Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The amount of hate Owen Jones gets is absurd for someone who is at most a soft left melt and will never actually abandon the Labour Party. He’s astute enough to raise the problems and so gets it hard from the libs, but too timid to do anything about it so he gets it from the left too. And obviously the right will call him a communist as they do anyone who doesn’t want to just kill all foreigners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

The amount of hate Owen Jones gets is absurd for someone who is at most a soft left melt and will never actually abandon the Labour Party. He’s astute enough to raise the problems and so gets it hard from the libs, but too timid to do anything about it so he gets it from the left too. And obviously the right will call him a communist as they do anyone who doesn’t want to just kill all foreigners.

Looks like Grace Blakeley is next in line to get it from both sides (err, so to speak). Which is a shame since she's always seemed fairly bang-on in her analysis from what I've seen

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/LabourDesign/status/1514197212967886850?s=20&t=Dn8Rou0ty5k5uSAqzKGf2w

Lots of fun could be had with this, I’m sure…

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

josh04 posted:

lol, the private eye piece on Owen Jones being referred to here is being wildly touted in his mentions by homophobic terfy types as a smoking gun that will put him away for good:

Not exactly the Nixon tapes, is it?

It's a odd one. You can agree or disagree with guardians internal findings (calling someone a terf is not bullying imo) , but their most well know journalist behind found guilty of bullying IS a weird thing to try and hide from staff.
I think it's worth PE running it though, and roll my eyes a little at the idea that PE criticising some cis white men who happen to be trans allies is proof of an anti-trans agenda by the private eye.

(maybe it is anti-trans, I haven't read it in ages, but this isn't evidence of that)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/JewishNewsUK/status/1513912020164358145
'i attended so many debauched, themed orgies during that period that i can't reasonably be expected to remember whether i dressed up as a nazi or not' is certainly a novel defence

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that the studious refusal to comment on the content of the articles he was responding to other than them being about "women's sex based rights" which is exactly what the terfs all claim to be very concerned about (except the actual sex based rights re: reproductive healthcare) certainly smacks rather heavily of them having an agenda.

For example I assume this is the "cruel" tweet:

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1422516337306443782

You can look up sarah ditum if you like and decide for yourself if she is a terf, personally she certainly seems like one!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 13, 2022

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

This is a fantastically bad idea.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
It's the one directly after it:
https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1422527649512103969?lang=en
Not exactly the most damning stuff in the world.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Unkempt posted:

This is a fantastically bad idea.

That's the finished product.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If anyone wants to read this doubtless spectacular article by ditum to see whether she seems like she's a crock of poo poo, and can bypass the times paywall, feel free!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-logic-of-trans-activism-leads-to-surreal-debate-but-the-grown-ups-are-fighting-back-ms9fxp7b3

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Many of the TERFs are so obviously spoilt that they think even the faintest disagreement with them is a violent attack. This goes for a lot of other groups too, of course.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And because I can't stop myself enthusing about old TV - it's another of those "Couldn't make it now" kinda shows not because of wokeness or some poo poo but because the figures of authority are the bad guys, and the prisoners regularly win small victories over them, and that just isn't allowed nowadays. It's odd just how much more authoritarian and status-quo-enforcing mass media has got since the 90s. It also perfected the alternative sitcom format a decade before people generally accepted it to have even started - this is a comedy about men in prison, not a suburban middle-class couple, and episodes like A Night In - which is literally the two main characters talking after lights out - are rightfully held up as genuine classics of acting and directing and completely subverting the norms of how sitcoms are supposed to be written and performed.

I don't see how Porridge is in any way something you "couldn't make now". Didn't they literally do a modern remake relatively recently that was surprisingly well received?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jollity Farm posted:

This goes for a lot of other groups too, of course.
When you're accustomed to privilege, being asked not to cough over all the produce can feel like oppression.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Porridge is never on Dave, it's on UKTV Gold.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/evilhornypingu/status/1514210492520321034

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't see how Porridge is in any way something you "couldn't make now". Didn't they literally do a modern remake relatively recently that was surprisingly well received?

I think the pilot was liked enough to get a series, but then that got trashed? Looks like the bbc cancelled it due to poor ratings.

Despite having the original writers it seemed much worse. Much like Green Green Grass is awful compared to even later Only Fools.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Graduates face 'eye-watering' 12% interest rate on student loans.

quote:

Students and graduates are facing an "eye-watering" 12% interest rate on their loans from September due to rising inflation, analysis has found.

The retail price index (RPI), a measure of inflation used to calculate interest on student loans in England and Wales, reached 9% in March.

Interest on loans taken out since 2012 is typically adjusted each September at the rate of RPI during the previous year - with up to three extra percentage points depending how much a graduate earns.

Graduates earning £27,295 or less will see their interest rates soar from the current 1.5% rate to 9%, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies.

The maximum interest rate - paid by those earning £49,130 or more - will increase from current rates of 4.5% to 12%.

Such graduates with a typical loan balance of about £50,000 would be left with an extra £3,000 in debt, the IFS said.

"Unless the government changes the way student loan interest is determined, there will be wild swings in the interest rate over the next three years," said Ben Waltmann, the IFS's senior research economist.

"The maximum rate will reach an eye-watering level of 12% between September 2022 and February 2023."

He said interest rates on student loans "should be low and stable, reflecting the government's own cost of borrowing".

"The government urgently needs to adjust the way the interest rate cap operates to avoid a significant spike in September," he added.

For students beginning degree courses from 2023, the rate will be fixed at a lower level in England, at just the rate of inflation.

Last week, the IFS said students who expect to earn more could save about £20,000 a year if they delay starting university until the interest rate changes kick in.

The decision was made as part of the largest changes to the student loan system since 2012.

The Treasury previously announced that students in England will be asked to repay their loans for up to 40 years from 2023 in England rather than the current 30-year period.

Any unpaid student loan balances after the repayment period ends are written off.

'This is a policy disaster'

The IFS warned that skyrocketing interest payments this autumn could put some students off going to university.

Jo Grady, general secretary of the UCU Union, said: "It simply cannot be right to saddle students with tens of thousands of pounds worth of debt and then subject them to the whims of volatile markets and rocketing interest rates."

"Today's news will leave those already repaying their student loans preparing twitfor increased debt payments during a cost-of-living crisis and force others to consider whether a university education is worth the cost at all.

"On any level, this is a policy disaster."

A Department for Education spokesperson said: "Monthly repayments for student loans are linked to income not to interest rates, or the amounts borrowed, and borrowers earning below the relevant repayment threshold make no repayments at all."

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1514256846642630656?s=21&t=-q9P6J-K9AzC9MAu7dAIpw

Lol despite the careful wording of the rest of the Private Eye article, that last sentence does explicitly say he’s been found guilty of bullying a colleague

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

JoylessJester posted:

I think the pilot was liked enough to get a series, but then that got trashed? Looks like the bbc cancelled it due to poor ratings.

Despite having the original writers it seemed much worse. Much like Green Green Grass is awful compared to even later Only Fools.

Well, I didn't watch it, but I remember people being pleasantly surprised by it. But yeah, maybe that was just the pilot. Still, it's obviously not something that "couldn't be made today" since it, well, was.

Anyway, turns out the Private Eye article was bullshit, quell surprise:

e: f;b

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Probably enough for a libel case then. Cos this has clearly damaged his reputation.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1514256846642630656?s=21&t=-q9P6J-K9AzC9MAu7dAIpw

Lol despite the careful wording of the rest of the Private Eye article, that last sentence does explicitly say he’s been found guilty of bullying a colleague
Please retweet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

Obviously a remake of a beloved show is a different kettle of fish from a brand new show - how many (mainstream) comedies now are even vaguely anti-authoritarian?

(Of course the complete death of the sitcom in the naughties makes this a bit of a trick question but I think my point still stands that you'd never be able to get on television - at least on the single digits of the EPG - with anything even as gently anti-cop as Porridge, let alone the Young Ones)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Spaced and Black Books were in the noughties though

I mean, the 90s side of it, but still

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I saw an episode of Plebs on ITV2 just last night.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dead Goon posted:

Porridge is never on Dave, it's on UKTV Gold.

Not sure what channel it is on (Yesterday - maybe?) but I have seen it quite recently (like in the last few weeks) and I don't have UKTV Gold.

Ed: Yesterday:

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/porridge/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
TBH I brainfarted and thought that Dave *was* the channel formerly known as UK Gold - I remember they split it up into a few different channels a while ago and I don't normally watch any of the repeat channels cos I've normally got anything I want to see on them downloaded already.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dave was UKTV Gold 2, iirc, and whoever proposed that change is probably still eating out off it.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

josh04 posted:

I saw an episode of Plebs on ITV2 just last night.

Plebs was made for ITV2, by which I mean it was commissioned for that channel, not that it's a good fit. There's supposed to be a special episode to finish it off, dunno the status of that.

It's Lipman-adjacent but that's ignorable, and Tom Rosenthal is a good lad (I loving HOPE, taking a flyer here).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH I brainfarted and thought that Dave *was* the channel formerly known as UK Gold - I remember they split it up into a few different channels a while ago and I don't normally watch any of the repeat channels cos I've normally got anything I want to see on them downloaded already.

UKTV Gold is a pay channel and still exists. I don't have any pay channels.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

kecske posted:

Graduates face 'eye-watering' 12% interest rate on student loans.

quote:

Interest on loans taken out since 2012 is typically adjusted each September at the rate of RPI during the previous year - with up to three extra percentage points depending how much a graduate earns.

Just amazing. Of all the things to tie to inflation.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/DXWQC/status/1514280176636633090
The PM and the Chancellor broke the law, so the Justice Minister resigns. The system works!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
any Tory jumping ship over this today and not months ago doesn't give a poo poo that they broke the law, they only give a poo poo that people know they broke the law

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Boris uses his cabinet as ablative armor.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
we can't let the russians win

https://twitter.com/IonaPaton/status/1513915886951972877

e: also yeah the private eye has been Very Sus about trans people for a while

Angepain fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 13, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't hold with private eyes, eyes should be nationalized.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
In a time of uncertainty and the potential of major war in Europe I know I want to keep Boris in charge. A serious and courageous man, the man of the moment.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

It's a odd one. You can agree or disagree with guardians internal findings (calling someone a terf is not bullying imo) , but their most well know journalist behind found guilty of bullying IS a weird thing to try and hide from staff.
I think it's worth PE running it though, and roll my eyes a little at the idea that PE criticising some cis white men who happen to be trans allies is proof of an anti-trans agenda by the private eye.

(maybe it is anti-trans, I haven't read it in ages, but this isn't evidence of that)

shut the gently caress up

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Obviously a remake of a beloved show is a different kettle of fish from a brand new show - how many (mainstream) comedies now are even vaguely anti-authoritarian?

(Of course the complete death of the sitcom in the naughties makes this a bit of a trick question but I think my point still stands that you'd never be able to get on television - at least on the single digits of the EPG - with anything even as gently anti-cop as Porridge, let alone the Young Ones)

I had assumed we were talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmark_Sitcom_Season mostly, which took a whole bunch of old sitcoms and did a one-off 'where are they 25 years later' episode for each. The Goodnight Sweetheart one was quite good if I recall.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmegin posted:

I had assumed we were talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmark_Sitcom_Season mostly, which took a whole bunch of old sitcoms and did a one-off 'where are they 25 years later' episode for each. The Goodnight Sweetheart one was quite good if I recall.

I'd never heard of that... but there were only five of them and one was that much beloved old classic Mrs Brown's Boys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hadn't realised that Nick Griffin had popped back up writing for Sputnik

https://twitter.com/MaximEdwards/status/1514293385267642368