Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Uh, or, maybe don't conflate race and DSD, because what you're doing here is minimizing the discrimination that DSD and trans individuals face. It is "explicitly" enforcing a sex and gender binary, and though I absolutely think WA maintains white supremacy, this is a pretty garbage example to hang that on.

Unless I’m misunderstanding what is being said, why can’t it be both?

It’s just a perfect example of how arbitrary rules are made by elites in a thing that can never be “fair” (sports) as a means to discriminate the already disenfranchised.

It’s personally my shortcut example to determine if someone is a piece of poo poo racist and transphobe, especially those that consider themselves on the liberal end of the spectrum.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Uh, or, maybe don't conflate race and DSD, because what you're doing here is minimizing the discrimination that DSD and trans individuals face. It is "explicitly" enforcing a sex and gender binary, and though I absolutely think WA maintains white supremacy, this is a pretty garbage example to hang that on.
Better tell the IAAF then

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe I misunderstood you, it sounded like you were saying you could diagnose Semenya's level of insensitivity just by looking at pictures of her at sports events based on whether she looks like a "typical woman"

Not making general claims that people with higher sensitivity have beards and penises and stuff and are therefore more often raised as men (she wasn't)

Sorry if I misunderstood, it sounded really weird so I was just asking!

You can't accurately diagnose someone's level of AIS just by looking at them at a sporting event. It probably is a component of why they have a masculine or feminine appearance, but it's only one of many factors that cause a masculine or feminine appearance, so you can't disentangle it as a variable. The only way you can find the grade of AIS specifically is looking at someone's genitals.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think that the gender binary has indeed disproportionately impacted cis-Black women in diminishment of their gender. A lot of our standards of beauty and the expectations of what a woman should be are interwoven with whiteness and recent Western cultural trends.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Unless I’m misunderstanding what is being said, why can’t it be both?

It’s just a perfect example of how arbitrary rules are made by elites in a thing that can never be “fair” (sports) as a means to discriminate the already disenfranchised.

It’s personally my shortcut example to determine if someone is a piece of poo poo racist and transphobe, especially those that consider themselves on the liberal end of the spectrum.

Sorry, I'm not discounting intersectionality here, I imagine we all agree that someone like Semenya has to deal with more poo poo because she is DSD and black than DSD alone. White supremacy exists and always makes things worse. It's that other dominant black runners have not had to deal with this kind of total assault on their existence, and unremarkable trans athletes have to deal with it independent of their race. There is obvious racism in running, but there is a subset of powerful people with a philosophical objection to DSD or trans people competing at all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Sorry, I'm not discounting intersectionality here, I imagine we all agree that someone like Semenya has to deal with more poo poo because she is DSD and black than DSD alone. White supremacy exists and always makes things worse. It's that other dominant black runners have not had to deal with this kind of total assault on their existence, and unremarkable trans athletes have to deal with it independent of their race. There is obvious racism in running, but there is a subset of powerful people with a philosophical objection to DSD or trans people competing at all.

I guess that depends on whether one of the IAAF officials making the rules saying that there's so much inbreeding in 'developing countries' that they have to keep a closer eye on sex disorders is a "total assault" or not but there's clearly more than just hatred of intersex or trans people going on here

Like I don't know what a "total assault" is but saying there's so much inbreeding outside of Europe that you gotta look out is pretty drat bad imo

E: the government of South Africa has also objected to how racist the IAAF and IOC are being, and I feel like the African National Congress probably has more experience with this kind of thing than white goons idk, I'm gonna lean a little on their side I hope that's okay

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 12, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gentleman Baller posted:

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this happened tbh.

In 1992 a woman, Zhang Shan, won a silver medal in a mixed sex shooting event. Women were banned from that event for the next Olympics. Couldn't have her taking the gold, you understand.

In 2016, trans man boxer, Patricio Manuel won his first and only professional boxing match. No boxer since has ever agreed to a match with him, for obvious sexist transphobic reasons.

It's less likely than those two examples above but you know, there's a trend here. I could see the competitors making it a thing.

goddamn

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

I guess that depends on whether one of the IAAF officials making the rules saying that there's so much inbreeding in 'developing countries' that they have to keep a closer eye on sex disorders is a "total assault" or not but there's clearly more than just hatred of intersex or trans people going on here

Like I don't know what a "total assault" is but saying there's so much inbreeding outside of Europe that you gotta look out is pretty drat bad imo

E: the government of South Africa has also objected to how racist the IAAF and IOC are being, and I feel like the African National Congress probably has more experience with this kind of thing than white goons idk, I'm gonna lean a little on their side I hope that's okay

So your contention is that if Caster Semanya was white, she would not have had to face any of this scrutiny?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

So your contention is that if Caster Semanya was white, she would not have had to face any of this scrutiny?

There's a long and storied history of medical related demagoguery when it comes to black women.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

No.

My contention is that an IAAF official was justifying extra scrutiny for everyone from "developing countries" because they're supposedly full of inbreeding, so I guess I just disagree that this isn't also a clear example of racism.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Less likely, though not 100%, yes. There is a component of racism here as well.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Absolutely. Her medical information would have not leaked if she was a white person from a European or North American country.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the big reasons why intersectionality needs to be a thing is because it already certainly is for the bigots, they're basically all the same people and all their hatreds run together ultimately.

VitalSigns posted:

No.

My contention is that an IAAF official was justifying extra scrutiny for everyone from "developing countries" because they're supposedly full of inbreeding, so I guess I just disagree that this isn't also a clear example of racism.

l o fuckin' l especially if anyone remotely British was involved

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

l o fuckin' l especially if anyone remotely British was involved
Then I am pleased to inform you that the official, Dr Stephane Bermon, is French!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

if semanya was white, she would not be seen as transgressing against the western notion of femininity (because whiteness is foundational to this notion)

to a greater or lesser extent, everything about presenting as a woman in western culture is based in the aesthetics of whiteness

how many times have you heard the williams sisters or michelle obama called "mannish"?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

A big flaming stink posted:

if semanya was white, she would not be seen as transgressing against the western notion of femininity (because whiteness is foundational to this notion)

to a greater or lesser extent, everything about presenting as a woman in western culture is based in the aesthetics of whiteness

how many times have you heard the williams sisters or michelle obama called "mannish"?

People had no problems calling Jarmila Kratochvilova "mannish." Or are Czechs not white in your world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObikI1d8xPI

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

PeterCat posted:

People had no problems calling Jarmila Kratochvilova "mannish." Or are Czechs not white in your world?

Eastern Bloc countries weren't capital W white until the wall fell, so yea.

Shes also juiced out of her mind, which was also a popular Eastern Bloc pasttime.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the big reasons why intersectionality needs to be a thing is because it already certainly is for the bigots, they're basically all the same people and all their hatreds run together ultimately.

A great example of this is thread poster Internaut!

Who is already off probation despite posting seriously transphobic poo poo and also seriously racist poo poo

Fluffdaddy posted:

Eastern Bloc countries weren't capital W white until the wall fell, so yea.

Shes also juiced out of her mind, which was also a popular Eastern Bloc pasttime.

Speaking of racism have you read the posts by Internaut!?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

A great example of this is thread poster Internaut!

Who is already off probation despite posting seriously transphobic poo poo and also seriously racist poo poo

Speaking of racism have you read the posts by Internaut!?

Actually the real problem was his poor discussion practices, which is hardly more than a 3 day offense, isn't it

Incidentally this article was really interesting and everyone should at least try and read it

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PeterCat posted:

do you seriously dispute that black women are systemically denied their womanhood by society at large, especially if they choose to eschew traditional white presentations of femininity (the hair stuff etc)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

PeterCat posted:

That's a load of steroids right there goddamn

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think that everyone posting "no" or some variation of in this thread who also posts "transwoman" or "biological male" or "transgendered" should be threadbanned until they have even a cursory knowledge of trans issues at the minimum; in several cases banned for out and out transphobia OP

Miss Broccoli fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 14, 2022

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you can't get the most basic of terminology right, even after being told what you are doing perpetuates harm, you are just posting to poo poo on the minority you have a varying amount of discomfort and hate for. You aren't here to discuss the issues or the science, you're just here to be hateful.

E: if you say yes and also use these terms please just stop. If you can't even get the most basic of things right - the base terminology - then you really have no business in talking about whether or not we deserve rights. I am loathe to compare gender to race but theres a reason you say person of colour instead of coloured. theres a reason you say black man and not blackman. the grammar matters and is very important. golly gosh.

Miss Broccoli fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 14, 2022

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

So trans woman is ok? Example sentence: "Trans women but not cis women" would be ok terminology?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

So trans woman is ok? Example sentence: "Trans women but not cis women" would be ok terminology?

Yes, I believe trans woman is preferred over transwoman because the person is still a woman and trans is only a modifier.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Just Chamber posted:

There is no one overarching organization that decides these things, but GLAAD and AP style guides are useful here:

https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender

quote:

How to describe the fact that someone is transgender. Transgender should always be used as an adjective. For example, "Marisol is a transgender woman." If your audience needs clarification about what that phrase means, you can explain that "Marisol was designated male at birth, and began her transition 15 years ago." Avoid "Marisol was born a man." People are born babies and a doctor assigns a sex to an infant based on a quick look at the baby's external anatomy. A transgender person's gender identity is not determined by the sex they were assigned at birth. An oversimplification like "born a man" invalidates the current, authentic gender of the person you're speaking about and is considered disrespectful.

https://www.prnewsonline.com/ap-style-diversity-equity-inclusion/

quote:

Transgender

Describes people whose gender identity does not match the sex they were identified as having at birth. Does not require what are known as sex reassignment or gender confirmation procedures. Identify people as transgender only if pertinent, and use the name by which they live publicly. The shorthand trans is acceptable on second reference and in headlines. ​​Do not use as a noun, such as referring to someone as a transgender, or use the term transgendered.

Examples:

Bernard is a transgender man. Christina is transgender.

She was the Grammy Awards' first trans woman trophy handler.

https://diversity.uiowa.edu/resources/dei-style-guide/style-guide-gender

quote:

Transgender is an adjective (so modifying man or woman—as in transgender man, transgender woman) in Western cultures that refers to someone whose assigned sex at birth does not match their gender identity. AP allows the use of trans on second reference and in headlines. Do not use transgender as a noun or use the term transgendered.

PP lists some outdated terms and why
https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/gender-identity/transgender/transgender-identity-terms-and-labels

As always, if a member of a group tells you to use a different term, you should listen to them.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 14, 2022

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just Chamber posted:

yes absolutely! It's an adjective, like "tall woman" or "florida man"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Florida'd Man

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

woozy pawsies posted:

this is old but ive seen you make this argument before about wilks. 1: wilks has different coefficients for male and female. the reason women can compete with men using wilks is because the wilks coefficient adjusts for them being weaker. 2: the guy who came up with it is a sex predator and wilks has been dropped by many and they use DOTS instead (still different for men and women).

and hormones matter a lot in lifting, you just cant control it (unless you are on gear), so no one worries about it cause why worry about something you cant control. and people on gear are way stronger than people not on it. do you even lift? does anyone here actually compete in sports???

herstory was literally a competition lifter, friend.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Trans women aren't biological women

Trans women and bio women should be allowed to compete but also trans men and bio men should be able to compete with the trans women and bio women and also peds should just be accepted so everybody can stop hiding them

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Also trans just sounds dumb we should give ita cool name like uhh maybe morphed

TheSpamalope fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 15, 2022

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
He's not rick anymore he's morphin into stella. He's a mighty morphin gender changer

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheSpamalope posted:

Trans women aren't biological women

Trans women and bio women should be allowed to compete but also trans men and bio men should be able to compete with the trans women and bio women and also peds should just be accepted so everybody can stop hiding them

Hey Koos, this is the exact example of the thing I dmd you about. Do you seriously expect this to be engaged with?

If you actually think this is not creating an overtly hostile atmosphere or is a teachable moment, well,

To show good faith: Spamalope please tell me exactly how my biology did not make me a woman. Do you think I was not born trans? Please detail how I am not on the female peak of the sexual dimorphism spectrum with my lack of testes and slow release estrogen implants.

Miss Broccoli fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 15, 2022

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Miss Broccoli posted:

Hey Koos, this is the exact example of the thing I dmd you about. Do you seriously expect this to be engaged with?

You seriously tryin to say morph isn't cooler than trans? Just lmso

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a roman history dork; why would I not take the latin word.

Koos can you not see how incredibly tedious this is and how me and others who have spoken to you can instantly see what sort of person they are?

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Animals should be allowed too it's bullshit they can't I'm pretty sure theyd kick are asses at lots of stuff

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Miss Broccoli posted:

I'm a roman history dork; why would I not take the latin word.

Koos can you not see how incredibly tedious this is and how me and others who have spoken to you can instantly see what sort of person they are?
Looking at their posts and rap sheet seems to me like they're drunk. Drunk transphobic "jokes" are just as unacceptable as sober ones, of course.

They're on a placeholder while further action is processed (requires admin approval for anything more than 24 hours).

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Miss Broccoli posted:

then you'd think they know wilks is calculated differently based off gender. it is not gender-neutral.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

woozy pawsies posted:

then you'd think they know wilks is calculated differently based off gender. it is not gender-neutral.

for instance, if i take what looks like to be the highest total for a female lifter, 1479.3lbs @ 311.4lbs bodyweight, they get a wilks score of 520.95 (world class, duh). switch the calculation to male and they get 374.47 (mediocre score).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Miss Broccoli posted:

i didn't do powerlifting competitively and though i got decently strong by strength sport standards, woozy afaik is both much more knowledgeable and certainly more up to date in his knowledge than me. i was mostly paraphrasing some greg nuckols articles wrt overall role of hormones in strength development and muscle growth.

Also i have a major personal bias against people reducing athletic performance to hormone use and imo a lot of the yelling about trans athletes seems to come from a similar place of people making arguments that just have no connection to the things that actually lead to athletes performing well for long enough periods of time to actually become dominant in a sport. I think the hormone focus gets especially bizarre when the subject is efforts to ban trans kids from youth sports.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 15, 2022