Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
So, are there non-arduous ways I can watch the 00 Gundam movie? I feel like I should cap off that one by seeing how Patrick Coleslaw survives an alien invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gaius Marius posted:

If you redid the last two or three eps you'd have a solid upper middle tier Gundam, they really drag it down

I remain completely baffled by Nina. Like, just everything about her. Did anyone in the production of the show seriously think she was likable at all?

Cleretic posted:

So, are there non-arduous ways I can watch the 00 Gundam movie? I feel like I should cap off that one by seeing how Patrick Coleslaw survives an alien invasion.

It was actually on YouTube for public viewing last year sometime, but that appears to have been taken down since then. On the plus side, they did just upload the entire TV run of Gundam 00, so there's a chance they might bring it back sometime.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 16, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It shows up on Gundam Info from time to time. It's not up right now, but when Bandai does a big event they tend to put up some of the movies.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0U-od01QEo

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Starting 08th MS Team since I wanted something short after ZZ and something I'd watched before and I'm realizing I remember basically nothing about it aside from the Norris fight and the OP.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

08th MS Team has really hammered in for me that there are few non-problematic siblings in Gundam. Maybe Biscuit and his sisters but otherwise that's it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's problematic about Domon and Schwarz? Or Lyle and Neil? They're not necessarily healthy or good relationships, but I don't recall anything problematic about them. I wouldn't even really say Aida and Bellri's relationship is unreasonable in it's depiction, given the actual context. Bellri has an attraction to her before he realizes they are siblings and then gets over it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

What's problematic about Domon and Schwarz? Or Lyle and Neil? They're not necessarily healthy or good relationships, but I don't recall anything problematic about them. I wouldn't even really say Aida and Bellri's relationship is unreasonable in it's depiction, given the actual context. Bellri has an attraction to her before he realizes they are siblings and then gets over it.

I mean Domon spends half the series attempting to kill his brother who pretends to be a german ninja in response. They eventually make up but it is a kinda hosed up relationship.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Lyle kissed Neil's girlfriend, which I'm pretty sure breaks some form of literal Bro Code.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What was wrong with Dozle and Garma?

I just spent forever looking for a screenshot of Garma's route in one of the Gihren games where Dozle is grinning like a proud papa behind him. I could only find YT videos, though but I always loved that image. I like Garma having a happy ending with his beloved, dad, and big bro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oRAdkDG99I

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're talking Iron Blooded Orphans, Takaki and Fuka Uno seem to be pretty alright. He works hard to put her through school, she appreciates the effort and cooks, and he even brings friends from the office home to meet her. Plus, their family life meant Takaki was the only person to get the gently caress out of dodge when Tekkadan's Bad Decision Engine started picking up speed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tulalip Tulips posted:

08th MS Team has really hammered in for me that there are few non-problematic siblings in Gundam. Maybe Biscuit and his sisters but otherwise that's it.

Once it's revealed they're siblings, Bellri and Aila get over their incestual lust pretty quickly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Domon spends half the series attempting to kill his brother who pretends to be a german ninja in response. They eventually make up but it is a kinda hosed up relationship.

Sure, that'd be why I said it might not be healthy or good, but doesn't seem problematic. I'd also submit that the fact that Domon didn't even know Schwarz was his brother, because Schwarz was actively hiding that information from Domon, rather changes the context and nullifies any argument that it's hosed up for Domon to be attacking his brother. Plus, you know, the whole "apparent matricide thing" kind of colored Domon's perception of his brother.

Cleretic posted:

Lyle kissed Neil's girlfriend, which I'm pretty sure breaks some form of literal Bro Code.

Feldt wasn't Neil's girlfriend. She had a crush on him, but I don't believe they were ever implied or stated to be in a relationship. Never mind that Lyle kissed her solely to make her stop viewing him as his brother.

NikkolasKing posted:

What was wrong with Dozle and Garma?

I just spent forever looking for a screenshot of Garma's route in one of the Gihren games where Dozle is grinning like a proud papa behind him. I could only find YT videos, though but I always loved that image. I like Garma having a happy ending with his beloved, dad, and big bro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oRAdkDG99I

I always loved the scene in 0079 where the Zabi family are discussing Garma's death, and Dozle walks in talking about how he can't believe it's real and was looking forward to the day that Garma would be giving him orders. Dozle is a terrifying, but lovable idiot who'll do menstruous things for his family but does love them.

Gripweed posted:

Once it's revealed they're siblings, Bellri and Aila get over their incestual lust pretty quickly.

Did Aida ever show an attraction to Bellri? I remember it being rather one sided on his part. Aida had only recently lost a lover to Bellri after all, so it'd seem weird for her to have any attraction to him, and her initial hostility makes sense on that grounds, even if she came to accept that the guy's death was just an unfortunate consequence of war and no longer held it against Bellri.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

Did Aida ever show an attraction to Bellri? I remember it being rather one sided on his part. Aida had only recently lost a lover to Bellri after all, so it'd seem weird for her to have any attraction to him, and her initial hostility makes sense on that grounds, even if she came to accept that the guy's death was just an unfortunate consequence of war and no longer held it against Bellri.

There's a scene where they're both going "Thanks, sis" "You know it, bro" really over the top and other characters kinda roll their eyes. At the very least she knew that Bellri was attracted to her and felt the awkwardness after the reveal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bellri was an open book start to finish.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I rarely visit this thread and the last time I was basically gushing about Hathaway and I'd still like to say I love the film. Also I genuinely might prefer the English dub over the original VA, but they sound very equal to me. I still get goose bumps out of the night club -> the assault scene transition. Like legit, I don't remember seeing an action scene I like as much in a while. On subsequent watches I keep wondering about timing of various characters being there and what's the actual relations and goals of each one, including Gigi. I was also surprised to find the novels were written by Tomino himself. Reading summary of the first novel, I find it expands on some aspects or makes them more obvious compared to the film adaptation.

I wonder if I should resist reading the summaries of the following books too. It's unlikely we'll ever get a full translation, and film sequel is probably far off.

Maybe I should finish Zeta and watch the other chronologically following series too while resisting the temptation.

In before replies of "Hathaway is actually poo poo and you have bad taste"

edit: the worst thing might've been rough cgi in some scenes like the boat and the plane and some short scenes were faces were very obviously cgi instead of drawn.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah Hathaway's Flash first movie is fantastic and one of the best things the series has ever put out. I was very ready to dunk on it pre release due to how much I dislike Xi and Penelope and I adored every minute of it.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

tsob posted:

Dozle is a terrifying, but lovable idiot who'll do menstruous things for his family but does love them.

The Zabi family sure has a blood soaked destiny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, but Bellri loses points for carving through an entire neutral military patrol just to vent his frustration first.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Hathaway won me over by having its big action setpiece being people desperately trying to take refuge from the Gundam fight going on around them.

The Xi Gundam looks bad, and its fight scene being in the dark didn't help it given how hard it was to make sense of its build, but it's ultimately a small oart of the movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The movie loses a lot of steam after the Messer vs Gustav Karl fight. The finale being the setup for movie 2 didn't give a very satisfactory conclusion imo.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The Xi looks bad static but in motion it looked like a sick dragon kind of thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

holy fuckin poo poo that's a thick boy

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

F91 has some great scenes of civilians trying to escape the destruction of suits fighting.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GodFish posted:

The Xi looks bad static but in motion it looked like a sick dragon kind of thing.

I think you're thinking of the Penelope? The flight unit has that distinctive tail-looking bit when it's flying.

Azubah posted:

F91 has some great scenes of civilians trying to escape the destruction of suits fighting.

So does 0080, and Unicorn has that one scene when the Shamblo's beam reflections slice through the fire escape that a mother was running down carrying her infant and :stonk:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, the Xi just needs to get rid of those bizarre calf-fins. Without those, it'd be a busy but basically OK design. They're the detail that tips the whole thing over the edge into illegible, impractical nonsense that primarily seems to exist to get in the way of itself.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Hathaway won me over by having its big action setpiece being people desperately trying to take refuge from the Gundam fight going on around them.

The Xi Gundam looks bad, and its fight scene being in the dark didn't help it given how hard it was to make sense of its build, but it's ultimately a small oart of the movie.

Oh yeah I like the depiction of the mobile suits from a civilian's perspective, how random energy beam ricochets have the power to instantly vaporize metal, how the mobile suits are horrifying instruments of war. And even the overhead shots in the city give you sense of scale with these monsters. Also that scene in general has a sense of kinetic energy when these machines go toe to toe in close combat.

Also I could not tell you how either of the gundams even look in that film except the other one was of "the ominous carapace/beetle as it hovers"-type. There's probably a name for them in the franchise.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Warmachine posted:

I think you're thinking of the Penelope? The flight unit has that distinctive tail-looking bit when it's flying.

You're probably right, I can't keep the names straight. Whichever one Hathaway doesn't pilot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Really all the Xi needs is the big folding wings that sit on its shoulders like the Deathscythe Hell and then open up for flight. It's a bit too much of a jagged mess any other time you see it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The civilian PoV does a better job at showing the horror of war than the ruined cities after the big mobile suit battles or even from a suit's PoV. It's just this hopeless carnage where there is no escape.

Azubah fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 16, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really liked the bit where they took cover under a building for a while and then the building started to collapse because one of the mobile suits was now standing on top of it. it seemed like such a solid, mundane location but then it was destroyed so casually.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Really all the Xi needs is the big folding wings that sit on its shoulders like the Deathscythe Hell and then open up for flight. It's a bit too much of a jagged mess any other time you see it.

The folding fins on its back do also work as extra navigational aids for the Minovsky Flight System that are in a practical place and don't get in the way of anything. It's just the almost-face on its chest and especially the big upturned fins on its calves that are seriously dumb.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's episode 4 of War in the Pocket and who would have figured this small child would be exposed to the horrors of war

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's episode 4 of War in the Pocket and who would have figured this small child would be exposed to the horrors of war

I mean, if Gundam ZZ, Victory, and Wing have taught me anything, it's that small children and teenagers are pretty much built to quickly recover from any and all emotional trauma!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gundam Alex is pretty cool. It's a more basic Gundam, but it's a decent variation on the design.

Armor is a bit much though.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Michel is alot here towards the end 08th MS team.

Aldo lol Ginias. Just loving lol.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 17, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I do like the concept of it, being a testbed for downscaled technology so it's a ridiculous bulky mess, but yeah it's just too messy in motion

e: not as much as the penelope though, good luck figuring out what the gently caress that thing is doing in a firefight

e2: though with the penelope i do like how the core gundam has wonky proportions because it has to fit in what is essentially a bird-shaped ufo

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 17, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Yinlock posted:

I do like the concept of it, being a testbed for downscaled technology so it's a ridiculous bulky mess, but yeah it's just too messy in motion

There's some skill required to make a good 'ugly cool' mechanical design, that's simultaneously cool to the audience while clearly being a total mess in-universe, and the hardest part is that if you fail at the latter you also fail at the former, which is what happened with the Xi.

The Zeong, the Tieren from 00, most of the non-star designs from Turn-A, they nail the 'I love this terrible piece of poo poo' look that the Xi failed at.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess we'll see if it looks any better in daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Xi honestly shouldn't be too ugly-cool. That's what the Penelope is for. The Xi is supposed to be a refined, perfected, and stylish showcase of all its new tech. That's what makes its ugly, busy design stand out even more.