Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

bell jar posted:

recoome swinging for the fences with the "unions are poo poo at campaigning politically" take

not what i was really going for but (and this is from my own personal experience as a union member) it was definitely cool when we were being underpaid and hosed around as casual employees at a university and the NTEU literally went "lol, you're on your own kiddo" and made a great song and dance about how a stack of permanent members got a super increase at the expense of throwing casuals under the bus.

Amazingly all the NTEU members in my faculty either were made redundant, got out of academia or have since moved overseas so i guess it was definitely worth it. As is public knowledge, universities are definitely great places to work right now, especially regarding pay and job security!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Recoome posted:

not what i was really going for but (and this is from my own personal experience as a union member) it was definitely cool when we were being underpaid and hosed around as casual employees at a university and the NTEU literally went "lol, you're on your own kiddo" and made a great song and dance about how a stack of permanent members got a super increase at the expense of throwing casuals under the bus.

Amazingly all the NTEU members in my faculty either were made redundant, got out of academia or have since moved overseas so i guess it was definitely worth it. As is public knowledge, universities are definitely great places to work right now, especially regarding pay and job security!

The nteu sounds hosed. Didn't they spend all their time looking after tenured and permanent employees and tell all the casuals to piss off or something on another occasion too? Who could have seen this being the outcome?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

The nteu sounds hosed. Didn't they spend all their time looking after tenured and permanent employees and tell all the casuals to piss off or something? Who could have seen this being the outcome?

Yeah, and it was a great play by university management too because the pool of permanent and tenured staff was, in real terms, diminishing so you ended up getting the NTEU on board with eroding workers rights until it was way too late and the NTEU nationally couldn't pivot fast enough, and it never real fed down into the local branch level by the time I left.

I really hope that one day we have really strong unions again, you do see (as an outsider) some good advocacy coming from some of the nurses, teachers, and transport unions but I think we've all suffered from the sustained union-busting from government at different levels.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

also some professional associations are loving shite at advocating for their members. the association for psychologists can't articulate a coherent point in 100 words or less, and it really shows

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

The nteu sounds hosed. Didn't they spend all their time looking after tenured and permanent employees and tell all the casuals to piss off or something on another occasion too? Who could have seen this being the outcome?

Current EBA being negotiated at my University has the NTEU calling for a pathway for casuals into permanent part-time and full-time positions.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Recoome posted:

I really hope that one day we have really strong unions again, you do see (as an outsider) some good advocacy coming from some of the nurses, teachers, and transport unions but I think we've all suffered from the sustained union-busting from government at different levels.

Asking the thread in general: does anyone know which is the better union option for nurses - HACSU or ANMF? Or if there's a third option...

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Current EBA being negotiated at my University has the NTEU calling for a pathway for casuals into permanent part-time and full-time positions.

yeah and this is what they were shooting for with the super increase for casuals and promptly dropped it for an "ah well, we tried" moment. I'll believe there's proper advocacy for casuals when I see it.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Voter who interrupted Anthony Albanese's press conference demands apology after ‘deeply offensive’ comments

A voter who interrupted one of Opposition leader Anthony Albanese’s press conferences in Perth last week has demanded the Labor leader apologise for his comments following the incident.

Speaking exclusively to Sky News Australia’s The Kenny Report host Chris Kenny, Mr Bernard revealed he had no connection to the truck which was organised by the political lobby group Advance Australia.

“I had no connection with Advance Australia, I didn’t know the truck, I didn’t know the truck driver, just zero connection,” he said.

Mr Bernard claimed he was not tied to any political party and has voted for both major parties as much as each other adding that the comments from the would-be prime minister called for an apology.

“It was deeply offensive to me, just deeply offensive and subsequently I found it really disturbing that a man who presents himself as a leader for Australia when something even slightly tough comes up just makes up a story and throws the people under the bus,” he said.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's chattering classes level poo poo / media desperately trying to convince itself it's relevant that barely anyone is listening to anymore. Albo's "gaffe" aint changing anyone's minds.

No, the singular "gaffe" itself might not change anything in particular.

But the way that said gaffe allowed an easy way to change the narrative, (see the Waleed Aly "speaks of incompetence" thing), to a way that suits Morrisson and his "Don't trust Labor" spin might.

Also one gaffe generally is nothing, but then said gaffe gets turned into a battering ram by constant repetition and the hammering of a favoured narrative as said in the paragraph before.

So yeah, the Libs are awful and Morrisson is an incompetent oval office, but I fear this could snowball into something very ugly. Of course given how bad/stupid ScoMo is, he may well say/do something stupid that will get the press's eye. Or given the goldfish memory of the Press/public it could blow over.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

You people are nuts if you think the common punter gives a poo poo about this.

Nobody is listening to the media or Scomo, they've switched off.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Rob_Stott/status/1514048612057370626?t=FhSkVgC3ejSZEkMvO1Btyg&s=19

Surely we can do more than taking their teeth? Perhaps an arm as well?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Pleasant Friend posted:

100% this

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Pleasant Friend posted:

It filters through. Liberals are onto something now, they are going to ride it into Government. The good news is Labor is throwing the poors and other.minorities under the bus to save face, so there's still hope for the middle class politically disconnected and bankrupt to throw a few angry with the government votes their way.

Really shits me when I vote greens and preference Labor as they drift further away from my preferred policies, but the media is to blame.

The end of May cannot come fast enough

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

It filters through. Liberals are onto something now, they are going to ride it into Government. The good news is Labor is throwing the poors and other.minorities under the bus to save face, so there's still hope for the middle class politically disconnected and bankrupt to throw a few angry with the government votes their way.

Really shits me when I vote greens and preference Labor as they drift further away from my preferred policies, but the media is to blame.

The end of May cannot come fast enough

It would be nice to be able to exhaust House of Reps preferences as well as in the Senate if for whatever reason you didn't want to preference one or more parties at all.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Change the Rules was a poo poo campaign because it's target audience were union members or prospective union members, none of who needed convincing to preference Labor.

This time around they're kinda hosed because Labor have no policies to get behind, so it's scomo in a Hawaiian shirt.

If Labor weren't complete cowards they might have something else to work with idk. It probably still wouldn't matter because liberal and swing voters probably don't follow AustralianUnions on twitter.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

SuddenCactus posted:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Stott/status/1514048612057370626?t=FhSkVgC3ejSZEkMvO1Btyg&s=19

Surely we can do more than taking their teeth? Perhaps an arm as well?

Gina Rinehart couldn't afford my chompers. I have teeth strong enough to eat other teeth,.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Labor have no policies to get behind,

https://www.alp.org.au/we-stand-for/policies-and-commitments/

HTH

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
industrial relations is one area where labor are only mediocre instead of total poo poo and at least have vague commitments (real wages growth, full employment, stopping wage theft, reversing casualisation of the work force) that they haven't totally abandoned yet so there is at least something for the unions to campaign on there

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1514071904369659904

also lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

woofbro posted:

Also, what’s the go with Scott Morrison having drinks with gallery journalists, is this normal?

probably lol poo poo sucks

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lmao the AEC is loving toothless literally nothing will happen

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It feels like Australia is slipping into some sort of one party state where the suppression from the media will always be enough to keep Labor away from office.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
If Labor loses this election, what's the take away? Can't win election with policies, can't win election without policies. Just dissolve the Labor party?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Konomex posted:

If Labor loses this election, what's the take away? Can't win election with policies, can't win election without policies. Just dissolve the Labor party?

2019 was a narrow loss and they could've communicated their position a little better

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

lih posted:

yeah it's just a weird goofy form of it that feels like it could be a lot more effective idk

hanson announced that george christensen is running for the senate as third candidate on the one nation ticket in qld so it's not at all a serious attempt and is obviously just so he can get the $100k "resettlement allowance" that mps are entitled to if they are disendorsed (for reasons other than misconduct) or lose re-election (even if they run for a different seat or the other house of parliament)

WHAT

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

No, the singular "gaffe" itself might not change anything in particular.

But the way that said gaffe allowed an easy way to change the narrative, (see the Waleed Aly "speaks of incompetence" thing), to a way that suits Morrisson and his "Don't trust Labor" spin might.

It changes the narrative because the people presenting the narrative are screaming "it changes the narrative".

It's a stupid mistake and a bad look to be sure but speaks nothing about his ability to govern and speaks a lot about media in this country that it was more than a 30 second clip and a one day story.

The travelling press pack are the laziest loving bunch of partisan hacks and overpaid stenographers and that's just the way the parties like it.

Members of the press manufacturing "gotcha moments" are inserting themselves into the story and it shouldn't be called journalism.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Recoome posted:

lmao the AEC is loving toothless literally nothing will happen

Last election the libs put up fake AEC posters and the AEC were just like “lol no problem here” so yeah

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

probably lol poo poo sucks

Yeah todays been insufferable seeing journo after journo say “here’s my take, functions with politicians and journos is fine” without one actually addressing what the gatecrashed bought up - climate change and disaster relief - which could have been asked by a journo in the first place.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Gaffe gate!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

It feels like Australia is slipping into some sort of one party state where the suppression from the media will always be enough to keep Labor away from office.

you might not like labors strategy of sitting quietly in the corner until the liberals get so fat and blatant they fall over by themselves but you have to admit it gets results

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
https://twitter.com/Paul_Karp/status/1514084738444582916

:sparkles:

Pretty solid address overall.

lih
May 15, 2013

it's a real rort

christensen previously was trying to get the LNP to formally disendorse him last year after he'd already announced his retirement so he could get it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pleasant Friend posted:

Three million people watched free to air news on Monday night.

E: not including regional

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

His full answer to that question is here:

https://twitter.com/SimonBarnhill/status/1514090504392425477

And yeah good answer from one of the few aussie politicians I have any respect for.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

being a politician is hard okay, they need that money to wipe away the tears

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

it's not suppression from the media keeping Labor from office -- it's Labor doing that

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bell jar posted:

it's not suppression from the media keeping Labor from office -- it's Labor doing that

Ah I'd say little of column a little of column b. Or cures on both their houses.

Which eves

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
not voting for the guy with the lisp is ableist is my hot take that will unify twitter against labor

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

bell jar posted:

Yeah sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Anidav posted:

if labor really does lose & they didn't actively throw it with something like, an unbelievably stupid policy announcement, & there wasn't some major polling error that makes it apparent that labor never had the sort of lead it seems like they currently do, then we can have this level of doomerism but not yet

as bad as the media & political situation are here they really don't seem to be at the level of the uk yet