Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
If they're selling a playtest, are they actually doing it properly like Paizo did where there's a Playtest AP (which was terrible, but it was there) and they have everyone run each episode of the AP in a given time frame and send in session reports on an online form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tulip posted:

lol

This will sound like a shitpost especially given my history but the best superhero game I've interacted with is...Dungeon World. A lot of the weird bespoke mages that fans have made are fantastic as superheroes.

Honestly I've had an idea in my head for a while now for a Superhero setting where the heroes operate off D&D style classes with those and levels being not just rules constructs but also recognized in-universe mechanics

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Does buying a playtest give a discount on buying the full game because lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
From what I've seen, I hope not. Sunk cost fallacy and all that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Plutonis posted:

Does buying a playtest give a discount on buying the full game because lol

Not that I know of. I bought it with credit from a gift I had returned and because :10bux: will not break my wallet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still got a copy of the Edge of the Empire beta somewhere lol.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mirage posted:

gently caress it, just bring back the old TSR game. FASERIP forever.

My first RPG :allears:

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I've spent some time looking over the forum's search function and I just can't find this:

Anyone remember some posts made by Liesmith about paladins, using the Arthurian knights as examples of various ways to do it? I looked through every post he made, but I wasn't able to find it. I wanted to show it to a friend who tends to play a lot of paladins because he said he was looking for some new stuff about them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Swags posted:

I've spent some time looking over the forum's search function and I just can't find this:

Anyone remember some posts made by Liesmith about paladins, using the Arthurian knights as examples of various ways to do it? I looked through every post he made, but I wasn't able to find it. I wanted to show it to a friend who tends to play a lot of paladins because he said he was looking for some new stuff about them.

You got archives? He had two whole threads of the stuff.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

You got archives? He had two whole threads of the stuff.

Yeah, I've got them. Honestly, I looked over his entire post history and didn't see them anywhere. If you know of the title/flair, I'd be happy to look again, I just couldn't find anything.

Swags fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 16, 2022

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Ignore repost

Swags fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 16, 2022

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's the best story-focused RPG like Fate?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I kind of want to run a few different games:

A One Piece game using Friendship, Effort Victory. I got some done on a playset. Might even test some 2e potential changes.

An Avatar Legends game set in the Roku era about people living on the cusp of the 100 Year War. Really love the stuff about the Fire Nation in the new official lore.

An Alien RPG game where it is set in the Alien Earth Hive timeline where a crew tries to survive on the outskirts of space on their ship while trying to survive in a post Earth Fall galaxy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Swags posted:

Yeah, I've got them. Honestly, I looked over his entire post history and didn't see them anywhere. If you know of the title/flair, I'd be happy to look again, I just couldn't find anything.

Jesus, you weren't kidding : these are suprisingly hard to find. I know he and I had a conversation in PM's about it... 10 years ago (jesus loving hell), but it seems to have vanished from my inbox.

Huh.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

NotNut posted:

Do you mean “which is the best story focused RPG, and I am giving Fate as an example of a story focused RPG”; or, “which is the best story focused RPG which in addition to being story focused also resembles Fate?”

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

hyphz posted:

Do you mean “which is the best story focused RPG, and I am giving Fate as an example of a story focused RPG”; or, “which is the best story focused RPG which in addition to being story focused also resembles Fate?”

Good question. I like Fate so ones like that, but also story-focused RPGs in general

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

If they're selling a playtest, are they actually doing it properly like Paizo did where there's a Playtest AP (which was terrible, but it was there) and they have everyone run each episode of the AP in a given time frame and send in session reports on an online form?

They're doing a "playtest" doc because they want to get a starting cash injection. The book listing says you can give "feedback" but with what a crunchy 90s nightmare the game is (which everyone here knew it was going to be as soon as the initial announcement with Matt Forbeck's name came out) it's pretty unlikely can even implement any feedback in a practical sense. The game is too chained to a gimmicky system built on calling back on itself. Ha ha! Our stats spell M-A-R-V-E-L! Ha ha, our dice system is called "616"!

If people wanted a crunchy superhero TTRPG that can be kludged into a functional state, they're already playing Mutants and Masterminds or Wild Talents or some poo poo. If they want something that's accessible and playable they're doing Sentinels, Spectaculars, or Masks.

Like people talk about how D&D high fantasy is a crowded TTRPG space, but superhero games have to be the runner up in "There's already so much garbage out there, why exactly should we pick another loving one up?" And all this has going for it is the Marvel branding.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 16, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I feel bad, because I know Matt as a friend. However, he is a mercenary writer and will provide a game to whatever spec the client wants. He makes deadlines, clearly outlines his project for the client including when the stage of completion milestones are, and charges reasonable fees. Non-gaming publishers like that kind of thing.

EDIT: Sigil Entertainment's S5E is a better usage of the 5e ruleset than D&D is and it's for superheroes.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The power sets as trees immediately made me think of 2d20’s talent trees and I got the Marvel playtest the same week as Achtung! Cthulhu, and now I’ve finally gotten off my rear end and started writing my Supers 2d20 game, because I need a more boardgamey supers RPG in my life.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Non-gaming publishers like that kind of thing.

I think it’s telling that the other two design credits are not RPG design people but comics business people.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 16, 2022

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

NotNut posted:

Tenra Bansho Zero and Microscope are probably eccentric picks, but they are both designed specifically to create memorable, coherent stories within a single session and I’ve had great results with both of them. On the flip side, it’s a little hard to make ongoing campaigns of either (and Microscope is arguably only technically an RPG, though it is definitely a game where you role-play).

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I feel bad, because I know Matt as a friend. However, he is a mercenary writer and will provide a game to whatever spec the client wants. He makes deadlines, clearly outlines his project for the client including when the stage of completion milestones are, and charges reasonable fees. Non-gaming publishers like that kind of thing.

EDIT: Sigil Entertainment's S5E is a better usage of the 5e ruleset than D&D is and it's for superheroes.

As someone who reviewed Supers & Sorcery, a rather lackluster 5e superheroes book and setting, what would you say it does well?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Libertad! posted:

As someone who reviewed Supers & Sorcery, a rather lackluster 5e superheroes book and setting, what would you say it does well?

Here's a very abbreviated chargen...

S5E posted:

CHOOSE YOUR
ANCESTRY & CULTURE
Options include Present-Day Earth, Future Earth, Ancient Earth,
Atlantean, or Alien.
STEP TWO:
PICK YOUR
SUPERHEROIC CLASS
CLASSES
Elementalist, who channel a classical element like fire, water, earth, or air, or can manipulate a fundamental force of the universe, like electricity, time, gravity, light, or sound waves.

Kinetics channel their power through their own bodies, moving with incredible strength or speed.

Martial Expert, Some use their hands and feet. Others use a favored weapon, like a bow or pistol.

Masterminds analyze their foes and predict threats, or call Minions onto the field of battle to fight for them

Mentalists, use telekinesis or telepathy to communicate with or read thoughts, or implant images and illusions

Metamorph transform their bodies. Some can stretch while others can take on the appearance of other. Other Metamorphs can become invisible, or transmute their flesh into steel, and more. A few Metamorphs are hosts bonded with a symbiote

Mystics. Some are witches, others study the ways of the arcane. A few work with the spirits,

Tech heroes are engineers, wielding high-tech weapons, or constructing power armor or an array of gadgets, which grant them powers on par with any of the other heroes.

Vitalist, someone with a special connection to the living world. Some Vitalists commune with animals, while others command plant life. Still others produce and manipulate poisons, disease, and rejuvenating or necrotizing forces directly.

Special Agent. Special Agents can and do make as big a difference as superpowered heroes

STEP THREE:
SELECT YOUR
SUPERPOWERS
Class guidelines tell you how to pick your powers and how many you can select. (Powers are divided into At Will powers and Leveled Powers. At Will function like Cantrips. while Leveled function like regular spell slots kind of. Once you reach certain levels, you gain the ability to use powers at certain levels reflexively. Once you do so, you no longer require slots at those levels and can use powers at those levels at will, as if you had an endless number of slots available.)

STEP FOUR:
TAKE A BACKGROUND
Armor, weapons, and skill proficiencies, as well as starting equipment, are determined by your chosen background.

STEP FIVE
DETERMINE STATISTICS
(It goes over using point buy or 4d6k3)

STEP SIX:
CREATE HOOKS
CHOOSING A CORNERSTONE
Think about why your hero has chosen to use these powers (describing your cornerstone matters mechanically , because acting from your cornerstone can grant you Inspiration.)
DESCRIBING A VULNERABILITY
What is something about your hero that makes your life more complicated, unusual, or challenging? (also can grant Inspiration if it is acted upon)
LIMITATIONS ON POWERS
If a player describes a limitation on their character's power(s) and that Limitation has an actual mechanical effect during a scene, then they can get an Inspiration for a future check, not the current one.
CONNECTIONS & TENSIONS
For the final step of hero creation, speak with your fellow players and learn about their heroes too. Form connections or tensions between your hero and each of your fellow team members.
THE DEBRIEF
Cornerstones, connections, and tensions are designed to promote rich and fun roleplay between players as their characters navigate interesting relationship dynamics. To incentivize doing so, each session ends with a debrief. During the debrief, the GM and players discuss what happened at the session and how each of them played their heroes, addressing their cornerstones and any relevant connections, tensions, or vulnerabilities that arose that session.
BEGINNING THE DEBRIEF
At the end of each session, the GM and players can discuss what just happened. This can help players make sense of what occurred, and it allows people who contributed to the session to be recognized. Most of all, though, it is fun to revisit the highlights of a good game! To begin, each player should state one high point from the session. What happened that you liked? What did one of your fellow players do that you enjoyed? What are you excited about for next session? Once you’ve shared your highlights, it is time to reward good roleplay!
ON SAFETY AND CONSENT DURING THE DEBRIEF
f there was anything that occurred that you did not enjoy, or anything you’d like to see less of going forward, now is also an excellent time to bring that up. Please note that, if one of your fellow players brings something up currently that they didn’t like but that you do like, it is important to respect their preferences. Just as you wouldn’t force a friend to eat food at a shared meal that they didn’t like, you shouldn’t force someone to endure part of a game they don’t enjoy either.
PLAYING FROM OR AGAINST CORNERSTONES
To begin, the GM asks the table which other player acted most in line with their hero’s cornerstone that session. The player or players who receive the most votes from everyone at the table receives a point of Inspiration, up to a maximum of three, to use next session. Alternatively, players can also pick a player who played against their cornerstone that session, but in an interesting way that enhanced the session. After all, acting against one’s cornerstone does not necessarily mean that the player did a poor job roleplaying! In some cases, heroes are forced to make a hard decision and choose to act contrary to their principles, or their conscience, or their commitments. This can make for incredibly rich roleplay and storytelling and is worth rewarding.
ACTIVATING CONNECTIONS & TENSIONS
Next, each player can state one thing that either reinforced one of their connections or that triggered one of their tensions. If they call out a connection, add 1 point to the Team Morale Pool. If they call out a tension, they instead receive Inspiration. If a player activated neither a connection nor a tension that session, then nothing happens. When a player calls out a connection or tension, they can also choose to resolve it and form a new one based on something that happened that session. If both players agree, then the player calling out that connection or tension can add 1 to the Team Morale Pool and gain Inspiration, rather than just do one or the other, as above.
DEALING WITH A VULNERABILITY
Finally, if the GM brought your hero’s vulnerability to bear in a way that made your hero’s life more difficult, the GM rewards you with Inspiration for next session as well. This should not occur every session, however, but only occasionally; GMs shouldn’t be targeting the heroes’ vulnerabilities constantly!

TEAM MORALE & COMBOS
Finally, there is a shared stat called Team Morale, which is a single score that applies to the whole group of PCs at the table. Team Morale begins at zero. Each time one of the heroes uses the Help action in combat, and whenever one of the players rolls a 20 on the d20 for an attack, ability check, or save, your shared Team Morale score goes up by 1. Once the Team Morale score equals the number of player characters at the table, they can decide together when to spend them to use a Team Combo. A Team Combo is a free action that all heroes take together, but the catch is this: you all must use this free action to come together to combine your powers and abilities! Each player must describe how they combine their attack or power with one or more other hero(es) into a combined or collaborative effect. Team Combos are a great opportunity for some narrative superheroics, and your GM knows to let these moments really shine. For now, though, the Team Morale stat begins at zero, so get ready to help your allies frequently!

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Once you reach certain levels, you gain the ability to use powers at certain levels reflexively. Once you do so, you no longer require slots at those levels and can use powers at those levels at will, as if you had an endless number of slots available.)

You know, I actually like this as a way of showing growth (Worlds in Peril had a similar schema of “power stunts you can do easily, with effort, and rarely” but I thought it wasn’t well-mechanized). The group check-in during the debrief stuff is also nice, and I laughed at the list of “races”. Wish I liked the basic D&D chassis at all though! Guess I’ll wait around to read when it gets a FATAL&Friends writeup.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Here's a very abbreviated chargen...

I like the old marvel superhero classes of Alien, Altered Human, Hi Tech, Mutant, and Robot better. Lotta characters just had one off weak powers that don't fit into any real class.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there anything approaching a consensus on what superhero games are "the good ones?" I enjoy Masks, but that's a hyper-specific kind of game. Anything more general than that that isn't just a nightmare of outmoded design choices?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
may I interest you in this game called

"double cross"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there anything approaching a consensus on what superhero games are "the good ones?" I enjoy Masks, but that's a hyper-specific kind of game. Anything more general than that that isn't just a nightmare of outmoded design choices?

If you're the type that wants to know exactly how fast Superman can fly, then Mutants and Masterminds isn't bad, despite its d20-system roots. It's pretty consistent, and the bits of it that break are well understood by the playerbase so it's easy to say "hey please just don't do this".

The big example is probably Power Arrays. You should use it to say "here's a couple of ways Spider-Man can use his webs in different ways, separate from traversal and binding a foe; but really he can only do one of these things at once." You should not grab twenty different powers and then stick them all in an array since "well I'm only gonna use one of these at a time anyway so it's cool do have both the laser eyes and the frost breath in there."

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 18, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Swags posted:

So, the forums search tool doesn't work on archives; and I believe a user's post history also only loads posts from the live (non-archived) forums? Not 100% sure about that.

You might try using google, with the site:forums.somethingawful.com argument in the search string. For me, searching with that filter and "liesmith" and "paladin" found a page of posts from a 2014 TG chat thread which in turn led to this post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639222&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post431477514
which links to these threads:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3223212
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426124
Those seem to be the two liesmith paladin threads you wanted?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's entry of okay ones but for my money the best one for character creation and smooth combat is Sentinels of the Multiverse.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Masks.

Sentinel Comics is generally considered the game du jour. I think it has some critical failings, but it’s very good and very popular.

Icons is popular, though not around here.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah the biggest failing is that it just doesn't model noncombat scenes especially well, or at all. There are some easy houserule workarounds (I like to treat noncombat scenes as long montages of downtime and info gathering where you can use power rolls to do things like shake down thugs or go on patrol, but quality rolls for research and social stuff), and the generally houserule that if you absolutely can't justify any of your powers for a quality based roll then you can just use two qualities.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
What base system do you want? There are so many. For example, Wearing the Cape is a FATE based game, Necessary Evil which spun out into the Superpowers Companion is Savage Worlds, Superworld is BRP based (and also long out of print), Guardians is OSR based...

(I have a sickness of collecting every superhero game and every edition of those games ever made...)

My favorites are probably Spectaculars, Champions, and horror of horrors...Underground

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'd do heroes in gurps but GURPS is super crunchy, and i'd probably require players to design a 'normal human', then have another block of points for power stuff to keep people from making savants.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm back from a convention this weekend (Norwescon 44). and I found a RPG that I had never heard of, but when i saw the concept, I had to simply buy. it's called Dialect, it's a story based world building RPG about languages. Reading it, it looks really cool, and comes with some prompt cards. it looks like it plays a lot like something like A Quiet Year. I tried to arrange a game at the con, but it hasn't worked out, but I'm interested in figuring out a way of playing it, either in person or online.

Also, one of the panelists for a few panels wrote a new RPG that's coming out in a few days called Coyote and Crow that looks really neat. It's written by indigenous people and the premise is a world where colonization never happened. I thumbed through a copy at the con store (from KS) and the premise intrigued me as something very different, and the art looks fantastic. I'll probability buy the PDF.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Foolster41 posted:

I'm back from a convention this weekend (Norwescon 44). and I found a RPG that I had never heard of, but when i saw the concept, I had to simply buy. it's called Dialect, it's a story based world building RPG about languages. Reading it, it looks really cool, and comes with some prompt cards. it looks like it plays a lot like something like A Quiet Year. I tried to arrange a game at the con, but it hasn't worked out, but I'm interested in figuring out a way of playing it, either in person or online.

Also, one of the panelists for a few panels wrote a new RPG that's coming out in a few days called Coyote and Crow that looks really neat. It's written by indigenous people and the premise is a world where colonization never happened. I thumbed through a copy at the con store (from KS) and the premise intrigued me as something very different, and the art looks fantastic. I'll probability buy the PDF.

Let us (or at least me) know how Dialect is. I've been intrigued for a long time but I'm super, super leery that it's gonna do some absolutely offensive "Eskimos have so many words for snow"/Sapir-Whorf bullshit.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I havn't read it cover to cover yet, but I've read a bit of it,and it doesn't seem to be going the whole "language defines culture" route, but it looks to be more general, and it's more about creating a new sort of slang or dialectic off-shoot than outright language.

The game is based on these scenerios (called "backdrops" and feel a lot like the playsets from Fiasco, the recomended first one is about a group of explorers sent to mars. Another is called "Theives' cant".

At least, this is my basic first impressions of it. I can report more once I read the whole book cover to cover.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I really like Dialect and I’ve played it a couple of times, although it can get a bit repetitive even with the different backdrops. It does manage to create situations in which you are basically creating your own secret little language and by the end of my play throughs it would have been pretty hard for anyone to actually understand what we were saying when we were talking in character. Most of the words it encourages you to create are meant to have at least an association with real life words, although there are also prompts to just create new words with no connections whatsoever. I like it because the card system it uses gives you ideas for words and also prompts for RP moments as well as allowing you to create characters which can conflict with one another.

There are also backdrops that focus on marginalised people (in a good way). I think overall the game works well if you are interested in etymology and would recommend it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

The power sets as trees immediately made me think of 2d20’s talent trees and I got the Marvel playtest the same week as Achtung! Cthulhu, and now I’ve finally gotten off my rear end and started writing my Supers 2d20 game, because I need a more boardgamey supers RPG in my life.

Goddamit I was already this close to doing my own rewrite of Golden Heroes/Squadron UK, for the second time. This sort of talk isn't helping.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Deptfordx posted:

Goddamit I was already this close to doing my own rewrite of Golden Heroes/Squadron UK, for the second time. This sort of talk isn't helping.

Golden Heroes was a nice enough game for its time. 1984 Games Workshop stuff was always interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Let us (or at least me) know how Dialect is. I've been intrigued for a long time but I'm super, super leery that it's gonna do some absolutely offensive "Eskimos have so many words for snow"/Sapir-Whorf bullshit.

I played a couple games of it with some friends a few years back and I don't remember any of that. It's more about thinking what kinds of metaphors would arise in its particular situations. It's a fun little thought exercise and it could be really neat if you wanted to play it as part of a session zero to develop some slang for a campaign you're going to run in a different system.