Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Was there a thread for the My Dress Up Darling anime adaption? I wanna read the goon reactions to episode 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Was there a thread for the My Dress Up Darling anime adaption? I wanna read the goon reactions to episode 11

I don't think there was one. You'd probably have to dig through the season thread.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Yeah, start here, though i think youtube reaction videos for ep 11 would probably be more what you're looking for

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Coaaab posted:

Yeah, start here, though i think youtube reaction videos for ep 11 would probably be more what you're looking for

Cool, thank you

Daedalus1134 posted:

Since I already made it for elsewhere...

lol

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

kirbysuperstar posted:

I didn't get let in to play it presumably because Sydney is a smoking crater still

rip sydney

what happened?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zetsubou-san posted:

rip sydney

what happened?

Zeon dropped a space colony on it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

rip sydney

what happened?

It's a joke/reference to Mobile Suit Gundam where the backstory is Sydney was destroyed by a "colony drop" - a botched military operation to have aanmade space colony dropped to Earth. It was supposed to hit the enemy headquarters but missed or was diverted, I forget which.

The One Week War is a way more interesting series of events, MSG should have been about that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's actually a reference to how Sydney is a smoking crater now. :rip:

Get to work from home this week though so that's sick.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Didn't find an English link: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20220407/k10013570801000.html

Japan's starting an international organization to fight against Manga and anime piracy.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I'm always reminded of Gabe Newell's quote: it's not a piracy problem, it's a service problem.
I still feel that Japan is reluctant / not interested to make their productions easily accessible overseas. If it's more convenient to not pirate, people will pay.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

S2 of kaguya npw. Its good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mahoyo_game/status/1513713767804198916?s=20&t=teCPYRP-dA-29gxTwoSQNQ

Holy poo poo the PS4/Switch release of Mahoyo is going to be in English

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

marumaru posted:

I'm always reminded of Gabe Newell's quote: it's not a piracy problem, it's a service problem.
I still feel that Japan is reluctant / not interested to make their productions easily accessible overseas. If it's more convenient to not pirate, people will pay.

If it's impossible to buy, then piracy isn't a lost sale.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

marumaru posted:

in this particular case... most manga sites straight up won't upload the official English versions, lol. and generally unless they're really close to finishing already, they just drop scanlation when an official one is one the way. if the manga companies think it's impacting their bottom line, then they need to actually sell their products in English lol. Most of us can't read Japanese, so there's no lost sale- I wouldn't buy an official one anyway.

also, only one or two publishers use Kindle unlimited which sucks because $8-$12 a manga volume is painful when it's like 30 minutes to an hour of reading lol. i get that the production cost is a lot higher but give me a break.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

marumaru posted:

Isn't Japan's level of casual technology use like decades behind most US consumer habits? Something like home PC use for web browsing/gaming is way more a rarity then in America.

I read somewhere that the reason VN novels always included 1-2 hardcore sex scenes is the PC gaming market was so small that it was the easiest way to guarantee a certain minimum amount of sales to make your money back.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

marumaru posted:

Nah, except for a few odd things (Hi Kamen Rider) Japan is no better or worse than any other country in terms of making it's content available overseas. We can stream almost every seasonal anime for example, we get Jump titles in English on Manga Plus weekly, Bookwalker has a great digital section, and we have stuff like New Japan world and Wrestle Universe as well. And well for normal TV? It's not like US TV isn't geo locked in places or else we wouldn't be needing VPN's to watch it.

Yeah manga and LN does lag behind a bit as companies are not wanting to ruin overseas business deals or being willing or able to do translations on a scale like Shueisha/Kodansha. And Light Novels needing more time for good translations too. But it's more due to those and other factors than Japan not being willing to release product

Now do they want to make money like all companies do? Yeah that's capitalism and hey it's something companies do here (Hi how many paid streaming services that add up to be the same as a cable bill!)

pentyne posted:

Isn't Japan's level of casual technology use like decades behind most US consumer habits? Something like home PC use for web browsing/gaming is way more a rarity then in America.

Sure, the country that makes a lot of mobage and has constant cell phone use in it's popular culture lags behind the US in casual tech use. Every time I see a smart phone appear in anime or manga I stare in amazement as they use modern tech in a casual setting!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cell phones are not a replacement for the desktop computer you are eating from the trashcan of ideology

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Cell phones are not a replacement for the desktop computer you are eating from the trashcan of ideology

Well yes I agree but try telling that most people!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I still remember how in Persona 2 for PS1 the high schooler party members all already had cell phones. This was late 90s.

Here in America, even adults I knew at the time only had pagers. (remember those?) And, now I think on it, I just got done rewatching the firs 4 seasons of Buffy and none of them had cell phones.

And I know at least some Japanese companies specifically don't care about foreign audiences or marketing. I like otome (girl) VNs and there's a pretty famous one where the company apparently is like gently caress English audiences we ain't ever releasing there. Or so I've been told. is it Diabolik Lovers?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
My dad had a pager. The only thing I remember about it is that it fell out of his pocket in a parking lot and got run over

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

And I know at least some Japanese companies specifically don't care about foreign audiences or marketing. I like otome (girl) VNs and there's a pretty famous one where the company apparently is like gently caress English audiences we ain't ever releasing there. Or so I've been told. is it Diabolik Lovers?

I mean yeah, probably...I imagine it's the same as US/Canadian companies that aren't interested in overseas marketing too.

But even those companies seem to be dwindling? Muv Luv was rumored to be a series the company never wanted to bring over and now it's in English and we're getting more and more kids shows get released.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Fix your blu ray prices and maybe I'll play ball, Japan

Granted I say this, but I've been buying official releases of Konosuba light novels and watching whatever anime gets a theatrical release over here. About the only thing I don't commit to is a crunchyroll subscription and that's more cause I'm old and I remember the service being subpar when it first took off. It's been long enough that this is probably no longer the case, but......:effort:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's always been funny when a company doesn't want to do an English translation because the US alone has 3x Japan's population, not to mention the whole rest of the English speaking world, so it seems like even only mild popularity would double or triple the overall sales and pay for production pretty easily. but i guess a bunch of stuff is a loss leader that's really just advertising for some other product, which makes the math more awkward.

on the other hand supposedly the devil is a part time finally got a second season, and that literally was an advertising one off.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also wow goodbye eri was great lol. a little lacking in depth like basically every oneshot ever, but it's hilarious that it's longer than most full manga volumes.

although, you can see how they pulled that off with so much reused imagery.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

One shots are cool tbh

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Zeon dropped a space colony on it.

at least it didn't hit anywhere important

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

One shots are cool tbh

except when it's an ulcerated tree spirit

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

NikkolasKing posted:

Conversely, I am aware of another Japanese otome game company that only releases titles in English. As in, they write the games in Japanese and pay a translator to put them in English, but never release them in Japan.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you think it would be cheaper to just hire some English fluent writers at that point

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Clarste posted:

Conversely, I am aware of another Japanese otome game company that only releases titles in English. As in, they write the games in Japanese and pay a translator to put them in English, but never release them in Japan.

That rules

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I still remember how in Persona 2 for PS1 the high schooler party members all already had cell phones. This was late 90s.

Here in America, even adults I knew at the time only had pagers. (remember those?) And, now I think on it, I just got done rewatching the firs 4 seasons of Buffy and none of them had cell phones.

I had a cellphone as a kid in the 90s in Denmark, and because my parents worked at DanCall, I'm fairly sure I was one of the first in the school. If memory serves, it was one of the first on the GSM network, as it could do SMS.
All the previous models used the NMT network, which was much better for range but didn't have a standardized way of doing text messages that was deployed in the Nordic countries.

It's interesting to note that Japan went the opposite route, and instead used an email-like system like NTT Short Mail.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 12, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
meanwhile, here in broke redneck land, while almost everyone had a phone starting at 12-14 ish, extremely bad service coverage that was still wider than landline internet (mountains ftw) meant that you pretty much only got texts on the bus or if you were lucky enough to live in town or on top of a ridge lol. i didn't have one consistently myself until I was 18, so i kind of missed all the social media poo poo until 2013. i still don't really get it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The only thing I remember about my first phone was that it was cheap and I got it around 2000 or so. My second phone was a camera phone which had some obnoxious features because it was like 2006 and getting on the internet was a big hassle.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

pentyne posted:

everybody in japan had flip phones that were pseudo-smart phones like 7 years before smart phones came around, so outside of otaku and tech enthusiasts they kinda skipped over home PC usage. back then a lot of websites didn't even have a desktop version, or if they did there wasn't much effort put into it as they assumed most people would be viewing the site from a phone. you can still see the legacy in ugly japanese web design today, it's highly influenced by what worked on a phone 20 years ago.

it was a weird time as japan had this insular phone based internet completely separate from what the rest of the internet was like.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

And well for normal TV? It's not like US TV isn't geo locked in places or else we wouldn't be needing VPN's to watch it.

the thing is that english-language content is easily accessible by most people. i literally learned english organically by consuming content that was readily available to me as a kid on cable. nowadays you have netflix, amazon, disney+, kindle etc that cover a huge chunk of common english-language content. i can sign up to these weird undesirable post-cable streaming services directly through amazon's tv app, and it's a single accidental controller button press away.

japanese content has a different challenge: they can't just lazily unblock non-japanese IPs because 99% of the people who want to watch big booba animu wont be able to figure out where the gently caress to log in. it has to be a deliberate effort by the publishers (read: oh no, it's an investment) to unlock a new target audience that they aren't 101% sure will give them a quick ROI, especially because we've grown up pirating anime and manga due to a lack of alternatives.

and here's where i start making poo poo up: my feel is that japanese corporate culture still has some huge catching up to do and a lot of them must still hold some major misconceptions about westerners who want/watch anime being lazy, entitled bastards who want to bankrupt japan by refusing to give them money (ignoring the fact that most anime/manga are literally impossible for us to get in english).
the pretty big investment necessary to translate a big chunk of their catalog to english is off-putting if you're operating on that mindset. additionally, japan's content-consumption culture is vastly different from the west's, and it just won't work if they try forcing it on us. like the other person posted above, no one's going to pay 8 bucks to read a SINGLE manga volume. get a business model that works for the west. one subscription fee, all the mangos you can read.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zetsubou-san posted:

except when it's an ulcerated tree spirit

They're a cool boss imo. One of my fav designs in the game.

Would get one shot again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm okay with them now I realise how easy they are to just hug the side and avoid most stuff but finding the first one at the bottom of that god awful gargoyle fog door next to the tutorial was ugh....

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I fought that guy for an hour early game but bounced until after Stormveil and got it first try in the rematch. Felt extremely powerful afterwards. Good horrible tree snake imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But nothing could phase me at that point because before I first found it I had already spent 4 straight hours going at the Crucible Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rewatched Mugen Train but the anime version. Still good. Still powerful. Rengoku ftw