Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

My analogue pocket arrived... and since there's no jailbreak ~yet~ which flashcart should I be looking into grabbing for GB/GBC stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MarcusSA posted:

So my steam deck will deffo be here before my Odin and I'm for sure not regretting getting it now,

:bang:

This is why I continue to insist that there's more to these devices than impressive pre-release specs. "Why would you buy [weak but proven handheld] when [new thing promising the moon for cheap] is coming out" is a refrain I've heard time and time again, and it's amazing how many times it's just demonstrated why the weak-but-proven handheld is proven.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

zenintrude posted:

My analogue pocket arrived... and since there's no jailbreak ~yet~ which flashcart should I be looking into grabbing for GB/GBC stuff

With a couple of caveats, I recommend picking yourself up an EZFlash Jr. with a fast microSD. The biggest drawback being that it won't work unless you update it with this beta firmware from https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-junior-testflight.558875/page-55#post-9638149 and you almost certainly need original hardware around to do that. (The other notable problems: needing to use fatdrivesort like a caveman, no super gameboy compatibility without a hack.)

Truthfully there aren't a lot of options with current Everdrives being out of stock and temporarily out of production. Aliexpress has clones, but I think just of the old model.

You can also throw GB/C roms at this site https://retropatcher.jonabrams.com/ and where patches have been written, it'll convert them to a .pocket format to work in the Pocket's GB Studio mode.

Manky fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 13, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Manufacturers haven’t topped the rg280v yet :colbert:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do you guys think that actual cool things will come out for the Playdate?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it's truly the sexiest in class bar none

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

obi_ant posted:

The fact that they have a web-based game editor designed to be easy to use in addition to a full SDK available means I think there'll be a low barrier to entry to making stuff for it, the highest bar to clear ironically being getting your hands on a Playdate with the current manufacturing and shipping issues. The hardware obviously has limitations in what it's going to be able to do in terms of games but that's not inherently a bad thing. I think a good analogue here is something like Pico-8 which is intentionally limited but still has a number of really cool games made for it.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

beer gas canister posted:

it's truly the sexiest in class bar none

eh i think the Miyoo Mini is a way better looking handheld in that form factor

havent played either but it looks more comfortable too

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The 351v in wood grain is sexier than both of those combined

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Mini is really a different size class to the 351v, it’s way less than 1/3 of the overall size. And twice the resolution of the 280v.

It’s a brilliant little device with the Onion custom firmware - it’s near instant to jump in and out of different games on different systems, far quicker than any other device I own (v90, 351p, 552). It’s become my main “pick up and play” device, while I only use the others (552 mainly) for things it can’t run.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think the RG351MP and the Miyoo Mini are both better than it. They're my two favorite emulation handhelds, actually... the more powerful ones all make a few too many compromises in comfort, build quality, interface or general wonkiness (like the Odin's aforementioned 61hz screen) to be worth their higher asking prices for me. I'd love to have good portable N64, Dreamcast and PSP, but I'm willing to wait for a device that can do them right.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A portable PlayStation Portable, you say

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

The Lucas Pope game will make it worth it on it's own :shrug:

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
The second someone makes snake that controls using the crank it’s over for most other consoles tbh

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I would play Snake-with-rewind.

Are Miyoo’s still hard to find? I think I’m ready to buy.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Rolo posted:

Are Miyoo’s still hard to find? I think I’m ready to buy.

Official Miyoo store on Aliexpress was just restocked a couple days ago. Looks like stock went from like 1000 to around 200 in that time so they might not be there for long.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003611677275.html

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh god which color do I want oh man…

Edit: I was leaning towards the retro grey and that’s all they have so trigger pulled. I didn’t realize these are only 60 bucks when from the actual store, that’s a no brainer. I love my 351V but why not have something a little smaller in my day bag.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 13, 2022

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

kirbysuperstar posted:

now listen here

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have a good case for their miyoo mini?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RGC has said in the past that playing card cases are really good for the Mini since it's about the same size as a deck of cards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

RGC has said in the past that playing card cases are really good for the Mini since it's about the same size as a deck of cards.

lol I never even realized that. I’ll check Amazon for a neoprene one

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I think this is the one RGC recommended specifically:

https://www.amazon.com/Luck-Lab-Single-Leather-Playing/dp/B07ZG58CYN/

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

kirbysuperstar posted:

I mean if we can have a non portable PlayStation Vita I can't see why not?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

drrockso20 posted:

I mean if we can have a non portable PlayStation Vita I can't see why not?

I can't fault this logic

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Rolo posted:

Oh god which color do I want oh man…

Edit: I was leaning towards the retro grey and that’s all they have so trigger pulled. I didn’t realize these are only 60 bucks when from the actual store, that’s a no brainer. I love my 351V but why not have something a little smaller in my day bag.

re: miyoo mini

Could you post when it's shipped? I ordered from someone that said they had stock in the US about a month ago and I've had a 'label created' tracking number for 2 weeks now. Thinking about cutting my losses and ordering from Miyoo Official.

Also, looks like they just got more stock, white and grey.

Not sure if it was mentioned but Miyoo notes the new stock are slightly different to past models:

- Full Lamination Screen
- 2000mAh Double Protection High Density Polymer Battery

The screen thing is odd because I've read in other places the old version had a laminated screen as well.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 14, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The old screen was pretty regularly dinged for being "foggy", whatever that means

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

CRAYON posted:

re: miyoo mini

Could you post when it's shipped? I ordered from someone that said they had stock in the US about a month ago and I've had a 'label created' tracking number for 2 weeks now. Thinking about cutting my losses and ordering from Miyoo Official.

Also, looks like they just got more stock, white and grey.

Not sure if it was mentioned but Miyoo notes the new stock are slightly different to past models:

- Full Lamination Screen
- 2000mAh Double Protection High Density Polymer Battery

The screen thing is odd because I've read in other places the old version had a laminated screen as well.

My Miyoo mini shipped within 24 hours of putting in the aliexpress order. It’s on the slow boat from China estimated for like, early May but that’s no surprise for aliexpress.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I had been trying to get a Miyoo mini for my stepson as a birthday present since early March. I had a couple different orders placed, but the ship date kept getting pushed out, but I finally got one that shows as "shipped" now, but it's just label created, just like CRAYON.

Of course, this happened right as I decided to upgrade him to a 351P, so I may have an unnecessary mini in the near future. The 351P should be delivered today.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I ended up taking the plunge and ordering a RP2+ upgrade PCB a week or two back. I was looking around on the retroid Reddit and saw some posts complaining it’s difficult to use without the touch screen upgrade. It never bothered me on the base RP2. Is this is a real issue? Between reading that and the long wait times I’m starting to think I might want to just upgrade to something more readily available.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GoodApollo posted:

I ended up taking the plunge and ordering a RP2+ upgrade PCB a week or two back. I was looking around on the retroid Reddit and saw some posts complaining it’s difficult to use without the touch screen upgrade. It never bothered me on the base RP2. Is this is a real issue? Between reading that and the long wait times I’m starting to think I might want to just upgrade to something more readily available.

I have a non-touchscreen RP2+ and its a little extra to work get around the touchscreen stuff at first. You just use the virtual mouse interface like the RP2 had. But once you get everything settled in, you hardly need the touchscreen.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

GoodApollo posted:

You are going to want to plug in a USB mouse when you first power on and set up because it immediately asks you to configure the sticks. That's the biggest drawback I had installing.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Surprise new Anbernic device announced. Looks really nice.

https://youtu.be/o_nJpKKaPzY

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

The video’s gone private. What was it?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Humongous Pear posted:

Anbernic 503. Russ liked his first impressions of it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Humongous Pear posted:

An Anbernic device with the Vita's OLED screen. Simiarly underpowered as other recent Anbernic devices, though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It heavily depends on the price, if it's under £100 I'll probably grab it but the big thing in that video for me is that they sent pre-release units to custom firmware people. If they're embracing the CFW stuff that's pretty interesting.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone got a screenshot of it? All I’m finding online is speculative stuff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Russ posted a photo on his community tab. Apparently Anbernic asked him to take down the first impressions video since they haven't actually announced the thing formally yet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

is it smart to keep upping the display/res on the same underpowered chip? i'm not sure what's going to be able to take advantage of that larger screen and widescreen ratio, especially if PSP is still a struggle for it (i guess the Shovel Knight port would look good). still, the vita OLED was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t know why some companies are going widescreen when their devices can’t handle those consoles yet, let alone the rest of the 4:3 ones.