Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

important news; more GM variants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The English zeta op is good military ost stuff, I like it, but the first original op loving rules. I listen to it all the time between it being deleted from YouTube.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

The English zeta op is good military ost stuff, I like it, but the first original op loving rules. I listen to it all the time between it being deleted from YouTube.

Niel Sedaka is pretty good, yes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Neil Sedaka is Ocelot?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Neil Sedaka is Ocelot?

The moment any truth is passed on, it starts turning into fiction. The problem is, fiction inspires people more than facts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

The moment any truth is passed on, it starts turning into fiction. The problem is, fiction inspires people more than facts.

I mean it's true. More people in this thread would know Z Toki Wo Koete than they would know Better Days Are Coming.

The phantom OPain

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean it's true. More people in this thread would know Z Toki Wo Koete than they would know Better Days Are Coming.

The phantom OPain

What do Stellar, Auel and Sting have to do with this???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

What do Stellar, Auel and Sting have to do with this???

Les Enfants Terribles (I really have no idea I've only watched SEED Destiny once)

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 18, 2022

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Warmachine posted:

I think you're thinking of the Penelope? The flight unit has that distinctive tail-looking bit when it's flying.

So does 0080, and Unicorn has that one scene when the Shamblo's beam reflections slice through the fire escape that a mother was running down carrying her infant and :stonk:

My problem with this is that I feel it undercuts Unicorn trying to frame Zeon as victims and inherently noble.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think that's what unicorn was saying

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't think that's what unicorn was saying

Yeah, Unicorn thinks the Federation and Zeon both suck, but Zeon sucks more, and also both of them have understandable reasons for their awful actions. At least, in the anime.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

this is completely tangential to any discussion itt atm and maybe it would be better to ask this question in the gunpla thread, but I've been wondering why the High Mobility Test Type doesn't seem to be featured in any official media other than MSV. In recent years it seems like Bandai has been eager to give MSV suits appearances and the OYW is always a popular setting so it seems weird that this very cool looking suit, which supposedly saw limited combat deployment, hasn't even shown up in any of the media that feature a whole bunch of obscure UC stuff like SD gundam genesis or GBO2 (at least to my knowledge).

It seems like they copped its color scheme for kycilia's forces in origin, and I have it in my headcanon that the prototypes were somehow used as the basis for the efreet (since the suits share the same model number, and it seems weird that the earth attack force would have the resources to just develop its own MS out of whole cloth at the time). Anyways just curious about everyones thoughts since it seems some of the stuff from MSV has become ubiquitous while others seem to be neglected.

tl;dr the HMTT is a neat looking design and I wish we'd see an official, updated version of it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Just loving lol.

This right here is most of 08th MS Team, to be honest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Michel is just the worst most useless pimple on the 08th MS Team and it's honestly amazing he didn't get transferred.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arc Hammer posted:

Michel is just the worst most useless pimple on the 08th MS Team and it's honestly amazing he didn't get transferred.

He drives the truck.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

He gets given multiple opportunities to prove he isn't a gently caress up, fails them all, gets given the shittiest job because it's all he can do, and by time we reach the extraneous final episode he's been bounced from the Federal Forces which should be just about drat impossible. His attitudes are all wrong, and the show goes to great lengths to reinforce that. His comeuppance is being stuck in the friend zone with his buddies underage stalker. I don't think his awfulness is anything other than intentional, he's a loser start to finish, he's the character foil for Shiro (all the things Shiro does that the show tells us are good, Michel wouldn't or won't do). Whether you think that works well or not is up to each of us, but imo its intentional efforts, not some mistake of lazy or bad writing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wouldn't say it's bad writing to have a character like Michel, but both of his focus episodes are really weak and it makes an already pretty bad finale episode nearly insufferable. Terry and Karen were only ever going to be supporting characters and Elodore is his own thing, so they kind of wedged themselves into a corner with the finale by leaving you with the two characters meant to invoke pity and irritation to carry the episode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a better show if you exclude the epilogue episode. it doesn't really add anything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
08th MS Team has an ensemble cast that works best when they play off of each other. Terry being the only one willing to give Michel the benefit of the doubt and propose options makes the little poo poo more bearable.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The fight that Elodore and Michael have in the prison is pretty funny, so MIchael has at least one good moment.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

We can all agree the epilogue episode for 8th MS Team is bad and unnecessary.

This thread needs a few anchors of consensus and that topic feels like it might be the strongest one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Miller's Report is also bad. What a wasted character.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a better show if you exclude the epilogue episode. it doesn't really add anything.

Toonami didn't air it, they say because of all the nudity but I think because they knew it was bad

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

Toonami didn't air it, they say because of all the nudity but I think because they knew it was bad

There's a saying that you should "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" and I'd posit that you should never attribute benevolence that which is adequately explained by idiocy. Or, in this case, legal defensiveness.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Arc Hammer posted:

Miller's Report is also bad. What a wasted character.

Isn't it just a recap with a couple minutes of new animation?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Isn't it just a recap with a couple minutes of new animation?

It's got enough new animation for a whole new subplot, which is more than a lot of recaps get.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Bright was the commander of White Base, I'm sure he's a Newtype."

Kamille, that man was just about the only fuckin' dude on that ship that wasn't a Newtype.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He couldn't ride the rainbow.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Newtype is a spectrum

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This boy can't STOP punching people he shouldn't!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

"Bright was the commander of White Base, I'm sure he's a Newtype."

Kamille, that man was just about the only fuckin' dude on that ship that wasn't a Newtype.

Bright and Hayato.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was about to say that I bet even the kids were Newtypes, but then I remembered they fuckin' were.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I was about to say that I bet even the kids were Newtypes, but then I remembered they fuckin' were.

They were some of the Newtypiest, even!

(Official order of Newtypeness:
Amuro Ray
Mirai Yashima
Sayla Mass
Kikka Kitamoto
Katz Hawin
Letz Cofan
Kai Shiden
Fraw Bow
Tamura
Omar Fang
Job John
Marker Clan
Sunmalo
Oscar Dublin
Vammas
Masaki
Sleggar Law
Ryu Jose
Bright Noa
Paolo Cassius
Haro
G-Bull Easy
Hamburger Machine
Hayato Kobayashi)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think that's why the whole idea of newtypes being some kind of superior successor got proven kind of silly instead of it just being a state of consciousness you could reach under the right circumstances and mindset

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Char was interesting in that regard cause he was actually a pretty weak Newtype.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
You know, stuff like that makes me appreciate 00 Gundam's angle of making their Newtype-equivalents just the result of proximity to macguffins. Basically everyone important to White Base that wasn't Bright was a Newtype, which at that point just feels like statistical improbability driven by plot convenience, but in 00 it's just 'oh yeah, Innovator powers and quantum brainwaves are caused by proximity to these weird engines, that's why nearly every major pilot gets psychic powers'.

I presume the Lockons Stratos are exceptions for timespan reasons, and Patrick doesn't have enough brainwaves for the GN drives to quantize.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Char was interesting in that regard cause he was actually a pretty weak Newtype.

I mean, by the end, he seemed to at least be midcard from all the people going "He might be stronger than Char!" in Zeta like that was a Big Deal.

Cleretic posted:

You know, stuff like that makes me appreciate 00 Gundam's angle of making their Newtype-equivalents just the result of proximity to macguffins. Basically everyone important to White Base that wasn't Bright was a Newtype, which at that point just feels like statistical improbability driven by plot convenience, but in 00 it's just 'oh yeah, Innovator powers and quantum brainwaves are caused by proximity to these weird engines, that's why nearly every major pilot gets psychic powers'.

I presume the Lockons Stratos are exceptions for timespan reasons, and Patrick doesn't have enough brainwaves for the GN drives to quantize.

In the early UC stuff, Newtypism was sort of contagious, with even the not-Newtypes like Bright picking up "gut feelings" and an instinct for who had potential. It's not that you're born a Newtype or you're not. It's a state of mind that people who spend a lot of time around other Newtypes tend to move into.

It was only later that it became more of a hard and fast divide.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 19, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
To me the whole idea that "newtypes" were New Types of people instead of a latent potential held in everyone and expressed to different degrees was more interesting than the idea that there were discretely Oldtypes and Newtypes

some had the potential to such a degree that they were straight up ESPers and other people experienced more subtle expressions of it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, by the end, he seemed to at least be midcard from all the people going "He might be stronger than Char!" in Zeta like that was a Big Deal.

Char was an excellent prodigy of a pilot, this was in spite of his newtype abilities being pretty weak. The guy even doubts at a few points if he actually is a newtype, because of how weak his newtype powers are in comparison to most notable ones. His most impressive newtype ability was using the Six Funnels in the Sazabi while using new technology to boost his newtype powers. Meanwhile Chara in ZZ used 28 Funnels in the Geymalk with no tech assistance.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think Char's lack of Newtype prowess was psychological. he we was held back by his narrow and cynical view of the world. Amuro might have been a lame centrist but he did actually have more of an open mind

Char could never beat Amuro because his belief in human potential was shallow and just for show, whereas, I think Amuro actually really did think human potential was unlimited. Definitely didn't take the wisest course but he was very much more open to what could happen vs. Char's pessimism

muike fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 19, 2022