Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Sympathetic to the NYT's core audience of affluent and highly-educated centrist-liberals, I mean.

The typical Trump Safari article goes to a 99%-white town far from a city to interview random older blue-collar workers and retired blue-collar workers, playing into the typical "wealthy Northeastern liberal" idea that most conservatives are just uneducated white rednecks.

By contrast, this article selected a majority-minority grouping composed almost entirely of white-collar jobs, many of which require a college degree. That's a grouping that appeals a lot more to the sensibilities of the NYT's traditional audience.

And frankly speaking, I don't trust the motives of the NYT Opinion team, and that includes Deputy Opinion Editor Patrick Hawley, author of articles like A Republican Leader's Idea For Our Supply Chain Crisis (which is just a multi-paragraph lineup of excuses for letting Josh Hawley write an article for the Opinion section) or How Conservatives Think About George Floyd’s Death and BLM. The guy loves focus groups, certainly, but a newspaper's Opinion section running focus groups just to print transcripts as Opinion pieces raises some concerns about the methodology.

Fair enough, but I lol'd bc Healy was the dude who butted in on Luntz's focus group for the NYT a couple months ago & challenged the participants' answers:

Willa Rogers posted:

I would add that Healy's questions seemed a little waaay more leading than Luntz's, and that bit at the end I quoted below is just totally out of bounds.

quote:

Patrick Healy: Let me get a show of hands. Are you confident that President Biden and his team can get Covid under control during his term in office?

Patrick Healy: A show of hands — are you confident that President Biden and the Democrats have a plan to improve the economy, to deal with inflation?

Patrick Healy: I’m curious what you think is fair to hold Biden responsible for?

Patrick Healy: Can I hear from someone who voted for Biden in 2020 who does not want him to run again, why that is?

Patrick Healy: The anniversary of Jan. 6 was pretty recent. How concerned are you that in the next presidential election there will be some kind of attempt to undermine the election, to change the outcome of the election, violence, or are you not concerned about that?

Julia: I want to ask if anyone knows — we know that Biden is just a puppet. Who is pulling the strings? I would like to know.

Patrick Healy: Julia, I don’t think — I don’t think that’s true. And it’s not just my opinion. I don’t believe that he’s a puppet. He’s a —

Julia: Who is pulling the string?

Patrick Healy: He was elected fair and square in 2020. So he’s the president.

Now, to most dnd'ers, Healy's questions--and even his answers to Julia--seem like cold, objective truths. Yet having the Opinion editor of the NYT state his convictions while trying to suss out voters' feelings & motives flies in the face of every principle for facilitating focus groups.

eta a f/u post bc it explains why I thought Healy was out of line:

Willa Rogers posted:

No, the way Luntz phrased it was correct: He was offering a choice between dualities, without implying that either choice was pejorative, or leading to an expected answer.

eta to explain further, since this used to be my jam:

When Healy asks if participants are "confident that President Biden" can do something, he's (however subconsciously) directing the response to be affirmative. Luntz, otoh, likely would ask something more neutral like "Are you confident or not confident that Pres. Biden" can do something, without placing a value judgment based on the expected response.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Note Block posted:

I think I speak for everyone who's lived in/is from NYC when I say "lol there are supposed to be working cameras on the trains?"

Can you as a local explain why that is?

Because I know when I go back into work on thursday I m gonna be hearing alot of "the camera's werent working because its a false flag by the child blood drinking antichrist pedo lizard people from outerspace"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ups_rail posted:

A lot of New York City train stations are not really well maintained outside of the tracks and turnstiles. There are indeed nice stations that more closely match what you would find in Europe, but mostly in Manhattan and in service of tourists/wealthy people.

EDIT: Sunset Park is a very residential area that is mostly Asian and Latino depending on which part of it you go to. Like most of Brooklyn, it's not the rich hipsters a lot of people imagine, and a lot of train stations that service longterm outer-borough residents are often the least cared for.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 13, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

Because I know when I go back into work on thursday I m gonna be hearing alot of "the camera's werent working because its a false flag by the child blood drinking antichrist pedo lizard people from outerspace"

Just say "Why would a Dem mayor pay for cameras?" to calm them down.

And yeah, the subway system is both a critical piece of infrastructure and incredibly neglected.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Ups_rail posted:

Sure! I'm not a local anymore but I lived there for 10 years and my fiancé is born and raised in Queens.

We don't expect trains to have cameras because a majority of them are still the older model. In the last decade there was a big push to upgrade many trains but of course the uh, more gentrified train lines got the upgraded newer train cars first. There was not a lot of media attention on if these cars had cameras, and whenever there is an incident, the mention of cameras seems to always be absent, so many of us assume the cars do not have cameras at all. I would need to do some heavy research on this, so it's just a "feeling" shared among my local friends I've talked to. Looking at the footage, this was one of the older cars. You can tell based on the line patterns on the side of the train cars, the windows, and the doors. This was an old orange/red seats train car and not a newer blue seats train car. Sorry if that's not very technical!

We do expect the stations to have cameras but well, no one is really surprised the station cameras weren't working. Like Timeless Appeal just mentioned, this is a station in Sunset Park, which is not very white, on a train line that's not very white.

Anyone else remember back in like 2005 when there was a SURPLUS of funds for the MTA? Remember the strike over it? It's comical how inept the governance around the MTA can be. Did you know the governor controls the authority of the MTA, not the mayor? SIGH.

edit: spelling

sorry, a second edit: I went back and read the article linked (took me a bit, thanks awful nytimes paywall!) and it doesn't mention train cameras anywhere. I'm pretty sure those older model trains just flat out don't have them. In fact, I went and did some googling and they outright cancelled the latest round camera tests they had going on after it turned it out the supplier had links to the Chinese government. https://jalopnik.com/nyc-ends-subway-camera-test-after-learning-of-suppliers-1846751771 Everything else I can see through searching indicates there's no cameras on the trains, including the newer models. The last article I can find where there was a plan to do this was in 2014 by a couple sources, including this one. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2014/07/05/nyc-weighs-putting-surveillance-cameras-on-subways/11536763/ So, effectively, it's safe to say the train cars themselves don't have cameras, especially the older models.

Note Block fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 13, 2022

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
A mass shooting in the US seems to be our "normal", along with shoveling money to police and poorly maintained infrastructure too. What question is being raised? All seems rather business as usual to me.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

They've identified a person of interest in the subway shooting.

quote:

Frank R. James was identified by New York police as the person of interest in the mass shooting inside a Brooklyn subway train during which a green construction-vest clad gunman carrying a .9mm caliber handgun shot 10 people during rush hour. It was a chaotic scene that left bloodied victims lying on the subway platform, but, miraculously, all are expected to live.

Frank James has ties to Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, police confirmed. According to police, 13 other people suffered a variety of non gunfire-related injuries. James’ social media accounts indicate he lived in Milwaukee.

It’s not yet clear whether James, 62, is the shooter. Authorities have tied him to a U-Haul they believe is tied to the shooter. Frank James rented the U-Haul, they said in a news conference. The key to it was left at the shooting scene. Police are seeking James.

eta: according to the video linked from the story he had quite the grudge against Adams.

etaa: yeah, don't watch that; it's psychic damage.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 13, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
" ties to Wisconsin and Pennsylvania"

Thats a weird sentence and I'm not sure what the gently caress its even trying to imply. Its like a "POI breaths oxygen , drinks water and does other common life essential behaviors."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

false flag implies a lot more intentionality than the most common you know in question. there's a fairly common strand you see in poo poo like this, most prominent recent examples being Dzhokar Tsarnaev and whoever the guy who went on a shooting spree with a duffel bag full of cash up in Canada was, where someone has been cultivated as a source by law enforcement and as a result response is not just slow, initial responders are told "shut the gently caress up, you want to get us into trouble again?"

law enforcement's habit of using unhinged vigilantes as proxies bites it in the rear end a lot, and hearing this guy was wearing some dumbass high-vis uniform? as long as we're still just vomiting uninformed theories into the void, seems sensible as any.

The kind of people they call 'armed friendlies' during protests.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PhazonLink posted:

Thats a weird sentence and I'm not sure what the gently caress its even trying to imply. Its like a "POI breaths oxygen , drinks water and does other common life essential behaviors."

Known criminal rabble rouser states, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. That flag got two stars that shouldn't be there! :argh:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

I think they mean he has family/friends/housing/employment there so mainly stays in those states. That's just making guesses though, but yeah, what ever they're trying to say those chose a poo poo way of making it clear.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PhazonLink posted:

It says in the Heavy article that he lives in Milwaukee and drove to New York recently.

They think he might have rented the U-Haul the Pennsylvania.

Also, apparently everything went wrong for everyone in this shooting. The cameras were broken, the shooter had two loaded extended magazines with 30 bullets each and apparently shot 33 times, but his gun jammed and he ran away after it jammed, he dropped his keys when he was running away, and only 2 of his 6 smoke bombs detonated.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I didn't see this posted today.

https://twitter.com/billybinion/status/1513995427669897218

The judicial branch of the government is so broken that it is very difficult to fathom. Kafka would be jealous and horrified.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The judicial branch of the government is so broken that it is very difficult to fathom. Kafka would be jealous and horrified.

It's not even the judicial branch entirely or specifically. Local government, especially in out of the way places with little to no official, public, or media oversight operate basically on the promise that someone will tattle if people are doing things wrong. And if you get a group in there that doesn't tattle on each other, then you can do whatever you want for years before getting caught.

See: Every major city council/town hall/local sheriff corruption scandal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It shouldn't be posted today, because it's a story from more than a year ago.

Always look for an alternate source when you see something covered in Reason...and consider how the author's account was crossing your feed in the first place.

edit: ah, it's doing promo for a follow-on IFJ suit. That's where all this is coming from.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 13, 2022

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

quote:

.9mm caliber handgun

What is this? A handgun for ANTS???

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kathy Hochul claims another head.

(This was a federal charge, he was doing it before Hochul became Governor, and Hochul had nothing to do with it. But, it is wild that Hochul was picked by Cuomo as a way to shore up his upstate creds and have a woman on the ticket who didn't have plans to be Governor soon. And now, Hochul was involved in throwing Cuomo out, all of her biggest primary competitors ended up dropping out or having something happen to them, and now the Lt. Gov who wasn't her preferred option is gone and she can appoint someone that she wants right before running for re-election.)

Hochul is basically having a House of Cards style improbable rise to the top. I'm pretty sure that she didn't expose Cuomo, threaten Leticia Wright's family, sabotage Bill DeBlasio's campaign, blackmail Andrea Stewart-Cousins, and narc on Brian Benjamin to the Feds as part of an 8-year long master plan. But, I can't prove that she didn't either.

https://twitter.com/JonCampbellNY/status/1513989326278991877

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Seems like the Biden administration has come up with some new messaging on inflation.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1513989086947721221

I'm not shocked they tried to pin the blame on Russia, but the phrase "Putin Price Hike" is gonna get old so fast, and I seriously doubt that any of the people getting hit by inflation cares whose fault the price rises are anyway.

I guess it's a good chance to see how much reach the Dem messaging machine these days, since "Putin Price Hike" is so obviously trying to force a narrative.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Follow up to yesterday's chatter about CPI peaking in March. Today's PPI numbers would indicate that is a false narrative.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

Seems like the Biden administration has come up with some new messaging on inflation.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1513989086947721221

I'm not shocked they tried to pin the blame on Russia, but the phrase "Putin Price Hike" is gonna get old so fast, and I seriously doubt that any of the people getting hit by inflation cares whose fault the price rises are anyway.

I guess it's a good chance to see how much reach the Dem messaging machine these days, since "Putin Price Hike" is so obviously trying to force a narrative.

Putin is the #1 person Americans hold responsible for gas price hikes. So, they are either basing their messaging on that or their messaging has been wildly effective.

quote:

Most Americans blame Putin and oil companies for higher gas prices, poll indicates

A significant majority of Americans blame Russian President Vladimir Putin for the recent spike in America’s gas prices, but almost as many blame oil companies, according a new ABC News/Ipsos poll released Sunday.

In asked about the sizable increase in fuel prices in 2022, more than two-thirds of those polled blamed Putin — 71 percent — and oil companies — 68 percent — either a “great deal” or a “good amount.”

They're not totally wrong, but the correct answer of "global supply chain issues and rapidly rising demand" apparently wasn't an answer.

51% also think that "Democratic policies" on spending and energy have contributed too.

I would be interested in seeing what would happen if you asked the people who blame Democratic opposition to oil pipelines and coal/runaway spending policies what their explanation is for why the entire world started experiencing rising costs of gas at the exact same time.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/10/gas-prices-inflation-putin-biden-00024289

Also, the "person of interest" in the NYC subway shooting is now officially the suspect.

https://twitter.com/NYPDnews/status/1514229672518762499

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 13, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Here's the breakdown of the answer in that ABC poll about voters & Pooty-Poot's Price Pop; looks like they were able to slap I DID THAT stickers on more than one reason for price hikes, and oil companies took the heat too:

The OG I DID THAT stickers with Old Joe have been circulating for six months now, so I'm not sure of the sudden efficacy of switching the face on them.

Mr Hootington posted:

Follow up to yesterday's chatter about CPI peaking in March. Today's PPI numbers would indicate that is a false narrative.

Go on...

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 13, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve seen concern that we still aren’t feeling the effects of China locking down and that it’s going to just make everything worse soon

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1514236069033693194?s=21&t=oXRLZOCB8npWFA2RLSLKqQ

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The CPI is the consumer price index which measures what the consumer pays. The PPI is the producer price index which measures what the producers of consumer goods are paying. So the PPI is considered a leading indicator for CPI because the producer will pass on price increases to the consumer.

Luckily in March the ppi print was a big miss upwards. Here are the numbers and charts I enjoy.
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1514220109803446280?t=L477yxYfVQlWtG2ArWsNvg&s=19
https://twitter.com/DoombergT/status/1514222477957869572?t=ZrKUD4Lf4nXIyYDgl-AUgA&s=19
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1514222186051121152?t=vHXx-XhPgb33FxLscWLTWA&s=19
Here is Rick santelli getting excited about those numbers.
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1514220861099757583?t=yy9P98mBAfoWsdGln66mdg&s=19

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Air Force is now literally airlifting people with trans kids out of Texas, Florida, and Mississippi.

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1514233575549411328

quote:

Air Force Offers Help To Military Families Hurt By States' New Anti-LGBTQ Laws

In an unusual move, the U.S. military service is offering medical and legal aid to affected personnel — or a way to leave those states entirely.

In an incredibly unusual move, the Air Force is making a point to let its hundreds of thousands of personnel know that it will provide families with medical and legal help if they are personally affected by new state laws attacking gay and transgender children.

And if those service members feel they need to leave those states entirely, for the sake of their kids’ mental or physical health, the Air Force will help them to do that, too.

The Air Force is the only branch of the U.S. military doing this. Its leaders informed personnel late last month, both internally and in a press release, that they have several resources available to them if they need help navigating anti-LGBTQ state laws that may be hurting their families.

Specifically, Air Force leadership is telling service members that military medical facilities are available to provide mental health support to them or their children if they need it in the wake of new laws in states like Florida, where schools are banned from talking about gender identity or sexual orientation, or Texas, where the governor is ordering state officials to investigate parents of transgender children for child abuse.

They’re also telling service members that military legal personnel are available to provide free counsel to families trying to understand their legal protections in states targeting gay and transgender kids.

The largest Air Force base in the world happens to be in Florida, too: Eglin Air Force Base.

“The health, care and resilience of our [Air Force] personnel and their families is not just our top priority — it’s essential to our ability to accomplish the mission,” Air Force Undersecretary Gina Ortiz Jones said in a statement. “We are closely tracking state laws and legislation to ensure we prepare for and mitigate effects to our Airmen, Guardians and their families. Medical, legal resources, and various assistance are available for those who need them.”

Air Force leadership is also telling personnel that they can lean on an existing program, the Exceptional Family Member Program, if they need to be reassigned to a different state with a safer environment for their family or LGBTQ child. This kind of transfer could apply, for example, to an Air Force member who is stationed in Texas and raising a transgender child who needs gender-affirming treatment like hormone therapy.

“As is the case with all of our family members, if the support a family member needs becomes unavailable, commanders can work to get the service member to an assignment where their loved ones can receive the care they need,” Jones said.

It’s a surprisingly bold move by Air Force brass, despite the fact that it hasn’t gotten much press attention beyond Federal News Network flagging it late last month. As part of the federal government, the Air Force is prohibited from weighing in on state laws. But it’s clear that its leadership is concerned that the recent wave of anti-LGBTQ laws and directives could be hurting the health and well-being of Air Force families based in those areas.

“The Department of the Air Force is putting practical policy and compassion behind a matter of great concern to the administration. Family readiness is key to combat readiness,” retired Lt. Gen. Bruce Wright, president of the Air & Space Forces Association, told HuffPost in a statement. “Taking care of ALL Airmen, Guardians, and their families, whatever their challenges, is a core leadership principle and the department is demonstrating real and practical commitment here.”

The Air Force’s actions come as Republicans have settled on a political strategy of attacking gay and transgender kids ahead of the 2022 midterm elections. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott have been in the forefront of this ugly push ― both are likely 2024 presidential contenders ― but they’re not the only Republican leaders racing to pass laws making life even more difficult for LGBTQ youth.

At least a dozen states are now considering bills mirroring Florida’s law, dubbed by critics as its “Don’t Say Gay” law. Oklahoma, Arizona, Iowa and Utah this year passed laws banning transgender kids from participating in sports consistent with their gender identity.

Not to be outdone, Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey (R) on Friday signed a law making it a felony, with penalties of up to 10 years in prison, for parents and doctors to provide gender-affirming care like hormone treatments to transgender minors. Ivey also signed a law barring transgender children from using school bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity, and a law limiting classroom discussions on gender and sexual orientation.

“These discriminatory policies, bills and laws are causing real harm and distress to LGBTQ+ families,” said Human Rights Campaign spokesperson Delphine Luneau. “Like any good employer, the Air Force is taking steps to support their service members and their families.”

Luneau added, “We hope service members and their family members who are being affected by the wave of discriminatory legislation in many state legislatures will take advantage of the supportive services that the Air Force is offering, and HRC will continue working toward the repeal of these terrible laws.”

Most schools that operate on Air Force installations are part of local school districts, meaning they are governed by state laws, not federal laws. But other Air Force child and youth programs, like after-school sports teams, are not regulated by state authorities.

Air Force leaders have yet to receive any requests for legal assistance from personnel relating to the effects of these anti-LGBTQ laws, said Air Force spokesperson Laurel Tingley. They also don’t know if there’s been an uptick in the use of mental health services because they don’t track it.

For now, the Air Force’s focus is simply on letting personnel know that their employer has their backs if they need it, she said.

“The [Air Force] is being proactive about making sure our Airmen, Guardians and their families are aware of the help that’s available as they explore their options,” Tingley said.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Air Force is now literally airlifting people with trans kids out of Texas, Florida, and Mississippi.

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1514233575549411328

Maybe we should liberate Texas.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Liberate Texas from US military bases and the associated funding, maybe

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Maybe we should liberate Texas.

If only there was a collective group of people the president could call on to guard the nation against anti-human rights policies.

But I guess Biden’s hands are tied. Nothing to be done.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Legitimately shocked that the Air Force of all organizations is doing the right thing here.

But also, a branch of the military having to step in and protect its personnel from state laws is probably not a great sign.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ve seen concern that we still aren’t feeling the effects of China locking down and that it’s going to just make everything worse soon

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1514236069033693194?s=21&t=oXRLZOCB8npWFA2RLSLKqQ

Yes it should make things worse. Last I saw there was something like 500+ ships waiting in Shanghai. Europe is starting to backup again. Long term shipping freight contracts are also rising in price again which is not good.

The oil reserve release did give the Inventories a crude surplus, but surprise they did not ease the ongoing shortages of gasoline and diesel.
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1514249814363492356?t=I7l-rhrv-SkOQ37u18Xfpw&s=19

Frankly we have 2 ways forward to unfuck inflation. This is coincidentally one of the Feds mandates. One way is fixing the supply chains which the solution for keeps getting pushed back. I think it is summer 2023 has the current estimate for "return to normal". Plus the fed cant actually do anything about that.

The other way to fix inflation is something the fed can do which is "demand destruction". What is "demand destruction"? Well, "demand destruction" is when you cause the consumer to stop consuming so less goods are needed to be produced, less energy used, less leverage for employees to get higher pay. Now how can can you cause this to happen if you are the Fed? Recession. So the Federal Reserve has to cause a recession to stop inflation.

They claim they will do a "soft landing", but this is just weasel for "not as much value loss to the top."

Oh and inflation only really became a "problem" for the fed when it was discovered that wages were starting to rise in response. See it is ok when high inflation is happening because revenue and profits become all time highs which is good! When workers want higher pay because of the inflation this is bad! Luckily the increasing wages are being outpaced by the inflation which gives workers more incentive to demand higher wages which increases costs to the producer so they have to roll that to the consumer who need more money to pay for the goods so the consumer tells their boss they need higher wages. It is a spiral that needed to be avoided. It wasn't.

Anyway we are probably in a kinds stagflationary period at the moment. This was the worst possible outcome.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 13, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If only there was a collective group of people the president could call on to guard the nation against anti-human rights policies.

The A-Team?

Honestly the fact that the air force has a program to help those affected by regressive state laws is really surprising. Seems like the other branches should do the same until Texas stops electing terrible people.

Mr Hootington posted:

Anyway we are probably in a kinds stagflationary period at the moment. This was the worst possible outcome.

The 2020s feel very reminiscent of the 1970's

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 13, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The DOJ is already suing Texas and the HHS Office of Civil Rights says that Texas and Alabama are violating the law under Obamacare, which prohibits discrimination in medical care based on sex, and will sue anyone who tries to enforce them. HHS is also telling doctors to not abide by the new laws because they are illegal under federal law (which puts doctors in a weird spot because they are licensed by the state).

Texas is also suing the HHS because they threatened to withhold money over it.

https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/hhs-ocr-notice-and-guidance-gender-affirming-care.pdf

quote:

HHS Notice and Guidance on Gender Affirming Care, Civil Rights, and Patient Privacy

The Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) stands with transgender and gender nonconforming youth and their families—and the significant majority of expert medical associations—in unequivocally stating that gender affirming care for minors, when medically appropriate and necessary, improves their physical and mental health. Attempts to restrict, challenge, or falsely characterize this potentially lifesaving care as abuse is dangerous. Such attempts block parents from making critical health care decisions for their children, create a chilling effect on health care providers who are necessary to provide care for these youth, and ultimately negatively impact the health and well-being of transgender and gender nonconforming youth.

The HHS Office for Civil Rights (OCR) will continue working to ensure that transgender and gender nonconforming youth are able to access health care free from the burden of discrimination. HHS understands that many families and health care providers are facing fear and concerns about attempts to portray gender affirming care as abuse. To help these families and providers navigate those concerns, HHS is providing additional information on federal civil rights protections and federal health privacy laws that apply to gender affirming care. As a law enforcement agency, OCR is investigating and, where appropriate, enforcing Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act1 cases involving discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in accordance with all applicable law.

OCR enforces federal civil rights laws that prohibit discriminatory restrictions on access to health care. Among these laws is Section 1557, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, and disability in covered health programs or activities.

OCR also enforces Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act,2 which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. Section 1557 protects the right of individuals to access the health programs and activities of recipients of federal financial assistance without facing discrimination on the basis of sex, which includes discrimination on the basis of gender identity. Categorically refusing to provide treatment to an individual based on their gender identity is prohibited discrimination. Similarly, federally-funded covered entities restricting an individual’s ability to receive medically necessary care, including gender-affirming care, from their health care provider solely on the basis of their sex assigned at birth or gender identity likely violates Section 1557.

For example, if a parent and their child visit a doctor for a consultation regarding or to receive gender affirming care, and the doctor or other staff at the facility reports the parent to state authorities for seeking such care, that reporting may constitute violation of Section 1557 if the doctor or facility receives federal financial assistance. Restricting a health care provider’s ability to provide or prescribe such care may also violate Section 1557. Section 504 protects qualified individuals with disabilities from discrimination in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance. Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act 3 (ADA) protects qualified individuals with disabilities from discrimination in state and local government programs. Gender dysphoria may, in some cases, qualify as a disability under these laws. Restrictions that prevent otherwise qualified individuals from receiving medically necessary care on the basis of their gender dysphoria, gender dysphoria diagnosis, or perception of gender dysphoria may, therefore, also violate Section 504 and Title II of the ADA.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 13, 2022

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The DOJ is already suing Texas and the HHS Office of Civil Rights says that Texas and Alabama are violating the law under Obamacare, which prohibits discrimination in medical care based on sex, and will sue anyone who tries to enforce them. HHS is also telling doctors to not abide by the new laws because they are illegal under federal law (which puts doctors in a weird spot because they are licensed by the state).

Texas is also suing the HHS because they threatened to withhold money over it.

https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/hhs-ocr-notice-and-guidance-gender-affirming-care.pdf

The thing about suing and finger wagging is that it doesn't remove any of the guilty parties from power, and eventually they'll just start ignoring the requests, HHS funding be damned. When Republicans are back in power in 2 years, there won't be any mechanism to stop this. Worst case it goes to the conservative Supreme Court where they decide "actually we think that stealing trans kids is perfectly constitutional".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I guess I do want to see the other National Guards invade Texas.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess I do want to see the other National Guards invade Texas.

Imagine the ruling party actually using its power!

Unfortunately the same ruling party and their voters believe that would be tyrannical. Worse, it would offend the decorum pearl clutchers who may state they support human rights but in actuality are aligning themselves with the conservatives/fascists.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Unfortunately the same ruling party and their voters believe that would be tyrannical. Worse, it would offend the decorum pearl clutchers who may state they support human rights but in actuality are aligning themselves with the conservatives/fascists.

What's your plan here? To have the national guard arrest Texas lawmakers? To just spread out across the State to intercept wrongful police action?

There is lots of middle ground between being decorum poisoned and not wanting martial law.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

Legitimately shocked that the Air Force of all organizations is doing the right thing here.

But also, a branch of the military having to step in and protect its personnel from state laws is probably not a great sign.

Leadership matters. Biden is the Commander in Chief, and he's been very good on trans-issues. A Republican CiC would be behaving very differently, I suspect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I mean sure we could send the DC guard, but I mean a 49 (50 I guess?) v 1 would be what I really want to see.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

To be fair he s a busy man dealing with...*checks notes*....putin?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Sarcastr0 posted:

What's your plan here? To have the national guard arrest Texas lawmakers? To just spread out across the State to intercept wrongful police action?

There is lots of middle ground between being decorum poisoned and not wanting martial law.

Yes, and that middle ground is ineffectual actions like suing them and threatening to take away funding, otherwise known as treating the symptom. Liberals don't want to see fascists brought to justice, they want to see them temporarily inconvenienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Sarcastr0 posted:

Oh darn. If only we had precedence of similar events happening before:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/lbj-sends-federal-troops-to-alabama

https://www.history.com/news/little-rock-nine-brown-v-board-eisenhower-101-airborne

The active opposition to even a suggestion that the ruling party use its power signals to me a strong case that the Democrats and their allies are more willing to allow conservatives have their way. It appears to me that the decorum rules matter more than human rights.