Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This section from the economically insecure focus group is interesting, too:

quote:

Laura Reston: Phyllis, you said we hear a lot of talk and no action. This is for everyone: Tell me about a recent time you heard a Democrat who you feel really got it when talking about the economy, who really understood the challenges we’ve been discussing. Is there someone who comes to mind? And if so, what did they say?

Phyllis: Nope.

Mary: Elizabeth Warren can be very down to Earth.

Hannah: Stacey Abrams.

Angel: Bernie.

Bekira: I feel that Joe Biden tricked us. He was saying all the right things. Again, with the student loan, but then his focus became about the Covid, Covid, Covid, Covid.

Mary: Well, I mean, people are dying. By the millions.

Bekira: I lost three people. So I know. But life goes on for the rest of us still here. What’s going to happen once the Covid is settled? He needs to get back to business. My hope was the student loan situation. That’s what got me. And then now it’s like he lied about it.

Justin: I think he meant it. It just hasn’t been able to happen yet.

Margie Omero: Do you feel like your voice is heard now?

Tony: No. And that’s the part that really irritates me. All my life, since I was 16 years old, I’ve been on my own and made my own way and paid taxes all my life, and it’s like, what do they keep doing with the taxes? You keep hearing about Social Security is going to go broke. Well, that’s money that we contributed in, and that was supposed to be for us when we retire. But they keep taking it, taking it and spending it any way they want. Do they come ask us? That money belongs to us, not to them. And here in Phoenix, Arizona, we’ve got more people on the street living out of cardboard boxes, having to stand in soup lines for hours just to get a meal.

Bekira: We haven’t talked about the drug crisis in this country. I’ve been clean for 16 years now. It starts when you’re young, sipping that first beer at the parties with your family, hitting cigarettes you stole out your mama’s purse, all that stuff builds your character. That’s why I didn’t finish college, and I owe student loans, and all this money. I can’t blame everything on the economy. I have to take some responsibility for what I did with my life. And until we do that and get a handle on that, then we’re going to be sitting here 10 years later talking about “woe is me,” the economy still messed up because the government is not giving us this and that.

Tony: I really don’t think politicians know what it’s like to not know where they’re going to get their next meal from, how they’re going to pay their next bill. I got an electric bill last month for $165. This month, my electric bill, $235. I didn’t change nothing. A lot of it doesn’t make any sense. I get $1,100 a month Social Security. My house payment is $1,450. That’s not counting all my other bills. I have to work 12, 16 hours a day, seven days a week to be able to just survive.

Mary: If the government contributed more toward school, college, the cost of school and the cost of health insurance, I think the economy would improve immensely. I mean, my daughter lives in Europe, and their taxes are higher, but their roadways are perfect. Her fiancé never paid one penny from kindergarten through college, and she has free health. They do pay like $50 a month, but she gets everything for free. And the government pays for that. They see where their taxes go. We don’t see where our taxes really go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Not only were the cameras in the train non-functional, but apparently every single camera in both the train and the station the shooter left out of have been broken due to a "malfunction" for an unknown amount of time (probably a long time) and never replaced or fixed.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1513952299357462539

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 12, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

This section from the economically insecure focus group is interesting, too:

These articles are so frustrating. It's like if you were sick and the doctor just kept asking you how you want him to fix it. These people don't know and they don't have those answers, that's why they elect politicians who are meant to be the experts who help them.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not only were the cameras in the train non-functional, but apparently every single camera in both the train and the station the shooter left out of have been broken due to a "malfunction" for an unknown amount of time (probably a long time) and never replaced or fixed.

The one officer in the station’s radio wasn’t working either per NYT.

Either this dude got really lucky or…well, you know.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Danny is a 47-year old realtor born in America.

In no reasonable world has a realtor been working 14-hour days, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for 20 years straight.
Ah, the "Middle Eastern" threw me off. (Struck me as an origin rather than an ethnicity, but obviously however he wants to describe himself is fine.)

Okay, yeah - he's full of poo poo. There's probably a good rule of thumb that every hour over 40 any professional* self-reports is probably about 10-15 minutes. "I work 80 hours a week!" = I work 48 hours a week, and avoid seeing my family as much as possible.

* It's very different for people who work multiple low-wage jobs, where if they tell you they work 70 hours a week they are probably telling the truth. (And too exhausted to participate in focus groups for shits and giggles.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 12, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I feel like if you had a time machine and a universal translator you could go to any civilization, any time period, and bump into a group of old men bitching that young men's fashion these days is too girly

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I want to see what it is like to live in this man's world where nobody is talking about Trump or Biden.

Going back to this bc I took a way different meaning from it than you did going by the excerpt:

quote:

Michael: I live in Orlando, and when we moved here, it was a beautiful place. Now, right down the street, people are stealing stuff, breaking into cars. And it’s difficult to engage, because you’re afraid that no matter what you say, somebody’s going to take offense to it, even though you may just be wanting to ask a valid question and understand something.

Kristen Soltis Anderson: Can you think of examples?

Michael: It’s almost anything. You can’t mention Trump. You can’t mention Biden.

He's not saying that literally nobody is talking about Trump or Biden; he's pointing out that political affiliation is so emotionally fraught these days you can't hold a convo about Trump or Biden without being attacked for your opinion.

Polls show that political sorting is at its highest peak in modern history, and I reckon that especially people who aren't always on top of the latest FoxNews/MSNBC tropes are leery of being judged harshly for their opinions or voting choices.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Gumball Gumption posted:

These articles are so frustrating. It's like if you were sick and the doctor just kept asking you how you want him to fix it. These people don't know and they don't have those answers, that's why they elect politicians who are meant to be the experts who help them.

And it's meant to frame the fix for this situation as an unknowable answer. In fact, if the people ever figured out the answer themselves, the politicians would do everything in their power to discourage them from doing anything about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The NYT focus group project really is amazing. I have no idea how they collect these people, but some of them seem like they are written for a comedic satire.

- The black agnostic conservative who thinks systemic racism ended in 1972 and that agnostic conservatives have the hardest lives in America.

- The lady who says she had 3 family members die from Covid, but is still mad that Biden didn't open up restaurants and stores fast enough (despite Biden not being the one who shut them down) and that he still talks about Covid too much.

- Whatever this actor in rural southern Virginia is doing to make $50,000 a year.

- The black lady who had never voted for a Republican before who voted for Youngkin because she thought CRT was going to teach her kids to hate America.

- The guy who says that a black woman shouldn't be on the Supreme Court because only the most qualified people should be on the court and has no idea why people call him racist.

- The guy in his 30's who says American culture and society is unrecognizable to the country he grew up in.

- The woman who has spent 7 months trying to find chicken breasts.

- The Biden supporter who said he thought Biden was smart because he is the first President to not have an ivy league degree in 40 years.

- The lady who said she hated Trump, hated Trump's policies, hated the Republican party, and complains that everyone just votes for superficial reasons who voted for Youngkin and gets mad when people say he has similar policies to Trump because he "wears a sweater" and "talks very politely and listens," so he can't have policies like Trump.

- The guy who thinks Biden is a black supremacist who is ashamed of his race.

- The guy who thinks society is too feminized, but also worries that some men are becoming so macho they have become gay.

I guess weirdos must be especially drawn to participate in focus groups.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 12, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

- Whatever this actor in rural southern Virginia is doing to make $50,000 a year.
My best guess: Works at Colonial Williamsburg.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, and this is why I think mocking participants & being sardonic about their replies is politically counterproductive, in addition to sounding tone-deaf & elitist.

From the intro summary to the teen focus group:

quote:

The 12 teenagers were tentative at first, silent after a focus group moderator asked how they felt about high school today. Charlotte, a 17-year-old from Pennsylvania, broke the ice after eight seconds: “I would say stressed.” Others followed along similar lines, though a few also said “normal” and “safe” — not the words that usually jump to mind about school, but this is Covid-era, post-virtual-learning school we’re talking about.

What quickly became clear in our latest Times Opinion focus group, and what may have accounted for some tentativeness, is that several of the teenagers felt worried about being “judged” about what they said. No matter if the answer was their opinion — some were worried about saying the “wrong” thing. “If you’re not super educated on a topic, it’s scary to put your opinion out there, because you don’t want to be wrong,” Charlotte said at another point in the focus group.

Many of the teenagers felt most comfortable when they were with friends or family, but 10 of the 12 also described being “addicted” to social media and meeting people and exploring the world online. They talked about having difficult conversations in class, and they clearly yearned to be able to have open discussions where everyone could share their opinions and not get pounced on for being “wrong” in the eyes of some.

What surprised us the most were the teenagers’ answers to what concerns them about the future and what they would ask their 40-year-old self if they had the chance. No spoilers here — but it may not be what you think.

Spoilers:

quote:

Margie Omero: One last question. Let’s say you were having a conversation with your 30-year-old self or your 40-year-old self. What would you want to know? What would you ask your 40-year-old self?

Jackie: I would probably ask how my mental health is doing and if it’s gotten better, if it’s worse.

Charlotte: The mental health thing. And I’d be curious as to what I was doing, because now I’m not super sure.

Thomas: I’d probably ask myself how my family is doing, because they’re really important to me.

Eva: I’d probably ask what I’m doing with my life, career-wise, and how my family is, too.

America: I would honestly ask if I had a steady income, if I was making good money, and probably if I was just genuinely happy with the life I’ve created.

Paden: Yeah, I would just ask myself, how well did I turn out? And also, for me, the biggest thing is, are my parents still around? Because especially right now, in your younger life, they’re a big part of the decisions you make. And I feel like when they’re not around, it could be a lot more difficult.

Emmanuel: My career, and then my kids.

Owen: I’d ask how my family is and if I’m successful — what I have to do to be that successful.

Milan: I would just see what I’m doing, the people around me, my occupation, stuff like that.

Nicholas: I would ask what my family is doing, and how democracy and how the world are going.

Gabby: I would probably want to know if I was happy and healthy, and if my parents were OK.

:unsmith:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Yeah, the 37-year-old who said this isn't the country he grew up in got me. I'm 37, and this is exactly the loving country we grew up in. (I guess there's just more of everything in general, everything that was coming around when I was a kid/teen is just really prominent now in politics and the economy.)

Except now you get yelled at if you say f-slur, so yeah, I guess that's different from how I grew up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CellBlock posted:

Yeah, the 37-year-old who said this isn't the country he grew up in got me. I'm 37, and this is exactly the loving country we grew up in. (I guess there's just more of everything in general, everything that was coming around when I was a kid/teen is just really prominent now in politics and the economy.)

Except now you get yelled at if you say f-slur, so yeah, I guess that's different from how I grew up.

In the good old days Squidbillies was on comedy central and you couldn't make that show today because the kids would get too offended

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The NYT focus group project really is amazing. I have no idea how they collect these people, but some of them seem like they are written for a comedic satire.

Selection & screening of focus-group participants is a highly structured process in itself. I reckon the participants are a pretty accurate represention of at least a meaningful portion of the demographic for which they're screening--especially given that we're a nation of transpartisan dumbasses.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mellow Seas posted:

My best guess: Works at Colonial Williamsburg.

He says that he "has never had a recurring paycheck" in his life.

So, there is apparently a thriving and well-paying theater scene that keeps him employed with enough one-time acting jobs to make $50k.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bishyaler posted:

And it's meant to frame the fix for this situation as an unknowable answer. In fact, if the people ever figured out the answer themselves, the politicians would do everything in their power to discourage them from doing anything about it.

It reminds me of the pass-the-buck strategy that's been used by 21st-century Dems under the guise of quoting FDR's "make me do it."

No; I'm not getting paid two hundo large/year + bennies to show up at my job half a year & kiki for the cameras. That's your job and we're your bosses. Keep it cute or you'll be out of a job have to find an even less-stressful & more-lucrative job on K Street.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gilbert Gottfried just died at 67.

Family didn't disclose the reason, but said he had "been battling a long illness" and that the death was an unexpected rapid worsening of the condition.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1513971136240959500

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah and it was zillow.

The housing data pissed off Burry this morning.
https://twitter.com/BurryArchive/status/1513909341019152392?t=aw3vp6F0wA2rVoAi7o923w&s=19
Those formulas are pure sophistry

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cat botherer posted:

To be fair, the random person in the tweet is also just making up bullshit.

If you read the paper, they are basically creating their own "adjustment" based on online list prices of houses and cars. Which are not an accurate measure of inflation for many reasons, but the biggest and most obvious ones are:

- Nobody ever pays MSRP for a new car.
- A list price on a house is not what it sells for.
- Redfin.com does not encompass all real estate sales.

I like that they just threw in a picture of a differential calculus problem with a no context/nonsense variable value because they assumed that most people would see that and assume "long calculus = smart. This checks out."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 12, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

cat botherer posted:

Friend if you think that about the formulas, might I interest you in googling "owner's equivalent rent"?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The only correct thing is Danny mentioning people driving like self-absorbed shitheads and ME ME ME GET OFF MY ROAD! :freep:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 12, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The NYT's new project to do monthly focus groups of random Americans is a journalistic treasure. Sometimes, it is very interesting and sometimes it is very hilarious. This one leans a little towards the latter.

This one is a group of only men (of various ages, races, and incomes) who said they "lean conservative" when asked to self-identify. Half of them recently became conservatives and the other half have been life-long conservatives.

The focus group subverts expectations again.

"Black, middle-aged, conservative agnostics, who work in mortgage financing and live in Maryland have the toughest lives in America" is not where I thought the focus group of conservative Americans would end up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/12/opinion/conservative-voters-america.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytopinion

Really? A racially-diverse lineup of well-off retirees and white-collar workers seems like exactly what the NYT Opinion section would aim for. It's the perfect demographic spread to portray a sympathetic view of the group to the NYT's primary audience.

That said, it's still basically bringing Trump Safari in-house. So while it's pretty funny, and it's a good reminder that voters are often more ideologically chaotic than we tend to give them credit for, I'm still annoyed at the NYT about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The two fake DHS/Secret Service bribing guys are allowed to go free until their trial (with a few restrictions) because the prosecutors still haven't been able to figure out what they were trying to achieve or who they work for.

One of them has 4 kids and wife who is "immobile" because she just had surgery and he needs to be released to care for them.

They can't leave the country, possess guns, pickup any criminal charges, or miss any court dates.

https://twitter.com/SarahNLynch/status/1513973592677101568

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

One of them has 4 kids and wife who is "immobile" because she just had surgery and he needs to be released to care for them.

Did they glean this when they sat him down across the table from The Bobs who prompted him with, "And what would you say radicalized you?"

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

So while it's pretty funny, and it's a good reminder that voters are often more ideologically chaotic than we tend to give them credit for, I'm still annoyed at the NYT about it.

Think about the stupidest person you interact with on a daily basis, then recoil in horror as you realize that as someone who uses the word "ideologically", that they are actually close to the median.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Really? A racially-diverse lineup of well-off retirees and white-collar workers seems like exactly what the NYT Opinion section would aim for. It's the perfect demographic spread to portray a sympathetic view of the group to the NYT's primary audience.

That said, it's still basically bringing Trump Safari in-house. So while it's pretty funny, and it's a good reminder that voters are often more ideologically chaotic than we tend to give them credit for, I'm still annoyed at the NYT about it.

What was particularly "sympathetic" about the conservative participants' replies?

Also, as pointed out, it's one of a series of focus groups the NYT is sponsoring. Why are you annoyed about this one, or are you annoyed in general with focus groups?

eta: I will posit, not in particular response to you but in general, that I think focus-group answers tend to rile people up bc they're unfiltered, and fb- or twitter-style algorithms don't hide them from view for those who hold opposing beliefs.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 12, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

eta: I will posit, not in particular response to you but in general, that I think focus-group answers tend to rile people up bc they're unfiltered, and fb- or twitter-style algorithms don't hide them from view for those who hold opposing beliefs.

I'd argue it's almost the opposite - FB shovels you opposite beliefs, but usually on some sort of line or message. At least the one focus group seems pretty scattershot about what they're saying

Though I'm glad we can all agree that Jason Statham and Denzel Washington are the pinnacles of masculinity

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think the focus groups are really interesting because you can let people answer open-ended questions and expand upon their reasoning. Even though, they are admittedly not very scientific. With polling questions people could have nuanced (or crazy) reasoning behind their answers that you can't really pick up in a yes or no question.

In this case, if you were getting a random or representative sample of "conservative men," then you probably wouldn't end up with a group that is 20% black, almost all college grads, and almost all upper-income like this group.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yeah, the utility of focus-group testing is in hearing people's reasoning & unfiltered opinions.

I'm thinking of that one focus-group NYT story we discussed a few months ago that had the NYT editor challenging participants' opinions that were critical of Dems. That went against every focus-group standard there is about not influencing or challenging participants' views.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 14, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Danny is a 47-year old realtor born in America.

In no reasonable world has a realtor been working 14-hour days, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for 20 years straight.

Making a ton of money and being insanely whiny about it are both staples of working in property sales/rental

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The two fake DHS/Secret Service bribing guys are allowed to go free until their trial (with a few restrictions) because the prosecutors still haven't been able to figure out what they were trying to achieve or who they work for.

They can't leave the country, possess guns, pickup any criminal charges, or miss any court dates.

https://twitter.com/SarahNLynch/status/1513973592677101568
This whole story is too loving weird

They still don't know how they got all of that poo poo yet, but it has to be that they are affiliated with some kind of state actor

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

What was particularly "sympathetic" about the conservative participants' replies?

Also, as pointed out, it's one of a series of focus groups the NYT is sponsoring. Why are you annoyed about this one, or are you annoyed in general with focus groups?

Sympathetic to the NYT's core audience of affluent and highly-educated centrist-liberals, I mean.

The typical Trump Safari article goes to a 99%-white town far from a city to interview random older blue-collar workers and retired blue-collar workers, playing into the typical "wealthy Northeastern liberal" idea that most conservatives are just uneducated white rednecks.

By contrast, this article selected a majority-minority grouping composed almost entirely of white-collar jobs, many of which require a college degree. That's a grouping that appeals a lot more to the sensibilities of the NYT's traditional audience.

And frankly speaking, I don't trust the motives of the NYT Opinion team, and that includes Deputy Opinion Editor Patrick Hawley, author of articles like A Republican Leader's Idea For Our Supply Chain Crisis (which is just a multi-paragraph lineup of excuses for letting Josh Hawley write an article for the Opinion section) or How Conservatives Think About George Floyd’s Death and BLM. The guy loves focus groups, certainly, but a newspaper's Opinion section running focus groups just to print transcripts as Opinion pieces raises some concerns about the methodology.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

selec posted:

The one officer in the station’s radio wasn’t working either per NYT.

Either this dude got really lucky or…well, you know.

If you want to call this a false flag, just say that then instead of vague insinuations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

If you want to call this a false flag, just say that then instead of vague insinuations.

I have no idea what happened. Most parsimonious theory would be a lone shooter with a hoard of grievances. But after Epstein’s murder, nothing would surprise me from NYC law enforcement.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I mean we have people writing multiple page reports of possible catastrophic bridge collapses, and then years later the bridge collapses and it's like "My god, who knew this could happen!", which I can only imagine is going to come out about the cameras.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
First cop on the scene at the shooting had a non-functioning radio and asked bystanders to call 911.

NYPD budget is about $11,000,000,000

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jaxyon posted:

First cop on the scene at the shooting had a non-functioning radio and asked bystanders to call 911.

NYPD budget is about $11,000,000,000
Sounds to me like they need more then! Strip the copper from the walls, I'm sure we could find another billion or two

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

false flag implies a lot more intentionality than the most common you know in question. there's a fairly common strand you see in poo poo like this, most prominent recent examples being Dzhokar Tsarnaev and whoever the guy who went on a shooting spree with a duffel bag full of cash up in Canada was, where someone has been cultivated as a source by law enforcement and as a result response is not just slow, initial responders are told "shut the gently caress up, you want to get us into trouble again?"

law enforcement's habit of using unhinged vigilantes as proxies bites it in the rear end a lot, and hearing this guy was wearing some dumbass high-vis uniform? as long as we're still just vomiting uninformed theories into the void, seems sensible as any.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I don't think the "you know" is implying false flag, just that for some reason or another police were sympathetic enough to let him get free. I'm doubtful but it's also not a very weird thing to wonder considering it's happened. Incompetence makes more sense right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

I think I speak for everyone who's lived in/is from NYC when I say "lol there are supposed to be working cameras on the trains?"