Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Hace posted:

the context for this is that shield hero's world has slave party buffs lol

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tq0aS5Zu8

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Hace posted:

let he who has not enslaved others for the sick +20% attack bonus cast the first stone

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hace posted:

Min/maxing your party ain't easy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sometimes I worry she's only with me for the 40% fire resistance

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

also japanese cultural sensibilities vs western

what

i mean like actually what. can you explain this statement. a lot of these stories are like basically edited transcripts of old fanfic the authors wrote and i can guarantee you that western fanfic also has a lot of weird stuff in it so i have no idea what this statement means

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's so awkward that they're starting to subtitle the anime after the arcs because man these arc names aren't very good.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1515347899042861061?t=47dU0mNMY_CUTldkli2TgQ&s=19

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dunno why they are still hiding the studio, we all know its not gonna be one of the big names

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Supremezero posted:

I'll admit I don't know the context, but, uh, this from earlier in the thread is kind of damning.

Hace posted:

Also the immediate outcome of that scene was that the green haired girl begged the Shield Hero to cast a slave pact spell on her and he went "Well okay, if that's what you really want" and did it

The first season also had lots of wacky scenes where one of the other isekai heroes would attack the Shield Hero for owning slaves and he'd have to fight them off and explain it was only because they really enjoyed being his slave, it was totally their choice and then the slaves would also step in and defend him. You know, that special wholesome voluntary kind of slavery where the slaves have a much better life than they would have otherwise and are super grateful to their owners for looking after them so well.
:yikes:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't forget the pedophilia

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm glad I simply do not watch these shows, instead of having an encyclopedic knowledge of the problematic elements of each one.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's the price you pay for mildly caring about the cute raccoon girl

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm glad I simply do not watch these shows, instead of having an encyclopedic knowledge of the problematic elements of each one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

dogsicle posted:

it's the price you pay for mildly caring about the cute raccoon girl

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Another decent episode of Ao Ashi. It seems they have adapting it pretty faithfully. They cut little bits and pieces though. The animation is decent for a sports anime. And it seems the people doing the localization have someone that has researched or knows about the sport. Too often it seems like people who localize sports manga/anime get terminology or how people say it wrong/awkward too many times.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is the way

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Fine, if I can't call things "wholesome" anymore, I'll call them "soft and comfy".

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

forum posters find a new word 2022 challenge

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I generally understood wholesome to refer to one of two possible scenarios:

1) In a non-isekai; the show itself is generally wholesome by showcasing some sort of adorable family dynamic or friendship. Kobayashi Maid Dragon is generally wholesome. Komi-San can't communicate is presumably wholesome.

2) In Isekai; there's another two possibilities; (a) the show itself like above, is generally wholesome; because its breezy, light, featuring some sort of chill almost slice of life energy; stakes are low. While still taking place in a fantasy world/etc. (b) The setting/story isn't low stakes and horrible things can be happening; but the core dynamic between the main characters is wholesome and making do in spite of the rest of the story/setting.

As a result wholesome gets used in multiple situations that appears to be interchangeable at a glance, but there is context and intent that differentiates the use of the word as a descriptor.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When I think of the word wholesome as a descriptor for media the first thing that comes to my mind is that it's family friendly, for all ages, etc which is to say uh I definitely would never call Dragon Maid that!

Which just gets back to how it's a meaningless buzzword that means plenty of different things to plenty of different people. Personally I think it's better when folks post from the heart while also trying to avoid buzzwords :cheerdoge:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dictionaries are ftw

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

prescriptivism is ftl, actually

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
somewhole

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is the current state of wholesome not an exact copy of the fight over deconstruction a decade ago

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
love after world domination is good. check out this perfect date

kater
Nov 16, 2010

citrus was wholesome

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Really wish there were a show about a guy who's deeply embarrassed about his interests who meets a girl who's far more open about hers causing him to learn an important lesson that he should embrace who he is

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Really wish there were a show about a guy who's deeply embarrassed about his interests who meets a girl who's far more open about hers causing him to learn an important lesson that he should embrace who he is
Mods, ban this sick filth.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

sounds dangerously close to what some sickos refer to as 'wholesome'

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Strange Quark posted:

Is the current state of wholesome not an exact copy of the fight over deconstruction a decade ago

No because someone has probably used wholesome correctly at some point

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you should give this unknown underrated little gem a go

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Glad we've all learned this lesson now.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
everyone will wat ch uta kata

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spy x Family already has a thread, though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Birdie Wing continues to be great.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the immediate outcome of that scene was that the green haired girl begged the Shield Hero to cast a slave pact spell on her and he went "Well okay, if that's what you really want" and did it

The first season also had lots of wacky scenes where one of the other isekai heroes would attack the Shield Hero for owning slaves and he'd have to fight them off and explain it was only because they really enjoyed being his slave, it was totally their choice and then the slaves would also step in and defend him. You know, that special wholesome voluntary kind of slavery where the slaves have a much better life than they would have otherwise and are super grateful to their owners for looking after them so well.
:yikes:

Jesus Christ, this is the same slavery apologia poo poo that you hear from chuds and neo-confederates in real life. Someone should adapt Uncle Tom's Cabin into an anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I made the mistake of embracing who I really was before a cute girl could inspire me to do so, now none of the girls want me