Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

It looks like a cartoon villain's car.

E: or something from Carmageddon. Just add some spikes or spinning blades or something.

david_a posted:

ROAD HOG driven by BARON OINKMEISTER

these posts have stuck in my mind every time a new BMW design is revealed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dave Inc. posted:

Those headlights are just painful. Is this just a matter of the upper position being too high for regulations?

Serious Aztec vibes.

I think a lot of it is realisation that cars are too tall and so are just blinding everyone else not sat in a large car too. Whether it's a regulation thing or manufacturers being nice to other road users is another matter entirely (it won't be the latter :v: )

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Of course the dipshit young wannabe "influencers" on Reddit love all the new BMW designs! :newlol:

BMW is borrowing from Hyundai/KIA's uglier design elements in the quest to be "edgy" and it's dumb. :colbert:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Illuminated grilles are the ugliest, tackiest embodiment of brand worship and whoever puts them into production should be fired.

Like out of a cannon

But how else will other drivers know how much better you are than them at night?

See also the illuminated MB emblem.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Keyser_Soze posted:

Of course the dipshit young wannabe "influencers" on Reddit love all the new BMW designs! :newlol:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If BMW's design language (and most of the stuff being shat into our collective eyes from the car industry in general) is what counts as objectively good these days then I'm very happy to be Skinner in this instance.

*edit: that car designers these days are all in on the 'more is more' trail of design, chucking more and more disjointed lines and features on cars to hide their true size just tells me they're running out of ideas (or the design heads are pushing awful ones). Fake exhausts in fake exhaust cut outs on rear bumpers that do not need to exist but only to hide the expanse of bumper that would exist if they didn't. fake vents in places on cars that even if they weren't fake wouldn't actually do anything useful. The rush to put full width LEDs on the front and back of cars when the rules changed to allow it meaning virtually every manufacturer is doing the same thing. The fact that CUVs and SUVs being so large that wheels have to be enormous to balance out the design and still look kinda small in a lot of cases.

There's a lot of things wrong with modern car design, it isn't a bad thing to say they look like poo poo because in truth they do. Good design is timeless, these things will age poorly and I seriously doubt very many modern cars will be looked upon as favourably as those that have come before.

Look at this certified design classic right here.

...and this isn't even close to the worst offender.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 13, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't hate that TBH. I like the "grille" - very Darth Vader.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Look you should be open minded but not so open minded that your brain eyes fall into your skull

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

KillHour posted:

I don't hate that TBH. I like the "grille" - very Darth Vader.

More like the Royal Guard instead

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's a lot of things wrong with modern car design, it isn't a bad thing to say they look like poo poo because in truth they do. Good design is timeless, these things will age poorly and I seriously doubt very many modern cars will be looked upon as favourably as those that have come before.

It looks like a Rav-4 to me (or any number of crossovers), which people seem to love, so I just accept I am the one that is out of touch.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jeep was ahead of the curve with the 2014 Cherokee and it's bi-level DRL / headlight setup.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My neice would play with that if it was a hotwheel. Therefore it's a good car.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I fully expect the driver of this car to fall out of the door in a shower of empties then start a fight with the crossing guard while in line for pickup at the local elementary.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Jeep was ahead of the curve with the 2014 Cherokee and it's bi-level DRL / headlight setup.

1998 what up?

2001 what up?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I remember seeing the Multipla in Europe on vacation as a kid and wondering who bought them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I finally saw a G70 in person yesterday and drat do they look good.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like the only car companies that make anything visually bearable these days is Chrysler/Dodge and Genesis.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Weird, I'm having to restrain myself from blowing money on various cars because I think they look cool.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

I feel like the only car companies that make anything visually bearable these days is Chrysler/Dodge and Genesis.

what cars does chrysler make

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

That’s the worst bit. Because those Cherokees were ugly as gently caress

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Head Bee Guy posted:

what cars does chrysler make

You can walk onto a lot right now and buy a Chrysler 300. The Avalon may be discontinued, Chevy won't sell you an Impala, the Taurus is gone, even the drat Kia Cadenza is gone, but Chrysler will keep the 300 around for many years to come.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If BMW's design language (and most of the stuff being shat into our collective eyes from the car industry in general) is what counts as objectively good these days then I'm very happy to be Skinner in this instance.

People have different tastes and car companies probably aren’t going out of their way to cater to the tastes of a bunch of aging curmudgeons who want brown manual wagons and 20 year old Miata’s.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Rusty posted:

It looks like a Rav-4 to me (or any number of crossovers), which people seem to love, so I just accept I am the one that is out of touch.

The rav 4 hybrid limited is gods most perfect overall vehicle.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

People have different tastes and car companies probably aren’t going out of their way to cater to the tastes of a bunch of aging curmudgeons who want brown manual wagons and 20 year old Miata’s.

Old people are literally the only ones they do cater to. It's just that if you're in your 30s or 40s, you're far too young for it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Old people are literally the only ones they do cater to. It's just that if you're in your 30s or 40s, you're far too young for it.

They aren’t designing the x7 for people who wish cars had stopped changing 20 years ago which is most of what’s represented here. Whether those people are 40 or 60 now they aren’t the target market.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

sometimes designers just do a bad job and it doesnt have anything to do with focus grouping or market research

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

You can walk onto a lot right now and buy a Chrysler 300. The Avalon may be discontinued, Chevy won't sell you an Impala, the Taurus is gone, even the drat Kia Cadenza is gone, but Chrysler will keep the 300 around for many years to come.

Maybe the high output hurricane will make it better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Look I'm loving trying but I can only buy so many.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

First time I saw the Multipla in my rear view mirror it was so ugly I almost crashed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

YOLOsubmarine posted:

As Clarkson correctly observed, put a BMW badge on a steaming turd and a bunch of idiots will line up to buy it just because of the badge.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KillHour posted:

Look I'm loving trying but I can only buy so many.

Didn't you buy a new M4 with the similar front end to the X7 that started this discussion? :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As Clarkson correctly observed, put a BMW badge on a steaming turd and a bunch of idiots will line up to buy it just because of the badge.

In electric motorcycle land, you can now buy the single existing Livewire model either with or without a Harley badge. The Harley badge adds $8k.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Incidentally while the pig snout doesn't look good on the M3/M4 IMO, the proportions of the grille fit the comically huge X7.

The M4 is subjectively ugly because of the oversized grille.
That X7 is objectively ugly because of *everything else* going on around the grille. The Cherokee/Kona headlights. The weirdly pointy chrome accent piece across the bottom. The giant black hexagon surrounding the lidar/radar/whatevar instruments. The weird convex fold to create the ducts on your 6,000 pound SUV.

Just all of it is so bad.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 14, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Genesis Speedium coupe concept.

build it yo cowards :argh:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

morothar posted:

That’s the worst bit. Because those Cherokees were ugly as gently caress

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Powershift posted:

Ah nice, the Hyundai Gemera

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

build it yo cowards :argh:

They won't but I wish they would. Give it custom luggage like that Aston Martin shooting brake.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Didn't you buy a new M4 with the similar front end to the X7 that started this discussion? :v:

I did and I hope they make a bajillion of them because they're amazing cars regardless of how you think they look and I want them to make more of that instead of another "M" SUV for dentists. I also bought it in yellow with the blue interior because gently caress boring car colors.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 14, 2022

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They aren’t designing the x7 for people who wish cars had stopped changing 20 years ago which is most of what’s represented here. Whether those people are 40 or 60 now they aren’t the target market.

Cars were pretty good 20 years ago, but I still accept changes:

more power
cheaper
lighter
sensible maintenance and repairs
visually restrained
more power

Carmakers just aren't really delivering the set of changes I want.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

more power - yes
cheaper - no
lighter - no
more power - yes
sensible maintenance and repairs - less maintenance but also less maintainability

I've corrected your homework for what will actually happen. B-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
New top Range Rover is $165,000 "offroad" SUV with 23" wheels and "hot stone" massage seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1XHl8nTJRo