Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

This will clearly get deleted soon

https://twitter.com/CrispinBlunt/status/1513603624164859918

'In defence of the convicted Pedo'

Just in case it does:

quote:

I am utterly appalled and distraught at the dreadful miscarriage of justice that has befallen my friend and colleague Imran Ahmad Khan, MP for Wakefield since December 2019. His conviction today is nothing short of an international scandal, with dreadful wider implications for millions of LGBT+ muslims around the world.

I sat through some of the trial. The conduct of this case relied on lazy tropes about LGBT+ people that we might have thought we had put behind us decades ago.

As a former Justice Minister I was prepared to testify about the truly extraordinary sequence of events that has resulted in Imran being put through this nightmare start to his Parliamentary career.

I hope for the return of Imran Ahmad Khan to the public service that has exemplified his life to date. Any other outcome will be a stain on our reputation for justice, and an appalling own goal by Britain as we try to take a lead in reversing the Victorian era prejudice that still disfigures too much of the global statute book.

The victim was 15 years old. I almost want to hear the sequence of events he thinks makes any sexual contact of any description with a 15-year-old okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The 'truly extraordinary sequence of events' presumably involving a lot of accidentally torn clothing, people accidentally tripping, and autocorrect accidentally sending a series of texts over several months.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I absolutely do not at all believe those stupid grindset profiles are not just made up. They don't actually install a guy in your house to make sure you do that you just lie and then they film you performing the steps, which necessarily means you are not doing your grind that day.

It's the capitalist version of the "and then everyone in the classroom stood up and clapped" story, a nonsense fiction that people want to believe because it sounds like their ideal vision of how the world should be.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 11, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1513269696770068484

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just in case it does:

The victim was 15 years old. I almost want to hear the sequence of events he thinks makes any sexual contact of any description with a 15-year-old okay.
he's probably managed to destroy the cross-party LGBTQ+ group at a single stroke with this, which the cynical part of me wants to say is almost as if planned
https://twitter.com/StewartMcDonald/status/1513627626082078720
https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1513627391813468160

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CrispinBlunt/status/1513794463231057922

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
its odd that he felt so strongly about it that he's blown himself up over it.

i guess when you have lgbt persecution issues through the prism of tory exceptionalism you can end up in some unusual places.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I love Labour's new "climate change is good actually" policy platform. An extremely good party.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1513796631325466632?s=20

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

"wait poo poo we're the only soc dem party is europe not getting blown up by our greens? how do we fix this?"

Thankfully no one pays attention to what Labour says anyways these days.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Labour is just the Kayfabe party now. It doesn't matter how obnoxiously fake it all is, the Labour Party is here to insist it's still 1997 until the day it dies.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Thankfully no one pays attention to what Labour says anyways these days.

But, if they did!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/12/labour-winning-policies-party-keir-starmer-public

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

I love Labour's new "climate change is good actually" policy platform. An extremely good party.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1513796631325466632?s=20

https://twitter.com/LegumeEnjoyer/status/1513805708768256004?t=aMpWVocSReiLhPwgTaXnuQ&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Chance to attack the government on tax avoidance, and defending a nonce? Nah that shits over Keith, we gotta take a hard stance against polar ice caps, only thing the focus group likes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hating polar bears plays well in Stockton-on-Tees

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
For the many (SUVs) not the few (glaciers).

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
This is actually quite a good microcosm of what's gone so wrong with Labour's approach.

In taking this stance (which lines up with Priti's 'lock up the protestors' stance, nice on folks) they've decided that their political messaging is going to be firmly aimed at some sort of 'common sense / common working man / don't know anything about art but I know what I like / just trying to get by' parody of humanity that doesn't exist outside of an interior shot of an east-end pub in a Guy Ritchie movie.

It's total short-termism. Rather than saying 'hey, you know what, protests are disruptive, but if the government was actually tackling climate change we wouldn't need to protest' they're just attacking the optics (and their own side).

It's the exact mindset of the public school headmaster who walks into a blazing row and just says 'if we could all calm down...' and then proceeds to punish the poor kid and ooze back out of the room telling everyone to 'play nice' as he goes.

Systemic inequality? Nah, let's just all take a deep breath and then relax back into the status quo.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It's because they believe that working class people are too stupid to understand that kind of nuance and can only be talked down and pandered to. It's insulting as hell and a big giveaway about where their sensibilities rest.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Isomermaid posted:

It's because they believe that working class people are too stupid to understand that kind of nuance and can only be talked down and pandered to. It's insulting as hell and a big giveaway about where their sensibilities rest.

Flashbacks to Cameron and his ‘hard working families’.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jeherrin posted:

In taking this stance (which lines up with Priti's 'lock up the protestors' stance, nice on folks) they've decided that their political messaging is going to be firmly aimed at some sort of 'common sense / common working man / don't know anything about art but I know what I like / just trying to get by' parody of humanity that doesn't exist outside of an interior shot of an east-end pub in a Guy Ritchie movie.

It's total short-termism. Rather than saying 'hey, you know what, protests are disruptive, but if the government was actually tackling climate change we wouldn't need to protest' they're just attacking the optics (and their own side).

Exactly.

The whole "ordinary people are struggling to get to work!" thing is frustratingly myopic. Perhaps things shouldn't be arranged so your finances or your employment are in peril if you once fail to show up at one specific time and place. Perhaps there should be alternative ways of people getting to work other than a load of cars all trying to flow down the same stretch of tarmac. Perhaps getting to and doing work shouldn't be such an all-consuming treadmill that people get fearful and angry when they can't do it. climate change and inequality are much bigger problems than some people being delayed at getting to work.

Thing is, it does suck for the individual people who genuinely do get impacted by delays, but that's the fault of broader issues, not a few protestors. And protests have to be disruptive on at least some level to have any sort of effect.

It's like New New Labour's thing of the purpose of schools being to Prepare Children for Work. Just bland, servile acceptance of the status quo rather than any questioning of why things are the way they are, if that makes sense and how they might be better.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Isomermaid posted:

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1513808413037412354?s=21&t=PkUlumrMiChPCzav-S6g4w

And here’s a great example: very little difference in support for the conversion therapy ban for trans people than for gay people. But their conception of ‘normal people’ is that they’re weirded out by trans people so they have to keep avoiding taking any position that could be perceived as taking their side despite that notion not actually having any basis in reality.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Anyone had experience with small claims court? I'm almost certainly going to be filling against a horse dealer who's taken my deposit, but is refusing to show me the passport so I can't confidently book a vetting.

(Also horse can't be sold or moved without a passport)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
In honesty though: how many people answering that question actually meant that they want to ban therapy aimed at turning people gay/trans.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

peanut- posted:

In honesty though: how many people answering that question actually meant that they want to ban therapy aimed at turning people gay/trans.

This.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
'Hard working families' is such a bullshit phrase. Anyone who uses it should be a kicked out to sea on a raft.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

people are facing misery trying to get to the offices we demanded they go back to 😠

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The biggest obstacle right now for me getting to work is all the roadworks from the new housing estates so I expect to see housing developers thrown in jail.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Angrymog posted:

Anyone had experience with small claims court? I'm almost certainly going to be filling against a horse dealer who's taken my deposit, but is refusing to show me the passport so I can't confidently book a vetting.

Yes, lots. Will PM you.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A lot of people could save themselves a lot of fuel if they didn’t drive like morons. The amount of people I see every day who will continue to accelerate toward a roundabout/junction before braking hard is insane.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Borrovan posted:

Yes, lots. Will PM you.

Thanks

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I cannot believe they didn't know what they were doing when they were putting together the V2 exhibit at the Royal Engineers museum which basically says '1000s of slaves died by WvB's hand but he birthed modern rocketry so it's impossible to say whether he was good or bad'

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Chubby Henparty posted:

I cannot believe they didn't know what they were doing when they were putting together the V2 exhibit at the Royal Engineers museum which basically says '1000s of slaves died by WvB's hand but he birthed modern rocketry so it's impossible to say whether he was good or bad'

There's that alt-history Space Race show called For All Mankind on Apple TV, which is generally very enjoyable, but WvB pops up as a recurring character and I guess the audience is meant to empathise with him because he feels bad about being a mass-murderer. It's a pretty :ohno: beat in an otherwise mostly decent show

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Boris has been fined. Lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wonder how he'll wriggle out of this jam?

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Boris fined for breaking the law?

CON: 5+

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
A little brain teaser for you all. During the Blitz, an asphalt factory on the Isle of Dogs burned out of control for several hours as land-based firefighters were occupied fighting house fires, and the fire brigade's launches were unable to reach it at full power due to an exceptionally low tide. Over a hundred tons of asphalt (the sticky stuff they mix with aggregate to make tarmac) melted and fell onto the foreshore:

It's still there now because of course it's heavy and specifically used for waterproofing. Except it's *not* actually there:

The fire was just south of the jetty at the top of the screen, and "the smoothest bit of road in London" - thank you whoever said that on Discord - starts almost 250 metres south of that, and continues for almost a kilometre:

and in fact has moved at least a hundred metres just since I first learned about it in the 90s, when it was starting to appear at Island Gardens. The thing is that it's moving *upriver* - there's no trace of it at all further downriver.

How? How is a mass of basically solid tar moving at all, let alone upstream?

The answer is one of those that's blatantly obvious once you know it, but a complete brainfuck if you don't. Answers on a postcard please.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just going to sit here and stare at the wall, fantasising about there being any actual consequences.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Angrymog posted:

This is going to be a breach of contract so it's a bit trickier than issuing for a debt, I would suggest taking some legal advice before you go ahead with it.

The actual process of issuing small claims proceedings is very straightforward however if that is what you're asking.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How? How is a mass of basically solid tar moving at all, let alone upstream?
Natural forces of repulsion from Ilford.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ronnie posted:

Boris fined for breaking the law?

CON: 5+

Remember this? All over the bloody news for days!

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-10-01/jeremy-corbyn-should-be-fined-for-breaking-coronavirus-rule-of-six-shadow-minister-says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chubby Henparty posted:

https://youtu.be/QEJ9HrZq7Ro