Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah, no one is going to try and put a conservatorship on her. The current whisper campaign is as aggressive as her colleagues are going to get. And the more she decays the more powerful her staffers become, so they have no incentive to do anything about her decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's pretty clear what's left of Feinstein's brain is hard set on maintaining her political power until she turns to dust, and she has plenty of money to surround herself with handlers who can answer questions for her and play off any obvious dementia symptoms. And yeah she's way too high up in the DNC power structure for the Dems to actually rally to force her out. Even if she wasn't she's an extremely long serving member of the party and they probably figure it would be poor optics to push one of their own out the door, particularly given she was just widowed as well.

If Newsom does get to appoint a successor for whatever reason - she finally dies or her mental state deteriorates even further to the point that she can't even function day-to-day - it would be interesting to see what he does. He pledged to nominate a black woman for Kamala's seat but then reversed and appointed a male political ally to a not-insignificant amount of backlash.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sydin posted:

He pledged to nominate a black woman for Kamala's seat but then reversed and appointed a male political ally to a not-insignificant amount of backlash.

I can't wait for him to fulfill this promise by appointing London Breed

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Sydin posted:

It's pretty clear what's left of Feinstein's brain is hard set on maintaining her political power until she turns to dust, and she has plenty of money to surround herself with handlers who can answer questions for her and play off any obvious dementia symptoms. And yeah she's way too high up in the DNC power structure for the Dems to actually rally to force her out. Even if she wasn't she's an extremely long serving member of the party and they probably figure it would be poor optics to push one of their own out the door, particularly given she was just widowed as well.

If Newsom does get to appoint a successor for whatever reason - she finally dies or her mental state deteriorates even further to the point that she can't even function day-to-day - it would be interesting to see what he does. He pledged to nominate a black woman for Kamala's seat but then reversed and appointed a male political ally to a not-insignificant amount of backlash.

Newsom didn't make a commitment when the vacancy for Kamala Harris' seat came up, but he pledged to appoint an African American woman to replace Feinstein if a vacancy comes up due to the backlash that he received from appointing Padilla.

There aren't really too many prominent candidates available that would meet this criteria. I would probably bet money on Newsom nominating London Breed to replace Feinstein if he has the option to choose. I've stated multiple times in this thread that Barbara Lee would make a fantastic Senator, but other prominent African American elected officials who could get nominated are LA County Supervisor Holly J. Mitchell, former Mayor of Compton Aja Brown, Karen Bass if she doesn't become Mayor of LA, and Sydney Kamlager - who is a current State Senator that is also running for Congress.

Bodhidharma fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 15, 2022

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Hey isn't there supposed to be an election for Governor this November? Does the GOP even have a candidate??? I haven't heard a single thing

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bodhidharma posted:

Newsom didn't make a commitment when the vacancy for Kamala Harris' seat came up, but he pledged to appoint an African American woman to replace Feinstein if a vacancy comes up due to the backlash that he received from appointing Padilla.

There aren't really too many prominent candidates available that would meet this criteria. I would probably bet money on Newsom nominating London Breed to replace Feinstein if he has the option to choose. I've stated multiple times in this thread that Barbara Lee would make a fantastic Senator, but other prominent African American elected officials who could get nominated are LA County Supervisor Holly J. Mitchell, former Mayor of Compton Aja Brown, Karen Bass if she doesn't become Mayor of LA, and Sydney Kamlager - who is a current State Senator that is also running for Congress.

Oh I got mixed up, my bad. Still funny that the Dems made a ton of fanfare out of the first black, first female VP and meanwhile Newsom just quietly slid in a friend of his to replace an outgoing black female senator with little to no regard to idpol optics.

Barbara Lee would be a great replacement, probably too good for Newsom to actually pick, lol.

Trazz posted:

Hey isn't there supposed to be an election for Governor this November? Does the GOP even have a candidate??? I haven't heard a single thing

All three of the high profile Republican guys (Faulconer, Cox, Elder) declined to run. The only R running I even remotely recognize is Brian Dahle, a state senator and former minority leader who's claim to fame is being a bi-partisan reach across the isler type so he's not exactly going to get the Trump crowd that turned out for Elder all that excited. Honestly it kinda seems like the recall failure completely deflated any and all conservative voter enthusiasm in the state, at least for now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Seriously, what about the RBG debacle convinced anyone that people like Feinstein will ever abandon their precious power? They consider it their divine right to occupy their seat until death.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Barbara Lee is great, but she's in her seventies. He'll pick someone younger and way more corrupt. Breed seems like the obvious choice.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

Oh I got mixed up, my bad. Still funny that the Dems made a ton of fanfare out of the first black, first female VP and meanwhile Newsom just quietly slid in a friend of his to replace an outgoing black female senator with little to no regard to idpol optics.

it's almost as if the only reason she got the VP slot was so they could do that

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Sydin posted:

Maybe, just maybe, he should appoint someone who pledges to serve out the term as a placeholder and let California voters decide who they want in an election, especially since Newsom has already appointed one senator, essentially for life? Once you're appointed and then an incumbent, re-election is almost a lock. Looks like there's been only one open election for California senate seats since 1992, Harris in 2016.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
machine politics ftw.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Barbara Lee is great, but she's in her seventies. He'll pick someone younger and way more corrupt. Breed seems like the obvious choice.

Please, no more mummies.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The only good reason to keep feinstein is that the Senate committee positions are based on seniority, so there's a huge incentive to just weekend at bernie a corpse into the hall with DNC positions stapled to the lapel.

Not defending it, but it's clearly the game being played.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Sydin posted:

All three of the high profile Republican guys (Faulconer, Cox, Elder) declined to run. The only R running I even remotely recognize is Brian Dahle, a state senator and former minority leader who's claim to fame is being a bi-partisan reach across the isler type so he's not exactly going to get the Trump crowd that turned out for Elder all that excited. Honestly it kinda seems like the recall failure completely deflated any and all conservative voter enthusiasm in the state, at least for now.

If this is true, I hope there are some decent ballot measures in November that now stand a better chance of passing with more Republicans sitting out. Knowing California though, I expect disappointment.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep seeing let's go Brandon poo poo around here and it's going to be incredibly funny if that's suddenly the new anti-Newsom candidate, since he's somehow the only worse option.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Larry Parrish posted:

I keep seeing let's go Brandon poo poo around here and it's going to be incredibly funny if that's suddenly the new anti-Newsom candidate, since he's somehow the only worse option.

Who, Brandon?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah he's been slowly appearing on signs around here in el dorado county. I saw like 5 yesterday where I hadn't seen any before lol. and I get around a lot since I deliver pizzas. i guess it makes sense, since this is basically the capital for incoherent angry white people with no actual job but enough money to be airb&b slumlords

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah he's been slowly appearing on signs around here in el dorado county. I saw like 5 yesterday where I hadn't seen any before lol. and I get around a lot since I deliver pizzas. i guess it makes sense, since this is basically the capital for incoherent angry white people with no actual job but enough money to be airb&b slumlords

Well I admit he'd definitely be worse than Newsom, but as mentioned upthread I don't think Newsom has any intention of running against an incumbent.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
DEMs should run a guy named Brandon, just lean into it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

El Mero Mero posted:

The only good reason to keep feinstein is that the Senate committee positions are based on seniority, so there's a huge incentive to just weekend at bernie a corpse into the hall with DNC positions stapled to the lapel.

Not defending it, but it's clearly the game being played.
The thing is, there is very little practical way to remove her against her will. The Senate will not vote to expel her, because there are too many other Senators who'd see their seats at risk. You can't recall a Senator, because it isn't a State office. The family can't make her.

So who is able to intervene? I'd be happy to find out.

A similar problem has happened in the Supreme Court. January 31, 1974, William O. Douglas had a mentally debilitating stroke. It took eleven months of pressure from the other Justices to get him to resign, and even then he kept turning up and expecting to be included in deliberations. Until he resigned, the Justices had made a private agreement to not issue a decision in any cases for which he'd be the deciding vote.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m wondering if maybe relying on our public servants to voluntarily put the welfare of the country ahead of their own personal interests is not the best way to run things.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The thing is, there is very little practical way to remove her against her will. The Senate will not vote to expel her, because there are too many other Senators who'd see their seats at risk. You can't recall a Senator, because it isn't a State office. The family can't make her.

A similar problem has happened in the Supreme Court. January 31, 1974, William O. Douglas had a mentally debilitating stroke. It took eleven months of pressure from the other Justices to get him to resign, and even then he kept turning up and expecting to be included in deliberations. Until he resigned, the Justices had made a private agreement to not issue a decision in any cases for which he'd be the deciding vote.

Tie an oversized confederate flag around her and let the wind carry her into the hellish inferno of the coming wildfires. Easy peasy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Arsenic Lupin posted:

you are thinking within the confines of the established rules, comrade. why stop at feinstein?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

you are thinking within the confines of the established rules, comrade. why stop at feinstein?

This but unironically. Anyway it's just another example of how hilariously undemocratic our society is.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Larry Parrish posted:

This but unironically. Anyway it's just another example of how hilariously undemocratic our society is.

Throw off the yoke of the capitalist and turn all government buildings into barracks.

We will also have to blowup Disney as a sign of victory over the oppressor

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Throw off the yoke of the capitalist and turn all government buildings into barracks.

We will also have to blowup Disney as a sign of victory over the oppressor

you can't tell me a neutron bomb over Anaheim wouldn't improve the state dramatically

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Anaheim? Did you mean Huntington Beach?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goodpancakes posted:

Anaheim? Did you mean Huntington Beach?

just kind of hoping the faunt line pushes the entire southern half into the ocean like bugs bunny

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Larry Parrish posted:

just kind of hoping a faunt line pushes the entire country into the ocean like bugs bunny

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Snipee posted:

If this is true, I hope there are some decent ballot measures in November that now stand a better chance of passing with more Republicans sitting out. Knowing California though, I expect disappointment.

Don't worry well off landowner libs will kill any ballot props to do actually good things like kill prop 13 or repeal Costa-Hawkins all on their own without any GOP backing.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Larry Parrish posted:

just kind of hoping the faunt line pushes the entire southern half into the ocean like bugs bunny

Paging Lex Luthor

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

Don't worry well off landowner libs will kill any ballot props to do actually good things like kill prop 13 or repeal Costa-Hawkins all on their own without any GOP backing.

or that old chestnut, the prop beginning with 'the legislature shall investigate...'. it's too late at night to be doing research but my gut says any prop that isn't extremely specific is doa if the mafia extremely legal and above board real estate industry doesn't crush it with lobbying and huge ad campaigns

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Larry Parrish posted:

https://aquaman.fandom.com/wiki/Sub_Diego

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Remember when we were talking about reparations and some posters argued that it would make more sense to give back to those affected by marijuana convictions and the drug wars in general?

Apparently this concept is called "Cannabis Equity", and there are programs being implemented across the country to make sure the economic benefits of weed legalization flow back to disadvantaged communities.

However, in practice they don't seem to be achieving their intended purpose. Even when entrepreneurs get equity licenses, they then have to deal with other problems like a lack of access to large national banks which leaves them open to get robbed.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Where's that drat state-run California public bank already :mad:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

so on top of it all, it doesn't actually go to anyone affected by the drug war in the first place

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Larry Parrish posted:

so on top of it all, it doesn't actually go to anyone affected by the drug war in the first place

Exactly, it's a totally neoliberal approach that just enriches capital, except perhaps some of the capitalists benefitting are POC.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 22, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Give everyone with a marijuana conviction $2000.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hello California Goons. It's raining and that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I thought The Rock was going to run.