Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ive been on a dozen or so pointless search committees and it makes my concience hurt to call people in for first and second interviews when a candidate was unofficially chosen before the position was even posted

Sometimes people would have to take days off of work for us to fly them in and put them up in a hotel, but they never had a chance in the first place

I would assume that's basically every non-service job at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Peanut President posted:

wasn't there some study done that people who played lacrosse where like 10x more likely to be hired due to a fault in the "ai" program?

It was a test hiring algorithm that a company was considering using, so they hired a third-party to do analysis on it.

The algorithm was supposed to pick out "superstars" among the candidate pool. The analysis determined that the two things most likely to get a person designated a "superstar" were 1) being named Jared and 2) having played lacrosse in high school.

I don't think it was ever actually implemented.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

wasn't there some study done that people who played lacrosse where like 10x more likely to be hired due to a fault in the "ai" program?

Yes, a "fault".

You can train ai to be an old boys club member as well as being just a general racist.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Manager Hoyden posted:

Ive been on a dozen or so pointless search committees and it makes my concience hurt to call people in for first and second interviews when a candidate was unofficially chosen before the position was even posted

Sometimes people would have to take days off of work for us to fly them in and put them up in a hotel, but they never had a chance in the first place

I would assume that's basically every non-service job at this point

I'd enjoy the ability to have a nice hotel and free vacation but I'm not the kind of person that has the kind of job where they put you up for an interview.

my worst interview memory was a "group interview" with me and like 20 other people all trying to get a prestigious job making burritos at chipotle

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

I'd enjoy the ability to have a nice hotel and free vacation but I'm not the kind of person that has the kind of job where they put you up for an interview.

my worst interview memory was a "group interview" with me and like 20 other people all trying to get a prestigious job making burritos at chipotle

lol they did this at UPS too. the interview process was basically getting a couple dozen applicants in a conference room, and then telling everyone "this job sucks, ok? you do not want to work here. the work is going to destroy your body, working weird hours will destroy your mind, and working in a giant concrete building with no windows will destroy your spirit. so - any takers?"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ham Equity posted:

It was a test hiring algorithm that a company was considering using, so they hired a third-party to do analysis on it.

The algorithm was supposed to pick out "superstars" among the candidate pool. The analysis determined that the two things most likely to get a person designated a "superstar" were 1) being named Jared and 2) having played lacrosse in high school.

I don't think it was ever actually implemented.

The company was amazon specifically

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lol they did this at UPS too. the interview process was basically getting a couple dozen applicants in a conference room, and then telling everyone "this job sucks, ok? you do not want to work here. the work is going to destroy your body, working weird hours will destroy your mind, and working in a giant concrete building with no windows will destroy your spirit. so - any takers?"

Postal service does the same thing, plus it was for a temp gig with no guarantee of future employment!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

group interviews loving blow. there's always at least a few people trying to upstage everyone else and they always come off as unhinged.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

My worst interview ever was at a staffing company who told me that they had 50 people quit in my position in the past year. I asked them why that happened and they said "because they sucked"

I didn't want or get a callback from that one

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
my first job interview at 16 was at a chain supermarket. i mean, i thought it was an interview, but it was actually signing the paperwork for the job. after i got the job, the store manager, an asian man, asked me if i, a nerdy white teenager, was chinese. i told him no

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
if you don't ask you can't be sure

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Biplane posted:

If you unfurl an admiralty flag as you enter the interview room you're legally entitled to any job in the company.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ham Equity posted:

I did interviews several months ago, and as part of the anonymization process, they took the resumes and converted them to basic text.

If someone had done that, those text boxes would have been a large bank of random words that just appeared as if it were in the regular body of the resume.
Word Documents are XML files, surely there's a place I can stash the keywords that will sneak by the processor but not make it to the plaintext.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
You guys send application materials in an editable format?

I wouldn't dream of sending a finalized document without first pdf'ing it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Word Documents are XML files, surely there's a place I can stash the keywords that will sneak by the processor but not make it to the plaintext.

White text at the bottom of the page.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Peanut President posted:

brb adding some more white text to my resume next to "harvard" "yale" "facebook" and "google"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Plank Walker posted:

my first job interview at 16 was at a chain supermarket. i mean, i thought it was an interview, but it was actually signing the paperwork for the job. after i got the job, the store manager, an asian man, asked me if i, a nerdy white teenager, was chinese. i told him no

At 17 I interviewed for a job at a local chocolate shop. The posting had been for a cashier position. After what seemed to be a positive interview, the manager told me I was hired. I was so happy! Then he told me the job was not a cashier position, it was standing beside the busy four lane road outside the chocolate shop wearing a full chef's outfit and holding an advertising sign.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

at my first job, I witnessed a child trip and come dangerously close to gauging his eye out on a protruding metal object in a specifically child-oriented area (child was fine). thinking I was being an upstanding employee, I took a picture of the object and emailed my boss with a description of the incident and a friendly recommendation on how to cheaply resolve the potential hazard.

he came storming up to me at my next shift and threatened to fire me unless I let him watch me login to my email and delete the message from my outbox. the next time I was in the child area I saw a small piece of foam duct-taped to the tip of the dangerous metal object (not what I recommended)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

jeebus bob posted:

You guys send application materials in an editable format?

I wouldn't dream of sending a finalized document without first pdf'ing it.

I haven’t applied for a job in a decade but I remember that they all specified what formats they accepted and explicitly disallowed PDFs

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
putting "enormous lady dong" in off-white 2pt font just to gently caress with HR

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

putting "enormous lady dong" in off-white 2pt font just to gently caress with HR

This is what that goon who advertises resume services does. Boosts callback rates 75%

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

I haven’t applied for a job in a decade but I remember that they all specified what formats they accepted and explicitly disallowed PDFs
I was applying in late 2020, and did see that a handful of times, but it was nowhere near universal (or even majority). PDF is definitely the best resume format, both because it's difficult to edit, and because it looks the same regardless of what version of Office the person who is looking at it has.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah, PDF is the safer choice since you don’t have to worry about what it’ll look like on the reviewer’s computer or tablet or phone

the dumb thing about resume chat is that it only matters for entry level jobs. if you’re trying to apply for jobs mid career through blind drops, you’re kind of hosed to begin with

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if someone is going to put in the effort to learn how to open pdfs it doesn't sound like they're cut out to be a boss

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

you don't need to include "dong", hell, you can skip all 3 words and just legally rename yourself to "lady dimitrescu" and get a 100% hire rate

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I send my resume in jpeg format

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

e: Never mind everyone got to yelling about PDF's before me

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Danaru posted:

I send my resume in jpeg format

i had to redo mine after most computers stopped playing .swf files

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My last job involved deep knowledge of ms office inner working bullshit and I came away from it realizing just what a hell gently caress file format and set of programs the whole thing is. Lotta people don't realize that Office files aren't meant to be some sort of system-agnostic format and the weirdest poo poo can totally mess up a file. Like Office will reformat how a file is displayed based on your default printer settings in some cases so if you just open a file on another computer (with the same version of office and everything) it can get all weird for apparently no reason. And then we get yelled at by a bank that their slide deck is Wrong and this is in Violation of Compliance Laws and etc.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/rmpbs/status/1513595807760584708?cxt=HHwWiMC48cTXr4EqAAAA

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

But the alternative was to risk having to see a black person during their morning commute, how could they NOT form an HOA?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

Probably just uncontrolled variable correlation with them being white and rich.

e: related, when I was a junior in college I got a call to interview with a company I don't recall even submitting a resume with. Two other guys in my class also got the call and one had a car so he drove. This dude was the biggest try-hard in class and wore a nice suit to the interview whereas I wore a polo and cargo pants.

On the car ride home I got a call like 15 minutes into the hour-and-a-half drive and he did not. It was very awkward.

Salvor_Hardin has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Apr 11, 2022

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Probably just uncontrolled variable correlation with them being white and rich.

likely that.

I ran analytics for an insurance company for awhile. richer people pay less because they tend to have better access to healthcare, for example. poo poo’s baked in.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I had an interview once that was going fairly well until she asked me if I was okay working on commission without a regular check. I told her "sorry, my labor isn't free, I need compensation." She immediately stood up and said "Ohh, I'm sorry we're looking for hard workers who want to earn what they get" before walking down the hall saying "nope nope nope nope nope nope nope" to no one in particular, leaving me alone in the interview room.

About 6 weeks later I drove past and the place had a giant FOR LEASE sign out front because the company had folded.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I had an interview once that was going fairly well until she asked me if I was okay working on commission without a regular check. I told her "sorry, my labor isn't free, I need compensation." She immediately stood up and said "Ohh, I'm sorry we're looking for hard workers who want to earn what they get" before walking down the hall saying "nope nope nope nope nope nope nope" to no one in particular, leaving me alone in the interview room.

About 6 weeks later I drove past and the place had a giant FOR LEASE sign out front because the company had folded.

Looks like they weren't hard workers who wanted to earn what they get

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

sounds like they earned exactly what they got, to me

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Danaru posted:

But the alternative was to risk having to see a black person during their morning commute, how could they NOT form an HOA?

Honkeys Of America is legit you guys

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Shame Boy posted:

I like to think that she's gotta live the rest of her life like a schnook.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
One time I went to interview for a porter position at an apt complex and someone driving by screamed FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO WORK before I walked in, and during the interview they said uh actually this is less of a porter, more of a maintenance tech job, uh but at porter pay, and we'll need you to be 24hr on call for emergencies. The last guy was sleeping in his car in the parking garage because the security system was broken and he was guarding the place. Very new, modern looking building that was completely falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

One time I went to interview for a porter position at an apt complex and someone driving by screamed FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO WORK before I walked in, and during the interview they said uh actually this is less of a porter, more of a maintenance tech job, uh but at porter pay, and we'll need you to be 24hr on call for emergencies. The last guy was sleeping in his car in the parking garage because the security system was broken and he was guarding the place. Very new, modern looking building that was completely falling apart.

How did you like the job?