Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Cimber posted:

"Hey, look, we are talking! See? We are talking while we bomb refugee convoys. We are not the bad guys cuz we are talking!"
"You're publishing evidence of our egregious war crimes‽ You're striking military assets within Russia itself‽ You're continuing to resist our invasion‽ Why are you blocking the peace process like this???"

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

The negotiations were never in good faith. This changes nothing.

Its this. The negotiations were always about dragging out and appearing that they were using diplomacy. Russia has kidnapped people and children, they are in no way interested in a peaceful solution.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

zoux posted:

Let's say Putin had a sudden cerebrovascular event that killed him (this is not unprecedented among Russian rulers): who the hell takes over? Or does the country immediately fall apart?

I just watched a documentary about this, from what I can tell Jason Isaacs takes charge.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The official answer with regards to Putin's successor is "no one knows."

The unofficial answer is the one that's been true in Russia since the fall of the Tsars: whoever is the most tactful and/or violent. My money's on Igor Sechin.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

What about his daughter?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Tired: Give Ukraine US Fighters
Wired: Give Ukraine B-52s from the boneyard.

I read this as B-25s and quite frankly reviving a fleet of those with 75mm nose cannons would be metal as gently caress

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just watched a documentary about this, from what I can tell Jason Isaacs takes charge.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:hmmyes:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Actually it’s Steve Buscemi, but Jason Issacs helped a lot!

Seriously I love that movie so much. Also I noticed Beria and Zhukov reunited for Operation Mincemeat. :yayclod:

Also in good news.
Pentagon looks to vastly expand weapons for Ukraine

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/04/12/pentagon-ukraine-weapons/

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Baby loooooooove shack, just a little old *crumpf*
Galaxy brain: Give the Ukrainians F-117s from the boneyard. Get around the km/knots thing with a Garmin duct taped to the cockpit.

zoux posted:

Let's say Putin had a sudden cerebrovascular event that killed him (this is not unprecedented among Russian rulers): who the hell takes over? Or does the country immediately fall apart?
Wasn't the USSR ruled by committee for a few years after Stalin died while there was a lot of infighting to see who would rule? I'd guess that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Wasn't the USSR ruled by committee for a few years after Stalin died while there was a lot of infighting to see who would rule? I'd guess that.

Death of Stalin is actually surprisingly historically accurate, for a comedy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Galaxy brain: Give the Ukrainians F-117s from the boneyard. Get around the km/knots thing with a Garmin duct taped to the cockpit.

Malenkov (Tambour) for 9 days and then Khruschev (Buscemi)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A.o.D. posted:

The negotiations were never in good faith. This changes nothing.

It means they no longer see value in pretending.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The official answer with regards to Putin's successor is "no one knows."

The unofficial answer is the one that's been true in Russia since the fall of the Tsars: whoever is the most tactful and/or violent. My money's on Igor Sechin.

Who knows, I'm shocked that Putin really has near total control of the Russian state. You don't get away with making choices like this that damage the rich and your own population if you don't. The situation is probably more like that of a post-colonial African state than it was at the fall of the USSR or after the death of Stalin but it seems like every powerful Russian institution besides the intelligence community has been utterly gutted so it's probably not going to be pretty.

GD_American posted:

Death of Stalin is actually surprisingly historically accurate, for a comedy.

I mean I feel like it gets the vibes and personal conflicts right but chronologically it mashes together events and conditions in the Soviet union that would have happened years or even a decade apart into months or days.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Who knows, I'm shocked that Putin really has near total control of the Russian state. You don't get away with making choices like this that damage the rich and your own population if you don't. The situation is probably more like that of a post-colonial African state than it was at the fall of the USSR or after the death of Stalin but it seems like every powerful Russian institution besides the intelligence community has been utterly gutted so it's probably not going to be pretty.

I mean I feel like it gets the vibes and personal conflicts right but chronologically it mashes together events and conditions in the Soviet union that would have happened years or even a decade apart into months or days.

It's a True War Story, as told by Tim O'Brien.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's a True War Story, as told by Tim O'Brien.

I like to describe those sorts of things as not necessarily factual, but nevertheless true in the sense that they accurately convey the essence of their subject matter. Same with Catch-22 and Pentagon Wars.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, he discusses it in The Things They Carried. It's a great little chapter.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also, which pilots are we pulling off active duty to learn the new platform, and where would we train these pilots? Basically half cripple Ukraine's airforce for a few months while we ship them to a NATO ally for training and back again? Or let them train in Ukrainian airspace? Good luck with the latter.

Third option,

AVG

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Blind Rasputin posted:

Or let them train in Ukrainian airspace? Good luck with the latter.

not the first time we have sent "advisors" to "train" people on the use of our aircraft in a conflict area, is it?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm surprised none of these George Will-rear end chickenhawks have tried flogging a 21st century Lafayette Escarille

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Elviscat posted:

Aeronautical navigation.

Who measures airspeed in ropes?!? WHAT KIND OF COUNTRY IS THIS

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Flikken posted:

Third option,

AVG

Ah yes, the “American Very Good”. I knew one of those guys. Bought many an acre of farmland with his pay.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Flikken posted:

Third option,

AVG
I think this would massively piss off Putin into using WMDs in some way, but then again Wagner's supposedly in Ukraine.
AVG F-22s

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Alan Smithee posted:

Who measures airspeed in ropes?!? WHAT KIND OF COUNTRY IS THIS

The kind that's landed on the moon :smuggo:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

So the former president of Ukraine that was on the lam after the war started got captured today
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1513943691555188737?s=20&t=f1P-43CeYCo1NA5BIyIPTA
It's spawned a lot of pretty great memes - there's a thread in GBS. But this is a favorite I had to share

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Guy looks like a crackhead.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

when you're an oligarch you afford it

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Meet Mozart Group, the anti-Wagner Group.

https://twitter.com/historicfirearm/status/1514036068265385990?s=19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
:sigh:

https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1513977405865607177

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

So the former president of Ukraine that was on the lam after the war started got captured today
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1513943691555188737?s=20&t=f1P-43CeYCo1NA5BIyIPTA
It's spawned a lot of pretty great memes - there's a thread in GBS. But this is a favorite I had to share

So this was the guy who Putin would have installed? The former future president? Makes sense that he was caught in Ukraine, had to be close to Kyev to claim the throne

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://youtu.be/vfpgpf6QVnI

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Russia should form a PMC called the Wonder, Beethoven, and Soulja Group

cuz they're blind, deaf, and dumb as gently caress

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

GD_American posted:

I'm surprised none of these George Will-rear end chickenhawks have tried flogging a 21st century Lafayette Escarille

In the past few days there was a popular military twitterer arguing for American pmcs going in with patriots, m1s, and f-16s in the spirit of the flying tigers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PCjr sidecar posted:

In the past few days there was a popular military twitterer arguing for American pmcs going in with patriots, m1s, and f-16s in the spirit of the flying tigers.

Strike Commander was only off by two decades or so.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:wtc:
Ukrainian soldier calling dead Russians cell and for lack of a better word, trolling his family on video. The 21st Century is weird.
code:
https://twitter.com/dehqansaber/status/1513960746492866568?s=21&t=wOuB8Kew0BvFKVNsj7qxWg
:nms:

Is this a war crime or just an army reg violation? I mean he is harassing a soldiers family. I mean this is besides the fact it’s extremely distasteful at best and disturbing at worst.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
There were videos going around in 2014 2015 of the Russians doing the same thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Marshal Prolapse posted:

:wtc:
Ukrainian soldier calling dead Russians cell and for lack of a better word, trolling his family on video. The 21st Century is weird.
code:
https://twitter.com/dehqansaber/status/1513960746492866568?s=21&t=wOuB8Kew0BvFKVNsj7qxWg
:nms:

Is this a war crime or just an army reg violation? I mean he is harassing a soldiers family. I mean this is besides the fact it’s extremely distasteful at best and disturbing at worst.

Whatever. It’s lame but it doesn’t add up to poo poo. Pestering the family of an invading genocidal army doesn’t amount to poo poo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Syrian Lannister posted:

There were videos going around in 2014 2015 of the Russians doing the same thing.

"Russians did it too" is not exactly a great standard.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Not saying it's right, or agreeing with it, just that there was past precedence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I LEARNED IT FROM YOU, OK TOVARISCH? I LEARNED IT FROM YOU!