Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Gaius Marius posted:

Potatoes are a better use for bacon fat then eggs

Correct! Potatoes, then eggs!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

Potatoes are a better use for bacon fat then eggs

Duck fat is even better

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I only eat bacon nowadays if I'm at a hotel breakfast or someone is cooking it for me. Actually choosing to buy bacon just seems like a bit much.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think that, while the culture around YA fiction is pretty hosed, the books themselves are fine and it’s no more problematic to consume them than any other genre fiction.

Smutty romances should reel way back on the “sexy kidnapping” trope though. The guy who kidnaps you should not be your boyfriend, holy moly

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think all people are just about the same wherever you are (except scandinavians)

Yes, it sucks up there and I don't want their smug scand opinions near me.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Turkey bacon is better than pork bacon. Beef bacon is loving awful.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes, it sucks up there and I don't want their smug scand opinions near me.

Does that include Finland? Swedes indeed are very smug, and Finland used to be their colony and a barrier where Russia attacked first if it was attacking Sweden.

Still is in fact, with conscription and a reserve of 900 000 soldiers, while Sweden basically ended their army except for professionals for peacekeeping missions.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Blue Moonlight posted:

Properly fried ground beef is the superior meat

Second up is pork bacon, but specifically UK/Canadian bacon

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

doverhog posted:

I only eat bacon nowadays if I'm at a hotel breakfast or someone is cooking it for me. Actually choosing to buy bacon just seems like a bit much.

Not the worst post in this thread, but definitely the most confusing

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aramek posted:

I like soft, floppy bacon more than crispy, turgid bacon.
I think Americans only prefer crispy bacon because they're stuck with the lovely stuff instead of proper middle or shortcut bacon.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
We can buy that too. Do you think pigs in the US have different anatomy or something?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've actually read that pork in America are like supermodels with regards to how much better the stock is these days even compared to the 1970s.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Blue Moonlight posted:

Turkey bacon is better with breakfast, pork bacon is better on a burger, beef bacon is best in the garbage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

Does that include Finland? Swedes indeed are very smug, and Finland used to be their colony and a barrier where Russia attacked first if it was attacking Sweden.

Still is in fact, with conscription and a reserve of 900 000 soldiers, while Sweden basically ended their army except for professionals for peacekeeping missions.

Finland is an axis power and people need to come to terms with that, and scandinavian depending on if one is trying to dunk or not, that's the only reason. Geographically no, it's just nearby, functionally yes it's in Scandinavia and one of the smuggest of all.

Why am I supposed to care about finnish military strength though? Ok get Russia that's so badass conscript everyone except I really hope ya don't because half my loving family is russian and Sweden is the country actually building equipment anyway.

Russian culture loving rules, russian people loving rule, the russian language loving rule, it all loving rules. That's my PHUO.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There were fascist ambitions during the continuation war, but Russia attacked first during the winter war. Hell, there were fascist ambitions before that and a civil war too in 1918, immediately after Lenin granted independence.

I'm throwing shade at Sweden for always, for hundreds of years, being ready to fight any war down to the last Finn. Google isoviha. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_during_the_Great_Northern_War

I'm sorry if your family is suffering because of the war, it's not their fault.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Apr 9, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I once saw the phrase "mommy milky" on twitter and that, plus my lactose intolerance, has ruined the dairy experience for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MJHxn15_84

I had this recommended to me, so now everyone needs to suffer with me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think a lot of non-LGBT people are going to be surprised by how readily liberals accept the rollback of LGBT rights and acceptance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Robobot posted:

We can buy that too. Do you think pigs in the US have different anatomy or something?
Just because something exists doesn't mean you can buy it - at least not easily. The lovely American-style bacon is available here too, but it's way less common. And there are other parts of animals that you can also technically buy if you ask a butcher to get them for you specially, but you'll never see them otherwise. Anyway, I assume most Americans don't have ready access to good bacon because it's the only reasonable explanation for them only eating the bad kind.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Robobot posted:

By and large the best quality pork gets exported and the American market gets inferior quality pork cuts. This is because historically pork has been less popular in the US and considered a poor person's substitute for beef. This is changing some with pork, goat and lamb gaining ground but they are still generally seen as specialty meats with much getting sold to immigrants/religious groups for holidays or exported. There's also a large variety of ways to cut and process a carcass that gives different cuts so yes pigs do have different anatomy depending on the market and cultural background of the butcher.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was a while when crispy pork belly was trendy in American restaurants so we have plenty of supply. We just don't smoke it like bacon for some reason.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Back bacon is a thin cut of pork chop

It's available at every full grocery store everywhere

It's not some secret exotic cut of meat known only to the inscrutable euros

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
the best bacon is the type shown in this typical scottish breakfast and ideally smoked, the thin american stuff is alright too but its not what i think of when you say bacon

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't like most smoked food. Unsmoked bacon is quite nice!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the best bacon is the type shown in this typical scottish breakfast and ideally smoked, the thin american stuff is alright too but its not what i think of when you say bacon

this style of egg sucks. just perfectly white with no crisp and pale yolk because its some cheap factory farmed egg. the haggis and black pudding and tomatoes are the only really good things here

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The yolk looks pale because it has cooked white on it. It's otherwise orange

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Shibawanko posted:

this style of egg sucks. just perfectly white with no crisp and pale yolk because its some cheap factory farmed egg. the haggis and black pudding and tomatoes are the only really good things here

You can actually cook any egg over-easy

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

yeah looks too much liked a poached egg which is the worst way to consume egg

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Put some oil in the pan for that egg and it'll turn out a lot better with nice lace edges.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Robobot posted:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Missed the point by a mile. You can buy back bacon in the US

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

Missed the point by a mile. You can buy back bacon in the US

Yeah once you've sold it your customer is going to just be confused if you try to buy it back.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you're wrapping something in bacon, you should just be honest with yourself and only eat bacon, because you're sure as heck not fooling anyone else.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What the gently caress is with bacon?

Why is saying bacon funny?

Bacon sux is my unpopular opinion.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you're wrapping something in bacon, you should just be honest with yourself and only eat bacon, because you're sure as heck not fooling anyone else.

The BLT is underappreciated by the bacon lover crowd. Stop making bacon abominations and go to the farmers market for some fresh produce.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
BLTs are always a solid choice

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

credburn posted:

What the gently caress is with bacon?

Why is saying bacon funny?

Bacon sux is my unpopular opinion.

it's random dude

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Twitter is such a cesspit it manages to piss me off when I've not used it actively for like 3 year, oh want a better look at this picture? gently caress you you click on the twitter photo and then immediately get shoved to twitter.com with an unskippable log-in box right over the picture you wanted. Oh you clicked on a thread in the something awful app? Don't start reading it just yet, give it 20 seconds to load in a bunch of vaguely referential tweets which are on average about a twentieth as funny or interesting as the person posting them thought they were

anyway, this isn't a new opinion, i think the consensus on the internet or forums like this is twitter is really bad but do us a favour, if you still have the app, or the bookmark or even an account, just get rid of it, just go cold turkey, and uninstall it and pretend like it doesn't exist, its' not heroin, you'll have a rough 20 minutes before the next internet novelty distracts you and you'll find yourself emotionally and mentally much better off until you want to click on a 25 year old picture of a local club legend football player and twitter says "gently caress you, get an account"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i think the consensus on the internet or forums like this is twitter is really bad

My unpopular opinion is that Twitter is actually pretty good if you don't use it to inflict misery on yourself. There are aspects of the site design that are annoying (like having to click through to see full images or play videos), but as far as the main things that people usually complain about (ie. subjecting yourself to content that makes you sad/angry/whatever) the solution is simple: only follow people who post stuff you like. You don't have to follow people who post things you don't like. Whenever I look at Twitter I generally see stuff I enjoy. You actually have a lot of control over what you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Social media as a whole is kind of bonkers

It's catastrophically harmful at the personal and societal level and yet very few people will actually give it up. It makes it even worse that vulnerable populations seem to drink the poison harder than anyone else. I honestly think that social media is like the number two danger to the the human population behind climate change

In fifty years we're going to talk about social media the same way we talk about leaded gasoline or patent medicine today