Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Baki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Yep, Baki.

Thanks.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Is there an anime about weed?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's one about a dog named weed

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Disco Godfather posted:

Well, it's not an anime, but "Fourteen" has the most accurate portrayal of marijuana ever put to page in manga. Then again, that's hardly a surprise considering its unflinching attention to detail and admirable commitment to realism.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Disco Godfather posted:

Episode 2 of Sarazanmai involves a cat stealing a kid's stash of weed.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't Samurai Champloo have an episode where they burn down a cannabis field?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's implied to be cannabis but I don't know what the gently caress Mugen was on when he huffed everything and went crazy.

There was also the space station full of stoners on one episode of Cowboy Bebop.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Japan has like no weed so their portrayal of it is pretty uh sensational?

There’s a stoner guy in black lagoon that acts like he’s on lsd. In fact, I feel like most portrayals of weed in anime are more akin to acid.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Its fairly easy to get weed in japan

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Really? I’d heard it was like heroin is treated in the us.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
"Get" and "Public opinion of using" are different things.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

yea right nobody ever chooses to ignore taboos to obtain contraband, and it is in fact physically impossible to commit crimes.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Well that makes the goofy reefer madness portrayals even weirder

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I realized I’m only following one 4koma (Monthly Girls’ Nozaki) right now. All the other ones I liked ended. What are some good 4-panel comedy manga running at the moment?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nrook posted:

I realized I’m only following one 4koma (Monthly Girls’ Nozaki) right now. All the other ones I liked ended. What are some good 4-panel comedy manga running at the moment?

The Kaguya spin-off "We Want to Talk About Kaguya" might be of interest, if you like the main series.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Been watchin this, its good

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Just finished up watching the 2 seasons of xxxholic. If I wanted to read the manga, do I need to be familiar with the other clamp stuff? I think I saw that some of the plot was shared with Tsubasa?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just finished up watching the 2 seasons of xxxholic. If I wanted to read the manga, do I need to be familiar with the other clamp stuff? I think I saw that some of the plot was shared with Tsubasa?

Later xxxholic gets totally entagled with Tsubasa, the only way much of it makes any kind of sense is to read both of them in parallel. Knowing more of the other Clamp stuff helps to recognize the callbacks, but isn't mandatory.

That said, the crossover stuff takes up so much of the story that you may be happier just sticking with the anime which does a really god job with stripping all of it out (turning it into much more of a mood piece than the interdimensional chaos it eventually becomes). Not saying that it is bad, but if you just want more of what the anime gave you you may end up confused and disappointed.

fezball fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 8, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Thanks! I ended up reading it anyway, and then looked at a Tsubasa wiki to fill in some gaps lol. Most of the crossover stuff is background info on the xxxholic characters and while its important, it wasn't too bad just reading xxxholic alone. I liked the ending of the initial manga, and I assume that Kei is never going to be finished.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
What’s the Gundam series with the highest concentration of cool robot battles? Want to watch one with a friend.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 9, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Quotey posted:

What’s the Gundam series with the highest volume of cool robot battles? Want to watch one with a friend.

If you're looking for stylish fights per minute, you're probably best off with Thunderbolt: December Sky. About an hour long, and most of it is combat of one kind or another. Not really even fights until near the end, if you care about that part, but it's gorgeous and has a lot of smooth jazz to underscore the brutal violence. Not my favorite, but it might hit the spot.

On the opposite end of things, there's the first Build Fighters. Kids playing with toys instead of real robofights, but there's a lot of stylish throwdowns.

Iron Blooded Orphans has some of my favorite fights, but it's a poor fit for high volume of combat. You tend to only get a fight every other episode on the high end. It adds more emotional weight, and there's very little stock footage, but it means going through episodes about farming and mob politics first. (Although there are a couple episodes that are almost pure combat.)

Oh, maybe 0083: Stardust Memory? I haven't seen it in full, so I can't testify to much beyond "the plot is dumb" and "the fights are gorgeous", but the fights are gorgeous.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the true answer is unicorn but it's super mired in lore baggage.

iron blooded orphans probably has the best cool fight scenes of any of the ones you can just jump into, but it also has them less frequently than other shows

build fighters is pretty good for cool fight scenes but the rest of it is much more of a children's show. if you care about literally nothing but the fights this is probably the one to go for

i haven't personally seen reconguista in g but i hear it has very good fight scenes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

i haven't personally seen reconguista in g but i hear it has very good fight scenes

I wouldn't say it's good for a "casual" watch if you're just looking for fights, because it's very dense in its plot and generally expects you to pay attention to what's going on. It's still a really good show, just not something you can put on and glance at occasionally, if that makes sense?

The only real downside to Build Fighters is you'll want to make sure you can source at least one or two of the kits because watching Build Fighters will inevitably lead to building Gunpla.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, maybe 0083: Stardust Memory? I haven't seen it in full, so I can't testify to much beyond "the plot is dumb" and "the fights are gorgeous", but the fights are gorgeous.

There are certainly some pretty mecha fight scenes . . . but I think the characters and plot might be my least favorite of any Gundam thing ever. As in, the viewer would be better suited by watching a 20 minute action supercut than wasting their time with the rest. Just my personal take obviously.

0080 is my favorite in terms of writing but it's very sparse on action for a OVA.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

People who haven’t seen gundam don’t really care about how dumb stardust memory is. It’s got cool pew pew.

But I do think thunderbolt is a good quick “check this crazy poo poo out” rec.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
IBO may have less combat then some other gundam shows but the combat in it is so much more brutal.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Need a manga recommendation.

Some type of drama / romance / surrealism / weirdness, similar to Aku no Hana, Loneliness, Goodnight Punpun,

To a lesser extent, the emotional range of Scum's Wish.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Some type of drama / romance / surrealism / weirdness, similar to Aku no Hana, Loneliness, Goodnight Punpun,

You read any Tatsuki Fujimoto?

His newest one-shot, "Goodbye Eri" might be up your street.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

People who haven’t seen gundam don’t really care about how dumb stardust memory is. It’s got cool pew pew.

But I do think thunderbolt is a good quick “check this crazy poo poo out” rec.

Name a character who has simped harder than Kou Uraki

And why is everyone passing up G Gundam, the coolest gundam fights of all.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't say g gundam's fights are impressive in terms of choreography or animation quality for the most part

Seeing absurd national stereotypes smash into each other is fairly fun but I don't think it's quite what the ask is looking for

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not the imagawa i'd rec if you want the biggest spectacle out of his works. at that point i'd just say watch giant robo or shin mazinger

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-04-07/46th-annual-kodansha-manga-awards-nominees-announced/.184436

Tensei Slime

Frieren at the Funeral

Shangri-la Frontier

Couple of Cuckoo

Are the nominees for Best Shonen.

Best general has

Oshi no Ko

Skip to Loafer

And the HS Yakuza Lady dating the HS Yakuza guy.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Among that awards list, I don't really see Kodansha refraining from picking the series' it publishes

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Coaaab posted:

Among that awards list, I don't really see Kodansha refraining from picking the series' it publishes

Non-Kodansha manga have won in the past, but I see what you mean. It's fairly common for publisher awards to be honest. It's not without merit since their published ones ARE amazingly good.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gahmah posted:

Name a character who has simped harder than Kou Uraki

And why is everyone passing up G Gundam, the coolest gundam fights of all.

Kentaro urashima.

G gundam is barely mecha.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Kentaro urashima.

G gundam is barely mecha.

Kazuya Kinoshita.

And G Gundam is very much mecha. It has giant robots as the primary method of problem solving. It's just that the giant robots can also do kung fu, just like their pilots.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fair enough, more like it’s super robot rather than real robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

The Bones of an Invisible Person?
The Tragically Sad Story of Hopelessness About Friendship?