Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Biden has explicitly said he would sign the bill passed by the House.
Yeah he says stuff like "ho hum if congress does it ok" a lot about policies that won't pass without a president fighting to get them through congress, policies which he explicitly opposed in the primary which he entered to make sure someone who would fight for them wouldn't get the nomination. Do you really believe he doesn't still believe the things he said when he was running tho.

Why do you suppose he isn't doing the one thing he could do without congress: pardon everyone with federal marijuana charges? Did he drop the pardon pen under the Resolute Desk and he's too embarrassed to ask for someone with good knees to crawl under there to look for it.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
So are there any laws that prevent Elon Musk from buying 9% of Twitter, then publicly offering to buy the entire company outright at a premium, thereby driving up the price, then selling his shares for a quick windfall?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Jayapal not endorsing Nina Turner has hit me pretty hard in terms of overall faith in electoralism as a solution to our problems. Turner isn't some radical- she advocates for 99% of the things that Jayapal and the progressive caucus run on.

I think the real difference is that Turner actually wants to implement those policies instead of fundraise off of them, and that's super depressing for our political "future".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah he says stuff like "ho hum if congress does it ok" a lot about policies that won't pass without a president fighting to get them through congress, policies which he explicitly opposed in the primary which he entered to make sure someone who would fight for them wouldn't get the nomination. Do you really believe he doesn't still believe the things he said when he was running tho.

Why do you suppose he isn't doing the one thing he could do without congress: pardon everyone with federal marijuana charges? Did he drop the pardon pen under the Resolute Desk and he's too embarrassed to ask for someone with good knees to crawl under there to look for it.

They released everyone with non-violent federal marijuana charges to home confinement and started an automatic process in November 2021 for everyone with federal marijuana charges who are currently incarcerated to be granted clemency.

Not the same thing as a pardon, but there are currently 0 people locked up for federal pot charges.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Crist's old district seems to have gotten shafted, but not by an enormous amount. The district has a little more Clearwater and a little less St. Petersburg, so it is a harder R lean. It is still a swing district, but it is somehwere between an R+2 and R+5 (the vote precincts counts don't exactly line up with the new geographic area and I'm not spending the time to get an exact 2020 precinct/address lineup) instead of a dead even split like it was before.

Crist won by 6 points in 2020, so if the new nominee performs as well as Crist, then they have about a 50/50 shot of winning in an average year. If it is a bad year for Dems or the candidate performs worse than Crist, then it looks like a likely R.

Good thing that Crist gave up his House seat for a race in which he's currently running 20 points behind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Slowpoke! posted:

So are there any laws that prevent Elon Musk from buying 9% of Twitter, then publicly offering to buy the entire company outright at a premium, thereby driving up the price, then selling his shares for a quick windfall?

Yes selling his shares based on the material nonpublic information that he isn't really going to buy the company is insider trading which is illegal, and he might even get prosecuted if some rich enough people lost money on that pump and dump

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

I've long harbored a personal notion that advertising is the lynchpin of all capitalist systems - I don't have any scholarly research or quantifiable data to back it up, but it's impossible to turn on a TV or turn on the radio and not be bombarded with the message that, essentially, "The Dark Time is Over and It's Time to Consume Once More!" Following from that thought, there is no macroeconomic cause for what we're seeing - it's sociological.

Yeah, and I think people underestimate the psychic damage of the last two push/pull years of the pandemic, especially the last year.

It's like that Dem consulting firm's memo to Biden strongly urging Open Biden right before he did a couple months ago; the memo was right on about people's psychological needs to get back to at least a veneer of normality.

I don't think that their doing so will necessarily help Dems or Biden, but keeping mandatory measures beyond the two-year mark would've destroyed them even worse than they're going to be destroyed in November, particularly since members of Congress themselves were publicly spurning guidelines about tourism travel & masking.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Because making incredibly safe districts for your political opponents by packing all of their ideal voters into single districts is how they went from 11D - 16R to 8D - 20R with the exact same vote distribution.

DeSantis basically made 6 incredibly safe perfectly constructed districts for Democrats around Miami-Dade and Orlando, but completely obliterated the 5 Dem-leaning swing districts to make a bunch of R-leaning swing districts.

Yeah, and it happens even among Dems with their same-party opponents; hence, IL Dems putting Marie Newman & Chuy Garcia in the same district during their first round. (Not sure what ultimately happened since the first round was tossed out by a state court.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Elon is already being sued for mistiming disclosure forms surrounding his initial Twitter buy

https://www.reuters.com/technology/elon-musk-is-sued-by-shareholders-over-delay-disclosing-twitter-stake-2022-04-12/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Elon also did one of the stupidest things you can do in securities law: Ignore the written rules.

You can get away with arguing what counts as "influence" or someone trying to prove what qualifies as a "trade secret" in your industry, but if the SEC paperwork says you need to disclose to investors in 10 days and you wait 26 days, then they have you dead to rights. Both investors and the SEC love when the conflict is over violating a specific written rule with a specific number because it is a dead shot legally.

The best you can do is argue ignorance, which doesn't absolve you, but might prevent criminal charges in some cases. Elon's case doesn't look like it has any criminal liability, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 14, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jesus, I keep thinking about the midterms and this is going to be an absolute (and well deserved) bloodbath. Like scorched earth retribution. I wonder what kind of odds I can get on Trump winning in 2024 because right now that's the most realistic and believable scenario I can picture and I'm hosed if I can think of any reason at all why that won't happen.

Also

Amazon adds 5% ‘fuel and inflation surcharge’ to seller fees

https://apnews.com/article/business-inflation-prices-4ae9ab8b6dd28652672f3e2615149de0

quote:

“In 2022, we expected a return to normalcy as COVID-19 restrictions around the world eased, but fuel and inflation have presented further challenges,” the company said in the notice.

Because, yeah, poor Bezos and company really took a loving hit there during the pandemic that they need to make up for. loving hell. Amazon benefited from the pandemic probably more than anyone I can think of; for obvious reasons.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

Oh, it's definitely very illegal. But Elon's been flaunting the SEC for years at this point, it's no surprise he doesn't fear them.

The SEC sued him in 2018 over his "taking Telsa private at $420" tweet. The suit was ultimately settled with a $40 million fine, making Elon step down as chairman, adding more independent members to the Tesla board, and requiring him to have tweets containing "material information" about Tesla pre-approved by Tesla's legal team.

In 2019, he tweeted out more material information without approval from the lawyers, so the SEC tried to get him held in contempt of the agreement. But the judge just told them to "put on their reasonableness pants" and "work it out" with Elon. This resulted in an amended settlement which clarified the conditions under which he needed approval (which was necessary since Elon himself claimed the right to decide whether or not a tweet needed approval from Tesla's lawyers).

The SEC subpoenaed Tesla again in November 2021, seeking more info about Elon's Twitter oversight after he tweeted that he was considering selling some Tesla stock (which raised concerns about insider trading). Musk responded in early 2022 by complaining about "endless harassment" from the SEC and seeking to have a judge terminate the settlement, saying he was "coerced" into it. So far there hasn't been any real legal movement on this front; I assume Musk is showboating and feeling out the judges, while the SEC is going to take their time and build up an especially solid case before they drag Musk back to court.

Aside from that, he's also facing a March 2021 lawsuit from a Tesla investor mad about his erratic tweets, and a couple of Twitter shareholders have already sued him over the late disclosure on his Twitter stock purchases.

He's definitely flaunting laws and court agreements, and the SEC is definitely gunning for him, but who knows how long it'll take for the richest man in the world to face consequences, or how many consequences a judge will actually allow?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh, it's definitely very illegal. But Elon's been flaunting the SEC for years at this point, it's no surprise he doesn't fear them.

This particular instance is not a criminal action and not something the SEC would prosecute him for. It's a civil penalty and opens him up to a class action suit from shareholders.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New Hampshire's Secretary of State and one of its Senators comes out against the new DNC primary plan.

South Carolina's Democratic Party has also objected, but has not said if they will do anything about it (the government is dominated by Republicans who would be in charge of scheduling the date).

Iowa also objects and cites a state law that requires they hold a caucus and be the first in the nation.

For those reading between the lines, all three of them have harshly condemned the plan, said they were going to do something about it, but not actually threatened to do anything specific.

https://twitter.com/Maggie_Hassan/status/1514403363529666561

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 14, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What can they realistically do? The states could sue but the DNC is allowed to make their own rules so I don’t see them losing in court.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

FlamingLiberal posted:

What can they realistically do? The states could sue but the DNC is allowed to make their own rules so I don’t see them losing in court.

Forfeit their delegates most likely.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I imagine they'll forfeit their delegates for a few cycles, and then quietly get with the program. Or not! No big loss if they don't. I'm super-glad to see primary reform happening, and in a substantial way at that. Exciting to see how that plays out in 2024.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nothing. That is why they didn't specify anything.

Some states with Republican trifectas could miss out on the chance to be one of the first five in a primary cycle if the Republican state government doesn't want to move the primary or hold two different primaries.

Iowa and New Hampshire also have state laws requiring them to be first/hold caucuses. So, they are either going to have to change those or just sort of accept that they won't get any delegates.

But, Iowa and New Hampshire have basically been knocked out of being in the first five, so it might not make any difference in the actual outcome anyway. It depends on what the state leaders end up doing. They can hold protest/non-binding elections alongside the "real" Republican primaries, but if they back down, they can still be Super Tuesday states - which is not as major as being permanently first, but still influential.

Both of those states are dominated by Republicans right now, so they might not care and just let the states get penalized in the Democratic primary or hold official Democratic caucuses run by the state parties at later dates and accept that they won't ever be in the first five.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 14, 2022

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Jayapal not endorsing Nina Turner has hit me pretty hard in terms of overall faith in electoralism as a solution to our problems. Turner isn't some radical- she advocates for 99% of the things that Jayapal and the progressive caucus run on.

I think the real difference is that Turner actually wants to implement those policies instead of fundraise off of them, and that's super depressing for our political "future".

This is the correct conclusion but you really should have put this together last year with her BBB fiasco

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Jayapal and Khanna are supposedly very progressive, but I do not understand why someone would conclude that.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding, it is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick-self therefore trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Jayapal and Khanna are supposedly very progressive, but I do not understand why someone would conclude that.

They're obvious careerists, OP

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jayapal endorsed Turner originally a few months ago. She said she endorsed Brown this time because they have a policy of supporting incumbents unless they are someone who the CPC has agreed to support a primary challenge against.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RNC meeting following the DNC meeting is live right now.

So far, it is mostly boring procedural stuff. But, they did make two big votes:

1) Vowed to keep Iowa first in the Republican primary (non-binding resolution of support, but sort of shows which way they are leaning)

2) Pulled out of all Presidential debates in 2024 unless they agree to their demands.

Their demands list is really long, but the big stuff is:

- Allowing the RNC to veto any moderator choices.

- Agree not to hold any debate after the first eligible mail-in, early, or absentee vote in the country is cast.

- Apologize for the decision to hold the second 2020 debate virtually and to mute candidate's microphones when they aren't being asked questions in the third 2020 debate.

- Adopting term limits for the Presidential Debate Commission board members.

- Allow the RNC to implement "transparent criteria for selecting debate moderators that would disqualify individuals from consideration who have apparent conflicts of interest due to personal, professional, or partisan factors."

- Prohibiting board members or potential moderators from making public comments about any candidates.

Edit: Article on the debate vote just went up a few minutes ago on CNN.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1514687197772922881

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Khanna is obviously an opportunist because he lost his first primary by running to the incumbent's right as a moderate sensible fiscally conservative socially liberal New Democrat, so next time he ran to the incumbent's left instead and won, he has no principles.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Just give the drat debates back to the League of Women Voters already. They've been a sham for decades.

eta this lmao bit:

quote:

The Trump campaign attacked Scully for working for Biden roughly four decades earlier, leading the journalist to accidentally publicly reach out on Twitter to Anthony Scaramucci, Trump's short-lived White House communications director. When the outreach frustrated Republicans, Scully said he had been hacked, something he later admitted was not true. C-SPAN then placed Scully on "administrative leave" for lying.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 14, 2022

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Their demands list is really long, but the big stuff is:

- Allowing the RNC to veto any moderator choices.

- Agree not to hold any debate after the first eligible mail-in, early, or absentee vote in the country is cast.

- Apologize for the decision to hold the second 2020 debate virtually and to mute candidate's microphones when they aren't being asked questions in the third 2020 debate.

- Adopting term limits for the Presidential Debate Commission board members.

- Allow the RNC to implement "transparent criteria for selecting debate moderators that would disqualify individuals from consideration who have apparent conflicts of interest due to personal, professional, or partisan factors."

- Prohibiting board members or potential moderators from making public comments about any candidates.

Edit: Article on the debate vote just went up a few minutes ago on CNN.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1514687197772922881

So this is just the RNC trying to find a way to smother CNN and MSNBC from providing moderators, right? Meaning the 2024 debates are either going to be cancelled or Trump/DeSantis/whoever won't be attending and Biden will essentially get multiple hour long blocks of time to address the nation, Town Hall-style?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Jayapal endorsed Turner originally a few months ago. She said she endorsed Brown this time because they have a policy of supporting incumbents unless they are someone who the CPC has agreed to support a primary challenge against.

Brown is absolutely someone who should be primaried, if for no other reasons than she cooperated with Republicans and took their funds to ensure Turner didn't win the primary and the corruption allegations. By no means an exhaustive list though.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Class3KillStorm posted:

So this is just the RNC trying to find a way to smother CNN and MSNBC from providing moderators, right? Meaning the 2024 debates are either going to be cancelled or Trump/DeSantis/whoever won't be attending and Biden will essentially get multiple hour long blocks of time to address the nation, Town Hall-style?

Yeah the networks all make good money off of the debates and will hold them even if the GOP decided to not show up.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Class3KillStorm posted:

The viewer ratings will be smashing, and Biden will totally own the absent Trump through his verbal jiu jitsu!

eta: I won't mind the absence of pharma ads following answers during debates on why the U.S. just can't join the rest of the world in not allowing capitalism to preclude medical care for the next several decades. It's just not feasible, Jack!

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 14, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Class3KillStorm posted:

Yes. The proposal is very obviously a proposal to replace the debates with the republican screaming at the democrat for an hour with the moderator's approval

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

Brown is absolutely someone who should be primaried, if for no other reasons than she cooperated with Republicans and took their funds to ensure Turner didn't win the primary and the corruption allegations. By no means an exhaustive list though.

I'm not arguing against that. Just explaining what her stated reasoning was because another poster said they have no idea why she did that.

Brown's official positions are basically identical to Turner except on Israel, so the CPC didn't vote in favor of a primary and Jayapal says she endorses incumbents unless they have a primary challenger supported by the CPC. That was her stated reason for why she endorsed Turner first and then endorsed Brown the second time around.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus, I keep thinking about the midterms and this is going to be an absolute (and well deserved) bloodbath. Like scorched earth retribution. I wonder what kind of odds I can get on Trump winning in 2024

If the Republicans win the midterms, whoever the candidate will win 100%. They're going to vote to certify the Republican in the presidental count, like they tried to in 2020.

Dems will sue, 6-3 Supreme court decision says the house can overrule the voters and the electoral college, and now you need to hold the house to win the presidency.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Brown's official positions are basically identical to Turner except on Israel, so the CPC didn't vote in favor of a primary and Jayapal says she endorses incumbents unless they have a primary challenger supported by the CPC. That was her stated reason for why she endorsed Turner first and then endorsed Brown the second time around.

Has Brown now adopted M4A or has Turner now spurned it?

eta lol:

quote:

I will work with the Biden-Harris Administration to pass a high-quality public option that will lower costs, drive down prescription drug costs, and expand coverage to achieve universal health care. I believe a public option that President Biden supports is the fastest and most immediate mechanism to get there. I would vote for Medicare for All if it came to the House floor.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 14, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Class3KillStorm posted:

MSNBC has never hosted a Presidential debate and CNN has only ever had a host on one (Anderson Cooper co-hosted the second debate in 2016 with ABC).

Ironically, Fox News has been by far the network with the most moderators.

It's mostly just a "working the refs" thing rather than an MSNBC or CNN specific thing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Meatball posted:

If the Republicans win the midterms, whoever the candidate will win 100%. They're going to vote to certify the Republican in the presidental count, like they tried to in 2020.

Dems will sue, 6-3 Supreme court decision says the house can overrule the voters and the electoral college, and now you need to hold the house to win the presidency.

Under that scenario, you essentially create a parliamentary system with a very powerful executive. That would be a wild rear end change; such a maneuver would undo the very foundations of the government.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Has Brown now adopted M4A or has Turner now spurned it?

eta lol:

That's why I said "official" positions.

I don't know what the point of Jayapal's endorsement policy is. Endorsing is supposed to be a sign of approval or preference, but if you endorsed Turner first and then say you only endorsed Brown because of a policy for supporting incumbents, then it's not really an endorsement is it? It just makes you look silly or indicates that your endorsement doesn't mean anything about preferences and is just part of a box ticking policy.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If we're speculating about which states might be going first, it might be worth noting that Tom Perez, while setting himself up for his current run for governor of Maryland, was overtly hostile to Iowa and New Hampshire being first in the nation.

Perez in an NYT interview from Feb 2021 posted:

Should Iowa and New Hampshire keep going first in the presidential nominating process?

That will be up to the D.N.C.’s Rules and Bylaws Committee.

I’m aware. But what does the private citizen Tom Perez think?

A diverse state or states need to be first. The difference between going first and going third is really important. We know the importance of momentum in Democratic primaries.

I’ll try one more time. Could you make a case for defending Iowa and New Hampshire going first?

The status quo is clearly unacceptable. To simply say, “Let’s just continue doing this because this is how we’ve always done it,” well, Iowa started going as an early caucus state, I believe, in 1972. The world has changed a lot since 1972 to 2020 and 2024. And so the notion that we need to do it because this is how we’ve always done it is a woefully insufficient justification for going first again.

This is the Democratic Party of 2020. It’s different from the Democratic Party in how we were in 1972. And we need to reflect that change. And so I am confident that the status quo is not going to survive.

(link) Maryland is much, much less white than Iowa and New Hampshire.

Regarding weed, I think it's worth referencing the actual statements in the party platform if we're going to talk about what's supported/done/in the works/abandoned and so on.

quote:

Substance use disorders are diseases, not crimes. Democrats believe no one should be in prison solely because they use drugs. Democrats will decriminalize marijuana use and reschedule it through executive action on the federal level. We will support legalization of medical marijuana, and believe states should be able to make their own decisions about recreational use. The Justice Department should not launch federal prosecutions of conduct that is legal at the state level. All past criminal convictions for cannabis use should be automatically expunged. And rather than involving the criminal justice system, Democrats support increased use of drug courts, harm reduction interventions, and treatment diversion programs for those struggling with substance use disorders.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Iowa also objects and cites a state law that requires they hold a caucus and be the first in the nation.

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but how does Iowa passing a state law allow them to dictate what another state can and can't do? How does that prevent RI from going first? :decorum:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Velocity Raptor posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but how does Iowa passing a state law allow them to dictate what another state can and can't do? How does that prevent RI from going first? :decorum:?

It means Iowa's secretary of state has to schedule it first, but the RNC or DNC don't have to recognize it or award delegates based on the result.