Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I looked up the designer and it's Matt Forbeck, who hasn't actually designed a game since 1999 when he created... Brave New World, one of the worst superhero games I've ever seen.

There are apparently playtest materials coming out next week but I fully expect this to be a trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GimpInBlack posted:

Yep. His dad.

Oh my god, of loving course.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
He also worked on the superhero CCG Wildstorms, which was... okay? It let The Maxx fight Milk & Cheese, which probably made it the most '90s CCG ever.

Also boy, this Wikipedia page:

quote:

Where it lacked rule ingenuity, cards were really well developed. Although not really referencing to their respective comic powers. Characters were very well balanced. Far better variety than MTG (Magic: The Gathering). Some of the strongest characters could not use certain cards or abilities due to special requirements. Weaker characters could apply almost all types of cards to benefit their "handicap". Characters were plentiful and very different from each other. One unique aspect to the game was that it held a close resemblance to the comics. No two alike character cards could be played regardless of who owned it. Special Plot Twist cards could allow multiple copies of the same unique character to be in play simultaneously.

With so many varied outcomes to the game but with depriving rules, many fans found themselves making their own rules to accommodate the comics. Players would follow the "No Point" system, which meant that characters came into play with a 10-point cost maximum. There was no point to be gained other than "Killing" other characters, no prizes to take as your own. It was a basic game but so addictive to the fans. Battles would last hours, sometimes even days. Since the lack of deck size with "Fan Rules".

That section just ends there.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Splicer posted:

Looks like it rounds to the nearest 5, check out "Swingline Speed 64 (13)"

Yeah, I didn't notice that until just now. And to your point about levels not being innately bad, having some amount of square-based movement in a superhero game isn't necessarily bad. It's still a good way to keep track of where everyone is in a given scene, if you abstract the map enough. But with nothing to go on besides a sheet, having a 13-space speed next to a 6-space speed is making me think they're going to try and just do a D&D grid, and that is 100% not a good way to abstract out superhero movement in a scene. Just having enough space to make moving that much faster worthwhile is going to make a grid annoying to use.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've been playing superhero games since Superhero:2044, and this is far from the worst system I've seen. The Marvel Superhero game (not MSH or the Cortex based one) is still the worst one for me.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I was browsing at my local Barnes & Noble over the weekend and racked with the graphic novels they had the "Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game: Playtest Rulebook" - 120 pages, $9.99 - on the shelf.

I didn't pick it up because LOL at paying for a "playtest" product.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/marvel-multiverse-role-playing-game-matt-forbeck/1139660779?ean=9781302934248

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Splicer posted:

What's the beef with levels in a superhero game as a concept?
I have no issue with power levels as indicators and don't really have an issue with them as caps either, tbh.

This is (apparently) being directly used in formulas, which implies leveling up is the way you increase in power, not an indicator of power. And that's just downright weird for superhero stuff.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah, I didn't notice that until just now. And to your point about levels not being innately bad, having some amount of square-based movement in a superhero game isn't necessarily bad. It's still a good way to keep track of where everyone is in a given scene, if you abstract the map enough. But with nothing to go on besides a sheet, having a 13-space speed next to a 6-space speed is making me think they're going to try and just do a D&D grid, and that is 100% not a good way to abstract out superhero movement in a scene. Just having enough space to make moving that much faster worthwhile is going to make a grid annoying to use.

It just doesn't work for a game where turns can contain moments like "The Sentry grapples Carnage and then moves to orbit." or "The Hulk lifts the Las Vegas strip off the ground."

Even beyond such obvious scaling issues, I've been going through classic Spider-Man comics, and they're constantly changing locale in chase scenes or the like on a scale you couldn't really do in 5-foot squares. It's the kind of thing that might work if you were just focusing on a Marvel Knights street-level game with Daredevil, Moon Knight, Punisher, characters that are generally just a little extra, it could work, but beyond that it just seems like a way to sell minis... but there's already several Marvel games for that, if that's your thing.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Forbeck has some design credits throughout Marvel Heroic, but I suspect that's because he's Marvel's goto "superhero encyclopedia" guy.

FMguru posted:

I was browsing at my local Barnes & Noble over the weekend and racked with the graphic novels they had the "Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game: Playtest Rulebook" - 120 pages, $9.99 - on the shelf.

I didn't pick it up because LOL at paying for a "playtest" product.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/marvel-multiverse-role-playing-game-matt-forbeck/1139660779?ean=9781302934248

You probably could have flipped those for $30/$40. Capitalism, man!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It just doesn't work for a game where turns can contain moments like "The Sentry grapples Carnage and then moves to orbit." or "The Hulk lifts the Las Vegas strip off the ground."

Even beyond such obvious scaling issues, I've been going through classic Spider-Man comics, and they're constantly changing locale in chase scenes or the like on a scale you couldn't really do in 5-foot squares. It's the kind of thing that might work if you were just focusing on a Marvel Knights street-level game with Daredevil, Moon Knight, Punisher, characters that are generally just a little extra, it could work, but beyond that it just seems like a way to sell minis... but there's already several Marvel games for that, if that's your thing.

I've been noodling over a grid-based supers game for years, and I think it's doable, but it would require something like Lancer or Icon with a strong grid/narrative split. Hulk builds up "flip the table" points in the grid mini-game, then wins the grid mini-game and uses the flip-the-table points to lift the Las Vegas strip.

I do not think this game is going to do that, though.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

CitizenKeen posted:

I've been noodling over a grid-based supers game for years, and I think it's doable, but it would require something like Lancer or Icon with a strong grid/narrative split. Hulk builds up "flip the table" points in the grid mini-game, then wins the grid mini-game and uses the flip-the-table points to lift the Las Vegas strip.

I do not think this game is going to do that, though.

imo, you can do something really interesting if make the grid a bit less abstract than something like Fate zones but a bit more abstract than a full D&D grid, then add that combat scene/noncombat scene divide. The point is, there's a lot of interesting work you can do in this context that I don't trust this game to do.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://app.demiplane.com/nexus/marvelrpg

Marvel's going to be on Demiplane, home of Adam Bradford, Pathfinder, and World of Darkness.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's conceivable that if the dev had anything interesting to say about how moving around and engaging with the world actually happened he'd say so. Instead we get "we roll dice like THIS", a tech tree for shot web, and a "Hi, it's the 90s. Missed us?" character sheet.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
It's a pretty horrible combination. Comic books are a visual medium so it wouldn't be too surprising for players to want a visual representation of what's happening. But at the same time the visuals in comic books are notoriously inconsistent which makes it very hard to display them on a grid or anything similar.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Grabbed these from the demiplane video. If you wanted to play M&M 4th Edition, this might be your chance.

https://imgur.com/a/AY6wkSM

Edit: Also, I missed that Demiplane had picked up Free League as well.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 12, 2022

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
On the one hand it looks like they do have a level system -- Captain Marvel is rank 25, and on Spider-Man's full sheet he's rank 10 -- but I can't make any of those numbers add up to anything meaningful.

Like, Spider-Man's modifiers are all +7. Marvel's are mostly +14, except for Resilience which is +9 and Agility which is +19. So maybe you can swap points around?

And what relation do 7 and 14 have to 10 and 25?

Still confident that this is going to be a mess, less confident about how, precisely.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 12, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

potatocubed posted:

On the one hand it looks like they do have a level system -- Captain Marvel is rank 25, and on Spider-Man's full sheet he's rank 10 -- but I can't make any of those numbers add up to anything meaningful.

Like, Spider-Man's modifiers are all +7. Marvel's are mostly +14, except for Resilience which is +9 and Agility which is +19. So maybe you can swap points around?

Still confident that this is going to be a mess, less confident about how, precisely.

Captain Marvel is a Blaster, so she's more agile and less resilient than a Polymath, who is... everything fine?

ninja edit: Which is dumb, because Captain Marvel is about as resilient as they come after, like, the Hulk.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

potatocubed posted:

Ranged damage 3d6 + 77 + 9

What the christ

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

potatocubed posted:

I looked up the designer and it's Matt Forbeck, who hasn't actually designed a game since 1999 when he created... Brave New World, one of the worst superhero games I've ever seen.

There are apparently playtest materials coming out next week but I fully expect this to be a trainwreck.

I was sure we'd had a review of this in F&F and I was right and...

Some of the art was definitely a decision.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Splicer posted:

Ranged damage 3d6 + 77 + 9

What the christ

Plus one for every focus point spent! They have 382 focus to spend. :D

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
This was also the one with the demon summoning browser plug-in, wasn’t it?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

PurpleXVI posted:

I was sure we'd had a review of this in F&F and I was right and...

Some of the art was definitely a decision.
The designs of all of the werebeasts in that game sure were a decision of all time. I wasn't interested in the new game but I saw Forbeck attached and folks you gotta love being a competent worker in a small industry where you can run a game line into the ground with senseless unisystem ambition and later be tapped to handle a hateful megacorps' latest poo poo on a shingle that lets you play with the real branded content and people are guaranteed to play a game you worked on. I need me some of that not-quite-failing-upwards energy in my life.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

potatocubed posted:

BNW is an absolute trainwreck of a game. It's kind of the culmination of every bad 1990s trend in RPG design and publishing, concentrated in a single product line.

Metaplot, super NPCs that drive the metaplot leaving your characters standing around doing nothing, lots of fanfic-level setting fiction in the rulebooks, supplement treadmill, lots of surprise reveals about what is really going in on (that you had to buy the full line of supplements to find out or make sense of), the books themselves were expensive and padded (big fonts and margins, lots of ugly line art, the aforementioned fiction, etc.), oh and did I mention the metaplot actually turned out to be linked to the company's other RPG line (Deadlands)?

Best part: The character creation system - for a supers game - had zero room for player creativity. You picked an archetype (gadgeteer, blaster, brick, speedster, etc.) and got a pre-defined package of abilities to go with it. Whee.

I'm pretty sure the system was all kinds of busted (typical 1990s Stupid Dice Tricks dice pool system, stretched to handle superpowers) but I never bothered to even look at how it actually did anything.

The premise itself was kind of nifty (superheroes emerge in the early 1960s, history diverges at the point of the JFK assassination, and US is now an authoritarian dystopia) and it was at least trying something other than the usual "DC/Marvel with the serial numbers filed off", but literally everything about its execution - uggghh.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The most striking thing to me about BNW is that the designers seemed to have lost sight of the idea that superheroes save people from bad things happening to them, in favour of superheroes-as-wargame. There are plenty of archetypes who are useless at anything but combat. Like the Gasser, whose only power is being a walking war crime, to quote the F&F.

I don't think locking PCs into a setting-specific power suite is a bad idea, per se. I wish more superhero games were more focused, instead of trying to be a Big Two universe where you can create absolutely any kind of character, which turns every superhero into a clunky universal engine. But boy oh boy did they gently caress it up

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Halloween Jack posted:

The most striking thing to me about BNW is that the designers seemed to have lost sight of the idea that superheroes save people from bad things happening to them, in favour of superheroes-as-wargame. There are plenty of archetypes who are useless at anything but combat. Like the Gasser, whose only power is being a walking war crime, to quote the F&F.

I don't think locking PCs into a setting-specific power suite is a bad idea, per se. I wish more superhero games were more focused, instead of trying to be a Big Two universe where you can create absolutely any kind of character, which turns every superhero into a clunky universal engine. But boy oh boy did they gently caress it up
Ted Kaczynski, heroic Delta...[checks notes] militia terrorist! With the power to...[frantically checks notes] e-explode and survive and...keep doing it!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I kind of wonder if this is why we're getting a playtest. Like, if some executives at Disney have looked at "D&D as a brand" and at "Marvel as a brand" and decided they want to be a player in the TTRPG space, I don't think Forbeck will be able to gently caress it up easily. Like, by SA standards he can. Probably already has. But I feel like Marvel's going to want "sales metrics" and "retention" and so forth. And if the playtest reveals this to be reviled, then they'll hire somebody else? Maybe?

It's possible it could just be a garbage fire, everybody moves on, and we get another Marvel game in ten years like clockwork.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have a copy of the new Marvel playtest and am going over it right now. Posted something in the F&F thread already.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hostile V posted:

Ted Kaczynski, heroic Delta...[checks notes] militia terrorist! With the power to...[frantically checks notes] e-explode and survive and...keep doing it!
There are two characters in Progenitor whose power is just making explosions, but Greg Stolze understands that this is only appropriate for a villain.

(One guy's power is actually to transmute other matter into oxygen. The science behind it is, uh, interesting.)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have a copy of the new Marvel playtest and am going over it right now. Posted something in the F&F thread already.

Where'd you get the digital edition?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

CitizenKeen posted:

Where'd you get the digital edition?

Barnes and Noble Nook edition

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder how the Marvel RPG will deal with character generation. The reason people to this day think you can't make new characters in Marvel Heroic is because Marvel didn't want people to play anything but their characters, so they had to sneak it in under 'adapting characters not covered' or similar.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CitizenKeen posted:

https://app.demiplane.com/nexus/marvelrpg

Marvel's going to be on Demiplane, home of Adam Bradford, Pathfinder, and World of Darkness.

Wonder if they'll support all World of Darkness editions or just 5.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wonder if they'll support all World of Darkness editions or just 5.

https://www.worldofdarknessnexus.com/

I assume only whatever the most recent edition is, because developing for multiple editions would be harder.

Also, this whole "Nexus" versus "Demiplane" branding is... weird. Like, how is demiplane different from nexus?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's sad or adorable that they have a chart with geometric modifiers for your character's pick-poo poo-up rolls

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
The ever popular "your chance to run out of ammunition is random" as well. Could only be better if they have ammunition on the price lists..

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
gently caress it, just bring back the old TSR game. FASERIP forever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Unhappy Meal posted:

Plus one for every focus point spent! They have 382 focus to spend. :D
Does the 3d6 do anything on other numbers or is it the roll literally just 89 to 104 damage with a 1 in 72 chance of a funky crit?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Splicer posted:

Does the 3d6 do anything on other numbers or is it the roll literally just 89 to 104 damage with a 1 in 72 chance of a funky crit?

So if the Marvel die is a 1, then if you succeed it's a "Yes, and" result with a lot of abilities having built in bonuses.

If the Marvel die is a 1 and you fail then it's a "No, but" result (which is No, but good stuff, and is confusing because the book calls it a "No, and" result, which I always understood to mean No, and bad stuff).

So you have a 1/6 chance of a roll being moderately more interesting.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

the mechanics are so complicated new players will not be able to have a good time but the mechanics are so bad veteran ttrpg players will not be able to have a good time. this system sucks! has anyone here played ryuutama

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

So if the Marvel die is a 1, then if you succeed it's a "Yes, and" result with a lot of abilities having built in bonuses.

If the Marvel die is a 1 and you fail then it's a "No, but" result (which is No, but good stuff, and is confusing because the book calls it a "No, and" result, which I always understood to mean No, and bad stuff).

So you have a 1/6 chance of a roll being moderately more interesting.
And a .04% chance of either a critical failure by botching or some kinda hyper mega win the game success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

the mechanics are so complicated new players will not be able to have a good time but the mechanics are so bad veteran ttrpg players will not be able to have a good time. this system sucks! has anyone here played ryuutama

It’s so wild that they either reinvented or stole In Nomine’s d666.

I have run Ryuutama a couple times! I dig it.