Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Macaluso posted:

I hope it has a similar feel to the farm in Mists of Pandaria, but if we're gonna have a little house on the island even if it's just a one room thing then I think it'd be insane to not let us customize it

This is my hope as well, that farm and everything attached to it was probably my favorite thing I did in WoW.

Thought fat rip to all you nerds pining for outdoor gardening. I've got a house and do it and it's tedious. There's like, 3 profitable/useful crops and the entire mechanic is just clicking on things once a day and then getting pissed as hell when you forget and your onions die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
It's really funny when CC players have frontline brain and ignore the crystal. I have walked that thing right up to the win a good 6 times because everyone was fighting.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

I've literally seen people say that exact thing, yeah. There are players who actually argue that the limited housing available is a good thing because housing wouldn't be as special if everyone could have one

Yeah those people can gently caress off. I own a large shirogane mansion and housing should be unlimited.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hogama posted:

My actual prediction for Island Sanctuary is a multi-phased instance that's built up over the course of multiple patches with a small story attached.

yeah same, i expect it to be EW's more fleshed out Doman Restoration

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Macaluso posted:

I've literally seen people say that exact thing, yeah. There are players who actually argue that the limited housing available is a good thing because housing wouldn't be as special if everyone could have one

Those people should be banned from the game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My bet: the island sanctuary needs to ckme in 6.2, because the island itself is the floating island hub from the alliance raids. It's even already got minions wandering around on it!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Cleretic posted:

My bet: the island sanctuary needs to ckme in 6.2, because the island itself is the floating island hub from the alliance raids. It's even already got minions wandering around on it!

I feel like it's going to be G'raha's homeland that was mentioned as being in the Garlean continent or whatever. He said it was nice!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Failboattootoot posted:

No. It's "slow living" content

We're about to find out where all the webs and slime from Totorak went.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Pyro Jack posted:

Ended up trying out the new Trial that replaces the fight with Ultima in the Praetorium. Surprisingly hard but that's expected since it isn't bound to a really long dungeon anymore. I think I wasn't the only one that was caught off-guard by Ultima's difficulty but I'm not sure.

Still retains "SUCH DEVASTATION..." to me and another player's enjoyment.

I did MSQR on WAR today and got the Ultima fight for the first time since the changes. I was quite impressed with how they dressed it up. Really made it much more interesting and quite powerful feeling.

And I was also happy SUCH DEVASTATION was retained. I wonder if we were in the same group.

I think I got a little under 2 mil xp at level 77ish for doing it. Not bad all things considered.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
wish CC gave a touch more exp but I can understand that it being so quick it already gives 11-12%/level exp

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, all I'm really hoping for from the island sanctuary is instanced crossbreed-ready gardening. That system looks really fun and I've barely touched it, since I don't own a house.

Same. Maybe Chocobo stables too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zeruel posted:

wish CC gave a touch more exp but I can understand that it being so quick it already gives 11-12%/level exp

yeah, though i think thats more a product of there not being a daily roulette for it - grinding frontlines is bad exp too, its just the pvp daily that makes it good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i've thought hard about it, and decided the best feeling in pvp isn't a quad kill LB, it's watching a samurai impotently wander into your group, stand there parrying for 5 seconds while no one attacks them, and then using their LB anyway and getting no kills.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has anyone seen someone dropout of Meridianum because they were fishing for Prae? Wondering if the changes are helping with that.

Not so far. And it seems like they give roughly the same EXP anyway, now. They certainly take around the same time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm pretty sure the only reason housing isn't unlimited is because it physically can't be

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Is there a god of housing we can kill?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What I want from housing is a cabin out in the countryside, with no neighbors. That would only be possible as an instanced plot of land. It's also something they will never, ever add to this game.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Housing wards are cool actually, it’s neat to have a neighborhood

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I'm pretty sure the only reason housing isn't unlimited is because it physically can't be

I mean, I asked that in Discord in a different form of "why can't they, say, sell glamour dresser expansions in the store" and I'm still not satisfied with the "not enough data storage" answer.

I suspect the real answer is something to do with how they stick to their release schedule and the actual labor resources needed to meet that. If you don't have the dev hours to do it right, that's a lot more understandable than "our database server is too small."

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, what kind of crafting gear/melds do you need to start gathering the materials for pactmaker gear? it seems like some amount of overmelding is necessary to meet the perception requirement for the node bonuses but I'm not gonna pentameld gear I'm just about to replace.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Consummate Professional posted:

Is there a god of housing we can kill?

Byregot is the god of architecture. So the answer is 'yes, and we already beat him'.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I mean, I asked that in Discord in a different form of "why can't they, say, sell glamour dresser expansions in the store" and I'm still not satisfied with the "not enough data storage" answer.

I suspect the real answer is something to do with how they stick to their release schedule and the actual labor resources needed to meet that. If you don't have the dev hours to do it right, that's a lot more understandable than "our database server is too small."

i think a lot of limitations that people rationalized as 'old spaghetti code' or 'impossible to do' is just this ie yoshiP talks about how 'expensive' something is and what he means is in terms of manhours that are already thoroughly accounted for in order to keep their schedule

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Just saw something I wasn't expecting. I got Akh Afah for my trial roulette, and we had a new player watching the cutscene, so I start looking at everyone's plates.

It was applying the "visible breath" effect to the plates as well.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
does anyone have any tips on making pvp with a controller better? i find it pretty clunky to have to keep trying to change my target from a nearby ally to a nearby enemy.

Raised By Birds posted:

Just saw something I wasn't expecting. I got Akh Afah for my trial roulette, and we had a new player watching the cutscene, so I start looking at everyone's plates.

It was applying the "visible breath" effect to the plates as well.

this is going to RUIN peoples plates.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

happy "learning you lost the lottery and starting your search over again in the other four housing zones" eve everyone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I barely have enough energy to manage my own housing situation IRL, doing that in a game is making me tired just thinking about it

I still haven't unlocked the new alliance raid lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think a lot of limitations that people rationalized as 'old spaghetti code' or 'impossible to do' is just this ie yoshiP talks about how 'expensive' something is and what he means is in terms of manhours that are already thoroughly accounted for in order to keep their schedule

Yeah, this is broadly what it means. It's not that anything is impossible to do with the code base, it's that the code base poses way more problems than it first seems and makes what might seem obvious like way more trouble than it's worth.

When something put in that basket happens, it's rarely because they finally decided to do it, and more likely that developers either put in that amount of hours to figure it out (often on their own time), or that someone just got really loving clever and found an insane way to make it work.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If anyone else is curious what the Wolf Barding from Trophy Crystals looks like:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I loving love the new pvp mode. It's over so fast that you're never stuck in a frustrating game, and the lack of chat really suppresses potential toxicity. And the class designs! I get that balance will shake out to show some classes are better than others, but their diversity of design and the extent to which the designers captured class fantasy is astonishing. I honestly think they did a better job with these class designs than the pve versions. It's just a joy to explore.

Past couple days I've been playing a bunch of Bard. It's the first MMO class with a bow that, because of the mechanics on Bard's filler attack (slow movement while casting plus reduced damage versus close targets), actually feels like an archer. It makes positioning feel very important.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Corbeau posted:

I loving love the new pvp mode. It's over so fast that you're never stuck in a frustrating game, and the lack of chat really suppresses potential toxicity. And the class designs! I get that balance will shake out to show some classes are better than others, but their diversity of design and the extent to which the designers captured class fantasy is astonishing. I honestly think they did a better job with these class designs than the pve versions. It's just a joy to explore.

Past couple days I've been playing a bunch of Bard. It's the first MMO class with a bow that, because of the mechanics on Bard's filler attack (slow movement while casting plus reduced damage versus close targets), actually feels like an archer. It makes positioning feel very important.

The fact that they apparently have combos on one button in PvP really makes me hope they port that into PvE at some point. I like button economy and right now SAM pisses me off that I have to dedicate 6 buttons to my builder combo. They could cut that in half by making each combo path one context-sensitive button GNB-style.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Warmachine posted:

The fact that they apparently have combos on one button in PvP really makes me hope they port that into PvE at some point. I like button economy and right now SAM pisses me off that I have to dedicate 6 buttons to my builder combo. They could cut that in half by making each combo path one context-sensitive button GNB-style.

This has been around for years (Stormblood), and every time it's brought up the devs state that the full combos won't be going anywhere any time soon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Oh my god the healer kits feel horrible in PvP. How does anyone deal with this mess?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Holy gently caress I just deleted these people with the Sam pvp lb
https://twitter.com/doctagon_/status/1515146446957281284

Yeah, I've started to focus target SAMs so they get an arrow over their head and try not to attack them when their Limit Break is close to full.

Cleretic posted:

Oh my god the healer kits feel horrible in PvP. How does anyone deal with this mess?

Stop thinking of them as healers, they're green DPS with some support skills. Tanks probably have more healing than any of the healers except maybe Sage.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The pvp classes honestly make me want a different pve game designed with them in mind. They're just so damned good.

Let's compare the healers, as an example. They've got pretty minimal differences in pve, with AST having the biggest difference due to card juggling, but the pvp designs are almost entirely different from each other. WHM has very straightforward but appealing powers with big heals, good CC, and big periodic burst. SCH on the other hand is all-in on buffing and debuffing people for incremental advantage over time. And then SGE just loving shoots people dead like a dps. I've yet to play AST in pvp, but their kit also reads as being quite distinct with it's time-based shenanigans. It's really good stuff, on another level compared to the old pve kits.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 16, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tamba posted:

Stop thinking of them as healers, they're green DPS with some support skills. Tanks probably have more healing than any of the healers except maybe Sage.

I was told to play healers because they're helpful, and I assumed that meant they'd heal.

Not only are you right and they're basically budget DPS with some incidental healing, but it is horribly awkward to try to use any heal that isn't WHM's Cure III.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Warmachine posted:

The devs are adamant about not doing that but there's a third party plugin available through XIV Launcher that does it. Definitely a game changer for some of the jobs that are button heavy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The devs are adamant about not doing that but there's a third party plugin available through XIV Launcher that does it. Definitely a game changer for some of the jobs that are button heavy.

Part of the intended difficulty of PvE content is the possibility of messing up your rotation due to having to press different buttons to do combos, as far as I can tell.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Part of the intended difficulty of PvE content is the possibility of messing up your rotation due to having to press different buttons to do combos, as far as I can tell.

I find it irritating because my enjoyment comes from mastering the mechanics of the fight, but I find myself spending a lot of time 'head down' making sure I'm about to hit the right button in my rotation instead of paying attention to the boss. It feels artificial--like you're trying to count in sequence while someone yells random numbers at you.

I'll probably spend time tomorrow trying to reorganize my UI and hotbars, along with hitting target dummies to see if I can't figure out something more intuitive.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Warmachine posted:

I find it irritating because my enjoyment comes from mastering the mechanics of the fight, but I find myself spending a lot of time 'head down' making sure I'm about to hit the right button in my rotation instead of paying attention to the boss. It feels artificial--like you're trying to count in sequence while someone yells random numbers at you.

I'll probably spend time tomorrow trying to reorganize my UI and hotbars, along with hitting target dummies to see if I can't figure out something more intuitive.

That's where practicing against a dummy and indeed, making sure your UI and Hotbars are logically placed for you to automate it as a skill.

So on Samurai, I've set things up into patterns and memorable locations, which helps me perform whilst dealing with learning mechanics. Sometimes I mess it up, but that's intended as part of the experience. It is artificial, all game design is, but I can understand what you mean even if I like it.

There's nothing shameful about using mods to change this in my opinion.

The basic goal is that you can do your rotation pretty much blind, a bit like touch typing, but then as you throw in doing fight mechanics your ability to do that rotation becomes impacted by thought load, leading to a combined question of skill. But it's only really meant to be a thing on Savage and Ultimate and Extreme content. If you're struggling to do your rotation on normal content, you definitely should look at your hotbars and UI because that's not intended.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

they would probably also have to completely rework monk if they did that.