Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I work from Home and I have a mortgage. I have a gym membership as well and try to go four or five times a week. I have two dogs that go for walks three times a day. I usually drive to the grocery store a few miles away but sometimes, if I feel like something different, I will drive to a different one that is slightly further away. After work I like to relax by playing video games and occasionally going to the local bar. On the weekends I do some cleaning and sometimes play video games or go to the local bar or take my dogs on a longer walk (my town is very walkable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I work from Home and I have a mortgage. I have a gym membership as well and try to go four or five times a week. I have two dogs that go for walks three times a day. I usually drive to the grocery store a few miles away but sometimes, if I feel like something different, I will drive to a different one that is slightly further away. After work I like to relax by playing video games and occasionally going to the local bar. On the weekends I do some cleaning and sometimes play video games or go to the local bar or take my dogs on a longer walk (my town is very walkable).

Swipe right if you’re looking for something real.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

Swipe right if you’re looking for something real.

Lmao

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The guy who invented Sex Wax (for surfboards) lived in Colorado but had an agreement from his divorce that he would have to pay large alimony payments if he didn't hold a job up to a certain age and give his wife a cut of his wages. So he stopped taking wages from his own company and got a job as a professor at UC Davis just outside of Sacramento. He taught one single class a week (I think it was organic chemistry?), flying his own plane from Colorado every Friday morning to teach and usually just flying right back home. That is the commute king in my opinion.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
My commute is 75 miles with no traffic, I used to do it every day (idk how I survived this), then dwindled down to 2 days a week before being remote for 2 years. I would rather do this drive twice a week than have a 20 minute commute both ways every day because 90 minutes in the car is enough time to really get into a podcast or book and just totally shut your brain off. I do miss the walking/bus combo I had in grad school though.

If I’m driving that far for work though, you can bet I’m taking concessions like working out at the gym at work. I can’t imagine being in a job with no flexibility like that built in, or a job where I have to punch in/out or manage how long my breaks are or whatever. Kudos to all of the people who have to work in those jobs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Lifespan posted:

The guy who invented Sex Wax (for surfboards) lived in Colorado but had an agreement from his divorce that he would have to pay large alimony payments if he didn't hold a job up to a certain age and give his wife a cut of his wages. So he stopped taking wages from his own company and got a job as a professor at UC Davis just outside of Sacramento. He taught one single class a week (I think it was organic chemistry?), flying his own plane from Colorado every Friday morning to teach and usually just flying right back home. That is the commute king in my opinion.

Seems like an awful lot of work rather than just being 50% of fabulously wealthy.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

Seems like an awful lot of work rather than just being 50% of fabulously wealthy.

Even more so it is a lot of work just to gently caress over your ex-wife.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I ride my bicycle to work every day. It takes me about 35 minutes. I’m starting a new job soon and my commute will be 37 minutes instead, also by bicycle. go bengals

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

this is me except my sidewalk is better

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I've worked in my bedroom or office for the last 5 years. I'm a pre-covid WFH fella.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I've worked in my bedroom or office for the last 5 years. I'm a pre-covid WFH fella.

best life :hfive:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm not surprised a 3 Dong Horse gets lots of work in the bedroom.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I drive a 2018 Mazda 3 Grand Touring package with a manual transmission. It includes heated seats, the little pop up on dash speedometer, sun roof, etc. It has very low miles (25k ish) on it since I work from home so hopefully it has kept a lot of its value. I got it on 'discount' at a local dealer since they used it as a loaner and it had a couple hundred miles on it. But in retrospect I think everyone assumes they are getting a 'discount' when buying used and I'm not really sure why a manual transmission car would be used as a loaner. I guess every circus has a clown.

My wife would like an electric car due to her commute and we were thinking of trading mine in and getting a shitbox for me, but the one she wants has been backordered for like a year now. I don't feel comfortable sharing my wife's commute without her approval but I will ask her later and update this post if she agrees.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I like foootbawwww

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Who is the smallest Good(TM) offensive lineman in the league?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I work from home so my only real commute is walking to the computer.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM THE POWER BUTTON OF MY WORK PC. ITS TIME TO WORK CLAIMS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I PLUG IN MY PASSWORD (&3DIDNOTHINGWRONG!). I DENY EVERY CLAIM AND I DO MOCK DRAFTS. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I GO ON A WALK OR EVEN WHEN I GET AN ODI COMPLAINT. SOMETHING SOMETHING CURRY NIGHT.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Who is the smallest Good(TM) offensive lineman in the league?

Probably like 6'3 300 lbs at this rate. I was thinking, oh someone must be running the Shanahan scheme still and cut blocking some mofos, but nope, even his kid is trotting out the 6'4, 310 lb Alex Mack.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
God the dead zones in the NFL offseason really are the worst.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was gonna post FO's QBase projections, but it's on ESPN+ and lmao at the idea of someone realizing they're still subscribed to that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kalli posted:

I was gonna post FO's QBase projections, but it's on ESPN+ and lmao at the idea of someone realizing they're still subscribed to that.

I'm pretty sure I have that just because of the Disney+ bundle coming with ESPN+ that I never use.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm pretty sure I have that just because of the Disney+ bundle coming with ESPN+ that I never use.

Post the QBases comrade

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Here's the link if you want to make Steelers / Panthers / Seahawks fans sad I guess:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/dr...l-carson-strong

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1513918515589308418

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1513923393988579340

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

quote:

No quarterback in the 2022 NFL draft has emerged as the clear No. 1 -- unlike Joe Burrow or Trevor Lawrence in previous drafts. And according to Football Outsiders' QBASE 2.0 model, there is statistically no significant difference among the top-five rated quarterbacks in this year's NFL draft.

The model predicts that this year's class is more likely to disappear into obscurity than walk into the Hall of Fame. After all, for every class of 1983, there are years that don't yield any starters (see 2017 and 2013).

Scouts Inc. doesn't project any of this year's quarterbacks highly, which is perhaps why there has been so much action this offseason via trades. The Washington Commanders traded for Carson Wentz, the Denver Broncos for Russell Wilson, the Cleveland Browns for Deshaun Watson and the Indianapolis Colts for Matt Ryan. Jimmy Garoppolo and Baker Mayfield may also be traded before the 2022 season kicks off.

Yet some teams could still enter the draft desperate for a quarterback; the Steelers, Falcons and Panthers come to mind. Given the extensive discussion in Brian Billick's book "The Q-Factor," we know that drafting a quarterback out of need can lead to red flags being ignored and, say, EJ Manuel becoming a franchise's first-round pick. This year's model should serve as a warning for any general manager thinking of drafting a first-round quarterback out of desperation.

QBASE 2.0 combines Andrew Healy's original QBASE model (2015) with Rosen and Olbrecht's functional mobility model (2018) by factoring in a quarterback's rushing ability while also using his adjusted college passing statistics and adjusted years started. The adjustments consider the quality of both the quarterback's teammates and opponents, and while they reward quarterbacks who have steadily improved over time, they penalize one-year wonders.

Interpreting each quarterback's projection is straightforward. A value of 0 is replacement level, whereas any value over 1.5 is indicative of a Hall of Fame career. Read more about this methodology here.

Here are our projections for the 2022 quarterback class:

1. Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh

Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 22

Mean projection: 0.00 TDYAR/A
Bust (< 0 TDYAR/A): 49.7%
Adequate starter (0-0.75 TDYAR/A): 26.2%
Upper tier (0.75-1.5 TDYAR/A): 16.0%
Elite (>1.5 TDYAR/A): 8.1%

Pickett showed significant improvement last season, displaying better pocket movement and above-average arm strength. In addition, while he lacks Malik Willis's playmaking ability, he has pro-style experience and makes good decisions in general (though many of his throws came off quick reads).

Ultimately, he is more of your typical pocket passer, albeit with some rushing ability, and this better balance is reflected in his lower "bust" rate than Willis. Notwithstanding, the model projects him to be a rather risky pick for a team looking for a franchise quarterback.

2. Matt Corral, Ole Miss

Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 34

Mean projection: minus-0.03 TDYAR/A
Bust: 51.0%
Adequate starter: 25.7%
Upper tier: 15.6%
Elite: 7.7%

Scouts view Corral as a relatively fit but slender quarterback who has exhibited the ability to make good throws while anticipating his receivers coming open. In addition, he threw for more than 8,200 yards in college, won the Conerly Trophy in 2021 and was a two-time Manning Award finalist and two-time Davey Award semifinalist. However, Ole Miss' run-pass option offense didn't often require him to make more than quick, relatively simple reads.

As a result, the big question mark is how he will adjust to the significantly more complex NFL game. Our projections are aligned with this hesitancy, but they also give him 23% chance of developing into an upper tier or better starter.

His career trajectory is likely to be determined by the type of situation he is drafted into: Will he fall into the arms of a spread-friendly team?

3. Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati

Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 36

Mean projection: minus-0.22 TDYAR/A
Bust: 58.9%
Adequate starter: 23.1%
Upper tier: 12.7%
Elite: 5.4%

Ridder was a four-year starter at Cincinnati with dual-threat ability, which are both factors positively correlated with NFL success. However, his completion percentage and rushing yards per attempt declined last year, which hurts his projection.

In addition, scouts have concerns about his accuracy and ball placement. Seen by some scouts as a weaker version of Marcus Mariota or Alex Smith, Ridder enters the draft with a middling projection.

4. Malik Willis, Liberty

Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 21

Mean projection: minus-0.26 TDYAR/A
Bust: 59.9%
Adequate starter: 23.0%
Upper tier: 12.2%
Elite: 4.9%

Willis originally played for Auburn but lost the starting job as an incoming junior to true freshman Bo Nix. After transferring to Liberty, however, he displayed excellent physical tools and vaulted up draft boards. Despite displaying the arm strength and mobility required to play at the next level, he has been inconsistent at anticipating receivers coming open and at following progressions, which can result in him breaking the pocket and scrambling too quickly.

Many view him as having the highest upside of this year's class because of his arm talent. But his QBASE 2.0 projection shows the inherent risk that he will not be able to function in the NFL as a pass-first quarterback (though if he plays early on, the offense can be adjusted to highlight his mobility and big-play ability). In the end, he is in line with the other quarterbacks we evaluate: most likely unimpressive but with the potential to exceed expectations.

That said, part of his relatively low projection is due to his Scouts Inc. ranking; if the rumors of him going second overall to the Detroit Lions are true, his projection would jump to 0.28 TDYAR/A.

5. Sam Howell, North Carolina

Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 50

Mean projection: minus-0.27 TDYAR/A
Bust: 59.9%
Adequate starter: 23.2%
Upper tier: 12.0%
Elite: 5.0%

A three-year starter at North Carolina, Howell helped his QBASE 2.0 projection by improving his rushing game significantly last season (his rushing yards per attempt increased from 1.6 to 4.5).

However, he also hurt his projection by regressing as a passer (his completion percentage decreased from 68.1 to 62.5). This is why our model still projects him as a relatively risky pick in comparison to the rest of our sample. An interesting question is whether NFL teams will be nervous about North Carolina quarterbacks after what happened with Mitch Trubisky.
6. Carson Strong, Nevada

Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 93

Mean projection: minus-1.67 TDYAR/A
Bust: 93.9%
Adequate starter: 4.8%
Upper tier: 1.1%
Elite: 0.2%

Since the functional mobility model debuted in 2018, NFL teams have increasingly used a college quarterback's rushing ability as a key factor in evaluations. To be clear, pure rushing ability doesn't dictate success by itself, since each quarterback must also have the requisite accuracy, arm strength and intangibles to succeed in the NFL.

However, Strong is a clear demonstration of how QBASE 2.0 will grade a quarterback who put up minus-4.1 rushing yards per attempt in his last college season. This lack of mobility means that he has a very high chance of being a bust.

Is it possible that he could be successful as a classic pocket passer in the right situation? Sure, but it's not likely.

Conclusion

Will a quarterback be a high draft pick this year? Most likely yes, given that need and desperation have historically clouded teams' judgment. And hitting on a quarterback is so important that teams are understandably willing to take bigger risks than with other positions.

But the warning signs this year are strong, with our model projecting that none of these quarterbacks will perform significantly above replacement value. In turn, these low projections mean that our model is less predictive than usual about the order in which these quarterbacks will be drafted, especially considering a team could fall in love with one of them as the New York Giants did with Daniel Jones.

Ultimately, the story of this year's QBASE 2.0 is buyer beware.

That being said, each of the first five quarterbacks listed above has a 15-25% chance of becoming a high-quality starter. Which means that collectively, there is a very good chance one of these quarterbacks outperforms our projections.

Specifically, there's a 28% chance that at least one of them becomes an elite starter and a 68% chance that at least one becomes an upper-tier starter. We just aren't willing to bet on any of them to be the one.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
And nothing will come of this.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021

Kalli posted:

Probably like 6'3 300 lbs at this rate. I was thinking, oh someone must be running the Shanahan scheme still and cut blocking some mofos, but nope, even his kid is trotting out the 6'4, 310 lb Alex Mack.

Yeah I recall Brian Allen being called undersized at center. He’s 6’2 300.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalli posted:

Holy poo poo, I am (through the Disney+ thing)!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thanks, to give a comparison of what those numbers compare to previous prospects; https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/introducing-qbase-v20

To give guys around each prospect:

0.06 Jameis Winston
0.01 Paxton Lynch
0.00 Kenny Pickett
-0.01 Ryan Tannehill
-0.03 Matt Ryan
-0.03 Matt Corral
-0.04 Kevin Kolb

-0.19 Dwayne Haskins
-0.22 Desmond Ridder
-0.26 Mark Sanchez
-0.26 Malik Willis
-0.27 Jimmy G
-0.27 Sam Howell
-0.29 Blaine Gabbert

Oh hey, and a new worst of the worst:
-1.64 Christian Hackenberg
-1.67 Carson Strong

Some notable whiffs by the stat

-0.05 Matthew Stafford
-0.10 Derek Carr
-0.68 Josh Allen

Notable hits: the other 80 guys with negative grades.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 12, 2022

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

tbh I appreciate that Dan has been stealing from the NFL as a whole/the other owners for a full decade as they've been unnecessarily going out of their way to support him

also feels like the rare sort of thing that might have actual consequences (well "consequences") since it's directly loving with the money of other rich people

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm half expecting nothing to come of this because it'll turn out every owner has been pulling massive accounting tricks to under-report revenue to the league to steal money from the players.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kalli posted:

Thanks, to give a comparison of what those numbers compare to previous prospects; https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/introducing-qbase-v20

To give guys around each prospect:

0.06 Jameis Winston
0.01 Paxton Lynch
0.00 Kenny Pickett
-0.01 Ryan Tannehill
-0.03 Matt Ryan
-0.03 Matt Corral
-0.04 Kevin Kolb

-0.19 Dwayne Haskins
-0.22 Desmond Ridder
-0.26 Mark Sanchez
-0.26 Malik Willis
-0.27 Jimmy G
-0.27 Sam Howell
-0.29 Blaine Gabbert

Oh hey, and a new worst of the worst:
-1.64 Christian Hackenberg
-1.67 Carson Strong

Some notable whiffs by the stat

-0.05 Matthew Stafford
-0.10 Derek Carr
-0.68 Josh Allen

Notable hits: the other 80 guys with negative grades.

Successfully predicting a negative outcome for a drafted QB is extremely low hanging fruit. The vast minority of these guys will fail. More interesting is false positive and false negatives around success. Looking at the table in that link I wouldn’t say that it seems especially accurate when predicting success.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I'm half expecting nothing to come of this because it'll turn out every owner has been pulling massive accounting tricks to under-report revenue to the league to steal money from the players.

My feeling as well. Gonna sweep this under the rug and give old Danny another wrist slap for getting caught. This is pretty much the NFL way.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

My feeling as well. Gonna sweep this under the rug and give old Danny another wrist slap for getting caught. This is pretty much the NFL way.

Don’t be naive. Justice will be served.

They’ll definitely have to pay a fine and they will raise prices to do it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Successfully predicting a negative outcome for a drafted QB is extremely low hanging fruit. The vast minority of these guys will fail. More interesting is false positive and false negatives around success. Looking at the table in that link I wouldn’t say that it seems especially accurate when predicting success.

Definitely not bulletproof, but the positive guys definitely hit at a way higher rate then the negatives though, and even the whiffs are more just moderately disappointing then poo poo from a butt (outside of one particular guy). waffled on adding Cutler to the below, but decided a guy who was a pro bowler probably falls on the other side.

The top 20 the misses are:
(1.40 - 0.33)
#1 Mariota
#2 Baker - Could turn out to just be a Cleveland problem
#6 RG3 - death by field
#12 Vince Young
#14 Jared Goff
#18 Daniel Jones
#19 JaMarcus - haha, hell yeah

Then I just kept going and boy it starts getting ugly fast
(0.29 - 0.07)
#21 Jason Campbell
#22 Sam Bradford
#26 Trubisky
#27 Tebow
#28 Kellen Clemens
#29 Colt McCoy
#31 Geno Smith
#32 Pt White
#34 Christian Ponder
#36 Johnny Manziel
#37 Josh Freeman
#38 Sam Darnold
#40 Drew Lock

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah. I think if your stat can't beat out Walter Football in a mock draft, there's not really much worth sharing.

Why are we paying attention to something that tells us Marcus Mariota and Baker Mayfield were the two best QB prospects of the past 15+ years? Show me the stat that knew Darnold and Rosen were busts while Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott were underappreciated gems.

e: Okay I looked at it and it DID say Rosen was a bust and had Darnold only a bit above replacement level. The stat is good now.

Nov 6, 2002

Sam Bradford wasn't completely useless.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's obviously been a long time since I've seen Sam Bradford play quarterback but I remember him being decent, Just ridiculously overpaid and constantly hurt.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Yeah. I think if your stat can't beat out Walter Football in a mock draft, there's not really much worth sharing.

Why are we paying attention to something that tells us Marcus Mariota and Baker Mayfield were the two best QB prospects of the past 15+ years? Show me the stat that knew Darnold and Rosen were busts while Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott were underappreciated gems.

e: Okay I looked at it and it DID say Rosen was a bust and had Darnold only a bit above replacement level. The stat is good now.

It also had Wilson inside the top 20. No Dak though, weird omission I guess?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarkMaske/status/1513911785581072397

As the kids say, lol and lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lol Jaguars
https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/1513929287052709888?s=20&t=Alm-ZdqNnlSAbgLzRYhz9g