Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

I understand the idea of passing things for show without the intent of them becoming law. Because the “powers that be” don’t want them, or whatever. This is plausible argument on the case of, say, single payer healthcare.

However, I find it incredibly easy to dismiss out of hand on the weed issue when, because of the politicians my state elected*, I can smoke a blunt on the sidewalk in front of a god drat cop.

* democrats

I can do that too, I also fight with those Democrats on lots of progressive issues in my state because being a single party state allows them to be fairly conservative without penalty. Your lived experience of the Democrats being great doesn't counter out what other people experience.

There is also the difference between doing something and doing enough. They're always doing something to help, the complaints are often that it's not enough. It's too short of being actual help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Biden already said...

We gonna do this "what biden said vs what biden did" thing again?

Mellow Seas posted:

I understand the idea of passing things for show without the intent of them becoming law. Because the “powers that be” don’t want them, or whatever. This is plausible argument on the case of, say, single payer healthcare.

However, I find it incredibly easy to dismiss out of hand on the weed issue when, because of the politicians my state elected*, I can smoke a blunt on the sidewalk in front of a god drat cop.

* democrats

And so can I!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lib and let die posted:

Literally every single sentence after the one you cut off is about what he did.

He's not in favor of full legalization, but he isn't pretending to be. Even though this would be the ideal issue for him to pretend to be in favor of because it would be politically advantageous for him and he would never have to actually act on it.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Gumball Gumption posted:

I can do that too, I also fight with those Democrats on lots of progressive issues in my state because being a single party state allows them to be fairly conservative without penalty. Your lived experience of the Democrats being great doesn't counter out what other people experience.

There is also the difference between doing something and doing enough. They're always doing something to help, the complaints are often that it's not enough. It's too short of being actual help.

I can second this experience, attempts to tell red state democrats to do good things is met with accusations of wanting pure fantasyland bullshit. One of the Dems running this year is more pro-life than most Republicans, and when people mention "Hey, having this man represent the party isn't good", we're told to shut up and sit down because criticizing the party for being faux-Republican is helping Republicans, as if a conservative is going to vote for an imitation over the genuine article.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

He's not in favor of full legalization, but he isn't pretending to be. Even though this would be the ideal issue for him to pretend to be in favor of because it would be politically advantageous for him and he would never have to actually act on it.

$15 minimum wage passed? Student loan debts were forgiven (read: for more than a minority share of indebted people)?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

So in favor of decriminalization that he fired staffers that admitted to past cannabis use.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

And so can I!
Recreational use is fully legalized in my state. Florida’s laws caught up in 2019 to where blue states were in the aughts, or even the 90s in the case of CA and VT, by allowing medical marijuana.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

$15 minimum wage passed? Student loan debts were forgiven (read: for more than a minority share of indebted people)?

The entire paragraph was specifically about weed policy.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Mellow Seas posted:

Recreational use is fully legalized in my state. Florida’s laws caught up in 2019 to where blue states were in the aughts, or even the 90s in the case of CA and VT, by allowing medical marijuana.

You can't mention how progressive certain state Dems were without mentioning how the heads of the party wanted them and their constituents punished for doing so.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/obamas-war-on-pot-231820/

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The entire paragraph was specifically about weed policy.

Ohhh, sure, yeah, I can see where one might think "Biden actually delivered!" when it's hyperfocused to a single issue.

I'm speaking more in a sense of his administration's (thus far) entire record of what was promised vs what was delivered - I believe that one should inform the other.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

So in favor of decriminalization that he fired staffers that admitted to past cannabis use.

That's a dumb federal law. They waived it for a lot of people, but there were about a dozen positions in the White House that you can't grant a waiver for.

Biden's OPM issued a ruling explicitly telling agencies that past drug use is no longer a disqualifying factor and is waived on all applicants eligible for a waiver.

quote:

Past marijuana use doesn’t rule out federal jobs for applicants, OPM says

Past or discontinued marijuana use shouldn’t automatically preclude federal applicants or appointees from most employment opportunities in the federal government, the Office of Personnel Management said Thursday.

Agencies use a variety of factors to determine who’s suitable for a position in the federal government, including an applicant or appointee’s criminal or dishonest conduct and illegal use of drugs, narcotics or other controlled substances without “evidence of substantial rehabilitation,” OPM said in a new memo to agencies.

But those decisions have become more complicated in recent years, as 15 states and the District of Columbia have removed prohibitions on recreational or medical marijuana use.

And while state laws have changed, federal laws largely haven’t.

Under OPM’s new suitability regulations, agencies can’t automatically find an applicant or appointee unsuitable for federal employment based on criminal conduct or drug use.

Agencies should instead, OPM said, consider a few factors on a case-by-case basis:

- The nature of the position for which the person is applying or employed,
- The nature and seriousness of the conduct,
- The circumstances surrounding the conduct,
- The recency of the conduct,
- The age of the person at the time conduct,
- Societal conditions

“It would be inconsistent with suitability regulations to implement a policy of finding an individual unfit or unsuitable for federal service solely on the basis of recency of marijuana use,” McGettigan said. “Past marijuana use, including recently discontinued marijuana use, should be viewed differently from ongoing marijuana use.”

Agencies should consider all of those factors together, where they apply, to make suitability determinations, OPM said.

In addition, applicants or appointees who have violated the Controlled Substance Act or engaged in criminal conduct in the past won’t necessarily receive an unfavorable suitability determination.

While applicants with a history of marijuana use before joining the federal government might have some leeway, the rules tighten once they become an employee.

State laws have changed over the years, but federal laws and policies on keeping a drug-free workplace are still in place, OPM said.

And agencies are still supposed to comply with an 1986 Drug-Free Workplace executive order, which requires federal employees to refrain from using illegal drugs, whether on or off duty.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforce/2021/02/past-marijuana-use-doesnt-rule-out-federal-jobs-for-applicants-opm-says/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can’t tell you how glad I am that we can just ignore Iowa again after the shitshow that was the 2020 Iowa Caucus

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Florida legislature let Ron DeSantis personally do the redistricting for Florida, so they haven't had an official map for months despite the primaries coming up pretty soon.

He just released his map.

For reference:

- Current split is 11D - 16R

- If this was the map used in 2020, it would be an 8D - 20R.

- In a very good Republican year, it could be a 6D - 22R.

- In a very good Democratic year, it could be an 11D - 17R.

- Most of the seats are safe seats for either party (although, obviously a lot more safe Republicans) and there would be about 6 seats out of 28 that would be regular swing districts.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 14, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

From The Phylactery-Dependent Caucus Gotta Go Dept.

https://twitter.com/talkopan/status/1514552558781706244?s=21&t=GsDkW_YVPn3xo-GiWPR1fQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It would be nice if someone would do something about her not being able to do her job

Instead every 6 months there is a new article with anonymous Dems being concerned about her

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If their sourcing on that is accurate, then that is pretty damning and goes beyond just rumors. Apparently, multiple Democratic Senators and leadership have been trying to push her out for a few years, stopped for a while because they were worried about the California recall, started trying to convince her to retire again after the recall, and then stopped again when her husband died. She does not want to be forced out or leave in the middle of her term.

quote:

Four U.S. senators, including three Democrats, as well as three former Feinstein staffers and the California Democratic member of Congress told The Chronicle in recent interviews that her memory is rapidly deteriorating. They said it appears she can no longer fulfill her job duties without her staff doing much of the work.

quote:

They said that the memory lapses do not appear to be constant and that some days she is nearly as sharp as she used to be. During the March confirmation hearing for soon-to-be-Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, Feinstein appeared composed as she read pertinent questions, though she repeated comments to Jackson about the judge’s composure in the face of tough questioning. But some close to her said that on her most difficult days, she does not seem to fully recognize even longtime colleagues.

quote:

“It’s bad, and it’s getting worse,” said one Democratic senator. This person said that within the Senate, Feinstein has difficulty keeping up with conversations and discussions.

“There’s a joke on the Hill, we’ve got a great junior senator in Alex Padilla and an experienced staff in Feinstein’s office,” said a staffer for a California Democrat.

quote:

All of those who expressed concerns about Feinstein’s acuity said that doing so was painful because of their respect for the senator and her groundbreaking career. Each spoke on condition of anonymity, because they said they did not want to jeopardize their relationship with her and their mutual friends and colleagues.

They spoke to The Chronicle before Feinstein’s husband, financier Richard Blum, who had been in very ill health as he battled cancer, died. They said they were also sensitive to what Feinstein was going through.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Florida legislature let Ron DeSantis personally do the redistricting for Florida, so they haven't had an official map for months despite the primaries coming up pretty soon.

- Most of the seats are safe seats for either party (although, obviously a lot more safe Republicans) and there would be about 6 seats out of 28 that would be regular swing districts.

LMAO the 23rd district remains insanely hosed and shaped specifically to grant Wasserman-Schultz an entirely safe district.

How the gently caress did she manage that?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Never interrupt your enemy when they're making a mistake

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

FlamingLiberal posted:

It would be nice if someone would do something about her not being able to do her job

Instead every 6 months there is a new article with anonymous Dems being concerned about her

Releasing power from their shaky skeletal grip might allow someone who wants to fix things to take their place.

Its not like she's causing much harm by staying in office, right?

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-10-16/dianne-feinstein-liberal-critics-amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court-hearing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

LMAO the 23rd district remains insanely hosed and shaped specifically to grant Wasserman-Schultz an entirely safe district.

How the gently caress did she manage that?

Because making incredibly safe districts for your political opponents by packing all of their ideal voters into single districts is how they went from 11D - 16R to 8D - 20R with the exact same vote distribution.

DeSantis basically made 6 incredibly safe perfectly constructed districts for Democrats around Miami-Dade and Orlando, but completely obliterated the 5 Dem-leaning swing districts to make a bunch of R-leaning swing districts.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
it's pretty insane how corrupt Florida is, and how terrible people seem to flock to it politically.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bishyaler posted:

Releasing power from their shaky skeletal grip might allow someone who wants to fix things to take their place.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-10-16/dianne-feinstein-liberal-critics-amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court-hearing

She’ll be remembered for fighting valiantly for the right to fly the Confederate flag on government property in California.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Crist's old district seems to have gotten shafted, but not by an enormous amount. The district has a little more Clearwater and a little less St. Petersburg, so it is a harder R lean. It is still a swing district, but it is somehwere between an R+2 and R+5 (the vote precincts counts don't exactly line up with the new geographic area and I'm not spending the time to get an exact 2020 precinct/address lineup) instead of a dead even split like it was before.

Crist won by 6 points in 2020, so if the new nominee performs as well as Crist, then they have about a 50/50 shot of winning in an average year. If it is a bad year for Dems or the candidate performs worse than Crist, then it looks like a likely R.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

He just released his map.

NPR did a local segment on this yesterday and reminded me that the party in power gets to draw their own district maps, which is completely nuts. That's like the home team appointing their own umpire to call balls and strikes. I don't know what sort of independent third party you could get and, honestly, I expected DeSantis' map to have a lot more really bizarre shapes. I was listening to the show though and wondered why they simply can't just define districts by county until I realized there are 67 counties in the state.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it's pretty insane how corrupt Florida is, and how terrible people seem to flock to it politically.

It's getting worse too. It's always kind of sucked where I live but was borderline tolerable. Lately though it's becoming more and more red, aggressive and mean spirited.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fetterman starting to run away with the Democratic Senate nomination in Pennsylvania, but general election polls show a Republican edge (with the giant caveats that neither party has an actual nominee yet, all candidates have a 35% to 50% "don't know/no opinion" answer on their approval, and the general election is 7 months away).

quote:

Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman has pulled ahead as the Democratic U.S. Senate frontrunner over U.S. Rep. Conor Lamb, while the GOP primary for the country’s most-watched Senate race remains wide open, according to a Franklin & Marshall College Poll released Thursday.

Mr. Fetterman now leads the Democratic primary with 41% of registered Democrats saying they’d support him in the upcoming May 17 election and 26% who are still undecided, according to the poll. Approximately 17% of voters said they’d support Mr. Lamb, while only 4% said they’d support state Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta.

Mr. Fetterman maintains a strong lead in support among progressives and a slight lead among moderate voters, with Mr. Lamb within 10 percentage points among moderates.

Republican primary is still basically a tie with Dr. Oz and former hedge fund CEO Dave McCormick in the mid-teens with about half of voters undecided.

quote:

The Republican U.S. Senate primary, meanwhile, is still anyone’s race, with 43% of voters still undecided on which candidate they’ll support, according to the poll.

Former daytime TV host and medical surgeon Mehmet Oz and former hedge fund CEO Dave McCormick only attained 16% and 15% support, respectively, in the poll, despite hammering millions in TV ads over the last three months.

Pollsters spoke with participants from March 30 through Sunday. Most of the poll was conducted before former President Donald Trump endorsed Mr. Oz on Saturday.

It’s still unclear whether Mr. Oz will pick up support from the endorsement, Mr. Yost said.

Mr. Oz also received the highest unfavorable rating among Republican voters, with 39% of voters saying they have a somewhat unfavorable or strongly unfavorable opinion of him. Mr. Oz received a higher unfavorability rating than Mr. Trump — only 18% of GOP voters said they had unfavorable feelings toward the former president.

Mr. Yost said the poll may help Mr. McCormick’s campaign make the case that Mr. Oz is not well liked among Republican voters.

“The poll shows he’s got some things to overcome there,” Mr. Yost added.

On the flip side, Mr. McCormick is still unknown by 50% of voters, according to the poll.

“With the kind of money the McCormick campaign has spent … that’s, like, wow. Republican voters still can’t recall who he is,” Mr. Yost added.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/p...es/202204130138

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's a weird economic data point.

During the back half of 2021, when real incomes were rising, consumer sentiment was plummeting and even hitting record lows.

Now, real wages actually are falling, but consumer sentiment has unexpectedly risen dramatically. It's the highest increase since January 2006 and outpacing every single estimate (which almost universally expected sentiment to stay roughly where it was or go down slightly).

There's not really any macroeconomic reason for people to feel this dramatically different, but there also wasn't any macroeconomic reason for it to plunge as far as it did in 2021.

Even in inflation-adjusted terms, people are buying more goods than pre-pandemic. It's not really clear why people are buying much more stuff or feeling so much better about the prospects of the economy. By most macroeconomic measures, real income has been slowly declining over the last 7 months.

People surveyed cite rising wages and an expectation that inflation will stay high, but stop increasing so quickly. But, wages (and more importantly, real wages) were rising last year, so it doesn't really make sense that they would feel better about it when real wages are down slightly.

quote:

U.S. consumer sentiment unexpectedly rose to a three-month high in early April as optimism about job growth and wage expectations more than outweighed decades-high inflation.

The University of Michigan’s sentiment index increased to 65.7 from 59.4 in March, data released Thursday showed. The figure exceeded all estimates in a Bloomberg survey of economists, which had a median forecast of 59.

The survey’s measure of future expectations climbed to 64.1, the highest since January. The monthly increase of almost 10 points was the largest since 2006. A gauge of current conditions increased to 68.1.

Consumers still expect inflation to rise 5.4% over the next year, and their expectations for price increases in the next five to 10 years remained at 3%. That’s a good sign that they don’t see inflation worsening much more.

Americans see their wages rising and the economy improving, bolstering sentiment about their personal finances. They also see a smaller rise in gas prices, supporting anticipation of improved inflation-adjusted incomes.

Healthy employment gains helped bolster wage expectations among respondents younger than age 45. Households expect income gains to rise 2.7%, the biggest increase since 2006.

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1514611847114084361

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bishyaler posted:

It's literally unthinkable for Democrats to voluntarily relinquish positions of prestige, and deeply indecorous to even hint at it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's literally unthinkable for Democrats to voluntarily relinquish positions of prestige, and deeply indecorous to even hint at it.

The article says that Senate leadership and other Senators tried to convince her not to run for re-election in 2018 and have been pushing her to retire for 3 years.

It's kind of telling that Schumer refused to even comment to defend her, but Pelosi did.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

There's not really any macroeconomic reason for people to feel this dramatically different, but there also wasn't any macroeconomic reason for it to plunge as far as it did in 2021.

Even in inflation-adjusted terms, people are buying more goods than pre-pandemic. It's not really clear why people are buying much more stuff or feeling so much better about the prospects of the economy. By most macroeconomic measures, real income has been slowly declining over the last 7 months

I've long harbored a personal notion that advertising is the lynchpin of all capitalist systems - I don't have any scholarly research or quantifiable data to back it up, but it's impossible to turn on a TV or turn on the radio and not be bombarded with the message that, essentially, "The Dark Time is Over and It's Time to Consume Once More!" Following from that thought, there is no macroeconomic cause for what we're seeing - it's sociological.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

NPR did a local segment on this yesterday and reminded me that the party in power gets to draw their own district maps, which is completely nuts. That's like the home team appointing their own umpire to call balls and strikes. I don't know what sort of independent third party you could get and, honestly, I expected DeSantis' map to have a lot more really bizarre shapes. I was listening to the show though and wondered why they simply can't just define districts by county until I realized there are 67 counties in the state.

It's getting worse too. It's always kind of sucked where I live but was borderline tolerable. Lately though it's becoming more and more red, aggressive and mean spirited.

The bizarre shapes are usually around urban areas, since that's where you're more likely to see clearly Dem-leaning neighborhoods and clearly GOP-leaning neighborhoods in close contact to each other.

It's hard to see on that map with the numbers in the way, but if you look real closely around Miami, you'll see some pretty funky shapes. Not only is District 20 extending a tentacle into District 25, but it's also squeezed a couple bulbous growths along the line between 21 and 22 to gobble up a couple small areas. I'm not familiar enough with South Florida geography to know exactly what's going on there, though.

Meanwhile, in the case of Jacksonville and Tallahassee, the lack of funny shapes is probably good for Republicans as well. Those two cities have relatively large numbers of African-American residents, and by splitting those cities across a couple of large districts, the map dilutes the Dem-leaning urban black voters in a sea of GOP-leaning suburban and rural whites.

That's one of the trickier problems in redistricting: Florida has a significant African-American population, but in any individual geographic area, black voters won't make up enough of the population to really make a difference in voting for a representative. As a result, black voters will have essentially no influence on House race results there unless some districts are drawn up specifically to include more black areas and exclude white areas. But on the other hand, packing more black voters into one district means removing black voters from other districts, making them whiter. The line between "ensuring African-Americans have some impact on the selection of the state's representatives" and "packing all the black voters into one ultra-gerrymandered district to create one safe Dem district and a bunch of leans-GOP districts" is one the Florida legislature has been feuding over for decades.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

So, he's not hiding anything. He's put his position pretty much out in the open, even though a full marijuana legalization bill is not getting on his desk anytime soon. He's actually doing the opposite of what some people are claiming and is instead staking out a minority position for no reason on an issue that will never come to his desk. This would actually be the perfect issue for him to pretend to have evolved on, because it is a majority position, he will never have to act on it anytime soon, and he's already gone 90% of the way there by supporting full decriminalization.

Can't Biden deschedule weed on his own, without Congress?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Willa Rogers posted:

No. At most he can ask the agencies involved to consider moving it to a different schedule under the CSA. The agencies, which are supposed to aply congressional language and interact with entities like NIDA in the scheduling consultation and rulemaking process, are not likely to unilaterally move cannabis.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 14, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bishyaler posted:

You can't mention how progressive certain state Dems were without mentioning how the heads of the party wanted them and their constituents punished for doing so.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/obamas-war-on-pot-231820/

Jesus christ:

quote:

In addition, the federal war on medical marijuana has locked pot dispensaries out of the banking system – especially in Colorado, home to the nation’s second-largest market for medicinal cannabis. Top banks – including Chase, Wells Fargo and Bank of America – are refusing to do business with state-licensed dispensaries, for fear of federal prosecution for money-laundering and other federal drug crimes. In a House hearing in December, Rep. Jared Polis of Colorado warned Attorney General Holder that strong-arming banks will actually raise the likelihood of crime. If pot dispensaries have to work outside the normal financial system, Polis told Holder, “it makes the industry harder for the state to track, to tax, to regulate them, and in fact makes it prone to robberies, because it becomes a cash business.”

The IRS has also joined in the administration’s assault on pot dispensaries, seeking to deny them standard tax deductions enjoyed by all other businesses. Invoking an obscure provision of the tax code meant to trip up drug kingpins, the IRS now maintains that pot dispensaries can deduct only one expense – ironically, the cost of the marijuana itself. All other normal costs of doing business – including employee salaries and benefits, rent, equipment, electricity and water – have been denied.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

No, but he can do a lot of things around scheduled drugs to minimize the impact of their scheduling.

The CSA requires the AG to comply with international treaties regarding drug scheduling. If those drug treaties were modified or if the U.S. withdrew from them, then the President could direct the executive agencies to do it unilaterally. But, if there are votes to withdraw the U.S. from all international drug treaties, then there are probably enough votes to just change the Controlled Substances Act.

quote:

Although the CRS report found that the President cannot deschedule marijuana unilaterally via executive order, the report also found that “he might order executive agencies to consider either altering the scheduling of marijuana or changing their enforcement approach.”

quote:

However, while the President is limited in what he can do about existing federal laws, the report notes that “he has substantial control over how the law is enforced.” The Constitution grants the President broad clemency power with respect to all federal offenses (except cases of impeachment). “The President may grant a pardon at any time after an offense is committed: before the pardon recipient is charged with a crime, after a charge but prior to conviction, or following conviction. The power is not limited to pardons for individual offenders: the President may also issue a general amnesty to a class of people.”

quote:

THE CSA REQUIRES THE AG TO COMPLY WITH INTERNATIONAL TREATIES WHEN MAKING ALL SCHEDULING DECISIONS.

This particular limitation on the AG’s scheduling authority is found in 21 U.S.C. Section 811(d):

“If control is required by United States obligations under international treaties, . . . the Attorney General shall issue an order controlling such drug under the schedule he deems most appropriate to carry out such obligations. . .”

Furthermore, the treaties referenced by Section 811(d), including the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, require member states to ban the recreational use of marijuana. Consider this statement from the International Narcotics Control Board, made in 2016 in anticipation of Canada’s legalization of recreational marijuana:

“Legalization of the use of cannabis for non-medical purposes is inconsistent with . . . [International] Conventions because the Conventions oblige States parties to limit the use of narcotic drugs exclusively to medical and scientific purposes. . .”

Thus, so long as treaties require member states to ban recreational marijuana, the President (and the AG) lack the power to de-schedule the drug.

https://my.vanderbilt.edu/marijuanalaw/2020/03/could-the-president-legalize-marijuana-through-executive-action/

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Willa Rogers posted:

Jesus christ:

and the weed business in CO is still booming. making it a friendlier business will just make it go crazier.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

No. At most he can ask the agencies involved to consider moving it to a different schedule under the CSA. The agencies, which are supposed to aply congressional language and interact with entities like NIDA in the schduling consultation and rulemaking process, are not likely to unilaterally move cannabis.

I guess Obama had no choice but to reappoint Bush's DEA chief for a five-year term, and to go along with Sebelius, too. Gosh, what could anyone expect a president to do?

quote:

The sharpest and most surprising rebuke to the administration has come from centrist governors who are fed up with the war on medicinal pot. In November, Gregoire and Chafee issued a bipartisan petition to the DEA, asking the agency to reclassify marijuana as a Schedule II drug, the same as cocaine and meth – one with a recognized medicinal value, despite its high potential for abuse. “It’s time to show compassion, and it’s time to show common sense,” says Gregoire. “We call on the federal government to end the confusion and the unsafe burden on patients.”

A petition by two sitting governors is historic – but it’s unlikely to shift federal policy. Last June, after a nine-year delay, the Obama administration denied a similar petition. An official at the Department of Health and Human Services left little hope for reclassification, reiterating the Bush-era position that there is “no accepted medical use for marijuana in the United States.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Jesus christ:

Worth noting that article is citing things from 2011 and all of those were reversed by Obama starting in 2014. Eric Holder granted banking and tax waivers to states and legal entities that handled legal recreational pot that were later rescinded by Jeff Sessions.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Worth noting that article is citing things from 2011 and all of those were reversed by Obama starting in 2014. Eric Holder granted banking and tax waivers to states and legal entities that handled legal recreational pot that were later rescinded by Jeff Sessions.

otoh, dispensaries are still not able to use the federal banking system, nor allowed to deduct operating expenses beyond the costs of goods sold for tax purposes (including routine expenses like employee salaries, rent, etc.).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, this is official recall territory if they can't talk her into stepping down.

If their sourcing on that is accurate, then that is pretty damning and goes beyond just rumors. Apparently, multiple Democratic Senators and leadership have been trying to push her out for a few years, stopped for a while because they were worried about the California recall, started trying to convince her to retire again after the recall, and then stopped again when her husband died. She does not want to be forced out or leave in the middle of her term.

Tough poo poo. The murmurs have been going on for years and so have the OTR reports about her mental non-acuity. This senator needs to step down, and maybe someone like Biden can convince her to do so.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

otoh, dispensaries are still not able to use the federal banking system, nor allowed to deduct operating expenses beyond the costs of goods sold for tax purposes (including routine expenses like employee salaries, rent, etc.).

Yeah, but those aren't executive actions. You were talking about executive actions they could take and did not.

One big example is Obama not rescheduling pot to schedule II. The President can't deschedule a drug, but he can reschedule it to allow certain medical research. Obama chose not to do that. That is one area where he 100% had the ability to do something and chose not to.

Biden actually signed a medical marijuana research law that expands medical pot research further than descheduling would do. The banking problem is also something they are voting on this month.

The federal tax write offs don't appear to have any solution coming anytime soon, though.