Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

CBP can look inside a container on the pier with mobile VACIS. I wouldn’t be shocked if there was a legit way to look inside a cardboard package.

Shipping containers are sometimes inspected using neutrons, lets you get an idea of the atomic composition of the contents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

orange sky posted:

I feel like this is an actual color blindness test. I can't see poo poo.

Whole bunch of people in that shot who don't appear to have put lipstick on are somehow wearing the same colour of really smudged lipstick around their mouths.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The Bloop posted:

lol

Dowsing for drugs

It's actuslly not that funny, some UK scammer ""invented"" these for detecting drugs and explosives and sold them to the Pakistan, Iraqi and Afghan military as bomb detectors. Inside they're completely empty and the "cards" that you could plug in to detect different drugs and explosives were just an old ps2 memory card tool being made in different colours.

These likely caused hundreds, possibly up to a thousand deaths of western troops in the region because it meant that native troops were waving through IED laden vehicles onto western checkpoints or "sweeping" roads that were then found to be covered in IEDs, blowing up the troops when they rolled through.

Like war is poo poo and all that and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were a waste of time, money and manpower but letting our allies who we trusted to do bomb detection work for us use obviously fake equipment is a complete scandal. The guy only did 10 years in jail for running this scam despite making tens of millions over a 5 year period and killing more troops than Al Qaeda did.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The devices actually function perfectly. Their purpose is to validate your gut feelings and provide 'probable cause' to search whatever it is you feel like searching and pass whatever you feel like passing. And they do this job flawlessly.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Rainbow party starting off right

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus I'd forgotten all about that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/TVbnJV4.mp4

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Inceltown posted:

Whole bunch of people in that shot who don't appear to have put lipstick on are somehow wearing the same colour of really smudged lipstick around their mouths.

Ah. Much clearer if I zoom in. I thought it was just honkies with rosacea and so I was looking for weird hand placements.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

The Anime Liker posted:

honkies with rosacea

This is my new band name.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zipperelli. posted:

Is it true the USPS needs a warrant to open packages for suspicion of a crime, and that UPS/FedEx/DHL don't, or is that some "my uncle works at nintendo" level foolishness?

The folks I knew back in the 80s would always ship weed FedEx because due to the processing/delivery speed, it was far less likely to be stopped.

However, back then, FedEx would select packages at random & run a sharp probe through them, looking for contraband. The weed was consequently packed into a Rubbermaid wastebasket, because if the probe encountered any resistance, they would stop.

I learned this during my wild & misspent youth.

PainterofCrap has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Apr 15, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PainterofCrap posted:

However, back then, FedEx would select packages at random & run a sharp probe through them, looking for contraband. The weed was consequently packed into a Rubbermaid wastebasket, because if the probe encountered any resistance, they would stop.

How did this not screw up packages? Any bagged powder, paste, or liquid would end up all over the place.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
always buy memory from the manufacturer, Sandisk etc sell direct on their own website and it's worth it just to not get some fake product from Amazon or whoever

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When I worked for FedEx we didn’t check anything. We would more often find undeclared hazmat than any other problems. We did have a package of weed come through where some genius cut holes in oranges and stuffed the weed in leaky, cut-open oranges in a cardboard box. The box got to our terminal spilling open where the orange juice dissolved it and weed-packed oranges spilling out. Dude, just package it properly so it doesn’t bust open and we will never know. We don’t want to know. Not our liability. Just send your weed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

freeedr posted:

When I worked for FedEx we didn’t check anything. We would more often find undeclared hazmat than any other problems. We did have a package of weed come through where some genius cut holes in oranges and stuffed the weed in leaky, cut-open oranges in a cardboard box. The box got to our terminal spilling open where the orange juice dissolved it and weed-packed oranges spilling out. Dude, just package it properly so it doesn’t bust open and we will never know. We don’t want to know. Not our liability. Just send your weed.

What a dope!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Shipping containers are sometimes inspected using neutrons, lets you get an idea of the atomic composition of the contents.

Yeah one of my profs back as an undergrad came up with parts of that (he was at one of the National labs)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The Anime Liker posted:

Yeah I'm definitely checking them out because I can just see myself doing a full shoot for a client and 4 photos were saved because Amazon is trash company.

This is especially funny because I got the new camera from Best Buy because I didn't trust Amazon to actually send me a working, new, undamaged camera because they pay their employees pennies to throw that poo poo in a bucket as fast as possible then chuck it into a truck that's then unloaded by another underpaid laborer who doesn't give a poo poo.

I've yet to receive a fragile product from Amazon that didn't look like it was mauled by a bear.

A few months ago I ordered something from Amazon that was advertised as new. It came in a used sandwich bag that still had crumbs in it and half of the product was gone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Was it a sandwich?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Was it a sandwich?

Not anymore :mad:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Eupholie_/status/1514967359336898566

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Facebook Aunt posted:

What a dope!
Weeding out the weak

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Was it a sandwich?

It was pheromones/dispenser for my dog because he has anxiety issues.

Hot dog pheromones, so it's kind of a sandwich I guess

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Mods I need a name change to Hot Dog Pheromones please and thank you

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Eww, pash rash.
Imagine kissing someone's mouth.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mechanical Pencil posted:

Eww, pash rash.
Imagine kissing someone's mouth.

The actual funny is what shows up in UV light.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

They didn't kill Jesus for his parlor tricks. They killed him for pissing off the Roman state.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Railing Kill posted:

They didn't kill Jesus for his parlor tricks. They killed him for pissing off the Roman state.

Specifically, claiming he was king.

That’s why Socrates is cooler. He was just straight up trolling everyone until the community decided to kill him for being a constant little poo poo.

Right down to the end, too. His suggestion for punishment was :discourse:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Socrates was a bitch that spent his entire trial deliberately pissing off the court and was mostly executed for his strong ties to the proto-fascist oligarchy that temporarily overthrew democracy after the Spartan victory in the Peloponnesian War.

Mostly just an ancient version of Nurmeberg but if Jünger or Spengler had been tried for inspiring the entire thing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basically what I'm saying that Socrates deserved to die and if anything got off easy.

If anything Plato should've been killed as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

only philosopher i respect is diogenes

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A local park has a statue of Diogenes dedicated by someone to their father and it's like, drat how much of an rear end in a top hat was your dad?

"Oh yeah, well my dad was also a big angry jerk who famously masturbated in public so it seemed fitting"

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

OwlFancier posted:

only philosopher i respect is diogenes

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Basically what I'm saying that Socrates deserved to die and if anything got off easy.

If anything Plato should've been killed as well.

Tremendously selling short how much Aristotle needed some hemlock

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Diogenes did nothing wrong.

Plato and Socrates (if Socrates existed as anything more than a literary device invented by Plato) deserved nothing but a painful death.

Also Aristotleles was a moron.

Epicurus had some good ideas.

Pythagoras was a dweeb.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Diogenes did nothing wrong.

Plato and Socrates (if Socrates existed as anything more than a literary device invented by Plato) deserved nothing but a painful death.

Also Aristotleles was a moron.

Epicurus had some good ideas.

Pythagoras was a dweeb.

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'bout the raising of the wrist
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill

Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram

And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am."

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One thing Socrates did right (if he existed at all) was his pure fiery contempt for Sophists.

Jordan Peterson and his ilk (all 'politics' Twitch streamers and all pundits) are modern Sophists spouting empty rhetoric with no actual content for the amusement of the masses and should probably be killed.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Gettin' angry about people for whom there is limited textural evidence.

Anaximander was a complete poo poo who stole the gnomon from the Egyptians.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FreudianSlippers posted:

One thing Socrates did right (if he existed at all) was his pure fiery contempt for Sophists.

Jordan Peterson and his ilk (all 'politics' Twitch streamers and all pundits) are modern Sophists spouting empty rhetoric with no actual content for the amusement of the masses and should probably be killed.

The only person here who should be killed is me, for being criminally handsome and also just a criminal

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

That is what pure performance looks like.