Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

The worst part of Tuvix was Neelix

"I'm sorry to do this to you Tuvix, but I really need Tuvok back."

"And Neelix, right?"

"..."

"...Righ--[TRANSPORTER SCREECH]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*transporter chief "accidentally" elbows the console* oops, captain, Tuvok is fine but looks like I lost Neelix's pattern.
*bridge crew bites back smiles*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In which Neelix’s skeleton is beamed out of his body to a nearby moon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Neelix is kept in sickbay for a week with a holographic skeleton while they try to collect all his bones.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Neelix is kept in sickbay for a week with a holographic skeleton while they try to collect all his bones.

Janeway sends Harry out to do it. Alone. With a grabby stick and a shopping bag. If he complains, HIS skeleton gets beamed out too, and he has to go collect it himself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The doctor: You've been deskeletonized, no bones about it

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

neelix's problem is he has one too many lungs

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm sorry, you don't find this tibia humerus situation? Apparently I failed to locate your funny bone. Ulna it when I see it. And that's no fibula!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The cast does an "end of episode" chuckle, cut to the ship cruising away and roll credits 8 minutes into the episode.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

How'd that one age?

Way better than you'd think possible, really.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The cast does an "end of episode" chuckle, cut to the ship cruising away and roll credits 8 minutes into the episode.

Just do a slice of life about to be interrupted by disaster style thing, except no disaster happens

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

Way better than you'd think possible, really.

I'm shocked I seem to remember approximately 50% of the jokes in sitcoms in that era were gay panic jokes

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Frasier did tons of gay panic jokes, yet shockingly they didn't really age poorly at all. It always feels like it's all in good fun and not meant to hurt anybody. Just one more version of the comedic misunderstandings that the show always trafficked in.

(I realize many of the cast and crew were in fact gay, but that was probably also true of many lesser shows of the era, so I don't count that for much.)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

I'm shocked I seem to remember approximately 50% of the jokes in sitcoms in that era were gay panic jokes

Most of the jokes are about Frasier being too greedy for the social standing that he's completely oblivious to the situation he has created.

The only real panic moment was when Frasier, quite literally, feels an erect penis pressed against him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Frasier panics over possibly appearing that he's panicking over gayness

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Nullsmack posted:

Tuvix: I kinda wish they had played it more like everyone is just going to accept that Tuvok and Neelix are gone and Tuvix is here now. Come to terms with it and accept him for who he is... and then the next time he goes through the transporter Tuvok and Neelix pop out somehow instead of Tuvix. Maybe even have a little funeral for him. And it's weird because both Tuvok and Neelix remember being him.

There’s some weird time passage at the end of Voyager Season 2, with both Tuvix and Resolutions taking place over several weeks/months, with no feeling of time passing.

It’s a shame Voyager refused to have proper story arcs, as you could have episodes with Tuvix as part of the crew, or episodes with Captain Tuvok (or even combine them when Tuvix has to be placed in charge of the ship, and have Janeway’s research on the planet lead to a way to split Tuvix).

They set so much up, and never follow through…

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
One of Voyager's biggest sins is that Tuvok still wears yellow when he's the captain in Resolutions. If you have an excuse to put one of your characters in the "wrong" uniform, you should take it!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Lester Shy posted:

One of Voyager's biggest sins is that Tuvok still wears yellow when he's the captain in Resolutions. If you have an excuse to put one of your characters in the "wrong" uniform, you should take it!

Counterpoint gold should've always remained the command color. :colbert:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
How much CGI Enterprise-D was in the blu ray/streaming remasters? I'm about to sound like a total idiot but I didn't realize they replaced the Big D with CGI *at all* until a conversation with a friend just now. Did they put a CG version into the credits?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Eimi posted:

Counterpoint olive should've always remained the command color. :colbert:

FTFY

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
TNG era Mustard would never look right as Command though. You gotta go back to bright red and yellow-gold if you’re gonna switch the division colors.

Also light blue for science, none of this green/teal nonsense.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Admiral Bosch posted:

How much CGI Enterprise-D was in the blu ray/streaming remasters? I'm about to sound like a total idiot but I didn't realize they replaced the Big D with CGI *at all* until a conversation with a friend just now. Did they put a CG version into the credits?

IIRC, it was only a handful of shots across the entire series for which they couldn’t find the original film passes.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Who I gotta talk to for a deep purple uniform with gold trim? Representing the 3rd Street Saints over here

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Delsaber posted:

Who I gotta talk to for a deep purple uniform with gold trim? Representing the 3rd Street Saints over here

Get Samuel L Jackson in a Trek, and it will happen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delsaber posted:

I liked that Enterprise used purple and silver to differentiate the admiralty from the general service branch of Starfleet. There was something adorably out of touch about the UESPA's business suit jackets that were designed to mimic the look of the Starfleet onsies as some faux show of solidarity with the rank and file.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Zaroff posted:

There’s some weird time passage at the end of Voyager Season 2, with both Tuvix and Resolutions taking place over several weeks/months, with no feeling of time passing.

It’s a shame Voyager refused to have proper story arcs, as you could have episodes with Tuvix as part of the crew, or episodes with Captain Tuvok (or even combine them when Tuvix has to be placed in charge of the ship, and have Janeway’s research on the planet lead to a way to split Tuvix).

They set so much up, and never follow through…

I wish it was more like Farscape. The main character got duplicated once and it was a whole thing for a big chunk of episodes that season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Farscape definitely nailed the balance between episodic and ongoing arc.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

honestly the other big episode involving a gay man that I remember is when Frasier's mother's old lab partner shows up, and the episode implies that he might be Frasier and Niles' real father until it's revealed at the very end that he's gay

like the jokes in the PStew one, most of the jokes are only making fun of gay men if you assume that Frasier himself is a pastiche of a gay man. Almost all the jokes are focused on how he has the same mannerisms and likes/dislikes as Frasier, and the fact that he's gay is used mostly in service of moving along/resolving the plot.

As someone above mentioned it might be because multiple main cast members are/were gay, but as far as I can remember the show very rarely took easy bait to make fun of gay people, aside from Gil (which could arguably be viewed as bucking stereotypes since everyone thinks he's gay because he exhibits stereotypes but is actually straight)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Delsaber posted:

Section 69 is down the hall on the left

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HD DAD posted:

IIRC, it was only a handful of shots across the entire series for which they couldn’t find the original film passes.

Yeah, I would be surprised if there was more than 20 seconds of CG Enterprise-D through all seven seasons.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
So, not the credits flyby? My friend is utterly convinced that it's CG.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

One of them is this specific stock flyby shot

Original:

CG:

But no the credits shot is just the original shot but recomposited using modern techniques

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
S6 E2 Realm of Fear is the most realistic depiction of how I would react in the Star Trek universe. I would be a hot mess , just thinking every ache and cough was like Tarflerigan Spinal Flu or Klingon Aids.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Admiral Bosch posted:

So, not the credits flyby? My friend is utterly convinced that it's CG.

They did add window lighting when the ship goes to warp, if that counts at all.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

S6 E2 Realm of Fear is the most realistic depiction of how I would react in the Star Trek universe. I would be a hot mess , just thinking every ache and cough was like Tarflerigan Spinal Flu or Klingon Aids.

relax they have all kinds of cool little led lights they can wave over it to make it go away

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CPColin posted:

They did add window lighting when the ship goes to warp, if that counts at all.

Yeah overall there's not many CG shots of the Enterprise but there are quite a few CG tweaks all up to fix issues here than there.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

As someone above mentioned it might be because multiple main cast members are/were gay, but as far as I can remember the show very rarely took easy bait to make fun of gay people, aside from Gil (which could arguably be viewed as bucking stereotypes since everyone thinks he's gay because he exhibits stereotypes but is actually straight)

He's seen going into Bad Billy's at the end of the PStew episode, so some people take that as more than just a gag. I've always contended that Gil, and by extension Deb (his Sarah Lawrence educated auto body shop owner wife), were extremely heterosexual, because it is funnier that way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What exactly did O'Brien do to get busted down in rank from Full Lieutenant to Non Com Officer

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah overall there's not many CG shots of the Enterprise but there are quite a few CG tweaks all up to fix issues here than there.

Yeah, anything that was hand dawn animation before like phaser blasts, force field effects, are all CG now. Same goes for planets and parts of matte paintings.

But yeah, the 6ft model was feature film quality. Rescanning the motion passes and recompositing it's really all they needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hollismason posted:

What exactly did O'Brien do to get busted down in rank from Full Lieutenant to Non Com Officer

He existed