Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Omnicarus posted:

I found the tutorial campaign far more enjoyable than the main campaign and I would've liked more campaign structures like that as opposed to the chaos realms campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has there ever been a case of a strategy game adding in multiple layers where the extra layers weren't really annoying to toggle between and keep track of?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
These endgame soulrace cinematics are so poo poo

"Good job Cathay, you defeated the bad demon. Oh your sister? The reason you did all this in the first place? Well she's not here, maybe she's somewhere else? Good luck!"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kanos posted:

I played tons of Vortex campaigns at TWW2 launch and had a fair bit of fun, especially once I figured out that you could just ignore the entire mechanic if you didn't want to deal with it.

At least with the new patch you can basically do that for the current campaign. Just ignore the chaos mechanics, chuck a protection building in every province you can't be arsed to defend and go krump some nerds.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I liked my Boris run in this game, even if the early game and getting used to WH3's new stuff took a while, but if I had chosen to start with Cathay instead...I definitely would've had a significantly warmer outlook on this game. Their roster, characters, and starting situation are so much more...I dunno, realized, I guess, than Kislev's.

That said, for all my dislike of how monolithic Kislev's early game is, I kinda had a realization: I feel like holes in the Kislev roster are meant to be filled by allied units. Think about it: Kislev starts very close to friendly nations in the form of Dwarfs and the Empire, and your biggest weakness is probably the lack of accessible and good artillery, which both the Empire and Dwarfs can solve. The myriad of issues with this, of course, is getting outposts up, hoping or having to actively make sure they don't get wrecked, and hoping the AI actually builds the recruitment buildings you want it to.

To put it into perspective, though: one of my favorite plays in the entirety of the Total War series was getting an outpost set up with Ungrim as Boris and then pairing my 4 Streltsy gunline with 4 Thunderers. This resulted in the coolest fuckin' gunline I've seen (yes, Streltsy can shoot over dwarf heads, this was even more impressive than a Skryre heavy weapons platoon) with Ice and Tempest magic support lighting up so many demons during the final battle; a level of synergy I couldn't even imagine in the older games. It was really, really cool seeing all those elements come together.

I imagine Kislev could really do with like, a starting outpost and alliance with a friendly faction, so you can take advantage of that new mechanic ASAP. In contrast, Cathay is very distant from potential friendlies that aren't of its faction and generally has to hope they survive and prosper without its interference.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
As Cathay the real pro tip is to kill everyone who isn't the skaven, give them one province that you don't give a poo poo about and recruit them.

I also had Orcs in my cathay campaign but they loving bailed on me one turn before the final battle.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

At 400 hours I no longer enjoy minor settlement fights but they were fun at first. I guess I allowed myself to enjoy the new elements before I focused on what's bad. It's the pathing for me. You have to babysit every unit just to get it to do what you want too much.

My current issues with the game is that too many of the mods are almost what I want but not quite every single time. Such as allowing demonic diplomacy. Ooops, nope. It's not just that. Your nurglings are on Etsy. You trade too. And you can't load old saves unless you have the mods exact. Or navigate the save menu to delete saves. Just got to wait for DLC team. And a mod that makes minors field battles only without walls like the old days instead of a 100% chance or a 50% chance.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has there ever been a case of a strategy game adding in multiple layers where the extra layers weren't really annoying to toggle between and keep track of?

No. It’s one of those things that is commonly asked for but is almost always a detriment to the game if added.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

No. It’s one of those things that is commonly asked for but is almost always a detriment to the game if added.

I remember didn't minding it in Age of Wonders an HoMM.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

I liked my Boris run in this game, even if the early game and getting used to WH3's new stuff took a while, but if I had chosen to start with Cathay instead...I definitely would've had a significantly warmer outlook on this game. Their roster, characters, and starting situation are so much more...I dunno, realized, I guess, than Kislev's.

That said, for all my dislike of how monolithic Kislev's early game is, I kinda had a realization: I feel like holes in the Kislev roster are meant to be filled by allied units. Think about it: Kislev starts very close to friendly nations in the form of Dwarfs and the Empire, and your biggest weakness is probably the lack of accessible and good artillery, which both the Empire and Dwarfs can solve. The myriad of issues with this, of course, is getting outposts up, hoping or having to actively make sure they don't get wrecked, and hoping the AI actually builds the recruitment buildings you want it to.

To put it into perspective, though: one of my favorite plays in the entirety of the Total War series was getting an outpost set up with Ungrim as Boris and then pairing my 4 Streltsy gunline with 4 Thunderers. This resulted in the coolest fuckin' gunline I've seen (yes, Streltsy can shoot over dwarf heads, this was even more impressive than a Skryre heavy weapons platoon) with Ice and Tempest magic support lighting up so many demons during the final battle; a level of synergy I couldn't even imagine in the older games. It was really, really cool seeing all those elements come together.

I imagine Kislev could really do with like, a starting outpost and alliance with a friendly faction, so you can take advantage of that new mechanic ASAP. In contrast, Cathay is very distant from potential friendlies that aren't of its faction and generally has to hope they survive and prosper without its interference.
Kislev has some pretty versatile units which can make their roster deceptively homogenous. But a faction that starts with an outpost(s) sounds fun. However I'm not sure how thematic it would be.

For Immortal Empires I could see it happening with Franz and Thorgrim since Empire/Dwarves had a very long history, or maybe Teclis starting with an outpost on Gelts starting province.

I would also like to see more thematic and flexible ways to get confederations or outposts. Getting back to Kislev, after you unify there's not much to use Devotion on. Perhaps you could spend 200×number of outposts to instantly slap down one you have at least nonagression treaty with, or use it to help with obtaining settlements from friendly neighbors.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

toasterwarrior posted:

To put it into perspective, though: one of my favorite plays in the entirety of the Total War series was getting an outpost set up with Ungrim as Boris and then pairing my 4 Streltsy gunline with 4 Thunderers. This resulted in the coolest fuckin' gunline I've seen (yes, Streltsy can shoot over dwarf heads, this was even more impressive than a Skryre heavy weapons platoon)

oh my god

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm playing as Kislev, and got Dwarf allies, and the second thunderers become available I'm doing it in most of my stacks! I just need to grab one of the eastern mountain faction units, since those northern ones don't look too surviveable.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

hey hey hey Leadbelchers fire over dwarf heads too just saying and humans

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Raygereio posted:

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic style map layers would have been neat. And something like underground roads would have been a better representation of the underway that the teleport stance we got.

It would take a lot of work, but when modding tools are released, I wonder if it would be possible to change demon realms into a underway layer.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The real question is how do dwarves in the Thunderer units feel about being recruited just so that humans with their lovely muskets can fire over their heads. Like are they ok with it, or is that a minor grudge?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lmao that we got this stupid marketing video out of nowhere today instead of a roadmap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=senV4ZCKm4Y

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Thorgrim and Franz starting with outposts in respective capitals makes sense. A slightly more "freeform " way to do it for Kislev could be to have an event that fires at some point that let's you pick a few different factions that you can get a huge relationship boost with (or turn it down for some other faction benefit). It wouldn't keep the AI from beating you to the outpost building, though I suppose you could have events for that too, but you could get there.

I still havent tried it but in theory gifting Hellpit to Kraka Drak helps them stay alive a lot longer and gives you some allies in your heartland. They can do more with that territory than you can, though losing half an Ataman kind of hurts. Still might be worth it.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

lmao that we got this stupid marketing video out of nowhere today instead of a roadmap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=senV4ZCKm4Y

aren't we just pointed at chaos dwarfs, stop for some blood along the way hopefully and big map next year?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Twigand Berries posted:

aren't we just pointed at chaos dwarfs, stop for some blood along the way hopefully and big map next year?

Why would chaos dwarfs come before the big map? We got mortal empires four weeks after the release of warhammer 2, and while it's obviously taking longer this time, I think waiting to do DLC first would be a huge mistake. Before launch 3-6 months was the guess most of us had, and I still think if it's any longer than that it's a huge failure.

I don't think anyone's expecting any big surprises in terms of content, but some idea of when things are going to be coming would be nice. And if there's going to be another big patch, some idea of what they still think they need to work on wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 14, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I don't think anyone is waiting to do the big map lol

it's just going to be awhile

i think they call it "managing your expectations" which means always expect the worst possible outcome

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tbf I think managing community expectations is part of what they could be doing better by giving some indication of what sort of timeline we're looking at here. If it's going to be longer than people are thinking, better to rip the bandaid off now than have people just being lovely about it indefinitely and then getting pissed when they find out anyway.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Twigand Berries posted:

i think they call it "managing your expectations" which means always expect the worst possible outcome

I'm waiting for the big map and have resigned myself to it being awhile.

I've reinstalled Fallout 4 and am playing with a bunch of realism/survival mods for the first time. Next game I will purchase will be Starfield, so I'm kinda in the mood for some Bethesda jank.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Tbf I think managing community expectations is part of what they could be doing better by giving some indication of what sort of timeline we're looking at here. If it's going to be longer than people are thinking, better to rip the bandaid off now than have people just being lovely about it indefinitely and then getting pissed when they find out anyway.

I’m still surprised at how badly they have handled this game. This is easily their biggest and most popular game series and they really just straight downgraded everything. The campaign is actually bad and it’s the only thing you can really play, this game deserves its bad steam rating.

I wish I could have just bought these factions for WH2.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Twigand Berries posted:

hey hey hey Leadbelchers fire over dwarf heads too just saying and humans

2 leadbelchers 2 handgunners 2 thunderers for the ultimate gun line.

The dwarves are going to end up incredibly deaf.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Mortal Empires game mode is the primary reason for TW2's longevity. Immortal Empires might do the same for TW3 but it's baffling they didn't capitalize on this and prioritize it over RoC. Release RoC as a DLC or something that they could have hyped to the loving moon. Maybe it would have sold poorly being EotV 2.0 but is this really the happy path they expected? They're following the same dev plan as TW2 and stepping barefoot on the same loving legos.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It seems CA hasn't really filled the hole left by Grace and the other community manager(s?) leaving CA.

The only real communication we're getting now are the occasional random post on CA's Discord channel? And whoever is running the Twitter account seems unaware the game has been released and is still posting marketing material.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, CA's community engagement has been all over the place with WH3. I'm not sure what happened (beyond the obviously problematic launch) in the wake of both Grace and Simone leaving, but it went from generally pretty good to... silence. Like CA hired three or four CMs and only one seems to exist, and even then only briefly. Makes me wonder what the gently caress is going on behind the scenes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They've had two new CMs for a month now, Pingu and someone else whose name I can't recall. They handle news on Reddit and Discord.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Raygereio posted:

It seems CA hasn't really filled the hole left by Grace and the other community manager(s?) leaving CA.

The only real communication we're getting now are the occasional random post on CA's Discord channel? And whoever is running the Twitter account seems unaware the game has been released and is still posting marketing material.

Simone (who was a great community manager with excellent timing to get out before the community turned on CA) leaving late last year definitely seemed like something they weren't prepared for at all, and yeah I still don't think they've filled the void particularly well. I think the idea here was to start marketing the game again now that it's been patched and even a lot of detractors say it's basically playable now, but it's super tone deaf to where community sentiment is and feels like a victory lap they haven't earned yet.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I think the idea here was to start marketing the game again now that it's been patched and even a lot of detractors say it's basically playable now, but it's super tone deaf to where community sentiment is and feels like a victory lap they haven't earned yet.
Yeah, tone deaf is right way to put it. If they had a decent community manager who had a good idea of where the general vibe is at, they might not have done this. As it is, it just comes across as kind of weird.
A renewed marketing push would have made more sense to me when Immortal Empires comes out. But who knows when that'll be.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I would like to clarify that I say next year as a joke on this now officially and legally Comedy Website and I'm sure it will be sooner considering half of the ogre big names are currently useless and things like that but I'm telling you the mods are working hard out there and if you are willing to hit play with 40 of the little fuckers active and cross your fingers it can be a great time

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Twigand Berries posted:

I've enjoyed my time with WH3 so far, but I don't plan on playing it again until the big map comes out.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This doesn't really make it sound like the roadmap is right around the corner.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That post launch trailer is just awful.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Torrannor posted:

I've enjoyed my time with WH3 so far, but I don't plan on playing it again until the big map comes out.
Same but for me it’s the blood dlc.

I have a Khorne play through to do, but without blood it would just be weird. I assumed it would be here by now but apparently not.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Thorgrim and Franz starting with outposts in respective capitals makes sense. A slightly more "freeform " way to do it for Kislev could be to have an event that fires at some point that let's you pick a few different factions that you can get a huge relationship boost with (or turn it down for some other faction benefit). It wouldn't keep the AI from beating you to the outpost building, though I suppose you could have events for that too, but you could get there.

Starting the campaign with a dilemma where you can pick between a Dwarf faction or an Imperial faction for your free outpost and alliance would be nice.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Me thinks some of you are huffing the doomposting a little too much, including a few posts just making things up like "can't use artillery/magic/ranged in WH3." Did you play Khorne, Nurgle and Slaanesh in order or something? And those last two have fantastic magic... there are 3 heavy ranged factions and 2 more that have fantastic ranged options. Danny can grab the Tzeentch roster and Ogres didn't need guns but got some of the best in the series anyway.

Also impressed by the resolute declaration that "in every way WH3 is a downgrade." Khorne playthrough again? Dunno how else you played a full campaign without opening the diplomacy screen once.

But whatever, this is just the state of WH3 discussion until IE drops. As you were, gentlemen.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

This doesn't really make it sound like the roadmap is right around the corner.

That sounds exactly like what they're saying but you're high on doomposting, my dude. That is bog standard "we're having meetings to set deadlines and order of release after we did what we openly declared we would do: fixing critical errors and our first balance patch."

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's just marketing departments being marketing departments, ie. trying desperately to justify their place in the budget long after release day

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Whatever, Arghy Faith Overhaul will solve all the problems anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Doomykins posted:

Me thinks some of you are huffing the doomposting a little too much,

That sounds exactly like what they're saying but you're high on doomposting, my dude. That is bog standard "we're having meetings to set deadlines and order of release after we did what we openly declared we would do: fixing critical errors and our first balance patch."

Nice username post combo. But I really don't think I'm doomposting--I've said the game's basically playable/okay now, even if it's not blowing me away or anything, and that I expect it to continue to get better with IE and DLC and everything. I just think they've done a bad job of communicating, and need to hurry up and say something instead of saying why they aren't saying something. It's been a week since the patch now (and the roadmap was initially supposed to come out a week after launch, before the need for a major patch became apparent), so it's hard to believe they haven't had a chance to hold a meeting since then. I get why they might be reluctant to commit to a timeline since they obviously ended up with a rushed product despite a significant pre-launch delay already, but it's not unreasonable to want some info two months into this thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 14, 2022