Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rochallor posted:

Politicians don't deserve to eat good food.

Imagine them trying to eat dipped Italian beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Nanomashoes posted:

Illinois is the most demographically average state in the country and also a solid blue stronghold where the machine still works so the party can pick whomever it wants. I see no reason why it shouldn’t be us.
Chicago elected Lori Lightfoot, and should not be trusted with any decision-making whatsoever. Same with Adams/NYC.

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 16, 2022

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

RBA Starblade posted:

You sounded like you were in support of one yesterday. What changed?

The difference is that fascists should have no place in society vs our garbage justice system which executes everyone from wrongly accused minorities to the mentally handicapped.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Bishyaler posted:

The difference is that fascists should have no place in society vs our garbage justice system which executes everyone from wrongly accused minorities to the mentally handicapped.

So you're pro death penalty. Got it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

Chicago elected Lori Lightfoot, and should not be trusted with any decision-making whatsoever. Same with Adams/NYC.

Chicago is not the entire state, despite what some people might tell you. And Adams just proves that electing really bad mayors is the norm in America so it’s more reason to go with us.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mastershakeman posted:

Imagine them trying to eat dipped Italian beef

I'm sure they would love it

edit: sadly I couldn't find any photos of Newt Gingrich holding animals in iowa

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is like saying anti war people aren't anti war if they say it was good the Nazi's got stomped. It's just tedious pedantry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It does seem like it'd lead to a lot more usage of it and require a lot more funding and authority to police and friends to support investigating, arresting, trying, and executing suspects for the crime of being fascist or supporting fascism, if that's the road to go down to solve the issue. I'd still rather remove funding and power from them.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

RBA Starblade posted:

It does seem like it'd lead to a lot more usage of it and require a lot more funding and authority to police and friends to support investigating, arresting, trying, and executing suspects for the crime of being fascist or supporting fascism, if that's the road to go down to solve the issue. I'd still rather remove funding and power from them.

To be fair, Bishyaler didn’t say or insinuate anything about trying them :shrug:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Harold Fjord posted:

This is like saying anti war people aren't anti war if they say it was good the Nazi's got stomped. It's just tedious pedantry.

No not really. The two are not comparable. War is hell and not under the control of individuals, but the death penalty is a social choice. It's a binary choice between yes and no. Hemming and hawing just means you're pro death penalty but don't like hearing it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think death penalty for fascists is a bit too pre-emptive of a discussion. I'd say start with not electing them or letting them get off crimes but that is also a bit too pre-emptive. (Most) Americans (including many self-described leftists) are at the point where they're unable to invite fascists to Thanksgiving and Christmas or unable to not make a thousand excuses to why they aren't bad people for being fascists. So really early to tackle judicial or even capital punishments for fascism when it is clearly a widely accepted point of view in U.S.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Kalit posted:

To be fair, Bishyaler didn’t say or insinuate anything about trying them :shrug:

To be fair the first person who has mentioned executing fascists seems to be RBA Starblade, about 8 pages back. They've now moved on to countering that actually Bishlayer wants to hug and kiss police officers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cow Bell posted:

To be fair the first person who has mentioned executing fascists seems to be RBA Starblade, about 8 pages back. They've now moved on to countering that actually Bishlayer wants to hug and kiss police officers.

I think it started when I posted a story about the death penalty and he said he was pro death penalty for a certain group of people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cow Bell posted:

The conversation led off of pointing out that, outside of life imprisonment or execution, arresting fascists is not a permanent solution to the problem of fascists in government. Bishyaler considered that a gotcha, and then has since supported the idea in full, it seems. They can correct me if I'm wrong though!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The conversation led off of pointing out that, outside of life imprisonment or execution, arresting fascists is not a permanent solution to the problem of fascists in government. Bishyaler considered that a gotcha, and then has since supported the idea in full, it seems. They can correct me if I'm wrong though!

I dont see anything like that maybe both of you could quote the posts your posting about?

Regardless, we aren't allowed to talk about permanent solutions to fascists in government. But we should still aggressively implement non permanent solutions.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

Regardless, we aren't allowed to talk about permanent solutions to fascists in government.

Kicking them out of office, charging them with crimes they have committed, and putting them in prison? I'm pretty sure we can talk about that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harold Fjord posted:

I dont see anything like that maybe both of you could quote the posts your posting about?

Bishyaler posted:

It says a lot about the lack of commitment liberals have to actually opposing fascism if you think "jailing fascists for life" or "death sentence for fascists" is a bridge-too-far gotcha.

Bishyaler posted:

There's an even easier way, breathing in nitrogen gas is one of the most peaceful and painless ways to go. The body doesn't have a mechanism for defense against nitrogen like it does for carbon dioxide.

Edit: This is not in support of a death penalty, but would be nice for people with terminal diseases who want to end their suffering.

RBA Starblade posted:

You sounded like you were in support of [the death penalty] yesterday. What changed?

Bishyaler posted:

This seems pretty suggestive, to me.

Harold Fjord posted:

Regardless, we aren't allowed to talk about permanent solutions to fascists in government. But we should still aggressively implement non permanent solutions.

No doubt, this was just in terms of an actual permanent one.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

Kicking them out of office, charging them with crimes they have committed, and putting them in prison? I'm pretty sure we can talk about that.

I wish we had people in charge that were dedicated to doing that. :sigh:

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

the conversation actually led off with a discussion on whether the Federal government should use the National Guard to enforce federal law in Texas, a la the Little Rock 9 event. I know, because I painstakingly worked my way back through the insufferable quotes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

How are u posted:

The argument I'm responding to, as I understand it, is permanent solutions require life imprisonment. If you disagree you'll have to take it up with them.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm totally not surprised you have a final solution planned for those you deem fascist.

Cow Bell posted:

the conversation actually led off with a discussion on whether the Federal government should use the National Guard to enforce federal law in Texas, a la the Little Rock 9 event. I know, because I painstakingly worked my way back through the insufferable quotes.

Nope. It was about the death penalty and his support (as well as Harold Fjord's I'm assuming because of the permanent solution comment') support for the death penalty.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm totally not surprised you have a final solution planned for those you deem fascist.

Nope. It was about the death penalty and his support (as well as Harold Fjord's I'm assuming because of the permanent solution comment') support for the death penalty.

I never said anything like this. Quit with the gotcha bullshit you've already been called out on. It's predictable

This is basic paradox of tolerance poo poo.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 16, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The side conversation about executions in our cool companion thread is also very illuminating.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

I never said anything like this. Quit with the gotcha bullshit you've already been called out on. It's predictable, see:

This is basic paradox of tolerance poo poo.

How is that a gotcha. If you weren't implying death by 'permanent solution' I don't know what you meant.

I personally do not support the death penalty under any circumstances, even if someone may be a fascist. I also don't support jailing someone for life because they are a fascist. Generally the best way to deal with fascists is to improve living standards and social safety nets.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

this final solution you speak of; how would you say it differs from the current Democratic plan of 'throw the inherently diseased untermenschen into camps, where the plague will expedite their processing'

in a world where you're already defending that as Pragmatic Necessity, this is not principled opposition to violence, this is complaining that you don't want your political project opposing the powerful, when you could instead continue opposing the weak.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

How is that a gotcha. If you weren't implying death by 'permanent solution' I don't know what you meant.

I personally do not support the death penalty under any circumstances, even if someone may be a fascist. I also don't support jailing someone for life because they are a fascist. Generally the best way to deal with fascists is to improve living standards and social safety nets.

What do you support doing when fascists are dragging a neighbor out of their house?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Have to admit there's a bit of irony to liberals making smug horseshoe theory quips when their government officials are about to get soft couped by the very people we're advocating doing something about. But hey, it isn't like there were warning signs or officials sounding the alarm, right?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

What do you support doing when fascists are dragging a neighbor out of their house?

How is this related to the death penalty? Obviously fascist actions would need to be opposed with force. Are you trying for some sort of gotcha here?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

How is this related to the death penalty? Obviously fascist actions would need to be opposed with force. Are you trying for some sort of gotcha here?

This argument is just my argument except "you have to wait until it happens and then stop only the ones doing the kidnapping"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Obviously fascist actions would need to be opposed with force. Are you trying for some sort of gotcha here?

Ok great now we can circle back to where we are asking the Democratic Party to meet obviously fascist actions with force.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

we have run this experiment, and the answer is 'back the guy who says he'll make sure the people doing the dragging are direct government employees and not contractors'

so long as the purges are duly notarized by the process, opposing fascist purges makes you more fascist than the people doing the purging.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jenny2x4/status/1514312156635828224

this is how some people actually think!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Bishyaler posted:

This argument is just my argument except "you have to wait until it happens and then stop only the ones doing the kidnapping"

Ahh yes the notable distinction between 'has committed a crime' and 'has not'

Harold Fjord posted:

Ok great now we can circle back to where we are asking the Democratic Party to meet obviously fascist actions with force.

Why do we need to circle back to that from a discussion about how you are pro death penalty? We also seem to have moved the goalposts from 'dragging people into the street ' to 'vague fascist actions'.

Which fascists do you currently support killing via state violence.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

A venerable line of debate that's been going on since time immemorial. It's being explored in exciting new ways in Marvel Studios' Moon Knight, now streaming on Disney+.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lots of posting enemies getting owned today, I'll come back when the people whining about the thread not being productive yesterday are not spending today owning their enemies.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 16, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'd prefer life imprisonment personally but they tend to want to fight, being fascists.
Donald Trump, prison for life.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ahh yes the notable distinction between 'has committed a crime' and 'has not'.

For example, the crime of being Mexican, a nationality the Biden administration considers congenitally likely to spread disease, and therefore necessary to purge from the nation-body.

Wouldn't you look awful, if you tried to stop the fascists from dragging your neighbor away to the camps, and the fascists then told you 'it's okay, we have a piece of paper that says these people are actually a type of plague bearing vermin now.'

That would make you the fascist, and not the person dragging your neighbor away for being a threat to the racial hygiene of the Volk.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Generally the best way to deal with fascists is to improve living standards and social safety nets.

That doesn't deal with fascists, it prevents them. You have to deal with fascists in order to reach a state where you can prevent hypothetical future fascists.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why do we need to circle back to that from a discussion about how you are pro death penalty? We also seem to have moved the goalposts from 'dragging people into the street ' to 'vague fascist actions'.

Your government already kills people based on association every day. Its called a drone program. Heck, they don't even stop with members of a group, Obama ran programs with 90% civilian casualty rates without blinking an eye and then when a dude blew the whistle he was thrown in prison. Biden could pardon him, but what are the odds on that?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

I'd prefer life imprisonment personally but they tend to want to fight, being fascists.
Donald Trump, prison for life.

I agree that imprisonment is better than state sanctioned murder for fascists that have committed crimes.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Lots of posting enemies getting owned today, I'll come back when the people whining about the thread not being productive yesterday are spending today owning their enemies.

I was just surprised how many people came out pro death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Thinking that an existing ruleset should be applied in a sensible way, given that it exists, is not necessarily agreement with it existing. But you seem insistent on repeatedly spiking your framing of other posters arguments like a football over and over.