Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

They brought back The Great Intelligence, but they didn't bring back the Yeti. Omega hasn't popped up. Nor the Draconians, or Rutans, or the Mara.

The Draconians and Rutans were only in one series a-piece, I think?

The Black and White Guardians, whatever Sil's race were, and the Ogrons are the other multi-serial foes from Classic Who that haven't appeared in the revival yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

But Martha was in an entire series? :confused:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Draconians and Rutans were only in one series a-piece, I think?

The Black and White Guardians, whatever Sil's race were, and the Ogrons are the other multi-serial foes from Classic Who that haven't appeared in the revival yet.

Those are all good pulls, yeah. The Mara, Sil and Ogrons (and the Monk and the Rani) all have the issue where they technically appeared twice, but both appearances were in quick succession so they feel like a one-off. Of course, that was also the case with the Great Intelligence and they got a comeback, so.

The Guardians are kind of odd in that they appeared in multiple stories some years apart, many of which are well-regarded. It's just that nobody gives a drat about the Guardians within those stories.

Omega seems like a candidate for the new series, though I could see RTD bringing back the Mara in a cameo type role like the Macra in Gridlock.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd bet that RTD is going to do something with Omega for the 60th anniversary.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Tbh the Ogrons are worth forgetting about. BF bringing them back is just another case of the company being very white and conservative.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Apart from the Daleks, the first recurring bad guys were the French.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey!

New Doctor Who in exactly 13 hours!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edward Mass posted:

Hey!

New Doctor Who in exactly 13 hours!

I'm hopeful! Last special was a lot of fun, this one features a fascinating historical figure and the novelty of the Sea Devils being in it has a lot going for it.

I mean, the last few minutes are likely to be a set-up for the final so I'm expecting some bullshit there, but hopefully everything else is good!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

I mean, the last few minutes are likely to be a set-up for the final so I'm expecting some bullshit there, but hopefully everything else is good!

<The Master shows up>
"Oh, just joking about that Timeless Child thing! Made it up! Also, that was a fake Gallifrey! Do you really think I'd have the time or patience to systematically kill every single person on a planet?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

<The Master shows up>
"Oh, just joking about that Timeless Child thing! Made it up! Also, that was a fake Gallifrey! Do you really think I'd have the time or patience to systematically kill every single person on a planet?"

Doctor: So what should we do now?
Master: iunno.... you ever play D&D?

Then it turns out the final episode is actually a crossover with HarmonQuest.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The last one of these is still at Christmas/New Year's yeah? I've totally lost track of time as to where the show is right now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rochallor posted:

The last one of these is still at Christmas/New Year's yeah? I've totally lost track of time as to where the show is right now.

We're basically re-living Tennant's Year of Specials. Eve of the Daleks was the first. Legend of the Sea Devils is the second. The third, which will feature the regeneration, is almost certainly coming at the New Year.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Timby posted:

We're basically re-living Tennant's Year of Specials. Eve of the Daleks was the first. Legend of the Sea Devils is the second. The third, which will feature the regeneration, is almost certainly coming at the New Year.

The last one's being tied into the BBC's centenary, so I was assuming it would be on some time around 18th October.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Timby posted:

We're basically re-living Tennant's Year of Specials.

Well hopefully this is better than Planet of the Dead!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

It begins.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Look, I know good CGI is expensive, time consuming and hard to do, but... That cracking was some amateur hour bullshit.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

And what I'm getting from this "action" scene is that the sea devil costume is barely mobile at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, they are REALLY shooting around that costume.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm sure I've seen this ship set shot more convincingly on horrible histories.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If they wanted her to return with treasure they should have left her a skeleton crew, you literally cannot sail a ship that size with 3 people, let alone 1. But I'm guessing that was a budget decision? Fewer actors means more money for iffy cgi?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I mean it's great they went for it in terms of reach but Jesus this thing is bulging at the seams.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SiKboy posted:

If they wanted her to return with treasure they should have left her a skeleton crew, you literally cannot sail a ship that size with 3 people, let alone 1. But I'm guessing that was a budget decision? Fewer actors means more money for iffy cgi?

That plus the pandemic.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This is kind of not good, and not even in a particularly interesting way.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Also, flipping the poles would do none of those things; Why would north becoming south cause the stars to move, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

This is kind of not good, and not even in a particularly interesting way.

Yeah Jesus Christ this has just fallen apart the editing is a mess. Where are the other like 60 Sea Devils? How did the Doctor and Yaz get the old pirate dude out and escape to the other ship? How did the Doctor just randomly get back onto the other ship to confront the Sea Devil... good Lord.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

If the evil plan was to turn off the Earth's magnetic field, so the surface world got irradiated by solar wind, that would be much better

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also what a waste of Madam Ching, she's barely had any impact on the story at all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Also what a waste of Madam Ching, she's barely had any impact on the story at all.

Yeah, more than anything else, this feels like an awful waste of a really interesting historical figure. Like a bad episode from chibnall is just another bad chibnall episode, but the doctor can only meet madame ching for the first time once.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, more than anything else, this feels like an awful waste of a really interesting historical figure. Like a bad episode from chibnall is just another bad chibnall episode, but the doctor can only meet madame ching for the first time once.

I mean she still has like 3 years before she retires from piracy so she could still be used in a future episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God that lovely Cyberman is back :cripes:

Edit: Well after the last episode was rather tightly plotted, had interesting supporting characters and a simple concept executed well I had high hopes, but this was an incoherent mess, looked bad, was edited worse, and wasted an amazing historical figure who might as well have been some random nobody. I'm sure there were budget/COVID issues to work around etc but they had SO LONG to put this together and we got THAT? It wasn't as bad as Planet of the Dead, but that's damning with faint praise.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 17, 2022

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
On the plus side, though, Ace and Tegan are back!

The gayest the TARDIS has ever been.

e: apparently Tegan and Nyssa being an item is canon now, which I’m pleasantly surprised about!

TinTower fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 17, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
That was perfectly fine. If it had been part of a normal run, it would have been a really solid monster of the week story, but as a hyped up 'special', not so much.

The directing and editing felt really...off at times. Whittaker continues to go from strength to strength, but the Yas romance thing was terrible but at least they had the Doctor let her down by saying point blank she doesn't romance companions.

Tegan and Ace, amazing. I can understand Ace because Russell T Davies did want to do more with middle aged Ace in the Sarah Jane Smith Adventures, but Tegan seems like a random choice. Though Janet Fielding is an utter delight, so yay.

Wait, didn't Nyssa end up trapped in e-space?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 17, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

Ace is back!

(Tegan too)

TinTower posted:

The gayest the TARDIS has ever been.

:hai:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Yas spends most of her screen time doing very little, wasting Mandip Gil for the majority of the Chibanll run, then the Doctor is largely distant to her for a lot of it....then she makes that 'you're the best speech'.

Yas and Ryan were two really wasted characters, weren't they?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So, that was bad. We've had worse plots, at least it wasnt horrendously offensive, but bland as hell. As always, Jodie does what she can with what shes been given. Everything else though...

The sea devil costume couldnt emote, talk or (from the looks of it) apparently move much. What they should have done when that became apparent is chuck some lizard make-up on an actor and throw in a line about how "I'm the ultimate evolution of those you call sea devils, Doctor!" or something Instead they tried to shoot around it and fix it in post, and wow it did not work at all That "action" scene in the village was frankly embarrassing.

The editing was awful. People just teleported to where they needed to be for the next scene, within scenes there was no real sense of where anyone or anything was in relation to anything else.

The pacing and dialogue were atrocious. They basically gave up and had everyone explain their motivation and plans direct to camera because gently caress it. Everything felt simultaneously drawn out and rushed and I couldnt explain why, but it still did. Like I was thinking "do we have time for a heart to heart between the doctor and yas in this one off easter special" but concurrently "gently caress it, why not, what else do we have to fill this time with?".

I really wish that Jodie was going to have at least a season with a better showrunner. This was a bad episode on basically every front, and a massive drop in quality from the new year special.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If the evil plan was to turn off the Earth's magnetic field, so the surface world got irradiated by solar wind, that would be much better

That would 100% have been better, that would have actual real consequences.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean she still has like 3 years before she retires from piracy so she could still be used in a future episode.

Yeah, but you only get one go at "Hang on.... Madam Ching? You're THE Madam Ching?"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OldMemes posted:

Wait, didn't Nyssa end up trapped in e-space?

That was Romana, Nyssa stayed behind in Terminus to help the locals

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well....OK then. Just one more Chibnall episode.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That was Romana, Nyssa stayed behind in Terminus to help the locals

In Big Finish canon, she rejoins the TARDIS crew later in her life and gets left behind when the Fifth Doctor returns to e-space. But then Romana returning from e-space was one of the Virgin New Adventures Big Finish kept, so apparently the Doctor can willingly re-enter e-space later on..

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Forced to recover a treasure for a male pirate to recover her crew, upstaged by that male pirate who gets more to do as well as more heroic moments despite the fact he should be dead: somehow this story managed to make Madam Ching not even be the most legendary pirate in it!

Also, Chibnall really wants to have the Doctor relearn what she clearly knew at the end of The Husbands of River Song? That’s the big arc he’s going for to wrap up his years as showrunner?

Chibnall’s biggest sin isn’t being a poor writer or a bad showrunner: it’s how he took such a great cast and such great potential and wasted so much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
That was really, really bad. Such a drat shame