Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

lih posted:

that's something that labor should easily be able to promise to match so...

They already did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Well that solves that problem. AFAIK it's the Abbott system and right now it's on the PBS for health care card holders only. Much better than it used to be, but this means more people will continue to live longer without having to vote LNP.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

my prediction is that a national integrity commission/federal ICAC will become the new carbon trading scheme: The Greens will introduce a bill for a federal ICAC that actually has teeth and it will get voted down by everyone else. Labor will introduce a National Integrity Commission that will be piss weak and not solve anything, The Greens will vote against it, and so will the Libs, so then we have to put up with a decade of "the Greens don't want an anti corruption commission"

The Greens and Labor both want a corruption watchdog with teeth, but there will still be a split because Greens and Labor can't agree if those teeth should be covered by medicare.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/AmyRemeikis/status/1515291119156097038

:agesilaus:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://twitter.com/PeterFo46396181/status/1515540383719063557

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Very good piece by Tim Dunlop on Australian media failures when it comes to horse-race political coverage:

https://meanjin.com.au/blog/election-coverage-in-the-passive-voice/

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-17/rachelle-miller-allegations-historical-claim-other-liberal-mp/100996320

abc has dug up some info on the payout to rachelle miller: it's about allegations of sexual harassment by another liberal mp over a decade ago, in addition to the allegations against tudge. they don't have the name of the other mp and since it was over a decade ago they could easily be out of office by now too

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Bandt-aid.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

freebooter posted:

Very good piece by Tim Dunlop on Australian media failures when it comes to horse-race political coverage:

https://meanjin.com.au/blog/election-coverage-in-the-passive-voice/

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
This is my first time I’m in Australia for an election cycle in 13 years… and it’s just terrible coverage on the news. It feels like a race where it’s just back and forward points scoring with little consideration for policies and what would be good for the people of the country. Really disgraceful imo.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

stramit posted:

This is my first time I’m in Australia for an election cycle in 13 years… and it’s just terrible coverage on the news. It feels like a race where it’s just back and forward points scoring with little consideration for policies and what would be good for the people of the country. Really disgraceful imo.

Yep, it’s real bad, and no surprise we’ve had Libs for so long due to it

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Alan Tudge and Gladys Liu are contemptible excuses for human beings, just putting it out there

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Compare the pair…

Albo goes to Bluesfest

https://www.news.com.au/national/fe...2b0c7aeee190a91

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/albanese-gets-rock-star-reception-at-bluesfest-20220417-p5ae25.html

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bargearse posted:

Alan Tudge and Gladys Liu are contemptible excuses for human beings, just putting it out there

Gladys is in the electorate next door to me and I don't think Ive heard her name since she won the last election in iffy circumstances. What's the deal with her?

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

It is interesting watching a conservative hack hatch and morph into its his final form.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...414-p5adkr.html

tudge begged miller not to declare their relationship when miller's security clearance was being updated, which is a criminal offence (inciting someone to give false/misleading information to a commonwealth entity)

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Good thing he'll definitely face meaningful negative consequences for that hey

Edit: sorry not having a dig at you personally

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The new Health Minister Ruston has refused on AM this morning to rule out the reintroduction of Abbott style Medicare copayments if Morrison is re-elected.

lih
May 15, 2013

from what I've seen she wasn't specifically asked about mandatory GP co-payments (the context of her 2014 comments about Medicare being unsustainable), she just didn't rule out cuts to Medicare and repeatedly dodged the question

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

SecretOfSteel posted:

It is interesting watching a conservative hack hatch and morph into its his final form.

Alfred E Nueman to Paul Murray speed run.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

lih posted:

from what I've seen she wasn't specifically asked about mandatory GP co-payments (the context of her 2014 comments about Medicare being unsustainable), she just didn't rule out cuts to Medicare and repeatedly dodged the question

If Labor dont jump on this and do Mediscare v2, they dont deserve to win.

lih
May 15, 2013

they already are and were before that interview

https://twitter.com/lanai_scarr/status/1515895780259033090

let's see if the media hammers morrison over this in the same way (my guess: no lol)

lih fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 18, 2022

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

aejix posted:

Going to be one of the least satisfying "I told you so" moments when scomo coasts through to another election victory, but at least I put my money where my mouth is this time so the Australian media are going to indirectly finance a new stereo for me :3:

Christ I hope I'm wrong though

You can be right or you can be happy, I guess?

Konomex posted:

I'm starting to feel like if Labor win this, it won't be because of any campaign they ran, but because of the sheer weight of people on social media ranting about how over the top corrupt the LNP are. If only Labor could channel that a little bit better than promising ICAC by Christmas.

We need some old school black and white scare campaign poo poo.

The labs should do a riff on that horrible AIDS/Grim Reaper bowling ad where under the hood is Morrison, and the pins are Medicare, the ABC, pensions, etc.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

EoinCannon posted:

Gladys is in the electorate next door to me and I don't think Ive heard her name since she won the last election in iffy circumstances. What's the deal with her?

She said a lot of horrible homophobic and transphobic poo poo, well above and beyond the normal level of bigotry you'd expect from the Coalition, about how marriage equality and anti-bullying campaigns in schools are basically the same thing as handing your children over to pedophiles to be abused.

Also a bunch of vague waffling about "traditional values" that was meant to appeal to the Chinese community.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 18, 2022

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:fork:

lih
May 15, 2013

betting markets mean nothing and people are just getting spooked from last time + last week's gaffes

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

lih posted:

betting markets mean nothing and people are just getting spooked from last time + last week's gaffes

God I hope so, but after the Brexit Vote, 2016 US election and 2018 Australian Federal election gonna be chewing nails hard for the next month.

lih
May 15, 2013

there are reasons to be worried and the betting market reflects that, it's not a reason to be worried in and of itself

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...t-link-proposal

unrelated to the federal election, the vic libs have committed to the eastwest link yet again, fairly confusingly

lih fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 18, 2022

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

God I hope so, but after the Brexit Vote, 2016 US election and 2018 Australian Federal election gonna be chewing nails hard for the next month.

Im fully embracing that the libs will win. Australians have given me no reason to think that they wont gently caress this up completely, again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

lih posted:

Apparently nothing matters when you are desperately trying to cope!

lih
May 15, 2013

there are good reasons to be worried (the media is poo poo, albanese has been a pretty poor campaigner so far) but the betting markets do not have predictive power and doomposting because of them is perhaps the silliest reason possible

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

lih posted:

there are good reasons to be worried (the media is poo poo, albanese has been a pretty poor campaigner so far) but the betting markets do not have predictive power and doomposting because of them is perhaps the silliest reason possible

Oh im not doomposting because of the markets. Im doomposting because this is australia and we are in the shithouse timeline where everything is bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Albanese is a weak candidate and he will demonstrate weakness again before this week is done.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

Apparently nothing matters when you are desperately trying to cope!

Please don't attack me like this

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

lih posted:

bell jar posted:

Sportsbet paid out the last election before the results were called. If anything has taught me not to count my chickens when it comes to auspol elections, it was that.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

JBP posted:

Albanese is a weak candidate and he will demonstrate weakness again before this week is done.

You could say the same thing about Mr Daggy Dad too

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Says a lot that a bunch of nerds on a dying Internet forum can shitpost a better campaign than Albo

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Just extremely funny how quickly Labor's odds have collapsed.

With Trump or Brexit or 2019, it wasn't until voting was underway and results were coming in that things swung unexpectedly.

This time, still five weeks out and they've already cratered their almost unbackable lead.

Good work to those who threw money down on LNP at nearly $4.00, and lmao to me that I'm now considering ALP ~$2.00 a risky longshot.

Scomo's gunna win.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Mola Yam posted:

Scomo's gunna win.

In a fucken landslide because we live in the timeline where the stupidest thing possible happens every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Death is Morrison.