Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

So I'm looking for a realistic sports manga/anime, preferrably not baseball.
My favourites are (in order): Baby Steps, Haikyuu, Ping Pong. I've also liked Hikaru No Go, Chihayafuru, Hajime no Ippo.
I've also read some of Eyeshield 21 and Touch, but never finished them.

Alternatively, a manga/anime where someone gets really deep into a non-musical endeavor. My favourite of which is Silver Spoon. Other examples (which either I didn't really like) are Bakuman, Shirobako.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kiminewt posted:

My favourites are (in order): Baby Steps, Haikyuu, Ping Pong. I've also liked Hikaru No Go, Chihayafuru, Hajime no Ippo.

Alternatively, a manga/anime where someone gets really deep into a non-musical endeavor. My favourite of which is Silver Spoon. Other examples (which either I didn't really like) are Bakuman, Shirobako.

RRR for boxing and I can't recall the name, but the Golden Kamuy author wrote what appeared to be a really solid hockey manga.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

kiminewt posted:

Run With the Wind

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kiminewt posted:

Doesn't really get as much depth as most of the series you mentioned since it's only 12 episodes, but Re-Main is a solid narrative about growth, both in terms of ability and character.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That Works posted:

Run With the Wind

I cannot endorse Run With The Wind enough.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Started Running With the Wind and Supinamarada (the hockey one, since I like Golden Kamuy). Let's see how it goes. "Running" being set in a University is slightly refreshing

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kiminewt posted:

For manga, you'd probably like Real by Takehiko Inoue.

You might also enjoy March comes in like a Lion, which i would recommend the anime for.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kiminewt posted:

Hanebado

Kind of short but it has good drama and is really pretty.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kiminewt posted:

Since you enjoyed Ping Pong if nothing else you should try hitting up the Aim For the Ace movie which was no doubt an influence on Ping Pong's style.

And while you said preferably not baseball I am gonna throw out Major as a rec because it's the rare sports anime that manages to go through multiple phases of the protagonist's sports life. From playing in the little leagues as a kid to playing in the major leagues as an adult (and everything in-between so it also deserves props for acknowledging that minor league sports exist!).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibblebibble posted:

I cannot endorse Run With The Wind enough.
:yeah:
You might check out Giant Killing for more non-highschool sports, and Gurazeni is baseball but it follows a pro player and is more like a slice of life covering other aspects of being a pro beyond just playing the game (the MC is very focused on his paycheck).

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

kiminewt posted:

Teppu (about women's MMA)

Bambino (about making Italian food)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Julias posted:

For manga, you'd probably like Real by Takehiko Inoue.

You might also enjoy March comes in like a Lion, which i would recommend the anime for.

Strongly seconding these too.

e: also Rookies, baseball manga. Fun one but a bit dated now.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Is Baki based on that manga where they have some kind of fighting competition on an ocean cruiser? Because I started watching it, and I don't remember the manga being this brutal. Maybe it was a different manga. Also, how is Promare? Looks interesting.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Promare is a lot of fun; I saw it in the theater and tbh a lot of the visuals were kind of overwhelming in that I couldn't always follow exactly where the action was but it was fun to just kinda absorb it all. I've probably enjoyed the fan content it generated more than the actual movie in the end but it's a good time overall.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wrong thread

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

As an audio/visual spectacle, promare is great

The writing feels very "overpraised for achieving baseline competence" to me but I might just be a grump. It's not bad

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Promare is extremely Trigger, writing included. Like, anyone who really knows Trigger could predict everything that happens from beginning to end. Which is fine, and it's worth watching for the animation anyway. It's also pretty gay, for anime at least, but that's not exactly new territory for Trigger either.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's extremely par for the course wrt shonen anime homoeroticism, even when it comes to most of the marketing

the hype around the whole thing definitely let me down when it's just a fine somewhat stylish movie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
calling something pretty gay for anime as a qualifier feels to me like, a statement born from not watching a lot of anime

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It definitely got proportionally more buzz on social media, but I think it comes down to onscreen lip contact being much harder to dismiss than the usual fare.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't remember if it was a kiss or CPR gomennasai

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it was cpr so basically a lesser version of what Fairy Ranmaru would go on to do

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
You know what I meant, guys... it just goes slightly harder on the subtext than most mainstream anime films. Which is something that often goes over my head in any case, but the gay guys I know definitely noticed and appreciated it in this case.

But whatever, just watch it for the visual spectacle and it's a good use of a couple hours.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the pedestrian gay content in promare does not pass muster in this subforum

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

busalover posted:

Is Baki based on that manga where they have some kind of fighting competition on an ocean cruiser? Because I started watching it, and I don't remember the manga being this brutal. Maybe it was a different manga. Also, how is Promare? Looks interesting.

Hunter x Hunter had an early fighting arc on a passenger ship.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been watching Kuroku Basketball with my roommate and laughing my rear end off at how extremely dramatic they've made high-school basketball and the incredible engrish in the season 2 opener. As an inverse to the request upthread about a "realistic" sports anime, are there any good ones that go hard on the "Shonen tournament arc but sports" with ridiculous special techniques and brooding warrior poet 16 year olds talking about how the weak must be crushed by the strong.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eyeshield 21.

E: The anime's pretty bad compared to the manga though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

I've been watching Kuroku Basketball with my roommate and laughing my rear end off at how extremely dramatic they've made high-school basketball and the incredible engrish in the season 2 opener. As an inverse to the request upthread about a "realistic" sports anime, are there any good ones that go hard on the "Shonen tournament arc but sports" with ridiculous special techniques and brooding warrior poet 16 year olds talking about how the weak must be crushed by the strong.

The Prince of Tennis is the prime example of this. Everyone knows about Tezuka killing the dinosaurs but here's another clip from the same movie where they're playing a match on a ship that starts to sink in the middle:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1269823875732275200/pu/vid/720x406/1ju28N-kNXrNrB5V.mp4

It's a long series with a lot of non tennis comedic filler, but the filler is generally more hit than miss.

And fair warning, it's an anime from 2001 and the simulcast subs are pretty spotty in availability and the fansubs read terribly. Funimation announced they picked up the license last year and maybe they'll finish catching up on the series soon?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Eyeshield 21.

E: The anime's pretty bad compared to the manga though.

It’s...hard to watch if you know a lot about football.

Eyeshield 21: this character tackles people by lowering his head and ramming the ball carrier!
Every Football Player: *screams in terror*

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I have not seen Inazuma Eleven but this Twitter thread sounds extremely promising

https://twitter.com/hayabusahideki/status/1501743205137543173?s=21

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AnoHito posted:

It’s...hard to watch if you know a lot about football.

Eyeshield 21: this character tackles people by lowering his head and ramming the ball carrier!
Every Football Player: *screams in terror*

See that's the kind of stuff I'm after. I'd watch a hockey anime where the writers had heard about enforcers and decided that it meant they initiated fights with lumberjack chops and flying high kicks.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

Hanebado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JRxTgIlnqs

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Keijo!!!!!!!! if you don't mind made up sports.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Saki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ah9LigUV40

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arc Hammer posted:

saki starts out as "weird girl is really good at mahjong but chooses to be mediocre" and ends with "four girls are at a table with a girl who is so good at mahjong she cannot be beaten, she moves her hands like a monster and crushes the opposition without remorse. one of the girls is a clever strategist formulating plans with the other three girls to survive against the first girl. one girl can play incredibly well if she thinks of the mahjong stacks like a mountain because she grew up in the mountains. one girl has powers of time sight and can see into the future but every turn further she looks causes her greater fatigue and if she fatigues herself too much she will die."

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the best saki antagonist is clearly the american girl whose power is a thinly veiled excuse to draw the cast as old west gunslingers

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that saki episode where the girl has to push her future sight power to the limit is the most intense match I've seen in a sports anime. i forget if it's in season 1 or achiga-hen

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

busalover posted:

The manga you're thinking of might be Kengan Asura (though possibly not as the brutality level varies wildly, one of the fights after the ocean liner bit has the fighters blinding each other)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for an anime that has someone in the cast characterized mainly by being somewhat of a casual lover/playboy type. Kind of a casanova type. Not like someone who tries explicitly to run up the score or is out to hurt others, but more just someone who's noncommittal and sorta casual about it. Possibly due to commitment issues or just not wanting to get hurt, that kinda thing. No high schoolers or anything taking place in high school please :)

I'd prefer something with a manageable length, like someone recommended Fairy Tail to me (because of Loke) but that's 328 episodes so it's a bit of a commitment, plus all the clips I could find of Loke were all about the cool fights and none of the character stuff I'm looking for. Kind of a similar situation with that same person recommending Bleach (because of Ichigo and Orihime).

Moodwise I'm looking for anything from playful-ish (like Fairy Tail appears to be) to serious and somber. Hope there's something like that out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for an anime that has someone in the cast characterized mainly by being somewhat of a casual lover/playboy type. Kind of a casanova type. Not like someone who tries explicitly to run up the score or is out to hurt others, but more just someone who's noncommittal and sorta casual about it. Possibly due to commitment issues or just not wanting to get hurt, that kinda thing. No high schoolers or anything taking place in high school please :)

I'd prefer something with a manageable length, like someone recommended Fairy Tail to me (because of Loke) but that's 328 episodes so it's a bit of a commitment, plus all the clips I could find of Loke were all about the cool fights and none of the character stuff I'm looking for. Kind of a similar situation with that same person recommending Bleach (because of Ichigo and Orihime).

Moodwise I'm looking for anything from playful-ish (like Fairy Tail appears to be) to serious and somber. Hope there's something like that out there!

Nana. Like, 75% of the cast are beautiful people with attachment issues.