Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That loving Sned posted:

There's no soldier or gunshot in the original version of the scene. Why would they shoot the terminally ill girl and not capture her like Gerald?

Gerald wasn’t killed because he wasn’t on the ARK at the time.

Augus fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

That loving Sned posted:

There's no soldier or gunshot in the original version of the scene. Why would they shoot the terminally ill girl and not capture her like Gerald?

they are cops lmao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

That loving Sned posted:

The terminally ill girl has no tactical value.

I think Sonic X characterized it as a mistake. But SA2 absolutely had a gunshot sound.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

The terminally ill girl has no tactical value.

I think Sonic X characterized it as a mistake. But SA2 absolutely had a gunshot sound.

She still got shot in Sonic X (in the Japanese version that is, in the dub they just “took her away”), but yeah the guy that did it said it was an accident and quit the military not long after because the guilt basically destroyed his life

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 11, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
A less goofy version of Shadow's game would have borrowed that plot point. Seems kinda important that for Shadow to forgive G.U.N. to the point of working for them, he should get to hear SOME kind of apology on Maria's behalf.

Also I love how 4kids would just make every single death be "uh they got took.....somewhere..." when they dubbed something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Frankston posted:

I sincerely hope the success of the Sonic movies and the increased exposure to the mainstream will result in Sega upping their game to deliver quality Sonic videogames but it's Sega so probably not

Sonic Team is wildly incompetent and building on a shoddy foundation. A good Sonic game would require a skillset and specialty there's little to no sign of Sega even having at this point. That so few Sonic games are even allowed to have a proper dev cycle without being rushed or hosed around with probably contributes, but it's just salt on the wound. Maybe Nintendo could do it.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Pants Donkey posted:

Shadow is deathly serious the whole movie while everyone else is a goofball, culminating in a reference to the funny comic book panel.

This is honestly my favorite way to characterize Shadow. Just this grim, deathly serious character stuck in a nonsense goof world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

This is honestly my favorite way to characterize Shadow. Just this grim, deathly serious character stuck in a nonsense goof world.

Isn’t that basically how he was in the Sonic Boom series?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Isn’t that basically how he was in the Sonic Boom series?

That was a large component of it, though they also made him a bit more of a jerk than I like in Sonic Boom?

If anything I think the Sonic Twitter Q&A videos are probably the closest to how I'd like to see Shadow characterized.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Shockingly, my favorite characterization of Shadow is in, of all loving things, Sonic 06. But that's probably mostly just because i haven't read the comics, watched Boom or listened to the Q&As. :v:

Frankston posted:

I sincerely hope the success of the Sonic movies and the increased exposure to the mainstream will result in Sega upping their game to deliver quality Sonic videogames but it's Sega so probably not

They're trying to establish a new foundation for the series with Frontiers. It'd be real nice if they don't screw it up but I trust Iizuka about as far as I can throw him.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wild that the next Sonic movie will be rated R

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

06 shadow's storyline is easily the best written thing in the game and is genuinely good aside from some awkward time traveling that plagues the whole game. i think pretty much everyone agrees on that at this point, not that weird of a take

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

06 shadow's storyline is easily the best written thing in the game and is genuinely good aside from some awkward time traveling that plagues the whole game. i think pretty much everyone agrees on that at this point, not that weird of a take

Which is why it's wild to me that Sega goes and says Team Dark isn't a thing and Shadow, Rouge and Omega aren't friends according to the mandates Ian has mentioned. They're so scared of Sonic 06 that they don't even want to acknowledge the actual good parts of 06.

This is also why the three haven't interacted since then and Shadow has gone back to being an rear end in a top hat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Which is why it's wild to me that Sega goes and says Team Dark isn't a thing and Shadow, Rouge and Omega aren't friends according to the mandates Ian has mentioned. They're so scared of Sonic 06 that they don't even want to acknowledge the actual good parts of 06.

This is also why the three haven't interacted since then and Shadow has gone back to being an rear end in a top hat.

They work together in the Episode Shadow DLC for Forces (though only in the sense that Rouge and Omega provide radio support for Shadow)

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!

Pants Donkey posted:

Wild that the next Sonic movie will be rated R

Well how else will you get Robotnik calling out Shadow as a "bitch rear end motherfucker" on his Twitter.com.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What are the rules for swearing to maintain a PG rating, because if Shadow doesn’t say gently caress at least once then what is the point

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, that is probably the single worst of the current Sonic takes Sega has come out with. The only way Shadow doesn't consider Rouge and Omega his friends is in the sense that he's a big grump who refuses to admit he has actual friendships because he wants everyone to think he's a cool, brooding loner...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont know if I'm prepared for:

1)Robotnik to have a wife

2)For it to be revealed that Shadow hosed said wife

3)For Robotnik, in a rare moment of sincerity, to admit to Tails how much he misses his wife

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__GJuqLb00

This is the right version of Shadow.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Adapting SA2 into a movie actually seems really straightforward, just replace Amy with the cop in all scenes and you're good.

You literally only need to introduce Shadow and Rouge at that point

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i want more cute scenes of maria and shadow

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, that is probably the single worst of the current Sonic takes Sega has come out with. The only way Shadow doesn't consider Rouge and Omega his friends is in the sense that he's a big grump who refuses to admit he has actual friendships because he wants everyone to think he's a cool, brooding loner...

Weren't they a team in Team Sonic Racing as well?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Weren't they a team in Team Sonic Racing as well?

Sega is stupidly inconsistent is why. Sonic as a brand seems constrained by business suits who are out of touch and have no idea why Sonic is popular if you go by what insiders are saying.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2022/04/sega-does-not-consider-team-dark-to-be-teammates-or-friends-according-to-flynn/

It's apparently a minor miracle that the two worlds concept got walked back very recently. After Unleashed, Sega apparently didn't want any humans in the games that weren't Eggman so they created two worlds so humans exist on a different world than Sonic's friends do. Even though that didn't make any drat sense with the events of Sonic Adventure 1 or 2.

It's probably also why the Sonic movies have the two worlds concept as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which is weird because according to the Japanese manuals the games have always taken place on Earth since the Genesis days

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Larryb posted:

Which is weird because according to the Japanese manuals the games have always taken place on Earth since the Genesis days

To put it simply, the Japanese and American branches of Sega still don't get along. It's not quite as disastrous as the corporate infighting between them in the 90s that ended up sinking the Saturn but both branches have completely different ideas about what Sonic should be. That's why you get conflicting and inconsistent information all of the time and it's why even as recently as Sonic Forces, the English and Japanese scripts diverged a bit with the English script being more grimdark, mentioning things like Sonic being tortured for months but this not being reflected in the game at all. You can even see this infighting outside of Sonic. The western branch of Sega said earlier this year that they'll never get into NFTs while the Japanese branch a few days ago mentioned they have plans for NFTs in their mystery super project.

https://kotaku.com/nfts-sega-crypto-blockchain-sonic-interview-future-scam-1848775352

You are correct that it is odd that Japan was originally all for the games taking place in one world, on Earth at that compared to the American canon yet sometime around when Sonic X was airing they started to change their minds and go all in on two worlds just as the American branch was coming around to the idea of the games taking place on one world, on Earth.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
As a complete outsider whose only familiarity with Sonic is playing some games on a friend's Genesis way back when - none of this makes any goddamn sense!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder what the Japanese view of the American 90s Sonic cartoons is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder what the Japanese view of the American 90s Sonic cartoons is.

Come to think of it, did any of the American cartoons ever get dubbed and aired in Japan out of curiosity (I know Sonic Boom did at least)?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mozi posted:

As a complete outsider whose only familiarity with Sonic is playing some games on a friend's Genesis way back when - none of this makes any goddamn sense!

Sonic has had a uh, let’s say interesting history trying to navigate video games after the Genesis.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gonna be real, I legit think the only Sonic stuff I’d recommend to the average person from the last couple of decades is Sonic Mania and to a lesser extent Generations. The rest ranges from decent to bad, but I’m struggling to think of any must play titles that have held up particularly well. Like as a Sonic fan I can get enjoyment out of stuff like the Adventure titles and Colors and whatnot, but I wouldn’t hold them up as exemplary titles that someone who hasn’t touched Sonic since the 90s ought to check out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

man nurse posted:

Gonna be real, I legit think the only Sonic stuff I’d recommend to the average person from the last couple of decades is Sonic Mania and to a lesser extent Generations. The rest ranges from decent to bad, but I’m struggling to think of any must play titles that have held up particularly well. Like as a Sonic fan I can get enjoyment out of stuff like the Adventure titles and Colors and whatnot, but I wouldn’t hold them up as exemplary titles that someone who hasn’t touched Sonic since the 90s ought to check out.

Shadow is worth playing just for laughing at how tryhard edgy it is.

Eh I dunno. I look back at the memes from the early 2010s, stuff like the Sonic cycle and in retrospect while Sonic games weren't outstanding I'd struggle to say any were actually horrid to play either outside of 06 and knowing the development circumstances of 06 makes me much more sympathetic to the developers nowadays than I would have been back then. The overall reaction at the time seems overblown. I think I'd rather revisit the Adventure games, Heroes and Unleashed despite their numerous flaws before I'd revisit Lost World or Forces at any rate which, while not horrid also don't have that much going for them either. Just extremely bland.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

It's honestly kind of weird because, while the past decade or so of games have been mostly mediocre, we've been getting some way more solidly done tie-in products. Between the movies, the Sonic Boom tv series and the new IDW comics it's starting to feel like Sonic has been doing really well in everything but video games...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think it's worth watching playthroughs of all those games. Plus every Sonic game has banger music, even the bad ones

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

It's honestly kind of weird because, while the past decade or so of games have been mostly mediocre, we've been getting some way more solidly done tie-in products. Between the movies, the Sonic Boom tv series and the new IDW comics it's starting to feel like Sonic has been doing really well in everything but video games...

Hell, Sonic Mania was fantastic

Sonic Team is just incompetent

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

KingKalamari posted:

Ya wanna know why Sonic stays super popular despite his games being garbage? Are you ready? Here it is:

That's it. That's all it is. Sonic's character design is amazing. He's got a very good sleek, but simple design. He's got a simple color pallet that works well together. He ends up being a lot of fun to watch in motion, and kids/everyone like drawing him. It doesn't matter if his games are bad, Sonic's got such a good clean character design it literally carries him to popularity. All of his friends aren't quite the same level of character design Sonic is, but most of them end up being incredibly popular in a similar way. Tails and Knuckles are probably the closest because of how simple they are but like... people fuckin' love Shadow.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I think it's worth watching playthroughs of all those games. Plus every Sonic game has banger music, even the bad ones

*Except Chronicles

https://youtu.be/6o47N-aYd08

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hell, Sonic Mania was fantastic

Sonic Team is just incompetent

I cannot get over Sonic Team's fear of doing the same thing twice.

Or at least, the recent history of games feels like it's carried by each new game needing to do something "new" - not unlike nintendo's philosophy with it's big IPs like Mario and Zelda. I believe some higher up at Sonic Team was asked following Generation's good reception if there would be a Generations 2, and it was a "no, we want to do something fresh" and lol we got Lost World.

But I kind of feel like maybe they should wait till they put out a game where people go "ok yeah, it's getting a little tired" before they start to worry about being too repetitive.

And boy I sure hope the fear of repetition is the reason we aren't seeing Mania 2 and not some wounded pride.

But maybe Frontiers will make me eat crow. I sure hope it does.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am sort of curious how an open world Sonic game is going to work at the very least (or if Sonic will remain the only playable character)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

I am sort of curious how an open world Sonic game is going to work at the very least (or if Sonic will remain the only playable character)

I feel like an open world Sonic game would have to be absolutely MASSIVE, like the largest open world game you've ever seen, if you want to incorporate Sonic's speed properly. Either that or slow him down significantly. I'm not sure how you can design an open world that doesn't feel empty but also is large enough to accommodate Sonic's speed. I'd be happy to be surprised but right now I'm pretty skeptical.

Oxyclean posted:

I cannot get over Sonic Team's fear of doing the same thing twice.

Stephanie Sterling brought this up in a Jimquisition many years ago. Sonic Lost World I think could've had potential if they were willing to do it a second time and really iron out any issues the game had. Instead they just abandoned it to try something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The general design of Sonic characters is inspired, you have a basic template with a ton of possibilities and big, expressive faces. People rolled their eyes at the ballooning cast back in the day, mostly due to Heroes I feel, but the new generation seem really in favour of the wider cast, so I'm really hoping that we see more of them; the large cast in Forces/TSR and Sega's willingness to put characters like Tangle and Whisper in the mobile games is promising at least.