Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have been using unblockers about once a month, but I ran out and didn't get anymore. I'll buy a bottle tomorrow and give that a try. I've got a plunger maybe I could give that a try too. Usually used for the bath (there is definitely a plumbing problem there where if I fill the bathroom sink and then unplug it, the water bubbles up in the bath - like I said 'cowboys'. I want a new bathroom but finding non-cowboys who don't charge £12k or whatever that I cannot afford in the slightest is a nightmare!)

A kettle of boiling water down the plughole every week or so can help prolong the time between formal unblockings.
My partner likes those soap bars that have seen alkali the same way a good martini sees vermouth. Our bathroom sink outlet has a flat section a metre or two long and they recongeal in it. I should find a way of recovering and re-using them really.

e: The BR class 111 is a modification of the class 101 which was a highly successful train from the golden times when crashworthiness was for cowards.

Endjinneer fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Endjinneer posted:

A kettle of boiling water down the plughole every week or so can help prolong the time between formal unblockings.
My partner likes those soap bars that have seen alkali the same way a good martini sees vermouth. Our bathroom sink outlet has a flat section a metre or two long and they recongeal in it. I should find a way of recovering and re-using them really.

e: The BR class 111 is a modification of the class 101 which was a highly successful train from the golden times when crashworthiness was for cowards.

Yeah I do that too with soda crystals when I have any :)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ed: checked the inlet hoses - both absolutely bone dry. Ran water down the sink and it leaked again. Did some plunging too. Definitely seems to be the connector joint. Guess I'll need to fiddle with it and see if it has come loose somehow. (Every time I've got a plumber, it comes to over £100 and I just don't have that kind of money unless I absolutely must. God alone knows how folk on NMW or benefits manage with broken stuff.)

Solidarity Fund is there if you need it, plumbing headaches wouldn't be the most trivial request we've had.

But also you can get squeeze tubes of plumber's silicone that you can put on screw connectors to help them stay watertight.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My mum [...] came round mine coughing without covering her mouth up, violently projecting her lung gases around my flat (which surprises me given I was brought up by her very self to cover mouth when coughing). I made her sit by an open window and I wore 3 masks while she was here.

Parents Respecting Their Children Challenge (Any Age) (IMPOSSIBLE)

Families, eh. Still remember mom showing up at my first flat, uninvited, and lighting up. Sure, I'd luv too have my new furnishings stinking of fag smoke, great, thanks.

Gotta love 'em.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kecske posted:

what the
I'll claim that was auto correct but it wasn't :eng99:

Only Kindness posted:

Not too odd at all, Specsavers has many people per day putting skin on their apparatus (fnarr fnarr). You better believe they are wiping it down after each and asking people to mask up where possible.

Anyway, redundant question, short of any actual legal obligations (now rescinded) you cannot personally legislate for what anyone else will do, so just protect yourself and others to whatever degree you think necessary. Wear a mask and wash your hands, is what I am saying.
I thought the ability to catch Covid from surfaces had been dismissed as minimal compared to breathing in the same air as infected people in close quarters? Unless some people are still washing down their shopping when they get home?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Maugrim posted:

Solidarity Fund is there if you need it, plumbing headaches wouldn't be the most trivial request we've had.

But also you can get squeeze tubes of plumber's silicone that you can put on screw connectors to help them stay watertight.

Thanks Maugrim. I'm ok financially for now.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I thought the ability to catch Covid from surfaces had been dismissed as minimal compared to breathing in the same air as infected people in close quarters? Unless some people are still washing down their shopping when they get home?

Address your concerns to Specsavers, they're doing it to avoid COMMERCIAL risk more than anything.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I guess glasses might be a bit more of a risk because they're continually touching the nose and right next to the eyes? i mean that's assuming customers aren't sticking them right up any of their orifices, though maybe that's a key stress test i've been missing out on

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whenever I went to get my eyes done I had to try quite hard to not laugh as the optometrist was about an inch from smooching me, so yes masks are a good idea.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Whenever I went to get my eyes done I had to try quite hard to not laugh as the optometrist was about an inch from smooching me, so yes masks are a good idea.

At my last eye appointment the doc said she was dreading the eventual end of the mask policy at the hospital, because she hadn't had to deal with anyone's breath for two years now. Then she paused for a second and went "Well... apart from one person, anyway" in a way that once again made me realise just how underpaid everyone in the NHS is.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
In London around me (Finsbury Park) some people still wear masks. I’m on holiday in Herefordshire and when I’ve been to the supermarket here it’s about 99% no masks. (And a lot cheaper than London).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I was in a car showroom the other day and nobody at all was wearing a mask but there was a little bit of perspex on the desk for the two minutes the salesman was actually sat down working on the computer.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

TACD posted:

I was in a car showroom the other day and nobody at all was wearing a mask but there was a little bit of perspex on the desk for the two minutes the salesman was actually sat down working on the computer.

perhaps they are more worried about computer viruses (virii)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dadjoke:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

therattle posted:

In London around me (Finsbury Park) some people still wear masks.

Uh oh

I think you're my closest UKMTer

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Uh oh

I live on CORBYN STREET. (Really). (I’m not worried about being doxxed, CineD posters can easily figure out who I am).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Uh oh

better buy the kid an account ASAP

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Speaking of lovely things we just can't seem to get rid of, didn't BRITANES SWEETHEART ARE JOANNE's latest excrescence come out this weekend?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
LOOK WHAT SOME BASTARDS DID https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61061057

break their legs i would :mcrappe:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

There's a lot of 'gotta hand it to him' going around with Boris' visit to Ukraine. Not that the help is a bad thing at all mind.
Yeah this was one of the more surprising ones:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1512909065810231302?t=VgULizca7hlYA66qQ9lSnA&s=19

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?t=HYNxDlrgMGiqQssMK2wp7Q&s=19

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
A few bad apples https://twitter.com/mikewhoatv/status/1512786933050617856

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I'll claim that was auto correct but it wasn't :eng99:

I did a spittake on seeing that phrase actually. Used to be a goon who was famous for that phrase, as in mocked. GI Joe Dirtbag, got called out by another goon in helldump.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"For all ostensive purposes" works as an expression with similar but different enough meaning to the 'proper' expression that it should definitely be used to mucky the water.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I don't think it's balls so much as Boris having a Dodo like attitude to danger. He has no concept of it. Same attitude that saw him go to hospitals and lick doorhandles at the start of the pandemic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Overcome all reasonable response to fear at BoJo's Dodo Mojo Dojo (Soho)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah inserting himself into situations where he achieves nothing is literally all he does.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is having a reckless attitude to danger not one of the big psychopathy traits?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah inserting himself into situations where he achieves nothing is literally all he does.

Unfortunately he has achieved conception upon insertion ███████ times.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Maybe he does have a concept of danger but he's just going "They won't kill me, that would trigger World War 3 :smug:" without appreciation that its dumb as gently caress to take that risk for a photo op and a couple percentage points in the polls.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

He's achieved at least seven not-nothings by inserting himself though?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

There was no danger. The Russians retreated from Kyiv days ago, other western leaders were taking trains into the city weeks ago while it was still being bombed. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60757157

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

keep punching joe posted:

Is having a reckless attitude to danger not one of the big psychopathy traits?

Yes, it is.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I know it should be expected given who this is, but it’s still ridiculous in the middle of such a rise in living costs that’s REALLY going to bite in the next few months for Labour to come out and tell people to just grit their teeth and bear it

https://twitter.com/mccarthyfintan/status/1513360307997057026?s=21&t=353dHbaQ6PqC6LaOdzXt4A

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Mebh posted:

In other news, has anyone had any experience with ME/CFS and the NHS? My wife was diagnosed not too long ago and she handed me the symptom leaflet she got and its a huge checklist for everything that is me. I've been looking up ADHD interactions/similarities and dang. Everything about hypersensitivity, lethargy and pain. There's a lot of commonality.

I'm just not convinced the NHS will do poo poo over me talking to my ADHD doctors. It seems to be another one like IBS that is "well, you have it... It just needs to be managed, bye!"

first up, sorry for your missus/you, me/cfs is horrendous loving shite, there's no two ways about it

Diagnosis was based largely on testing for everything else it could be- it took 4 or 5 years of constant symptoms and blood tests, being told it was probably something else (lyme disease, borellia, some poo poo that was rare and just known by letters and numbers etc) then further scans and biopsies till the docs eventually gave up and packed me off to the me/cfs clinic because there were no more tests to run

NHS care for cfs/me varies a fuckload depending on where you are- my care package was twofold, they sent me off to the occupational therapists and I'm technically on a waiting list for the pain clinic but lol maybe in a few years

For the pain I'm on private script legal weed because it's the only thing that actually works- it's not cheap even if you get a discount (project T21) and it's a bunch of hassle compared with black market but it's legal and it works

Occupational therapy sessions were a series of online small group meetings over a few weeks to push various strategies focused on energy management and acceptance and then get you to report back on how it went- a lot of it seemed counter intuitive and weird but having the peer/group setting and hearing other people's experiences helped and over time I picked up/practiced/developed some stuff that really helped me get a little productivity/predictability back- wish I could have some more of that poo poo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1513432806688448515

thanks keith

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Your one stop shop for misogynist, racist, and queer bashing memes.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
We just cannot afford to pay teachers more. But our police-hub in every living room policy is fully costed!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Poverty will be history when everyone is employed as a cop.

Perhaps even some kind of society where everyone is at once called to play the role of both guard and prisoner.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I loving hate the Labour Party, maybe more than the current government.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ASBO2.0 BABY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Is there a groundswell of people out there that are looking at the state of the UK and going "what this situation needs is more cops, policing us, preferably, and not going after the many and routine crimes commmitted every day by agents of capitalism" or is he just doing his usual thing of starting from an outcome he wants (more cops) and then imagining what he'd say to people who were asking for it?