Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Arivia posted:

Ed has confirmed that yes, those kinds of characters do exist in the FR, but none are documented. My personal guess is that Brian the Swordmaster is one of them, since that name sticks out like a sore thumb (the other explanation being one of the players in the Company of Crazed Venturers really mailing it in at character creation).

Thank you for the answer!

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Brian

4 Levels in Fighter, 16 levels in Expert. Something tells me his title's a bit misleading unless it's like Knowledge (swords) lol

Edit: Apologies for any derails, I don't mind moving the topic elsewhere

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Libertad! posted:

Thank you for the answer!

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Brian

4 Levels in Fighter, 16 levels in Expert. Something tells me his title's a bit misleading unless it's like Knowledge (swords) lol

Edit: Apologies for any derails, I don't mind moving the topic elsewhere

Could be Craft (weaponsmithing) and he makes really good swords too.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

OtspIII posted:

My personal hot take is that orcs are the worst mainstream fantasy species. The more I think about them, the more their theming just comes off as "humans, but okay to kill".

That's their origin. JRR Tolkien, an avowed Catholic, made the orcs as a race born without parents and without a soul, to have an antagonist that it was OK to kill without thinking too hard. But again, devout Christian. So when fans would ask him questions like, "What about an orc raised by humans as a baby" or "Is God truly incapable of saving them" he'd fold and admit that, fine, maybe there isn't a race, real or fictional, it's OK to genocide.

Eberron remains the best: There is no species it's OK to kill, you're supposed to fight cults and terrorists and the rich.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

There is no species it's OK to kill, you're supposed to fight cults and terrorists and the rich.
"Cults and terrorists" still sounds pretty bad. :v:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Siivola posted:

"Cults and terrorists" still sounds pretty bad. :v:

It's a pulp adventure setting, these are cults and terrorists who are unabashedly evil and mostly killing people for the sake of killing people.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The entry-level antagonist faction in Eberron is a far-right paramilitary cult of personality disowned by their parent government for war crimes.

That's the kind of terrorism you're likely to run into in that setting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's a shame D&D never did more interesting stuff with Eberron's Shifters, at least not that I know of.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

OtspIII posted:

My personal hot take is that orcs are the worst mainstream fantasy species. The more I think about them, the more their theming just comes off as "humans, but okay to kill".

There are some takes on them that can be pretty fun and go beyond that, like Warhammer, but they seem much more like the exception and not the rule.

lately there's been a definite shift towards orcs as the "dudes rock" species of just a bunch of big cool guys who like to hang out and do guy things together, and I like that take on them

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mystic Mongol posted:

That's their origin. JRR Tolkien, an avowed Catholic, made the orcs as a race born without parents and without a soul, to have an antagonist that it was OK to kill without thinking too hard. But again, devout Christian. So when fans would ask him questions like, "What about an orc raised by humans as a baby" or "Is God truly incapable of saving them" he'd fold and admit that, fine, maybe there isn't a race, real or fictional, it's OK to genocide.

Eberron remains the best: There is no species it's OK to kill, you're supposed to fight cults and terrorists and the rich.

Tolkien's orcs are also irredeemably, metaphysically corrupted by Absolute Evil. D&D's orcs started out the same way, but got increasingly humanized as editions went on while keeping them in the same antagonist slot which, obviously doesn't work. 5e tried to revive this very useful idea of "smart, self-aware, relatively organized, Unquestionably Evil Things It's Okay To Kill" by making gnolls demon-spawn who literally "lack anything resembling a conscience" and "can't be taught or coerced to put aside its destructive tendencies," but people got Very Mad Online about that too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I really loved Pratchett's take on Orcs, where it turns out that they were artificially created from humans and driven into battle by an evil overlord and have been persecuted ever since, and the one Orc we meet is a sensitive genius who has a charming romantic subplot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kestral posted:

Tolkien's orcs are also irredeemably, metaphysically corrupted by Absolute Evil. D&D's orcs started out the same way, but got increasingly humanized as editions went on while keeping them in the same antagonist slot which, obviously doesn't work. 5e tried to revive this very useful idea of "smart, self-aware, relatively organized, Unquestionably Evil Things It's Okay To Kill" by making gnolls demon-spawn who literally "lack anything resembling a conscience" and "can't be taught or coerced to put aside its destructive tendencies," but people got Very Mad Online about that too.

Yeah because Gnolls rule and species all being auto-evil sucks, even demons and devils.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They should just throw out the concept of good and evil. It's metaphysically shaky to begin with in a universe with multiple gods. Elemental Good and Evil doesn't really work unless your in a monotheist universe where someone can define what good is

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
D&D cosmology is this incredibly weird thing where Good and Evil are, like, wave-particles that don't necessarily correspond to anyone's idea of ethics.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kestral posted:

Tolkien's orcs are also irredeemably, metaphysically corrupted by Absolute Evil.
This is also how the conquistadors justified plundering the Americas, triggering an extended religious argument on whether non-white people have souls or not.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Golbins are my friends.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

D&D cosmology is this incredibly weird thing where Good and Evil are, like, wave-particles that don't necessarily correspond to anyone's idea of ethics.

I kind of like that tbh

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

Motherfuckers closed down the Evil Electric Power Plant, and it's 100% because they don't like the name. All that poo poo about it turning the frogs dire is just fossil fuel company propaganda. Meanwhile the coal power plant they opened to replace it is somehow "clean" because the coal comes from Mount Celestia. Who cares what plane the fuel is from? It's still dumping carcinogens into the air, guys!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Andrast posted:

I kind of like that tbh
It could be an interesting setup up if, say, the war at the dawn of creation ended with these gods taking the Blue Energy Planes and the other ones taking the Red Energy Planes, and they've just been enforcing that dichotomy ever since, and it's all actually political. Epic-level PCs will figure out that it's all a racket.

But instead we got what we got, which is not coherent or very useful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kestral posted:

I think it would have been more successful if they picked one of the existing Really Evil humanoids instead of gnolls, which are just “monstrous tribals” so there was already some flexibility in their portrayals. Nothics or meazels or something.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

Motherfuckers closed down the Evil Electric Power Plant, and it's 100% because they don't like the name. All that poo poo about it turning the frogs dire is just fossil fuel company propaganda. Meanwhile the coal power plant they opened to replace it is somehow "clean" because the coal comes from Mount Celestia. Who cares what plane the fuel is from? It's still dumping carcinogens into the air, guys!

The entire multiverse is actually just the business bits of a good/evil reactor being used by a higher dimension to generate power.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Honest, in my opinion all they really need to do to fix alignment is acknowledge that it's complete nonsense that only exists to give the game a fun D&D vibe. These gnolls are chaotic evil 90% of the time because they're just kind of violent assholes, but that's not worth killing them or anything. These demons are chaotic evil 90% of the time because they're secreted from the Evil Hole. There is no contradiction, because there is no actual system to contradict. Just a series of vibes that your party feels out for themselves.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Alignment is, Gygaxianly, a mess: (from the 1e DMG)

So, alignments are called out explicitly as abstractions that are simplistic and real people will contain multitudes, and also everything is culturally subjective and it's up to the DM to determine what is right and wrong

But also every character knows a secret language that only their alignment speaks and only in the company of other like minded individuals of the same species and which can only communicate ideas related to that alignment

And also every character secretly serves the gods of that alignment, and will be punished for deviating from their deity's proscriptions whether they know them or not

And also you can't shift alignment severely unless magic or insanity are involved, and it happening often will keep your character at such a low level as to make them unplayable

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Alignment is, Gygaxianly, a mess: (from the 1e DMG)

So, alignments are called out explicitly as abstractions that are simplistic and real people will contain multitudes, and also everything is culturally subjective and it's up to the DM to determine what is right and wrong

I wonder what prompted him to add the Evil/Good axis to the alignment system in the first place. The original system only had Order and Chaos, which are concepts that are a lot more universal than good and evil and fit into the fantasy setting a lot better.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
also getting paid to kill people is verily perforce held to be the antithesis of weal

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Siivola posted:

This is also how the conquistadors justified plundering the Americas, triggering an extended religious argument on whether non-white people have souls or not.
If I recall one article I read correctly, this was hilariously mirrored by some of the people they were plundering, who knew for a fact that the conquistadors had souls because come on EVERYTHING has souls, but experimented in holding them underwater to see if they would drown because they weren't sure if they were humans or just human-shaped. 'These are humans, but do they have souls?' vs 'These have souls, but are they humans?'

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is an endless supply of white men. There has always been a limited number of human beings.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I really loved Pratchett's take on Orcs, where it turns out that they were artificially created from humans and driven into battle by an evil overlord and have been persecuted ever since, and the one Orc we meet is a sensitive genius who has a charming romantic subplot.

Huh. Which book had orcs in it? I’m totally blanking.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Unseen Academicals.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just Winging It posted:

Unseen Academicals.

The football one? I think I missed that one for brain dead reasons.

Thanks.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Xiahou Dun posted:

The football one? I think I missed that one for brain dead reasons.

Thanks.

Unseen Academicals is not a very good book by Pratchett standards so it's totally fair to give it a pass.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Unseen Academicals is not a very good book by Pratchett standards so it's totally fair to give it a pass.

Yeah, the uh progression of his books towards the end was really depressing, for pretty obvious reasons.

I grabbed Raising Steam when it came out, which has some pretty severe issues, but it was still good enough to kind of make me forget things. There was this constant nagging feeling of, "Huh, this isn't as tight as his usual stuff, almost like he didn't give it another pass in edit- O. Yeah. :smith:"

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
This was pages ago but the pairing of these two posts back to back tickled me

GimpInBlack posted:

Years later she somehow stumbled on the infamous Dead Alewives "I'm attacking the darkness!" skit with the note "Please tell me this is not what you're doing when you play that game," so I think she realized it was all a bit silly.

HopperUK posted:

I got into the only face-to-face DnD group I've ever had because my sister watched the episodes of Community about DnD and got interested, so I agreed to run it for her and some friends and we ended up having an amazing time. So I am in favour of it being on TV. Though I think those Community episodes are pretty accurate to what DnD is like, at least filtered through the sitcom lens of everything being extreme.

Dead Ale Wives Wiki Page posted:

Dan Harmon was the creator and writer of the "Dungeons and Dragons" sketch, also known as "Summoner Geeks". In the late 1990s, he moved to Los Angeles with Schrab, where the two launched a career as screenwriting partners. Harmon was the creator of the TV series Community.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bewilderment posted:

I mean, it was the first one I read so I have a soft spot for it.

And even a not very good Pratchett is still pretty good when it comes to fantasy novel.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fez_machine posted:

This was pages ago but the pairing of these two posts back to back tickled me

I mean, both the Dead Alewives skit and the Community episode are silly hyperbole of D&D sessions with dysfunctional groups of weirdos, even if they technically are more grounded in facts about how the game is played. The "I attack the darkness!!" or later weirding out a girl who tries to join in bits in the Dead Alewives stuff aren't any more out there than like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgu_-rR1X8

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 15, 2022

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The last few Discworld books get really rough and unengaging. Fortunately, The Shepherd's Crown (the very last one) is quite excellent, though I'd assume given the contrast between it and Raising Steam that someone from Pratchett's circle of friends acted as a secret co-writer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm conflicted about the last few books because while the writing definitely falls off a cliff and reminds me on every other page of Sir Pratchett's terrible decline, Raising Steam also contains one of my favorite discworld characters ever, Of the Twilight the Darkness the goblin. If I remember right, he has cameos in one or two of the following books as well.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Maybe the real TG industry was the goons making me cry about Terry Pratchett we made along the way :(

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

sasha_d3ath posted:

Maybe the real TG industry was the goons making me cry about Terry Pratchett we made along the way :(

Shepards Crown definitely got me. :unsmith:

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Shepards Crown definitely got me. :unsmith:

I can't imagine there are many it didn't get, at least if they'd been following the world/author for any amount of time. It's a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Roadie posted:

The last few Discworld books get really rough and unengaging. Fortunately, The Shepherd's Crown (the very last one) is quite excellent, though I'd assume given the contrast between it and Raising Steam that someone from Pratchett's circle of friends acted as a secret co-writer.

Not really a secret, by that time he was leaning on Rich Wilkins more and more.