Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Von Arnem's Alligator Mating Call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Tomn posted:

Also cross-posting this from the D&D thread because I'd like to know if you guys think this is at all plausible.

Several of the US aid packages list "spare parts" as a line item. Ukraine seems to have a good handle on what they need and they don't seem shy asking for help. The US has the best understanding of logistics in the world, and it helps we spent the last 20 years equipping 2 national armies with largely Russian-type equipment. At this point we make a good deal of that stuff ourselves. And the US is just one of many countries sending aid to Ukraine.

Flappy Bert posted:

The government's social media pitch crew has basically confirmed part of it:

I wouldn't be surprised if that went for all types of heavy munitions.

The most recent US aid package included 18 howitzers and 40k rounds of ammunition for them, so there is some small initial progress on getting them on NATO standard artillery. That might be a training package almost- test the waters, see if their artillery guys have any trouble, establish a cadre of knowledgeable in-country instructors. Next month we might send 50, then 100, more, who knows.

Plus the Baltic states, Poland, Czechia, and basically other iron curtain survivors are funneling a good deal of heavy equipment to Ukraine including tanks, self-propelled artillery, and more. I think the tanks the Poles sent have already seen combat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Von Arnem's Alligator Mating Call.

von Manstein's moose call

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The Imp of Nipples posted:

So here's a random question, do militaries and more specifically special forces ever train to use different weapons than what they're normally expected to field? Do Seals or the SAS ever have an "AK" training/familiarization day where that's what they use because they might be in a situation where that's what they're left with or what they have to train others with? Or does the platform not matter all that much in the end?

Beaten to the punch by AreWeDrunkYet and Humbug Scoolbus, but I deployed as an augmentee to a Special Forces team back in 2012, and their whole thing was training the Afghan National Army. The ANA primarily used Soviet rifles, machine guns, RPGs, mounted weapons, etc, except for the ANA commandos who used US weapons. So, yes, not only did the US Green Berets know how to use Soviet weapons, they actually spent more time training with them than they did with Western weaponry.

psydude posted:

I had an old salty SF dude as an ROTC instructor who told me that his most basic measure of a foreign soldier's competency was how often they tried to fire their AK on full auto.

This was still accurate as of 2012. The SF guys I worked for called it the Death Blossom, after The Last Starfighter. The default response by the less competent ANA squads to enemy contact was to go full auto in all directions, and then all run out of ammo at the same time. And then get picked off while they were all trying to reload.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Arc Light posted:

This was still accurate as of 2012. The SF guys I worked for called it the Death Blossom, after The Last Starfighter. The default response by the less competent ANA squads to enemy contact was to go full auto in all directions, and then all run out of ammo at the same time. And then get picked off while they were all trying to reload.

Ennis has always had a love affair with the AK and M14, but:

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
The talk of Ukraine's lack of artillery shells is odd to me since that would seem like a thing they would've have identified having had artillery exchanges for 8 years in the breakaway regions.

According to the page linked below they suffered a lots of curious ammunition depot explosions. Tried to set up domestic shell production but it seems to been hindered by corruption, an emphasis on state industry, skill drain and a curious lack of urgency. Would be able to manufacture 14 000 heavy shells a year, which might have 'technical' problems - no idea if manufacturing capacity has been impeded by Russian attacks.

https://jamestown.org/program/why-t...n-we-do-better/

The page doesn't paint a rosy picture, at odds with how the war has gone so far, though it says the problems lie high up in the chain of command so who knows.

Apparently they started domestic production of the Russian V - 429 fuse in 2019 : https://mil.in.ua/uk/news/vyrobnytstvo-boyeprypasiv-impuls-zapustyv-novyj-tseh/

Problems with new 152 mm shells: https://mil.in.ua/uk/news/vyyavleno-problemy-vitchyznyanyh-152-mm-snaryadiv/ - maybe biased, the author seems to be from another competing company?

Artem will deliver new 152 mm shells later this year, in 2021 - that's the company that can produce an estimated 14 000 shells yearly, before the war: https://mil.in.ua/uk/news/artem-do-kintsya-roku-postavyt-partiyu-152-mm-snaryadiv-zsu/

Kallikaa fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 17, 2022

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Joke Miriam posted:

No like, as opposed to the correct terms "Chicago typewriter" and "Hitler's buzzsaw"

Bonesaw is the correct (more specifically, one of the correct) names for it, though.
Americans just knew it under a different nickname.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Bonesaw is the correct (more specifically, one of the correct) names for it, though.
Americans just knew it under a different nickname.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgXxtgu76Ag

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Kallikaa posted:

The talk of Ukraine's lack of artillery shells is odd to me since that would seem like a thing they would've have identified having had artillery exchanges for 8 years in the breakaway regions.

According to the page linked below they suffered a lots of curious ammunition depot explosions. Tried to set up domestic shell production but it seems to been hindered by corruption, an emphasis on state industry, skill drain and a curious lack of urgency. Would be able to manufacture 14 000 heavy shells a year, which might have 'technical' problems - no idea if manufacturing capacity that has been impeded by Russian attacks.

https://jamestown.org/program/why-t...n-we-do-better/

The page doesn't paint a rosy picture, at odds of how the war has gone so far, though it says the problems lie high up in the chain of command so who knows.

Yo I'm pretty high and a longtime GiP lurker and I should shut up. Oops.

Tiny fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 17, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
:nsa: ?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

On a proper AK, I believe the switch has three positions:
- No bullet
- Bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet bullet
- Give him one bullet, and one bullet ONLY

In that order so that a terrified peasant soldier won't panic-slap the gun into full auto.

Yeah that feature is also in the Finnish RKs. Just slam that selector all the way down and you are in the correct firing mode. Works fine even with heavy gloves.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Full auto mode pretty much shouldn't exist on the AKM, the muzzle climb is too strong. But it's sooo fun and makes you feel powerful, so I can understand what's going through people's heads when I see it being used in combat. Does the Ukrainian army primarily use AKMs, or AK-74s?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Full auto mode pretty much shouldn't exist on the AKM, the muzzle climb is too strong. But it's sooo fun and makes you feel powerful, so I can understand what's going through people's heads when I see it being used in combat. Does the Ukrainian army primarily use AKMs, or AK-74s?

Realistically they use whatever they can get their hands on and can get ammunition for. If I had to guess, it's mostly AKMs followed by AK-74s, but I've seen quite a few western rifles, like ARs mostly in western security forces hands.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

A.o.D. posted:

Realistically they use whatever they can get their hands on and can get ammunition for. If I had to guess, it's mostly AKMs followed by AK-74s, but I've seen quite a few western rifles, like ARs mostly in western security forces hands.

Ukraine makes their own domestic AR. It's (probably) what you've seen.

ETA: This is a longer list than most other countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Ukrainian_Ground_Forces#Assault_rifles

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I would be very surprised if regulars in Ukraine or any “real” army outside of like central Africa were still using AKMs but probably are mostly on Ukrainian volunteer militia forces or Russian separatist militias

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Ukraine has some extremely large number of AK74s and they've been the main rifle that was apparently being given to TDF, afaik

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The deadline for Mariupol must have expired, yeah? Any outcome yet?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Xakura posted:

ETA: This is a longer list than most other countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Ukrainian_Ground_Forces#Assault_rifles

Ammo standardization really paid off, despite the ridiculous number of different guns they have, there's fewer than a half dozen different types of ammo they have to deal with.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Xakura posted:

Nothing will ever top China's warlord period.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

A.o.D. posted:

Nothing will ever top China's warlord period.

Russian civil war probably comes in a close second.

My favorite bit is that the American expeditionary force was armed with Mosins on the theory they’d be able to get ammo but had zero training and the sights used some sort of pre-metric Russian imperial measurement system so they couldn’t hit anything.

The the bolsheviks stole all of their old weapons because the British officers who also gave zero shits about the American units under them didn’t do anything to safeguard their weapons caches back where they switched to Russian weapons.

Then those Bolshevik troops with American guns ran into the American force and the US troops now got to fight Russians with BARs and much better American bolt actions who easily outranged and had vastly more squad level firepower.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

…the sights used some sort of pre-metric Russian imperial measurement system so they couldn’t hit anything.

Arshins. 1 yard (which is what the US was using at the time) is a smidge more than 1.28 arshins.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Russian civil war probably comes in a close second.

My favorite bit is that the American expeditionary force was armed with Mosins on the theory they’d be able to get ammo but had zero training and the sights used some sort of pre-metric Russian imperial measurement system so they couldn’t hit anything.

The the bolsheviks stole all of their old weapons because the British officers who also gave zero shits about the American units under them didn’t do anything to safeguard their weapons caches back where they switched to Russian weapons.

Then those Bolshevik troops with American guns ran into the American force and the US troops now got to fight Russians with BARs and much better American bolt actions who easily outranged and had vastly more squad level firepower.

Someone listens to lions led by donkeys

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Dang. Now I’m trying to think of which conflicts the US was NOT shot at by large numbers of weapons they had paid for. Revolution, 1812, WWI & WWII, first gulf war… hmm.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1515255433707073537?s=20&t=JmnUHdp5ySZ8cBqSpZNUjg

Golden Horde now NATO

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Flikken posted:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Flikken posted:

I had the same thought.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bit early to start a second front

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Flikken posted:

It's an amazing podcast when it doesn't have liam on

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Stravag posted:

It's an amazing podcast when it doesn't have liam on

Dude is just so angry all the time.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

He just uses "YO philly bro BEST CITY BRO MAN I WOULD gently caress A TRAIN BRO HEHEHEHEHEHE GO BIRDS" in place of a personality so its just loving exhausting listening to him

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Stravag posted:

He just uses "YO philly bro BEST CITY BRO MAN I WOULD gently caress A TRAIN BRO HEHEHEHEHEHE GO BIRDS" in place of a personality so its just loving exhausting listening to him

Well Nick is in Korea...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tomn posted:

You know, one of the little things about Putin is that he almost always looks so goddamn miserable about anything he's doing. Just a permanent expression of slightly baffled, low-affect discontent, even when he's riding a minisub. What's the point of being a ruthless kleptocratic dictator if you can't even find joy in it?
This is actually a Russian-vs-American culture thing. See here (note: written by the child of Russian parents, not by an outsider.)

quote:

It’s just that grinning without cause is not a skill Russians possess or feel compelled to cultivate. There’s even a Russian proverb that translates, roughly, to “laughing for no reason is a sign of stupidity.”

Russians’ fondness for the gentle scowl seems even more unusual to expats than its actual, climatic cold. And the cultural difference cuts both ways: Newcomers to America often remark on the novelty of being smiled at by strangers.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Stravag posted:

He’s also a lovely alcoholic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Also Americans smile too drat much, it comes off as fake to everyone else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FrozenVent posted:

Also Americans smile too drat much, it comes off as fake to everyone else.

It's trained into some of us. I heard "Put a pleasant expression on your face" a lot in my childhood, usually after I'd been yelled at.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
For all they act like a bunch of fearless badasses, the russian government sure is afraid of the idea of biologists working in the same hemisphere as them

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Flikken posted:

Well Nick is in Korea...

Shocks, Alice, donoteat, Rich, the hell of a way boys, there are way less lovely options than making liam the cohost for like 50 episodes. Liam is so awful it makes the Jewish Avengers a bad episode.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang. Now I’m trying to think of which conflicts the US was NOT shot at by large numbers of weapons they had paid for. Revolution, 1812, WWI & WWII, first gulf war… hmm.

I got shot by a Panamanian Defense Force M16

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
2 really good videos

https://youtu.be/kO88kFvlE2k

https://youtu.be/aEpk_yGjn0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Slashrat posted:

For all they act like a bunch of fearless badasses, the russian government sure is afraid of the idea of biologists working in the same hemisphere as them

It’s just another vague meaningless accusation that when stated baldly sounds kind of menacing.

Like, biological laboratory includes studying trees, crops and fisheries.