Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

i can specify sliced in 12 on the app :smugdog:

pro/con pineapple aside, pineapple is cold and full of liquid. if you're gonna do a pineapple pizza, specify well-done. the pineapple chunks suck up all the heat and that pizza is raw in the middle

This has never been a problem for me in pineapplepizzaland because every pizza place here makes thin crust pizza which cooks really fast from both top and bottom in a pizza oven and nobody uses that much pineapple on one single pizza anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

bad_fmr posted:

Incoming massive derail because that thing has pinapple on it.

What heresy is this! :argh:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

at least it's not mayo and shrimp and tuna or w/e they do in northern europe

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
As an Italian let me just say the food police thing is so loving tiring

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mortons stork posted:

As an Italian let me just say the food police thing is so loving tiring

the only pizza place in the nigerian city i lived in was a lebanese guy who would dump sugar into the dough. artichoke donut

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

at least it's not mayo and shrimp and tuna or w/e they do in northern europe

Tuna is good on pizza. It's a german thing I believe but we certainly do it in the nordic countries. I've also noticed that if you order a peperoni pizza here, you might get tuna & bell peppers on it sometimes.

My SO once ordered this pizza.

(cevapcici)

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

the only pizza place in the nigerian city i lived in was a lebanese guy who would dump sugar into the dough. artichoke donut

Hope the locals enjoyed it then

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

His Divine Shadow posted:

11 dollars is on the lower end of what I've heard,

One of the major national chains in :911: sells a large pizza for $5. It's not great, but it's $5.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Yeah, adding sugar helps cut down on cooking times, makes the dough easier to handle and fluffier etc. Always assume that everyone does it.

Tuna is good on pizza. It's a german thing I believe but we certainly do it in the nordic countries. I've also noticed that if you order a peperoni pizza here, you might get tuna & bell peppers on it sometimes.

(cevapcici)

This on the other hand, is a abomination unto god

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

(cevapcici)

I'm calling The Hague to report a crime against humanity.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

(cevapcici)

A pizza place reopened near me, acquiring the place from a Neapolitan old dude. They seems to be Romanian and added grill servings with ciba and so on. Even then they didn't decide to engage in psychological warfare such as that abomination. Good christ.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

(cevapcici)

The one thing I've learned from watching US sports live on the Internet is that their pizza from chains is disturbingly cheap. $5 for a large pizza is bonkers.

As bonkers as that pictured pizza. IDK, just give me a margarita. Toppings are a bourgeois excess.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

(cevapcici)

I would so eat that. Cevaps are great.

Its not a pizza though.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I hope the french election produces headlines as good as this one.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

EU integration happens no matter what the polls say. the legal setup is for EU law to gradually supersede and replace national law as it expands in an organic way. there's no need to actually run on EU integration, it happens more or less on its own.

The inner workings of the EU are relatively opaque (feature, not bug, etc.), but it still seems like individual states can slow integration processes down, if not out-right stop them. A really, really stupid example is Finnish legislation on the selling of alcohol: we've been at open war with the EU bureaucracy for decades now because our government would really, really prefer it if we didn't drink as much booze as we do, and a historic way of achieving that has been with the semi-paradoxical idea of state monopoly on booze-selling. You actually can buy some alcohol from the grocery store nowadays, but as you as a Norwegian are probably aware, the situation was in many ways silly a few decades ago. And the current struggle is whether Finns can purchase alcohol over the internet, from abroad!, who pays the taxes and at what stage, etc. Now obviously the grander scheme of the EU peace project isn't really harmed by Finns buying or not buying cheap hooch from Germany, but the inevitability of the EU processes don't seem fully automagic.

I haven't really kept up with the shenanigans of our own right-wing eurosceptics who actually got voted into the EU parliament, but a lot of them were/are sufficiently loony-tunes to be relatively harmless, legislatively. Putin's horrible war really did a number on eurosceptics Europe-wide, at least, but so long as the EU exists, it seems like it will inevitably channel the protest slash populist voting all around.

Sorry for intruding on pizza-chat everybody :)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Further EU integration isn't automatic at all. Keeping centrifugal forces from ripping the union apart requires constant work. I'd argue further that taking the current level of integration for granted is dangerous.

Also, I wouldn't call the inner workings of the EU opaque. They are hilariously complex, but transparently so. There's an absolute deluge of documents being produced by the EU, it just doesn't help you understand what's going on unless you are a full-time EU document reader.

Like, I read this document title:

quote:

COMMISSION DELEGATED REGULATION (EU) /... supplementing Regulation (EU) 2019/2088 of the European Parliament and of the Council with regard to regulatory technical standards specifying the details of the content and presentation of the information in relation to the principle of ‘do no significant harm’, specifying the content, methodologies and presentation of information in relation to sustainability indicators and adverse sustainability impacts, and the content and presentation of the information in relation to the promotion of environmental or social characteristics and sustainable investment objectives in pre-contractual documents, on websites and in periodic reports

And … okay. Parsing hundreds of document titles in this format gives me a headache.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Further EU integration isn't automatic at all. Keeping centrifugal forces from ripping the union apart requires constant work. I'd argue further that taking the current level of integration for granted is dangerous.

Also, I wouldn't call the inner workings of the EU opaque. They are hilariously complex, but transparently so. There's an absolute deluge of documents being produced by the EU, it just doesn't help you understand what's going on unless you are a full-time EU document reader.

It can be dangerous, I agree, but that's sort of the bed the EU made themselves. Obviously the world was crazy in a different way back around the 90's, and fukuyamaism hadn't been totally discredited yet, but the whole "end of history" nonsense created a lot of rhetoric that was maybe less than optimal. It's the inherent contradiction of the EU, that it has to keep saddling between further, open integration and trying to herd a bunch of wet cats in a bag, metaphorically speaking. But the Germans and the French haven't tried killing half the continent for a long time now, so EU definitely has its perks!

Also, fun fact, one time when I and a couple of my friends were having a get-together, it seemed like a good idea at the time for us to try and figure out exactly how the EU legislative process works compared to the Finnish one, and it took us some time and several poorly drawn diagrams. We were quite drunk at the time, though. I do understand the reasoning behind the EU being convoluted, but it was kind of hilarious to contrast the EU system with the Finnish parliament, which is also a bit complex in some ways, but nothing like the intertwining between the EU commission, the council, etc. As you say, the EU does produce a lot of text on what it's doing, and sometimes even why, but it's the sort of text that make my eyes hurt, and I actually read some political history for fun every now and then.

I suppose a more apt comparison would be the US federal government, but obviously the American union is fundamentally different from ours, for several historical reasons.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Output of documentation alone does not equate to any substantive notion of transparency, especially when it crosses the threshold of needing to read hundreds of them full time to keep up.
If your bureaucracy outputs so many documents, all written in its own idiosyncratic jargon and referencing other documents, and nothing for outsiders, it is being compliant with transparency norms, yes. But that's where I'd stop.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Antigravitas posted:

Also, I wouldn't call the inner workings of the EU opaque. They are hilariously complex, but transparently so.

We only know of what went on in the Code of Conduct group on Business Taxation since its creation 25 or so years ago from leaked German diplomatic cables, leaked as part of LuxLeaks.

So I would call it loving opaque.

Plus, creating tons of unreadable documents, that only organizations with large legal departments can parse IS opaque. "Hilariously complex but not technically opaque! Lol " is just playing word games.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Antigravitas posted:

I’m pretty sure this sort of thing counts as opaque. Like, drowning the opposing council in documents is highly frowned upon in lawyer circles AFAIK, and at least lawyers are supposedly qualified to deal with it.

What’s the status on communication on actual strategic plans for the future of the EU, not what the buerocrats vomit out when things have been decided?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Did you take my description of the EU legal texts as an endorsement or something?

Crafting policy for a bloc this large is naturally going to include lots of paperwork. At least with the EU, I can actually access it instead of having to order it in dead-tree form my government…

I don't know what you mean by "strategic plans". Horizon Europe?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Did you take my description of the EU legal texts as an endorsement or something?

Crafting policy for a bloc this large is naturally going to include lots of paperwork. At least with the EU, I can actually access it instead of having to order it in dead-tree form my government…

I don't know what you mean by "strategic plans". Horizon Europe?
This is an extremely German post.

But yeah, you called it not opaque, when it clearly is, which is definitely a kind of endorsement outside thinking opaque is better than transparent. The fact that Germany is like the least digital society on Earth also makes it a pretty bad benchmark to compare the EU against.

As for strategic plans, that's where you lay out a vision for the future and a general outline for how you get there. By the time you get to poo poo like Horizon Europe you're talking about the bureaucratic implementation of strategies, not the strategies themselves.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

And … okay. Parsing hundreds of document titles in this format gives me a headache.

I was always under the impression that the EU is purposefully bureaucratic and slow to avoid rash, hot headed decisions. Which I suppose was a necessity to temper historically turbulent european nations

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we have a referendum on banning pineapple talk.

Call it pinexit.

We must secure an existence for pineapple on pizza and the future of pizza.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Can we have a referendum on banning pineapple talk.

Call it pinexit.

We must secure an existence for pineapple on pizza and the future of pizza.
Pineapple talk is banned, now only ananas talk remains.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Gentlemen, pineapple calzone, discuss.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

An insane mind posted:

It's like a Kinder-surprise – filled with delicious salmonella.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

It's like a Kinder-surprise – filled with delicious salmonella.
If your pizzeria doesn't cook the food enough to kill salmonella (which can't survive above 47c), there are so many things deeply wrong that I'm not even sure where to start.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

An insane mind posted:

No.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is this what they call horseshoe theory?

https://twitter.com/expatua/status/1513199601477689348?t=fzlhA8XKLZacEoZdkRVqLg&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Because the theory is that Marine Le Pen is so stupid because someone used her head as the post for a game of horseshoes?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Antigravitas posted:

keeping the EU together is a constant struggle. keeping it integrating is really not - as far as i can tell hardly anybody ever runs on EU integration, but it keeps happening through legal rulings and the way EU law is supposed to supersede national law (kind of sort of you know um eh ah).

i also agree wtih a buttery pastry that this is the opposite of transparent. when you put out thousands of pages of documents in leaden prose it is, in fact, opaque even if people have a theoretical ability to look at it if they can't figure out wtf is going on without their own counter-bureaucracy

Zlodo posted:

I was always under the impression that the EU is purposefully bureaucratic and slow to avoid rash, hot headed decisions. Which I suppose was a necessity to temper historically turbulent european nations

the EU is intensely bureaucratic because it has to operate more or less by consensus, i.e. by getting tiny and seemingly inoffensive changes through to which nobody seriously objects before it's implemented and clearly this subclause means that you cannot regulate the broadcast of certain kinds of advertisement so long as the actual broadcasting station is placed outside of your territory unless it's through one of the sub-sub-clauses that we had to grandfather in because the estonians caught us and insisted on it*

i don't know if that was actually the estonians

they're also very good at making regulation that does what it's intended to. some EU regulations, like GDPR, is shockingly effective compared to what i gathered was the expectation at the time it was originally proposed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

An insane mind posted:

the whole point of it as a pizza topping is that the pineapple gets a lil char from the direct heat of the oven. this is awful

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

No one realizes the merits of a nice soggy from heated fruitjuices pineapple calzone to feed the elderly. You barely have to chew.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

An insane mind posted:

No one realizes the merits of a nice soggy from heated fruitjuices pineapple calzone to feed the elderly. You barely have to chew.
Yep, the juices from the pineapples pre-digest the elderly nicely.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

w/e they do in northern europe

:sweden:

SO said it was "fine".

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

People say Swedish pizza is revolting, but I love it and I’m happy they trained our Polish pizza chefs in the 90s so they could bring back the ham/mayo/shrimp/mushroom/onion combo

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

it's weird how bread prices have nearly doubled in the last two years in the US but most people are too loving rich to even notice

The dirty secret is that the US is extremely self-sufficient in cheap vegetable oil and cheap sources of carbohydrates. So while inflation might impact specific food groups harsh the core baseline processed substitutes are very resilient price-wise.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

MiddleOne posted:

The dirty secret is that the US is extremely self-sufficient in cheap vegetable oil and cheap sources of carbohydrates. So while inflation might impact specific food groups harsh the core baseline processed substitutes are very resilient price-wise.

Well at least in the us a lot of the inflation has been driven by price gouging(mostly the eye poping meat numbers, market concentration has gotten kinda crazy in it). A loaf of sourdough fundamental should cost not much more than similar white bread but usually has a 2-4 dollar yuppie markup. And that's on top of the fact a main street Bakery half the loaf of bread is rent, so it's land value speculation based inflation as much as consumer goods and staples.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013