Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

forkboy84 posted:

I live 15 miles from a town that the bus takes nearly an hour to travel. Still don't need a car baybay

I, unfortunately, wouldn't have a job or be able to take my girlfriend to her work in hospitals without my car. Much as I dislike it.

Also if you take a bus it's around about a 5 pound trip there and back.

Car costs a whack to get, but ours was old so car tax was 35 quid for the year. But it costs more in transport to bus to places than it does in parking fees in a lot of cases. Take Edinburgh. It would have cost me and the gf 300 pound to get 2 tickets there and back, whereas a car trip cost us about... 65 for the city centre parking and fuel? Working in tourism also means that I can't get the bus if I'm working at the lead mine for some of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mebh posted:

Even if i got a taxi at peak to and from work every single day with 255 working days a year that's £18 x255 = £4590.

It would definitely be cheaper for me not to have a car, but in rural areas there are typically not enough taxis to rely on like that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You do not spend £1300 a year on maintenance for a car, where did you get that figure from? I've never had a car cost that. For reference i've just put a car through a service + mot and even with 2 new tyres it still came in under £300.

And your estimate for fuel mileage is way off for what you're suggesting. I've done a holiday trip from the Bournemouth to Inverness this year and even with commuting I've not done more than 6k miles.

So if you remove nearly 2k from your estimate it leaves you with about £1k of available funds for vacations.

Depending on how expensive a vehicle you buy the repayments will also come to an end after a few years and you'll get that £1800 per year back as well. At that point its more expensive to not have it to continue what you want to do. Further the option of having a car opens up way more opportunities. You can decide on a Sunday morning to drive off into the countryside to go for a walk in places miles from train stations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

It would definitely be cheaper for me not to have a car, but in rural areas there are typically not enough taxis to rely on like that.

I mean even a taxi ride of 15 mins cost about 25 quid one evening when we didn't want to catch the buss, so it also depends on where you are.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mebh posted:

Sorry for the stupid huge post, this kinda got out of hand...

Cars are super useful i get that. Especially if you commute. What I'm taking about is all the other uses.

Right now our best friends are in Barnsley, and we're east of Sheffield. So it's 1.5 hours on public transport or a 30 min drive to go hang out.

We have a Costco about 10m drive away that obviously you need a car for, to bring back all the random oversized blocks of cheese you end up buying there.

There's various nice stores about 15 to 20 mins drive around Sheff like a huge Asian supermarket to the south or various cheap places to get house stuff.

I'd love to start doing driving trips with the wife to show her random parts of the UK I went to as a kid as well. She worked on Dark Age of Camelot so all the landmarks from Tintagel to Stonehenge to Hadrian's wall.

All of this needs a car... But I'm still unconvinced a car is necessary until i have to commute.

It's stupidly hard to work this out from calculators so if anyone could help...

Small car fuel cost would be like £2k a year (est 10k miles)
£500 / year for insurance
£150 per month (£1800/y), to pay off the price of a small 2nd hand automatic
Road tax, £200?
Maintenance and servicing? Around £1300 per year on average.

So total "budget" for public transport and taxis etc per year is £5800 not counting random parking costs everywhere.

Not to mention learning to drive one off cost of about £1400 or insuring my partner.

Trip to our friends is £60 return in a taxi at peak. Say we do that monthly is £720.
Say every other week we go somewhere in Sheff to get food that is near, and taxi every other week for docs/hospital etc. That's £26 return at peak every week for £1352 a year. Say add 50% more for random trips etc. £2028

That still leaves us £3052 per year for random train trips to go see poo poo. Not as handy as just driving to a nice landmark but still.

Not even considering most couples i know have a car each so double all those costs.

Am I absolutely crazy? Or is a car only needed if you can't live without it. Eg kids or daily commute? There's no way it's more economical if you live near a city and can call a cab.

Even if i got a taxi at peak to and from work every single day with 255 working days a year that's £18 x255 = £4590. Which is mad. There's car pool options everywhere to reduce that.

lol you didnt even include the candles cost.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Everyone should commute on ebike or motorbike :colbert:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

Even if i got a taxi at peak to and from work every single day with 255 working days a year that's £18 x255 = £4590. Which is mad. There's car pool options everywhere to reduce that.

Oh dear me posted:

There are few taxis round my way - unless you prebook you can wait 3 hours or more and there are very few to pre-book.

Cost to go about 20 miles (approx distance of nearest train stations) 3-4 years ago was over £50 one way, I dread to think now.
From Bristol Airport 2 years ago was over £100 (approx 35-40 miles away)

I really think rural areas could do with some kind of properly-managed, official 'uber' style provision. There's not even any ubers to be had for miles around.

Out in the styx, there really aren't 'car pool' options.

Lungboy posted:

Everyone should commute on ebike or motorbike :colbert:

I had a friend who thought he was going to do that. He sold his car on retirement and signed up for an evening course at Cardiff University. He is an expert motorcyclist of many years' standing but after a few very hairy rides late back from Cardiff in the pouring rain along the dual carriageway, he said 'never again'.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 17, 2022

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've got a Smart 451 and really like it. Only £30 road tax too.

Will probably get a cheap and nasty motorbike once I have a horse simply so I don't have to play parking roulette twice a day

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mebh posted:

depends how much you use it, 10k a year when your not commuting is probably an overestimate, your more likely to only do 5k

Mebh posted:

depends on the car, your age, how long you've had your license etc. Mine is £310 for example and it goes down each year.

Mebh posted:

Road tax, £200?

Again depends on the car but that sounds about right, for most vehicles. Be less for small emission vehicles though.

Mebh posted:

Woh Woh Woh where did you get this idea from?
I've had a few close to that but that's just a really bad year when all the tyes need replacing at once and a bunch of other stuff and I didn't do it ahead of time. A normal mot + service is £250-£500.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 17, 2022

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Mebh posted:

Road tax, £200?

Some numbers, from experience:

£3,000 gets you a ten year old Fiesta 1.4 diesel (manual tho, not auto, add another K or so) with 51K on the clock. A 2012 car with that mileage is still very good. Tax is £20 a year because it's low emission and it will crack 70mpg on a long, carefully driven journey.

Google tells me 10,000 miles at 50mpg (urban/average use) is approx 757 litres, or £1,500 at current silly rates. Insurance very much depends but my last Focus 1.6 was about £280. I am oop north tho. Maintenance and repairs every year could be £100 or it could be £1,000. There's no way to tell until it happens.

Edit:
I put the actual car price rather than finance costs because I don't know your situation. If you need to borrow, obviously borrow as little as possible and make sure you try the band game - borrowing £4,999 or £5,001 may get you a lower APR than borrowing exactly £5,000. In my experience, Sainsbury's have historically been cheapest.

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 17, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cycling is fine, as long as you treat it as if you're a pedestrian who's temporarily dipping into the road system. The people who get properly hosed up are the ones who behave as if they're a car and try to use crossings / roundabouts as if they have the same presence and visibility as a ton of metal.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

Cars are super useful i get that. Especially if you commute. What I'm taking about is all the other uses.
I mean yeah a car isn't always necessary if you live in a city, but it's certainly a massive quality of life upgrade if you can afford it. As another Sheffield resident, it's very nice to be able to drive out to the Peaks of a weekend and wander around the gorgeous countryside right on our doorstep!

E: And as others have pointed out it's probably not quite as expensive as you've been thinking, especially if you don't have to commute (and if you've got a Costco membership, make use of the cheaper petrol)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Thanks for the responses! Dang.

My family isn't dying so I didn't include the candle cost.

As for maintenance that was from the first hit on Google and the AA website.

Ok so it's likely to be a hell of a lot cheaper until i consider adding my partner but still quite an expense.

Something to look into once I've paid off the loan I have or to quickly sort out commuting if it goes tits up.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angrymog posted:

I've got a Smart 451 and really like it. Only £30 road tax too.

Will probably get a cheap and nasty motorbike once I have a horse simply so I don't have to play parking roulette twice a day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I would just say, if it were actually cheaper to catch a taxi to and from work every day than to own a car, don't you think more people would have thought of that and be doing it already?

Re: your last paragraph that is. Obviously yeah otherwise its going to vary based on many factors. Saying that given we sold our car when we moved to London...

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 17, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Yet another thing we lost in 2019 was a proposed nationalised electric car sharing scheme. Zipcar and the others are another big reason why I don't need to own a car, and pushing that sort of scheme to at least bigger regional towns (along of course with massive expansion of rural and semi rural bus services and trains) would have completely changed the game both environmentally and economically for a massive chunk of the country.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

No, they'll just say that the Ukrainians are legal immigrants. It's only illegal immigrants who get shipped off to Africa.

Asylum seekers are by definition not illegal immigrants.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Asylum seekers are by definition not illegal immigrants.

But but but jumping the queue safe countries people smugglers.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yet another thing we lost in 2019 was a proposed nationalised electric car sharing scheme. Zipcar and the others are another big reason why I don't need to own a car, and pushing that sort of scheme to at least bigger regional towns (along of course with massive expansion of rural and semi rural bus services and trains) would have completely changed the game both environmentally and economically for a massive chunk of the country.

Yeah those were amazing in Europe. Came back late night to Hamburg airport and found the trains were cancelled due to maintenance, everyone from the flight just split up into rideshare cars. Got offered a lift and had a lovely chat with a German artist.

I dunno. I just feel this immense social pressure to learn to drive. Like I've failed or something as an adult. I'm nearly 40 and I've never even tried.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I can think of at least three friends of that age or older who’ve never learnt to drive. If you’ve never particularly needed to then it doesn’t seem weird that you wouldn’t have invested all the time, money, and effort it takes to learn.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just reminded me of blabla car.
It's car sharing but probably not on a daily commute scale.
I've never used it but a Moldavian friend has been all round Europe using it.

This is the UK site:

https://www.blablacar.co.uk/

Basically, if you want to go from A to B, you can search for anyone who has advertised that they are driving that route on a particular date. Likewise, you can sign up to the site to offer rides and they do check you out.

TACD posted:

I can think of at least three friends of that age or older who’ve never learnt to drive. If you’ve never particularly needed to then it doesn’t seem weird that you wouldn’t have invested all the time, money, and effort it takes to learn.

I took lessons in my 30s when I lived in London. Failed my test 4 times, each time on something different and on things that never happen 'in real life'. Eg one time, I was doing the 3 point turn and two cars entered the same side street from opposite directions when I had the nose of my car to the pavement. It seemed to me that there was plenty of room for each car to take it in turns to go past so I could complete the manoeuvre - I did not have room to complete the manoeuvre with the cars either side of me. BUT it turned out both the other two cars were also on test so none of us were allowed to wave or otherwise indicate that we were allowing the others to pass or would wait or whatever. We all sat there like lemons for several minutes (which seemed like hours) not knowing what to do. All 3 of us failed for 'undue hesitancy' (according to my instructor).

Even back then in the 1990s, it was costing me £38 for a 2 hour lesson and as I lived in central London, 2 hour lessons were essential to be able to get far enough from the centre to get out of 2nd gear.

After the 4th fail I decided I wasn't going to waste anymore money on this totally unnecessary skill which I had little interest in. Also, coupled with my propensity for being so bored my mind would wander (same happens in job interviews when the interviewer asks long-winded pointless questions about where you see yourself in 5 years time). My family kept saying "come and do your test in Small Town Wales with 1 roundabout" which I thought would be pretty useless. Unless I could do Hyde Park Corner without freaking out, what would be the point?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 17, 2022

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mebh posted:

Yeah those were amazing in Europe. Came back late night to Hamburg airport and found the trains were cancelled due to maintenance, everyone from the flight just split up into rideshare cars. Got offered a lift and had a lovely chat with a German artist.

I dunno. I just feel this immense social pressure to learn to drive. Like I've failed or something as an adult. I'm nearly 40 and I've never even tried.

Learning to drive isn't an easy or cheap task on its own either. I'm in the middle of doing so and it's looking to cost me around £1500 - driving instructors have all hiked their prices because of the pent-up demand from covid (and more recently fuel price increases) - it's now like £35 p/h to learn, and you need ~30-40 hours of instruction minimum, plus the test only have a ~50% pass rate...

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’d not worry about it Mebh. If you think it would be useful for you and you have the money and time then it can’t hurt, but I’ve not done it yet and don’t plan to until I’d see more benefit. Im a decent bit younger than you but my usual social circles go from 21ish to about 45 and plenty of folk can’t drive, and no one seems arsed about it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mebh posted:

Road tax, £200?

So total "budget" for public transport and taxis etc per year is £5800 not counting random parking costs everywhere.

Not to mention learning to drive one off cost of about £1400 or insuring my partner.

As others have said, yeah, most of this seems about right. Insurance can be anywhere from £250/year to £2k+ depending on your circumstances, where you live, what car it is, how old you are, how long you've been driving.

Maintenance likely to be less per year BUT you should have an emergency fund of like £2k in case of catastrophe if you can. There are a bunch of different things that can go wrong particularly with second-hand older cars that can very easily cost £500 upwards and multiple of those can happen in a year if you're unlucky. It's less likely there'll be anything too bad happen, but single things like a timing belt snapping (again, shouldn't really happen, has never happened to me but did to my brother) can cause £2k of damage. If you're buying an older car you might find there have been some things neglected by the current owners - like when you buy it the tyres and brakes might both be at end of life so that's immediately a few hundred quid, but sets you up well for the next ~3 years.

As for purchasing a second-hand car, it's always worked out well for me to buy ~10y/o VWs or Audis with 70-130k miles on them, for £500-1500. They're built quite well and because they're a bit more "premium" people tend to look after them reasonably well. I don't think I've ever had to spend more than about £500 in a year on one (biggest single repairs I think about £350) and they typically last ~3-5 years before it's better to scrap them. Typically the car has cost me like £1k and I've spent £1k in maintenance (including MOTs) over 3 years and then I've scrapped it because it's starting to cost too much to put through the MOTs.

That said, I did also have a Ford Puma (the original kind, not the new "crossover" thing) once. Bought it because they were cheap at the time and really well-reviewed. Was a cracking little car, great handling. Unfortunately the newest one you'd find now would be 21 years old so probably not in great shape, but I do think Fords are supposed to have really good handling for what they are and they're typically cheap to repair.

A guy at work used to take the piss out of my Puma, til he looked up the specs and found out it was quicker to 60 than his Subaru Impreza. Not that I cared, but he was a "car guy" and really did, so it was quite funny.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I've gotten a Fiat 500 that has been wonderful, even with swapping all the tires and getting the brakes changed. Cost of 1500 initially, and then even with all the adds, it comes to about 1800.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Driving is stressful and expensive yeah, genuinely if you don't see the need don't bother, your value as a human is not conditional on being able to operate a rusty heap of metal unless that is a forklift in which case you are obviously the coolest person in the universe.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've always been visually impaired to some degree and when the idea of driving first came up I was recently diagnosed and we thought I might be blind in a few years so it didn't seem worth the expense and effort of trying to learn, only to have it yanked away. Turns out I was still legally eligible to drive up to about five years ago which is hilarious considering how poor my eyesight was even then. Now they won't let me even try just because I'm partially sighted! loving gatekeepers.

The main reason I started carrying a symbol cane is so the next time a cyclist whisks silently out of nowhere and barely misses me and then turns to swear at me maybe they'll feel bad :mad:

Still haven't had the chance to respond to some grumpy dickhead going 'are you blind?!' But I'm ready.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I asked the partner about a motorbike and she called them organ donation machines. I love my scooter tho =(

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

All this talk of learning to drive. I haven't driven for nearly a decade but really want to get back into it. Has anyone ever had some type of refresher lesson to get their knowledge/confidence back up?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

bessantj posted:

All this talk of learning to drive. I haven't driven for nearly a decade but really want to get back into it. Has anyone ever had some type of refresher lesson to get their knowledge/confidence back up?

Most driving instructors will do those with you for the same rate as normal lessons (since it's the same time used). It's not an uncommon request they get - fairly common, especially from people who learnt to drive abroad and have moved to the UK.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Driving is stressful and expensive yeah, genuinely if you don't see the need don't bother, your value as a human is not conditional on being able to operate a rusty heap of metal unless that is a forklift in which case you are obviously the coolest person in the universe.

Yep. I really wish I didn't have to drive. I still feel guilty about the cyclist yeaterday.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Most driving instructors will do those with you for the same rate as normal lessons (since it's the same time used). It's not an uncommon request they get - fairly common, especially from people who learnt to drive abroad and have moved to the UK.

This is where I am at the moment. I have a Canadian license and I drive when I'm back in Canada all the time but I only ever learned to drive automatic. We tried buying an automatic here but couldn't find one for a reasonable price, and the double whammy of learning all the new road rules while driving on the other side of the road AND having to learn standard has prevented me from just making the leap (which my wife did years ago for her work).

I've decided that I'm finally going to take the plunge and book some driving lessons once I have a bit more free time in the summer, but I'm really curious how much time and effort it will take for me to be able to get to the level that I can pass the test. A lot of people have told me that it'll basically be 80% getting used to driving standard and 20% getting used to driving in the UK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

I asked the partner about a motorbike and she called them organ donation machines.
Organ donation is cool and good th...oh.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I need to research my local driving instructors. Owning a car is so expensive but at the moment I'm working a lot and a car would be a huge advantage.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Driving chat. I said earlier I won't ever drive probably.
Forgot to mention I used to help others practice for their driving tests, especially the hazard perception test, which you can check out here:

https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/free-practice-tests/hazard-perception-test/

Had this couple in one time, husband and wife, and they used all the tests we had.
Then when Im closing, they left and I saw them get into a car that was parked outside and they left.
Mentioned it to my mum, she said the rumor was that they both lost their licence for repeated drunk driving, hence why they had to do it again.
The WTF was why they were still driving.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

WhatEvil posted:

As for purchasing a second-hand car, it's always worked out well for me to buy ~10y/o VWs or Audis with 70-130k miles on them, for £500-1500. They're built quite well and because they're a bit more "premium" people tend to look after them reasonably well.

Funnily enough I’ve found the opposite. They’re a desirable premium brand so a lot of people buy them who can’t really afford them, so skimp on maintenance and parts as much as possible.

A telltale sign is tyres. Few red flags are bigger than a really expensive BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Jaguar/Range Rover on the cheapest, nastiest tyres available.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I could kind of do with something like a Captur for larp events - I used to have a Fiesta but it didn't quite have the boot space I needed, nor the ground clearance for some of the sites I go on.

But that's like my only real use case for a car, so taxis and trains it is.

Plus once I got a first class upgrade back up north for a tenner which included the first class lounge at Euston, and I dream of one day lucking out with that again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

Oh very, very much with you on that. I would personally be very happy if society could restructure itself so that it was easier to live carless.

I still remember going round employment agencies after graduating and everyone looking at my travel range and saying "You should really get a car," like getting a couple thousand for the deposit and a few hundred a month for the repayments / petrol / upkeep is something everyone can just do.

Also assuming everyone can drive.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Cars are really great, but actually it would be better for me if fewer other people drove and got in my way so yeah I agree cars are bad and you can all do without them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I don’t think it’s a contradiction to believe that cars are pretty awesome and fun but a car-dependant society and living spaces that prioritise the car over all else is really awful.

Car culture can piss right off though.