Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Also, helping Bruce out reluctantly while vocally disapproving and Bruce being resentful of his common sense because he wants to do what he wants to do seems extremely in-line with a surrogate father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

live with fruit posted:

Yes, Bruce is a childish baby in this movie.

He's always a childish baby though. I like that this movie was at least honest about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

massive spider posted:

Alfred is Bruces employee, even though he raised Bruce there’s still a power dynamic there.

Naaaah, the Bruce we get in this movie wouldn’t even know how to fire Alfred and he’d be dead in a week because he forgot to grease the joints of his armor every single day the way Alfred does.

Here’s some media literacy for the thread: If a character ever yells “UR NOT MY REAL DAD!” like a whiny teenager at another character, that’s the movie’s way of telling you “THIS IS BASICALLY THEIR REAL DAD”. Bale, Keaton, Clooney, all of them could fire their Alfred’s… Battinson NEEDS his.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Not much literacy is required since there is a scene in the movie where he literally lays out their emotional relationship- Alfred raised him but laments he wasn't particularly good at it beyond teaching him fighting stuff. Pretty much everything about their dynamic flows logically from that. Including the progression in the movie where a threat on Alfreds life combined with the realisation that Bruce still idealises his dead biodad a little too much drives them to a kind of reconciliation.

The point is saying 'he's basically his dad so they SHOULD be close' doesn't really follow. Lots of people aren't even that close to their real dad, let alone the person who is basically their dad but also literally their butler. Theres no reason to assume a bunch of offscreen bonding must have occurred when all the text points to an absence of it.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 31, 2022

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Something i’ve never thought of,michael gough was 72 in batman 89 and 80 in batman and robin (holy poo poo)

And michael caine was 72 in batman begins and 79 in tdkr

Serkis is the same as jeremy irons (58) was in bvs

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Naaaah, the Bruce we get in this movie wouldn’t even know how to fire Alfred and he’d be dead in a week because he forgot to grease the joints of his armor every single day the way Alfred does.

Here’s some media literacy for the thread: If a character ever yells “UR NOT MY REAL DAD!” like a whiny teenager at another character, that’s the movie’s way of telling you “THIS IS BASICALLY THEIR REAL DAD”. Bale, Keaton, Clooney, all of them could fire their Alfred’s… Battinson NEEDS his.

Clooney goes well out of his way to save Alfred's life.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Something i’ve never thought of,michael gough was 72 in batman 89 and 80 in batman and robin (holy poo poo)

And michael caine was 72 in batman begins and 79 in tdkr

Serkis is the same as jeremy irons (58) was in bvs

Alfred has gone from being a stuffy butler to the cool grizzled ex combat medic uncle

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doesn't Alfred basically handle the entire rogues gallery in the TV show by himself?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I have a vague memory of a comic where Alfred is secretly the entire rogue's gallery in disguise as he's realised the clearly disturbed Bruce Wayne needs 'villains' to focus on or he'll become dangerous.

They should do that in live action.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Oh yeah, i heard about that. They're planning to release that as The Bat Man set in the Joker universe. The Bat featuring Manbat as the villain is coming out a month after that to start the DCVCU, and The Batman Returns in the The Batman universe is coming out the following year.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They may just finally have to admit defeat and say the next one is The Batman 2

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Maxwell Lord posted:

They may just finally have to admit defeat and say the next one is The Batman 2

Only if they use Two-Face as the villain.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The Batman, Too - another studio chasing the multiverse trend

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'll hold out for a Batman movie about Alfred's early career as a military valet. Can't think of a good name for it, though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Bats, Man

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Meaty Ore posted:

I'll hold out for a Batman movie about Alfred's early career as a military valet. Can't think of a good name for it, though.

Lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just got back and my immediate impression is that this is another Matt Reeves joint. Cool ideas, stellar cinematography, fearless storytelling, and way too long runtime due to a formless script that was too populated by too many of the director's ideas.

I felt the same sort of itchiness watching this as I did the latter Planet of the Movies. Like, for God's sake, kill some of your scenes and converge more plot lines and characters. Like be more ruthless about it.

Batman stopped and stalled because Reeves was so intent on following certain narrative threads. The movie ended with the Carmine confrontation. Then the movie ended again with the Riddled capture. Then the movie ended again with the flooding of Gotham.

A more disciplined storyteller would have tried converging all those plot points into the same time frame. And a more disciplined director would have cut out Batman going over the same plot points, like from learning about his parents from Carmine then Alfred.

But there is a lot to love in this movie and I think it's going to have a long shelf life down the road. It makes Batman and his world cool as hell.

Tho Gotham now is just straight up in NYC

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

McCloud posted:

You could probably shorten the film by 20 minutes just by trimming the fat in a lot of scenes. Like the bit with the bat cage, or the bikes at the end, or the reeeeallly slow walk towards penguins car with the peekaboo at the end

What's funny I'm talking about trimming the movie and I absolutely think that walk to the car was essential and so was the batcage stuff lol.

That kinda stuff is why this this the best Batman since the Dark Knight at least. Just some amazing and meaning infused scenes that don't contribute to the plot per se but give this movie an amazingly cool sheen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’s so funny how many people seem interested or concerned with trimming or making this movie shorter. I don’t get it, I really loved it, I was never really bored, I wanted to see more. Who cares if a movie is 3 hours long, when I go see a movie in a theater, that’s what I’m doing that day, I’m not trying to squeeze a quick 90 minutes of fun in between errands or whatever. Especially when almost every suggestion for an edit is “this long slow scene where we artfully build dramatic tension or help to craft an intricately realized world… get rid of it!”

no, dude, just sit down and watch the goddam Batman movie. You’re life isn’t that busy and you ain’t the important, just turn off yo drat phone and zone in to the flick!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I like this idea that you can trim twenty minutes by taking a couple of seconds out here and there and not by taking out full scenes. Easy peasy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
For anyone who hasn't caught it yet, WB has confirmed it'll be on HBO Max on the 18th.

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1513567050303746055

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’s so funny how many people seem interested or concerned with trimming or making this movie shorter. I don’t get it, I really loved it, I was never really bored, I wanted to see more. Who cares if a movie is 3 hours long, when I go see a movie in a theater, that’s what I’m doing that day, I’m not trying to squeeze a quick 90 minutes of fun in between errands or whatever. Especially when almost every suggestion for an edit is “this long slow scene where we artfully build dramatic tension or help to craft an intricately realized world… get rid of it!”

no, dude, just sit down and watch the goddam Batman movie. You’re life isn’t that busy and you ain’t the important, just turn off yo drat phone and zone in to the flick!

I think most people are saying this because they found large swathes of the movie extremely loving boring.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

live with fruit posted:

I like this idea that you can trim twenty minutes by taking a couple of seconds out here and there and not by taking out full scenes. Easy peasy.

Just watch it at 1.1x speed at home, bam there's 18 minutes lobbed off!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

live with fruit posted:

I would definitely like to cut down Snyder's JL by cutting specific shots and bits out of the action scenes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Snyder Cut could have EASILY been pared down to 3 hours or less. Shooting the ENTIRE Amazon/Steppenwolf fight in slow motion, for example, is the most obvious and egregious waste of time. Slow motion is supposed to enhance the frenetic action of a scene surrounding it, it completely loses all impact when it’s one extended 15 minute sequence happening at 1/3 speed. Likewise Ezra Miller being super creepy to that poor woman in the car accident. How did anyone sign off on that, you don’t have a single loving woman in the writing or production staff to go “uh he’s supposed to be a good guy, don’t make him a creep”

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

The Snyder Cut could have EASILY been pared down to 3 hours or less. Shooting the ENTIRE Amazon/Steppenwolf fight in slow motion, for example, is the most obvious and egregious waste of time. Slow motion is supposed to enhance the frenetic action of a scene surrounding it, it completely loses all impact when it’s one extended 15 minute sequence happening at 1/3 speed. Likewise Ezra Miller being super creepy to that poor woman in the car accident. How did anyone sign off on that, you don’t have a single loving woman in the writing or production staff to go “uh he’s supposed to be a good guy, don’t make him a creep”

The song.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The song from that scene and please use the badass cello part of Wonder Woman's theme in place of at least a couple ANCIENT LAMENTATIONs.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Halloween Jack posted:

I would definitely like to cut down Snyder's JL by cutting specific shots and bits out of the action scenes.

As long as the women singing to aquaman stays in, I'm good with this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm adamant that stuff like that should not be cut from the movie. Every part of the movie where it starts to resemble a Hobbit sequel should be cut.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I don't think the point is trimming particular scenes, but a larger scale re-edit and narrowing down of plotlines and repetitive events. In my theater, there was a palpable level of fidgeting past the 2 hour mark where someone else was yet again telling Batman about his past.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I’d cut the part out where Alfred was all, nah Falcone made that stuff up and your dad was cool. It wouldn’t make the movie much shorter but that scene took away any feeling that the movie was doing something interesting with the mystery.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I still give props to the movie allowing Thomas Wayne to still be negligently responsible for that reporter's death.

It's the anti-Iron Man 2.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I’d cut the part out where Alfred was all, nah Falcone made that stuff up and your dad was cool. It wouldn’t make the movie much shorter but that scene took away any feeling that the movie was doing something interesting with the mystery.
I don't necessarily disagree, but that scene was - for me - more about Alfred and Bruce strengthening a bond that either wasn't much there or had been fractured. I wouldn't have removed it.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Just got back and my immediate impression is that this is another Matt Reeves joint. Cool ideas, stellar cinematography, fearless storytelling, and way too long runtime due to a formless script that was too populated by too many of the director's ideas.

I felt the same sort of itchiness watching this as I did the latter Planet of the Movies. Like, for God's sake, kill some of your scenes and converge more plot lines and characters. Like be more ruthless about it.

Batman stopped and stalled because Reeves was so intent on following certain narrative threads. The movie ended with the Carmine confrontation. Then the movie ended again with the Riddled capture. Then the movie ended again with the flooding of Gotham.

A more disciplined storyteller would have tried converging all those plot points into the same time frame. And a more disciplined director would have cut out Batman going over the same plot points, like from learning about his parents from Carmine then Alfred.

But there is a lot to love in this movie and I think it's going to have a long shelf life down the road. It makes Batman and his world cool as hell.

Tho Gotham now is just straight up in NYC

Just got back and mostly agree with all of this. Structure and pacing suffered a bit because of the faux endings, they could've/should've been tightened up. Combine stuff, remove scenes, whatever. But there are all those lovingly crafted lingering shots and segments that just ooze atmosphere, world building and character.

Soundtrack was cool, footsteps were cool, batmobile was cool, casting was great, production design and cinematography was absolutely stellar. A passionate labor of love.

I'm not sure if I'd want to see a sequel, but I liked this take on the character, and I also liked that the film didn't undercut its emotional points.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Shageletic posted:

I still give props to the movie allowing Thomas Wayne to still be negligently responsible for that reporter's death.

It's the anti-Iron Man 2.

Yeah, even if Alfred's version is 100% accurate, Thomas Wayne asked a violent mob boss to get a reporter writing a true, if scummy, story to shut up.

He really can't claim to be shocked when that ends with the reporter dead, what did he think would happen?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

garycoleisgod posted:

Yeah, even if Alfred's version is 100% accurate, Thomas Wayne asked a violent mob boss to get a reporter writing a true, if scummy, story to shut up.

He really can't claim to be shocked when that ends with the reporter dead, what did he think would happen?

He's a doctor, not an oracle!

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The best part of the movie was the martial noise artist look of Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys as the main villain, and somehow the Joker cameo's blurry profiles reminded me of Ray from Trailer Park Boys.

Looking forward to The Batman 2: Joker's Piss Jugs.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This reminded me of bladerunner 2049

visually fantastic to look at, but a long mediocre slog that i have no desire to sit through ever again

i also didn't like NWH so everyone that hyped up these two movies are now dead to me, and vice versa i'm sure

sidenote, it's inevitable that someone will do a live-action TDKR eventually, right? *long, deep sigh into the void*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They put the first 10 minutes on YouTube and Batman-as-monster is great. Reeves isn't the first one to go that route but he's done it the best. Giacchino probably deserves a lot of credit.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 19, 2022