Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lloyd Folger is better for that Keyser Söze incredibly obviously fake name energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
chateau dankworth

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Maxwell Holmes

Clarste posted:

I originally had the name as Lloyd Folger until the company told me to knock it off. Although apparently a 'loid' is a way of opening locked doors and 'forger' can obviously refer to the fact that he's forged all his documents. So I've come around to the idea that his name is supposed to be Lockpick McFakename.

That's actually quite clever. I learned something today.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway the manga trope where characters are just straight up named after their archetype like in spy x family or in Komi-san makes me laugh even though I've seen it a billion times. Komi-san probably does it best since it reaches an ultimate level of laziness there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hitori Bocchi is good for that too

wah ha ha

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
ah, anyone named alice

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Loid Forger and Yor Briar are pro-tier Japanese Dude Tries to Invent Western-sounding Names names. I especially like Yor Briar because it reminds of one of the all-time great bad movies.

We'll need a lot more hemp before we're through

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Clarste posted:

I originally had the name as Lloyd Folger until the company told me to knock it off. Although apparently a 'loid' is a way of opening locked doors and 'forger' can obviously refer to the fact that he's forged all his documents. So I've come around to the idea that his name is supposed to be Lockpick McFakename.

The best part of waking up is Lloyd Folger spying through your cup

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

anyway the manga trope where characters are just straight up named after their archetype like in spy x family or in Komi-san makes me laugh even though I've seen it a billion times. Komi-san probably does it best since it reaches an ultimate level of laziness there.

puns

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

More animes should take notes from Tomino and whoever came up with the names for MSG 00. The world can always use a few more Bring Stabbity.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Japanese puns suck because even when it's supposed to sound like an English word the way it usually gets written out makes it impossible to decipher without translator notes lol.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is the valuable service that Ace Attorney provides

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Infected posted:

More animes should take notes from Tomino and whoever came up with the names for MSG 00. The world can always use a few more Bring Stabbity.

I wanna believe that Tomino is a Pynchon fan since his names have a lot of the same energy as Pynchon names.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Geli Tripping, for example, could either be a Tomino name or a Pynchon name.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like dunbine where characters names range from almost normal to, complete insanity regardless of nationality and some of the funniest ones dont even have the excuse of being actual fantasy names

todd guinness, allen brady and zet light are all meant to be generically american. marvel frozen and shot weapon, are from california though shot weapon also has ties to australia. jeryl coochibie is from dublin. the main character is a japanese guy named loving show zama. his official romanization is not shou. it is show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also will never get over the deuteragonist of l-gaim being a woman named Full Flat

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the author is a big Longmont head I guess.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
marvel frozen was in so1 too, huh. so was a character named welch vineyard

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i would not be surprised if star ocean stole marvel frozen from dunbine

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

also will never get over the deuteragonist of l-gaim being a woman named Full Flat

And her old flame, Amandra Kamandra.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

:hai:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Always thinking about Odie Asman.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since I brought up Pynchon in the context of anime I guess this weekend I gotta rewatch the only anime I am aware of that is directly inspired by Pynchon: Tamala 2010 - A Punk Cat in Space.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

the author is a big Longmont head I guess.

wanna read a manga written by Brett Bump

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Always thinking about Odie Asman.

Pees lub'n andistandin

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Colonel posted:

I've begun watching the show because of SRW and god, I don't know if any show is ever gonna bring me so much joy as the names in L-Gaim do every time, full stop

That it's actually a great watch is just a bonus, give me more of this 80s as hell poo poo in my veins

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
4th Vagina called and left a message, Elpizio.

"Ah, yes, Loid Forger... meet your orientation guide Lyar Poleigraff! "

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

4th Vagina called and left a message, Elpizio.

"Ah, yes, Loid Forger... meet your orientation guide Lyar Poleigraff! "

Waffleman_ posted:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

The Colonel posted:

i would not be surprised if star ocean stole marvel frozen from dunbine

it'd take valuable time away from ripping off star trek tho

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Japanese puns suck because even when it's supposed to sound like an English word the way it usually gets written out makes it impossible to decipher without translator notes lol.

I suspect you'd think differently if u were Japanese

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Lol at the SA forums being DDoSed in 2022.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This wouldn't be happening if adtrw had a mod

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Julias posted:

still got it bay-bee

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Julias posted:

if only endorph were here this wouldn't have happened

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Namtab posted:

The half dozen or so recommendations I have received have all turned it down because of various reasons, but the majority of them didn't want targets on their back.

I am still taking suggestions in my PMs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
wow, drat i wonder why that might be

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

its hard not to feel like you don't have a target on your back when you have a target on your back

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CubeTheory posted:

I just binged through all of Ranking of Kings. I was pretty positive on the show as a whole, I think the pacing got away from it a bit, but there are some real shining moments and characters. I hope they make more because it seems like they really set it up to lean into the elements that made it great going foward.

One of us! One of us!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Namtab posted:

Make me the mod. I already have no life or expectations for the future I would do excellently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

what could go wrong