Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Libluini posted:

That sounds incredibly dumb. Storms, wild animals, regular pirate attacks in space. NMS all had this for many years now. This new planetary poo poo may send some impressive alerts, but you can safely ignore it.

So I'm forced to conclude that those comments on Steam are real, because people are really that stupid.

The new update has definitely increased the amount of combat, and not just alerts that you can ignore. I'm getting scanned and attacked or just randomly strafed by pirates a LOT. It's not gamebreaking, but I'd prefer they tone it down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

HopperUK posted:

For the twitch drops IIRC I don't actually need to be watching, right? I can just leave the stream on in another tab and mute it? I want that little pointy dog pet thing.

This is 100% correct. Just check back every little while to make your the stream you’re “watching” is still going.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The frequency of attacks seems like a bug for sure. I can't walk on a planet near a building for two minutes without being bombarded and even in calm systems I'm getting scanned and pirate bounties are popping up constantly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Well OK, I guess because my giant base I've been working on for so long kept me totally safe, I assumed the new attacks weren't a big deal maybe a bit too fast. Yikes that sounds a bit much.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

You can also use Twitch Drops Miner to idle for drops without wasting bandwidth on a stream
https://github.com/DevilXD/TwitchDropsMiner/releases

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The new auto-lock feature on ship combat seems to be an easy death sentence since it will quickly ram you into every possible nearby object in an attempt to keep reticle focus.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Infinite cargo money glitch is still active.:toot:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gyoru posted:

You can also use Twitch Drops Miner to idle for drops without wasting bandwidth on a stream
https://github.com/DevilXD/TwitchDropsMiner/releases

oh neat, thank you! I just got all today's anyway by leaving a reasonably non-obnoxious guy on in the background while I did art and stuff so it worked out. Must remember to log in tomorrow, I badly want the bubbles for my jetpack.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HopperUK posted:

I mean, it's a lot of fun, I think it's good. People say it's shallow but honestly I get a bit confused about what sort of depth they were expecting. There's lots to do and it's very pretty.

i think whats meant by shallow is that its a huge "diverse" universe but its also basically the same stuff everywhere you go. they added new planet types in various updates but the nature of the procgen universe still means you are encountering roughly the same random mix of planets everywhere, and also in terms of representing "space" its still very very simple. planets just kind of sit there in a box, they dont rotate around stars. there are no gas giants, nor white dwarfs or red giants. gravity barely matters at all. black holes are just a travel mechanic. there are three major "alien races" but they are distributed completely at random throughout the universe instead of having, like, formal territories or any kind of state or nation with a capital or military or really much of a culture at all. there are trading outposts and other building types distributed randomly across the surface of various planets in a way that makes little sense from a settlement perspective, and now they've added small towns to that mix, but its still a very superficial take on how planet settlement would work - there are no cities, nor is any kind of farming or terraforming done by any of these three races. until the latest update, every space station had an identical interior. every freighter has an identical interior. whether a an npc is gek or korvax or whatever has no bearing on what kind of ship they fly, there are no reasons behind any of the styles of ships and who flies them or where they fly to or from - cargo ships don't fly cargo routes, fighters don't do more fighting than any other kind of ship, etc. its all just random

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 16, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Earwicker posted:

gravity barely matters at all. black holes are just a travel mechanic. there are three major "alien races" but they are distributed completely at random throughout the universe instead of having, like, formal territories or any kind of state or nation with a capital or military or really much of a culture at all. there are trading outposts and other building types distributed randomly across the surface of various planets in a way that makes little sense from a settlement perspective, and now they've added small towns to that mix, but its still a very superficial take on how planet settlement would work - there are no cities, nor is any kind of farming or terraforming done by any of these three races. until the latest update, every space station had an identical interior. every freighter has an identical interior. whether a an npc is gek or korvax or whatever has no bearing on what kind of ship they fly, there are no reasons behind any of the styles of ships and who flies them or where they fly to or from - cargo ships don't fly cargo routes, fighters don't do more fighting than any other kind of ship, etc. its all just random

See all of this is a bonus to me. It fits the sandbox style I think. Absolutely agreed on the procgen though

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont think "shallow" is necessarily a bad thing. i enjoy the game, i play it in creative mode and just gently caress around building bases mainly. its just not a deep scifi experience or universe at all, the scifi/space theme is just a very superficial window dressing

i do wish they added a bit more to the culture side of things at least, like gek, korvax, and vykeen each having a distinct style of space station interior and exterior, and distinct styles of trading posts and factories etc. on planets

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Earwicker posted:

i dont think "shallow" is necessarily a bad thing. i enjoy the game, i play it in creative mode and just gently caress around building bases mainly. its just not a deep scifi experience or universe at all, the scifi/space theme is just a very superficial window dressing

i do wish they added a bit more to the culture side of things at least, like gek, korvax, and vykeen each having a distinct style of space station interior and exterior, and distinct styles of trading posts and factories etc. on planets

Yeah that would be extremely cool

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the new warp effects when ships warp into system look much, much worse than the old simple effect imo

otherwise this was a good update

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Having a tough time farming for Solar ships. I've been to four pirate stations so far and all only had C-class clunkers. I bought the first one, upgraded it to S-class and got all inventory slots and upgrades for it and it's pretty nuts. Super fast and tears through pirates.

I just don't like the way it looks. :mad:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Find a trading post in an outlaw system. Ships show up at those more often.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Stare-Out posted:

I just don't like the way it looks. :mad:

That's why I choose all my ships based on ~ aesthetics ~ and if I can't get a good class for it gently caress it, that's what nanites and farming exotics for upgrades are for.

I've also been experimenting with mid-dogfight photography

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The new update has definitely increased the amount of combat, and not just alerts that you can ignore. I'm getting scanned and attacked or just randomly strafed by pirates a LOT. It's not gamebreaking, but I'd prefer they tone it down a bit.

Agreed, I do feel bad for anyone who was relying on a full on "chill out vibes only" game prior to this. Between this and the sentinel update it's absolutely made combat in general more tense (which I'm cool with), but unlike the sentinel "just don't set up shop on an aggressive sentinel planet" (which nearly nobody did anyways), this one has heavy pirate presence even in non-outlaw sectors which probably shouldn't actually be a thing. Random scans in space from pirates, sure, but pirates strafing ground installations in both outlaw and secure systems doesn't make much sense*

* Especially after I accidentally aggroed sentinels in space with an errant shotgun pellet and ended up with foreverally-spawning "10 sentinels left" no matter how many I killed, real nice of atlas to want to kill the player like that but if a ground installation is strafed by pirates it's just like eh, not my problem lol

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's why I choose all my ships based on ~ aesthetics ~ and if I can't get a good class for it gently caress it, that's what nanites and farming exotics for upgrades are for.

I've also been experimenting with mid-dogfight photography

Nice shots! Also I guess complaining on the internet works sometimes, a few minutes after I made that post I went to another pirate system and found an S-class Solar ship that matches my character's look really well. Thank god the money exploit still works, I've spent like 2 billion units on Solar ships today!

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Do solars get a new cockpit view? Could somebody with one post a screenshot if they do?

I'm waffling on reinstalling NMS for ~pirate stuff~ otherwise I'd just look for one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Death Panel Czar posted:

Do solars get a new cockpit view? Could somebody with one post a screenshot if they do?

I'm waffling on reinstalling NMS for ~pirate stuff~ otherwise I'd just look for one.

They have the transparent solar sails that obscure a fair amount of the sides of the cockpit view when in space but they retract while you're on a planet.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Starting back up after not playing the game for actual years - I have piles of nanites and around 1.5 B credits.

I have a few questions:
1. How do I start/do expeditions? I can't seem to find them in the anomaly.

2. What's the money exploit? I like money...

3. What's the best way to get phosphorous and dihydrogen?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Vasler posted:

Starting back up after not playing the game for actual years - I have piles of nanites and around 1.5 B credits.

I have a few questions:
1. How do I start/do expeditions? I can't seem to find them in the anomaly.

Exepeditions aren't played on your main save, they're a new game, start from the main menu. It's a wholly different game mode.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vasler posted:

2. Put anything in your ship's cargo inventory and then sell it. Repeatedly.

3. The lazy "I'm too rich to work" way is to just sit in a space station and talk to people flying in and buy it, along with "a stack or so of any other resources you might end up needing since a stack of 9999 of everything is going to keep you going for a long time". Dihydrogen usually comes in jelly form when purchased and can be rendered down from 1 jelly->50 Dihydrogen in your backpack refiner.

The "actually hunting it down" way involves going to any planet that has "Phosphorus" showing up on the list of elements when you scan it from a distance; dihydrogen is a blue crystal that can be found on literally every planet.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Aster0ids posted:

I was referring to the multiple posts of uninstall etc... on steam because they are saying they are forced into combat and losing their chill experience, dont even know how much substance there is to all those claims.

Pirate attacks are kind of a huge pain in the arse right now. No matter where I go, I can't walk around a planet for more than a minute or two, or even try to set up a base, before a bunch of pirate ships appear out of nowhere and start making bombing runs on me or some nearby structure I'm checking out, and they don't just go away. Even when they're not attacking you directly, it definitely loses the chill "exploration" vibe because wherever you go, every two minutes there's a bunch of endless alarms and alerts and ships zooming around and poo poo's on fire and exploding everywhere around you.

They also attack your settlements like every few minutes when you're there, and at one point I got stuck in an infinite loop of pirates-Sentinels-pirates-Sentinels-pirates-Sentinels ad infinitum until I finally just gave up and left the planet.

On another note, found a couple rather profitable bugs; after one seemingly quest-related Sentinel attack on my settlement, I ended up with infinitely respawning dead Sentinel canisters falling out of the sky all over the place. Every time I collected a few, three more would appear. I have so much freaky Sentinel glass right now...

Also found my first outlaw system after following that quest line, and the dude selling contraband is selling tons of all of the suspicious packages for the same numerical price as the normal scrap dealer...but in UNITS instead of tainted metal. So like a few hundred units or less per item that's guaranteed to drop something worth many, many times that amount, or a bunch of nanites.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

This game with a dwarf fortress style lore and civilization and world building like, actual story that makes sense would be awesome?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Exepeditions aren't played on your main save, they're a new game, start from the main menu. It's a wholly different game mode.

Oh, wild! Do you get anything from them that transfers over into your main game?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Vasler posted:

Oh, wild! Do you get anything from them that transfers over into your main game?

Yeah several things and they will be available to any save file you have or start. Go to the quicksilver dealer in the anomoly to claim them.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The 3rd cannon upgrade on the infra-knife turns it into an extraordinary pirate murderer compared to the base version. The positronic ejector is also just insanely good, but significantly shorter range and a single miss is more impactful.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vasler posted:

Yeah, when you're playing through you'll notice the "Phase Rewards" for doing everything in each step; all of those are account-wide. Most of them tend to be base decorations or titles; depending on the expedition there's also usually The Big Expedition Complete Reward that tends to be something like "a unique otherwise-unobtainable ship/pet/piece of armor". If you talk to the quicksilver dude in the anomaly on any other save on your account you can re-redeem those rewards, once per account.

Omnicarus posted:

The 3rd cannon upgrade on the infra-knife turns it into an extraordinary pirate murderer compared to the base version. The positronic ejector is also just insanely good, but significantly shorter range and a single miss is more impactful.

The difference between "the base positron ejector" and "the positron ejector with 6 S-class upgrades" cannot be overstated. It's the difference between a pump action shotgun and a machine gun with shotgun shells, it's nuts.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I built myself a very powerful blaze javelin and then discovered that it straight up doesn't register hits on sentidogs. Back to the pulse splitter I guess.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks, everyone! One final question - where do I actually get the twitch drop things in game?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

AirRaid posted:

Recent shots only!

My settlement is on such a pretty anomaly planet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Ooooh! Do those little lights move around or are they steady?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vasler posted:

Thanks, everyone! One final question - where do I actually get the twitch drop things in game?

Same spot, quicksilver vendor. If you have drops available to be claimed the UI should bug you about it incessantly once you get to the anomaly

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

HopperUK posted:

Ooooh! Do those little lights move around or are they steady?

The grass? It streams and is beautiful and makes me wish for a ridiculous draw distance. With those hills in the back it would be so freaking amazing.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

I claimed the Golden Vector just fine, maybe the save is bugged?

I made a new save, I assumed it carried across saves since I did it on the account

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Mokinokaro posted:

Screenshots like that make me miss the game. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new GPU here soon and actually enjoy it at decent settings.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Same spot, quicksilver vendor. If you have drops available to be claimed the UI should bug you about it incessantly once you get to the anomaly

Hmm, I have the drops claimed on twitch and my steam account is linked as is my NMS one, but there's no twitch drops showing up at the quicksilver guy :(

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vasler posted:

Hmm, I have the drops claimed on twitch and my steam account is linked as is my NMS one, but there's no twitch drops showing up at the quicksilver guy :(

I just checked and the twitch drops I claimed earlier today are showing up as expected, if you're sure everything's linked properly then a full save-quit game-reload may be required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Earwicker posted:

i think whats meant by shallow is that its a huge "diverse" universe but its also basically the same stuff everywhere you go. they added new planet types in various updates but the nature of the procgen universe still means you are encountering roughly the same random mix of planets everywhere, and also in terms of representing "space" its still very very simple. planets just kind of sit there in a box, they dont rotate around stars. there are no gas giants, nor white dwarfs or red giants. gravity barely matters at all. black holes are just a travel mechanic. there are three major "alien races" but they are distributed completely at random throughout the universe instead of having, like, formal territories or any kind of state or nation with a capital or military or really much of a culture at all. there are trading outposts and other building types distributed randomly across the surface of various planets in a way that makes little sense from a settlement perspective, and now they've added small towns to that mix, but its still a very superficial take on how planet settlement would work - there are no cities, nor is any kind of farming or terraforming done by any of these three races. until the latest update, every space station had an identical interior. every freighter has an identical interior. whether a an npc is gek or korvax or whatever has no bearing on what kind of ship they fly, there are no reasons behind any of the styles of ships and who flies them or where they fly to or from - cargo ships don't fly cargo routes, fighters don't do more fighting than any other kind of ship, etc. its all just random

I'd just like the procgen ramped up (or with the ability to choose) to such a degree that I get weird broken plants, animals and planets. I like sim games and could do with the heavy/deep sim features but I don't need them to enjoy NMS. I tend to play it as more of a casual version of those games anyway.