Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Can't believe that despite everything Namtab turned down modship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Can't believe that despite everything Namtab turned down modship.

waiting for the pm

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
simply mod someone who already has a target on their back

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

congratulations, grouchio

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

a target of even what though, lol

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

a target of posts

its quite annoying

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A target of admin-approved harassment and doxxing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Namtab posted:

congratulations, grouchio

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

A target of admin-approved harassment and doxxing.

oh yeah i'm good at that front, i cannot be doxxed and the information would be useless anyway

good stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fluffdaddy posted:

The half dozen or so recommendations I have received have all turned it down because of various reasons, but the majority of them didn't want targets on their back.

I am still taking suggestions in my PMs.

I don't think Plutonis would turn it down, but lol if true.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if anyone suggests me they are a spy. i recommend against listening to their lies

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Welcome Baal, to their third round of Modship! Surely this time...

Honestly kind of funny people get asked and run away screaming. The power of the VTuber is strong.

VvV
True. I jest but VTube stuff is a natural Flashpoint for people that look at anime and think it's all weird rear end poo poo.

Honestly I think the main issue is trying to advocate for the forum and its user base and getting shut out wrt other administrators. Sounds like a complete and utter headache.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 14, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it may be more the power of moderating adtrw in 2022 with vtubers just being a focal point for the things keeping people away

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'll mid the forum who gives a gently caress

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I wonder why people don't want to be mods on Something Awful, the forum where:
- flaming is legal, allowing posting grudges to escalate until people are invoking each others' divorces
- in addition to your own subforum, there are 20 others, any one of which could launch an e-crusade and force you to put out the flamewar (that's right, Pet Island, I'm talking about you)
- every probe you make is exposed to gawking onlookers, guaranteeing at least one unhinged qcs thread per quarter
- permabans and forumbans can only be applied to people who have solemnly sworn never to make a good post
- a quarter of the userbase thinks mods are literally cops

It's like it was intentionally set up to be unmoderatable

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

- flaming is legal, allowing posting grudges to escalate until people are invoking each others' divorces
- in addition to your own subforum, there are 20 others, any one of which could launch an e-crusade and force you to put out the flamewar (that's right, Pet Island, I'm talking about you)
- every probe you make is exposed to gawking onlookers, guaranteeing at least one unhinged qcs thread per quarter
- permabans and forumbans can only be applied to people who have solemnly sworn never to make a good post

haha yeah i've been reading the summary of that lawsuit too

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Nyoro posted:

a target of even what though, lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elephant Parade posted:

I think they mostly don't want to be mods because the current crop is largely insane weirdos, and you have to play nice with that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I sent you this in confidence

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

There are also insane weirdos, who will target you. Lose lose situation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I assume most people don't want to be mods because it just sorta sounds like work.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’ll mop the forum

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I assume most people don't want to be mods because it just sorta sounds like work.

I have it on good authority that you die if you work.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Just make a separate vtuber subforum and make everyone posting in it a mod/IK so they can police themselves.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So this it what it's like when doves cry :cry:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Scrat finally got the acorn :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1514358487198928899?s=20&t=mhZsq5cxSlQ88S6poNFMrw

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Elephant Parade posted:

It’s less whatever this screed is and more the direct, observable evidence that it seems as though whoever is tasked with moderating adtrw will receive no support from the admins if people decide to start trolling and flaming in bulk.

People made a lot of posts in the mod feedback thread that I hope can serve as an explanation of why people are reluctant to accept the role.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

i think it may be more the power of moderating adtrw in 2022 with vtubers just being a focal point for the things keeping people away
the forums have had some interesting choices made lately

vtubers: burn to the ground

genocide denial: drives engagement, admin endorsed even

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Genocide owns

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Unless it’s happening to me

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the difference is that making insanely creepy posts about who's vtuber has the biggest tits or which one has the best looking feet is pretty much always going to attract a harsh response from everyone who isn't into that poo poo, and 'genocide denial' is a politics thing that means a hundred different things to just as many people. your horrific abuse of justice is some other rear end in a top hat's polite and sensible immigration policy. it becomes much harder to pick an objectively or at least majority-endorsed line to hold.

the problem with past ADTRW mods (besides the ones banned for being pedophiles) is that for some reason they decided it was easier to probate people making fun of and flaming people talking about how they wanted to suck on vtuber toes instead of taking the trash out themselves

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The problem is that the system doesn't let me Ignore people like Larry Parrish

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Larry Parrish posted:

the difference is that making insanely creepy posts about who's vtuber has the biggest tits or which one has the best looking feet is pretty much always going to attract a harsh response from everyone who isn't into that poo poo, and 'genocide denial' is a politics thing that means a hundred different things to just as many people. your horrific abuse of justice is some other rear end in a top hat's polite and sensible immigration policy. it becomes much harder to pick an objectively or at least majority-endorsed line to hold.

the problem with past ADTRW mods (besides the ones banned for being pedophiles) is that for some reason they decided it was easier to probate people making fun of and flaming people talking about how they wanted to suck on vtuber toes instead of taking the trash out themselves
your tendency to wildly exaggerate how bad something is is showing again. especially the last thread, there was like one guy who was super weird and got called out on it. the thread was eventually canned not because of it being some evil to be burned, but because the admins were just sick of the qcs throng throwing tantrums constantly

also, there was one pedophile mod, not multiple, and it was someone nobody in adtrw even wanted as a mod in the first place, being foisted upon the subforum by r guyovich

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Larry Parrish posted:

From what I understand previous mods were forced to moderate with one hand tied behind their back because they weren't allowed to ban anybody for shitposting and stirring poo poo in certain threads with certain posters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

the forums have had some interesting choices made lately

vtubers: burn to the ground

genocide denial: drives engagement, admin endorsed even

Haha yeah I definitely aim to keep up to date on SA mod/admin drama so this makes sense to me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kwyndig posted:

From what I understand previous mods were forced to moderate with one hand tied behind their back because they weren't allowed to ban anybody for shitposting and stirring poo poo in certain threads with certain posters.

there's a couple deeply stupid slap fights I've seen in old threads in this subforum but in modern history the only real evidence of this I have seen is someone making an incredibly embarsssing post, someone getting headshot for making fun of them, and then a bunch of people jumping in because they're understandably pissed about the wrong person being probated or w.e., so despite the fact I also think the admins are incredibly stupid I can understand them telling mods to cool off in that case, because they're right.

this kind of thing happens in imp zone all the time and while it's a tiny forum where everyone mostly gets along, its because people who make bad posts get probated, because it's a comedy forum and someone flaming is probably funnier than whatever the initial incident was anyway. if you probate the flamers then you give off the impression that the bad post was the correct kind of post to make and that more importantly the mod is the one who gets to pick what you talk about. the moderator is there to enforce rules and make probations, and if a forum has rules on what you can talk about the mods of it have fundamentally severely hosed up badly. either because they aren't doing their job or they're under the impression that they're mods because they're special boys who deserve to be important and not that they're the equivalent of the guy in charge of the list at a potluck.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 14, 2022

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Adtrw is a grey forum, imp zone is a fyadlite, relitigating tubers is ftl

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there are no fyadlites, just forums with fail mods. sometimes it's both fail mods and fail posters, though. anyway considering there's no mod adtrw is under imp zone rules now by definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

No there are fyadlites, they’re a thing that very specifically exist