate the Statue is whether or not Elden Beast is dead. Hope this explanation helps and thank you for watching!

A different type of run, where you kill some major bosses to gain their remembrances uses this fun glitch to fly all over the map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFefJaUi5jU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can someone explain the ladder? I only played the first two MGS games, so I don’t know the agony you people are in.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

At about the midpoint of the game, you have to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgaYe4ZYYyY

It's one of the most iconic moments in all of video games. If you've played Elden Ring and wondered why people keep leaving messages about snakes around ladders, this is why.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's a three-minute ladder climb following a climactic scene while emotional music plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgaYe4ZYYyY

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dabir posted:

It's one of the most iconic moments in all of video games. If you've played Elden Ring and wondered why people keep leaving messages about snakes around ladders, this is why.

Is this hyperbole? What makes this iconic? At first I thought you were joking but now I'm not sure.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's after quite a lot of sneaking and tension and one of the tensest boss fights in gaming (at least up to that point) and it's the first time the main theme of the game plays since the opening cinematic as you're on your way to kill your former mentor. It's a pretty big deal.

E: Just play it, geez.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's also iconic because the rhythm of MGS3 works on peaks and troughs, where you always get a moment to calm down after a boss fight. The ladder allows you to catch your breath, and reflect on what you've done.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you may have heard people talk about these metal gear solid games. three is very arguably the best one.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah it really needs the context of the whole game to say why it's a big moment, not just a video of Snake climbing a ladder out of nowhere.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what a thrill

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

It's after quite a lot of sneaking and tension and one of the tensest boss fights in gaming (at least up to that point) and it's the first time the main theme of the game plays since the opening cinematic as you're on your way to kill your former mentor. It's a pretty big deal.

I tried playing it many years ago, but it was much too difficult for me. Now I'm afraid it'd be too clunky compared to current games.

Anyways, I'll leave this here. It's a player taking advantage and totally manipulating the guard AI to do some funny things with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le23bsVURds

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

I tried playing it many years ago, but it was much too difficult for me. Now I'm afraid it'd be too clunky compared to current games.

Anyways, I'll leave this here. It's a player taking advantage and totally manipulating the guard AI to do some funny things with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le23bsVURds

Yeah Saru is a Metal Gear master, he's done most of the games and messes with the AI in absolutely hilarious ways. Some of his MGS5 videos are downright artful.

MGS3 now... is a bit clunky. But it's still good once you adjust to it. The story is fantastic though and it has some of the best boss fights in the series. Give it another shot if you can!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I might have gotten it from this thread, in which case I apologize for the repost, but have this Oblivion guard who loves getting stuck in doors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxUrZFAPdiU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Spek posted:

Haha yeah, I had that exact same thing happen against Magimaster. It doesn't always happen since I watched someone else play him on youtube and reraise worked for them but it was funny.

Against the Umaro fight after he jumped at me I used Palidoor(or whatever they renamed it to) for a laugh and the game got really confused. Umaro landed first but him landing without a target seemed to glitch out and cause his sprite not to appear. Then my party landed but since Umaro was still untargettable their sprites also didn't appear. I couldn't use any abilities, attacks, items, or magic, or the like, the game would just make an error noise when I tried to target them. The game kept announcing abilities Umaro was theoretically trying to use but no animations would play. Sometimes my party's health would go down anyway but not every time. Eventually I just won the battle for no reason I could ascertain, but I suspect, somehow, some of Umaro's attacks were targeting himself when they couldn't properly target my team. But that's just a wild-assed guess.

ha! I think Palidoor has several glitches, and I just ran into another one last night.

I was on the Veldt and Strago had the cursed shield. I used Palidoor against Holy Dragon and down comes Locke, down comes Relm....... and that's it. Strago was out there in the ether, hitting me with the Healing Rod, and I could target him, but he definitely wasn't on the field at all. It was kind of weird tbh. Didn't affect me none but it was still kinda funny

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Stare-Out posted:

I have an allergy to ridiculously long cutscenes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
cutscenes are fine when they're interesting or compelling and gamers being against them always makes me wonder if they ever sit and watch a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MGS3's cutscenes are absolutely fine so it's a silly argument. I mean MGS4 pushed it a bit but it's all story that you wouldn't really get through gameplay so whatever.