Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I liked the look of the little sticker printers, but since most of the things I wanted to print out were bigger and colorful, we got a Brother color laser printer. It's probably an 80-20 split between memes and fanart I liked. I've also got an Instax mini photo printer for pictures I've taken myself. This is why my diary is so heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Your washi tape is So. Good. I am jealous. :swoon:

I've thought about getting an Instax printer or similar, printing things out with The Big Printer was a pain but I do miss having actual color and higher resolution. Part of it was that I always felt obligated to wait until I had enough images to fill up a US Letter-sized page to minimize waste, whereas with the little printer I can just print any little thing that strikes my fancy one at a time.

I actually also have a small handheld printer that could work in theory, but it ran out of blue for some mysterious reason and getting it to print correctly is a chore anyway. Maybe I'll give it another go, though. It might save some of the thickness these many, many stickers are adding.

God. Why do I own so many novelty printers.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I kinda want to get the M02 Pro so I can do IRL shitposting! What thermal sticker paper do you use?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I've just been using Phomemo's refills, but I think anything that comes in a roll with a width of 50mm or less would work. I just haven't found any in the right size that are cheaper than the 'official' ones. Most alternate brands seem to come in 57mm, so maybe I would have been better off getting the PeriPage since it also has the benefit of looking like a bear :v:

Even the versions of the Phomemo that don't come with bundled paper come with a small roll, which is enough to get a feel for it. I waited to buy more because if I was just going to play with it once and put it in a drawer I didn't need more than what came with it for that.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Heck, I just bought the M02 pro, they're on sale now and got the printer and like 4 rolls of the white sticker paper for like 55$.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You can also use journals if you aren't an artist or calligrapher. I am a perfectionist who never gets anything done because I'm so upset by mistakes. If you're like me, use Pilot Frixion pens. They come in pretty colors (link is to markers, there are pens, too), and if you screw up you can erase it! It's awesome. I love fountain pens, but they require more commitment to the page.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Thanks to the mod who fixed the tag! I got excited and wanted to :justpost: and landed up with a Shitpost tag, heh.

Also, I keep trying not to sink too much money into this obsession, but after buying a new journal coz I heard the manufacturer wasn't going to sell to overseas suppliers anymore, the company I got mine from did a "mystery bundle" of their journals almost as soon as I received mine and... :retrogames:

If I were 25 years younger I would 100% be the target demographic of unboxing videos, and if stationery companies did subscription mystery boxes of misc stationery here in Australia, I'd probably go broke :v:

(And any Aussies who are suckers for mystery notebook loot boxes like me - the place I got mine from has one left).

... I've just remembered I havent used my new fountain pen yet! Coz I wanted to wash it out and dry it first. I know what I'm going to do today!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

froglet posted:

I keep trying not to sink too much money into this obsession

:smith:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

:unsmith: :hf: :retrogames: I just got some more because I thought I might like to use one for a new project (I won't, I never do). I've read nice things about the Archer & Olive ones, but I don't want the thicker paper because I don't use markers or things like that.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

On the subject of pens, I found these cheap pens that write really well. They're not gel pens. Promarx is the brand. They just write so well! I got blue and red, but they have all sorts of colors!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Everett False posted:

The ability to print sickos stickers on demand was well worth the price of admission, tbqh.

So far I've tried colored pencils (super faint), Papermate felt-tip pens (smudged no matter how long I waited), and Sharpies (takes a minute to dry but is fine after that). I haven't even bothered trying with my fountain pens, I feel like those would smudge for sure if even a regular felt-tip marker isn't cutting it. I don't know if they sell a version of the sticker paper that isn't glossy/actively resistant to being inked. Considering the texture of most receipts, it might just be an inherent property of thermal printing.

sb hermit posted:

I have at least 30 different inks with varying properties. I'll try to get the printer and see if I can write on any without smudging. I usually have good luck with Noodler's Kung Te-cheng but I make no guarantees.

I'm using the paper that comes with the printer and here's an initial finding:

• Noodler's Kung te-cheng works perfectly, even with water brushed on it
  • Noodler's Rattler Red dried well but isn't water resistant so it smeared with water applied
  • Noodler's heart of darkness still smeared after drying, even without water

An ink that works on multiple surfaces, like Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng, should probably work for these stickers. (It's also a good ink for uncooperative card stock).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have acquired a phomemo M02 and it's adorable and I love it. I printed a pic of my cat and made a paperweight out of it. 10/10, would print again. Thanks for the tip, it had never occurred to me to get one even though I love buying stickers and such.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I still haven't gotten my M02 yet. It finally got into O'Hare on Saturday.

Humble Bundle has a write and get creative book bundle going right now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...icle_bookbundle

I bought it, but I like hoarding books, like a book hoarding dragon.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I was looking at that! Worth it you think?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Maybe? I'm a book hoarding gremlin with too money and not enough sense. I threw them all on my phone to read.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

dervinosdoom posted:

Maybe? I'm a book hoarding gremlin with too money and not enough sense. I threw them all on my phone to read.

That will teach me to judge people watching their phone in the bus. They are not doomscrolling insta, they are reading profound books!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Keetron posted:

That will teach me to judge people watching their phone in the bus. They are not doomscrolling insta, they are reading profound books!

Well at least I am! I love a good book, electronic or otherwise!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I finally got my Phomemo M02Pro

Worth it

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Only about a month's worth of pages left in my current behemoth, thinking I might downsize again from an A5 to a B6. This one's taken almost an entire year to complete and I'll never get through my stack of empties at that rate (because I keep buying more).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mercury Hat posted:

The only Leuchhterm I have is my 5 year diary and it doesn't lay flat very well. Also some of the December pages got glued together too far out from the spine, but I got it on discount so whatever. Paper's real nice though.

I've been using Leuchtterms for me biannual bullet journal for a few years now. The last few have been better, but several have had that glue problem on a bunch of pages. I should honestly try Rhodia or something.

A5 is nice, though.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

Only about a month's worth of pages left in my current behemoth, thinking I might downsize again from an A5 to a B6. This one's taken almost an entire year to complete and I'll never get through my stack of empties at that rate (because I keep buying more).

Five pages from filling a sketch journal and now I am so much in doubt what to do next.
* I can go for a Rhodia webnotebook that is very fountain pen friendly but has relatively thin pages so no washes or watercolor, maybe some markers.
* Moleskine sketchbook (160gsm paper) or a watercolor sketchbook (200gsm) will take washes well, not sure about fountainpen
* Nebula notebook, very nice for fountainpen, not at all for any wet medium
* another Hahnemuhle Nostalgie book, with 190gsm pages, takes all mediums I want to use well but this is the book I am finishing and I like change
* A Letterpress Letterwish journal with 130gsm paper and this last has my preference somewhat

Of course ya'll can not look in my art supply closet but the above is only a small peek into the problem I have with buying notebooks.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Keetron posted:

Five pages from filling a sketch journal and now I am so much in doubt what to do next.
* I can go for a Rhodia webnotebook that is very fountain pen friendly but has relatively thin pages so no washes or watercolor, maybe some markers.
* Moleskine sketchbook (160gsm paper) or a watercolor sketchbook (200gsm) will take washes well, not sure about fountainpen
* Nebula notebook, very nice for fountainpen, not at all for any wet medium
* another Hahnemuhle Nostalgie book, with 190gsm pages, takes all mediums I want to use well but this is the book I am finishing and I like change
* A Letterpress Letterwish journal with 130gsm paper and this last has my preference somewhat

Of course ya'll can not look in my art supply closet but the above is only a small peek into the problem I have with buying notebooks.
Oh no, we all really are that dril tweet, aren't we?

:rolleyes: "Stop buying stationery"
:colbert: "No!"
Meanwhile, that mystery box I ordered never arrived. It got to the airport of my state and never left the depot (or it got stolen). I'd finally caved and bought some Mildliners, too... :negative:

Oh well, I've still got plenty of pages in my current journal. I'm taking a bit of time off after Easter, so I'll have more time to regroup, and work on all the misc goals that I've written down in my journal but have been dilly-dallying on (like the books I started but haven't yet finished, heh). I recently got some black cockatoo washi tape, which is super nice, will try to make a spread that isn't completely covered in my usual journal drivel purely to show it off, but no promises...

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The books that don't take washes too well would be good for ink sketching. I like to sketch and doodle in ink rather than pencil so I don't get too stiff when going over drawings in ink.

My blank notebook pile is all mostly the same, just duplicates of what I already like. I did get a couple Midori MD to try out this time, though. Mostly Tomoe River Paper in 52 and 68 gsm of varying sizes because all I do in them is write or make little ink sketches. I've got a few I'm using at the moment:

- A6 Tomoe River Paper 52 gsm catch-all notebook for recipes, story ideas, whatever else comes to mind. I hesitate to call it a commonplace book and I haven't touched it in a few months.
- A5 TRP 52 gsm diary
- A5 Some Lines a Day Leuchtturm 5 year diary (might switch to a Midori when it's done)
- A5 TRP 68 gsm language learning notebook
- A5 TRP 52 gsm sketch diary I've hardly touched
- B6 TRP 52 gsm reading diary, I'm a slow reader so this also hardly gets touched

There's a few solo RPGs I want to try out, I'll use a notebook for that whenever I get around to it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I bought a lead holder and some blue lead so I've been sketching stuff in an attempt to get better at sketching stuff

The white void is supposed to be a building but I forgot my sharpener so I haven't filled it in yet. So instead it is a magic forest cube

I'd like to get into integrating sketches into my journaling for the sake of filling out my entries a bit and going beyond just being like "went to class today, ate a good dinner, haven't gotten that package yet"

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Heath posted:

I'd like to get into integrating sketches into my journaling for the sake of filling out my entries a bit and going beyond just being like "went to class today, ate a good dinner, haven't gotten that package yet"

There is a few books about this such as "Draw you Day" and "Every day matters" where especially the second one is more like a motivational speech to just do it. It also mentions to go straight to ink to just own your mistakes and that resonates with me, you just do you if you like pencil more.

Downsides to pencil for me:
- in a carried book, the pages always rub off on each other
- once I get erasing, I never stop
- my hand gets black on one side

My preference is fountain pen with Platinum Carbon black as it is waterproof (watercolor and washes) and a really nice, shiny black.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's why I went with a blue lead holder, it doesn't erase or rub off very well. Kinda forces me to commit to my lines but I can also shade and such

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Heath posted:

I bought a lead holder...

I'm looking for a lead holder. What are you using?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

dervinosdoom posted:

I'm looking for a lead holder. What are you using?

I got this one.

Heath fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 16, 2022

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

That kind actually has a sharpener in the cap, that's what the little hole is. Maybe you know and just don't like it, it is a pain to get the dust out of it sometimes.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got a little rotary sharpener for it.

Chaosqueen
Aug 21, 2020
Hi, I loved to find a post about bullet journaling here. This is my first post I'm writing on SA. My boyfriend has been insisting since we got to know each other to read and write here instead of Facebook. :cheeky:

I've been using Bullet Journals for about two years and I love it. As most of you I also spend too much money for accessories. (I've loved stationery for my entire life.)

Once a month it's a great creative hobby. Most parts of the Journal I prepare for the entire month. For the remainder of the time it's a very valuable tool to organize my life and not to forget so many to-dos.

Here are some pages I made.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Those are really nice! Sure you're not just showing off that you speak at least three languages?

Making my own art into little stickers has delighted me more than it probably should

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Chaosqueen posted:

Hi, I loved to find a post about bullet journaling here. This is my first post I'm writing on SA. My boyfriend has been insisting since we got to know each other to read and write here instead of Facebook. :cheeky:

I've been using Bullet Journals for about two years and I love it. As most of you I also spend too much money for accessories. (I've loved stationery for my entire life.)

Once a month it's a great creative hobby. Most parts of the Journal I prepare for the entire month. For the remainder of the time it's a very valuable tool to organize my life and not to forget so many to-dos.

Here are some pages I made.

:syoon: You have such beautiful handwriting!

I have yet to organize my life to that extent but it feels like something I should be eventually gravitating towards. I've heard of aspects of other bullet journals in your pictures but it's wonderful to see it in practice. Particularly the key and the trackers.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 17, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like the mood tracker graph in particular!

Chaosqueen
Aug 21, 2020
This weekend I created my May theme. I have been looking forward for months to make a Harry Potter theme (Rowling sucks, but I still like the stories), last week finally the stickers arrived.
I never before made a theme with so many drawings. I hope you like it.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Man, I wish I was more creative.

That's so cool!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
For anyone in the Philadelphia area, Omoi Zakka Shop opened up in Old City and it's extremely stationary and journal friendly.

https://omoionline.com/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Wow! Chaosqueen that's awesome, thanks for showing it off!! I love the footprints :)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Chaosqueen posted:

This weekend I created my May theme. I have been looking forward for months to make a Harry Potter theme (Rowling sucks, but I still like the stories), last week finally the stickers arrived.
I never before made a theme with so many drawings. I hope you like it.

Gosh these are all so lovely, well done. Dunno bout the rest of you, but the good thing about this wretched hobby is it does give me an excuse to at least try drawing, even though I turbo-failed art in school.

And my mystery box arrived! Hurray. The A5 book isn't to my taste, but I had a feeling that would happen and I know just the person to give it to, while the others I'm going to use for tabletop RPG stuff.

I'm about 30 pages from the end of my current journal, so I'm slowly going through setting up the new one - I drew a calendar for the year in my first and was surprised how useful it was, so I'm going to do that again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Here is an important thing about bullet journals for organization:

You can do it half-assedly and it still works.

There was absolutely nothing on my calendar page for April, and only one entry for March. But when I sat down today to make a bunch of phone calls (man, finding any kind of home contractor right now is impossible, nobody returns your calls), all the phone numbers for people I'd tried to call were still there. So I made a new "Calls" page that had several lines blank under each call, so I could just jot down the last date I'd called. All those contractors now have notes that I called them on 5/3, so when I'm wondering how long it's been since somebody not-called, I can find out and call again. Also I tracked down one upholsterer I've been trying to reach, off and on since September (when she promised me a slot in December), and finally found out that no, she's flat-out not available, period. So I picked out a new upholsterer and emailed him with photos of the chairs.

But the point is, even if your journal pages aren't beautiful, and even if you don't religiously do the journal every week, it can still help you keep track of what needs doing.

P.S. Japanese stickers are hard as hell to peel off the backing.