Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Asehujiko posted:

I'm a European who's only ever shot clays with a shotgun that was loaded by somebody else before it was handled to me but I'm fairly sure I could operate an AK:
-there's a little catch in the vicinity the magazine to release it and put in a new one
-next there's a handle sticking out of a long slot on the side that must be pulled backwards to get the first bullet out of the magazine into the gun
-before shooting there's a safety lever that changes between no bullets/yes bullets
-and finally there's the trigger that makes the bullets come out the front
The only part I could imagine having issues with is the language of the safety markings but I assume that could be determined empirically by not putting in any bullets and listening to which position makes clicking noises when the trigger is pulled and which doesn't.

This is all well and good but do you know how to open a can of beans with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Where are the easiest two places to find a former SEAL?

A book signing or prison! :dadjoke:

All the goddamn time. We had two CONEXs of miscellaneous crap 'Foreign Familiarization' hardware that had been accumulating since Korea, including a Chinese made DshK clone on a tiny little two-wheeled carriage with the cutest little gunshield. The SF 18B course has several days, if not a week, of range time built into their syllabus for training on all kinds of weird poo poo.

The big central arms facility at Benning had STACKS of foreign weaponry. Tons of Russian stuff, so many AKs, but it was all being stored and maintained for some cool dudes to come along and practice I guess.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Asehujiko posted:

I'm a European who's only ever shot clays with a shotgun that was loaded by somebody else before it was handled to me but I'm fairly sure I could operate an AK:
-there's a little catch in the vicinity the magazine to release it and put in a new one
-next there's a handle sticking out of a long slot on the side that must be pulled backwards to get the first bullet out of the magazine into the gun
-before shooting there's a safety lever that changes between no bullets/yes bullets
-and finally there's the trigger that makes the bullets come out the front
The only part I could imagine having issues with is the language of the safety markings but I assume that could be determined empirically by not putting in any bullets and listening to which position makes clicking noises when the trigger is pulled and which doesn't.

Regarding Ukraine salvaging the nukes that may or may not be on the wreck of the Moskva, wouldn't they be in a very poor state after the big tubes of rocket fuel they were attached to caught fire and exploded? It is my civilian understanding that nuclear weapons lose their ability to do nuclear explosions if the supporting components are damaged and Ukraine already has easy access to charred chunks of plutonium without going fishing for it.

Can't do one without the other.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Asehujiko posted:

On a proper AK, I believe the switch has three positions:
- No bullet
- Bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet
- Give him one bullet, and one bullet ONLY

In that order so that a terrified peasant soldier won't panic-slap the gun into full auto.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I had an old salty SF dude as an ROTC instructor who told me that his most basic measure of a foreign soldier's competency was how often they tried to fire their AK on full auto.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

not caring here posted:

The big central arms facility at Benning had STACKS of foreign weaponry. Tons of Russian stuff, so many AKs, but it was all being stored and maintained for some cool dudes to come along and practice I guess.

We got to play with them in IOBC for like a day. Just as a “here’s what they look like, here’s how they operate, here’s how you break them down” kind of thing.

The platoon trainer we had went out of his way to make it happen, seemed pretty cool for us. I don’t think most of us were any kind of familiar with them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/the_intelhub/status/1515371325841457160?s=21&t=PAcVG00uG-DVu59YWLn1Vw

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

That admiral looks like a rumpled bag of donuts. Someone unfuck his uniform.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
how do we know these aren't the "crew" like the Kherson pro russian "protestors"

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Elon finally getting to use his Submarine lmao

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What, is he commending them on doing a good job at putting out the spontaneous fire that still sank their ship?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Discussion Quorum posted:

On a proper AK, I believe the switch has three positions:
- No bullet
- Bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet
- Give him one bullet, and one bullet ONLY

In that order so that a terrified peasant soldier won't panic-slap the gun into full auto.

Talk about your point-and-click interface! :dadjoke:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Somehow this reminds me of this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0DrMUKwy4o&t=1416s

Well except for the russian leader being as charismatic as the Tzar, famous for being kind and useless.
And the Russians being willing to die for their beloved leader.
And the competence of the Tzar's forces (lol).

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

You know, one of the little things about Putin is that he almost always looks so goddamn miserable about anything he's doing. Just a permanent expression of slightly baffled, low-affect discontent, even when he's riding a minisub. What's the point of being a ruthless kleptocratic dictator if you can't even find joy in it?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tomn posted:

You know, one of the little things about Putin is that he almost always looks so goddamn miserable about anything he's doing. Just a permanent expression of slightly baffled, low-affect discontent, even when he's riding a minisub. What's the point of being a ruthless kleptocratic dictator if you can't even find joy in it?

If you smile, you are either a fool or you have sinister intentions. The only acceptable time to smile is when everyone around you understands why you are smiling.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1515343018471006212?s=20&t=-WSC6u6lGWohY9t1JsH1ng

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Also cross-posting this from the D&D thread because I'd like to know if you guys think this is at all plausible.

quote:

One thing I'm kinda curious about - how's Ukraine's ammo and spare part stockpiles? My understanding is that Russia's managed to destroy most of Ukraine's native arms factories by this point, and while NATO as a whole is sending boatloads of stuff Ukrainian equipment is still largely Warsaw Pact and isn't compatible with NATO ammo. Small arms ammo probably isn't a huge issue since those are pretty plentiful, but how are they for artillery shells, Grad rockets, or Buk missiles? Modern warfare is pretty thirsty when it comes to heavy or precision ammo - as see Russia's own PGM stockpiles running low. And how many replacements could NATO potentially scrounge up to send them out of former EE stockpiles? Related, how much in the way of maintenance materials do they have for their own armored and mechanized forces?

I wonder a bit if part of the reason why Ukraine is crying out for heavy weapons is precisely because they need to husband their existing stocks of Warsaw Pact supplies to keep their forces functioning and aren't willing to risk the major expenditure of an offensive draining those out and leaving them helpless on the defensive. Getting their hands on NATO equipment and NATO logistical lines would mean those concerns can go away and they can attack freely without having to worry about potentially crippling themselves. It'd require long lead time to set up, but once it is they might have a great deal more freedom of action.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Boring poo poo like ammunition and spare parts doesn't grab the headlines and twitter feeds, but it's absolutely been supplied by NATO. Is it enough to keep up with their burn rate? I don't know, but if you look into the aid packages that have been sent, it's been in there.

They've also been grabbing quite a lot of stuff from the Russians, including artillery ammunition. Not sure if this is enough to offset expenditures, though; however, with the amount of equipment Russia is planning to ship to the front, I'm sure it'll be quite a bit more.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
This is a rather good photo.

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1515425115315613697?t=yExT66DeLxoGLfek1Q7Xkw&s=19

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sir Richard Attenborough:

Much like a lizard trying to escape a predator, sometimes tanks will eject their turret in a vain attempt to make their way to safety; this behavior has an unknown success rate, and may in fact attract another predator (the Ukrainian tractor).

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That’s such a good photo. Not saying it reminds me of anything but Games Workshop may sue anyone who tries to 3d print a copy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's fantastic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

steinrokkan posted:

Disregard all these dipshit "experts" on Twitter unless they provide a clear source...

Yuuuuup.

Don't go full Feigl-Ding.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

The 8th Army lost its original Lieutenant General Andrey Mordvichev back on March 16th, where again, the 150th Rifle Division is a constituent.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So Moskva proves that the russian military isn't the soviet one for sure. The russians COMPLETELY misunderstood what defense in depth meant.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Stravag posted:

So Moskva proves that the russian military isn't the soviet one for sure. The russians COMPLETELY misunderstood what defense in depth meant.

:drat:

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Tomn posted:

Also cross-posting this from the D&D thread because I'd like to know if you guys think this is at all plausible.

The government's social media pitch crew has basically confirmed part of it:

https://saveualist.com posted:

Artillery is the “bread and butter” of war. Ukraine’s “main” artillery calibers are 122 and 152 mm. The problem with 152 mm is that Ukraine DOES NOT produce ammo of this type (all it has is the legacy from the Soviet war machine). Thus, even though Ukraine has 152 mm cannons, it is quickly running out of ammo. Given the intensity of the conflict, it won’t be long before Ukraine doesn’t have any 152 mm ammo left. If that happens, Ukrainian forces won’t be able to shoot back, and Russian artillery will overwhelm them.

Ukraine would also greatly benefit from NATO’s modern 155 mm artillery, such as the M109 Howitzer. Both 152 mm and 155 mm are considered “heavy artillery” and are the main damage dealers on the battlefield.

I wouldn't be surprised if that went for all types of heavy munitions.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stravag posted:

Uh well their flagship is now completely invulnerable to anti-ship missiles, so maybe they're not so dumb after all.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yuuuuup.

Don't go full Feigl-Ding.

He’s bad?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

He will post literally anything that will scare your mother or grandma into panic-texting you his latest "we're all gonna die" COVID tweet.

Yes, I personally think he's bad and I know I'm not the only one who thinks so.

https://undark.org/2020/11/25/complicated-rise-of-eric-feigl-ding/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 17, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:goonsay:

It was actually "00000000." :colbert:

At least the USAF had eight digits. The Brits' ideas of PALs were "gee, Percy, I hope no blighter ever realizes we arm our eggs with bicycle lock keys."

That's how the USAF wanted to handle things, but the woosie civilians in charge disagreed. This is your weekly plug to read Command and Control.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Godholio posted:

This is your weekly plug to read Command and Control.

Only if your sense of dawning horror hasn’t really been fed recently. Idk if there’s a Soviet/Russian version available in English, but given recent events I feel like it’d be the the growing :stonklol: to end them all.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Icon Of Sin posted:

Only if your sense of dawning horror hasn’t really been fed recently. Idk if there’s a Soviet/Russian version available in English, but given recent events I feel like it’d be the the growing :stonklol: to end them all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PXFYPQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Don’t forget The Doomsday Machine by Daniel Ellsberg to add to that sense of unease that we as a species even figured out how to split atoms.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

The Dead Hand, David Hoffman

e: gently caress

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

A.o.D. posted:

"Chicago Piano"? "Hitler's Bone Saw"?!? Are they loving trolling?

Every year I hear a new nickname for the MG-42 that the GIs definitely used all of the time during the war.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Every year I hear a new nickname for the MG-42 that the GIs definitely used all of the time during the war.

MG-42? You mean Hitler's big fart?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’ve shot one. It’s a loving ripper.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

EasilyConfused posted:

MG-42? You mean Hitler's big fart?

:eng101: Rommel’s pantsplitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Schicklgruber‘S corncobber