Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

first landlords, then Uyghurs, now Cantonese, when will the Chinese genocides end

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has anybody ever met a white guy learn and speak Cantonese? I have never seen one IRL. I have met an Indian teen who spoke Cantonese because he grew up in HK. He wore a Sikh turban now that I think about it.

I hope Stanford scam some funding from NED.

Me and also some weirdo British expats and a few locally born foreigners in HK.

It's not very useful except when I drink with my Canto speaking coworkers.

It now just randomly infects my Mandarin with Canto slang / pronunciations

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has anybody ever met a white guy learn and speak Cantonese? I have never seen one IRL.

I used to walk my German Shepherd through Toronto's Chinatown every day so I learned how to say "he's a good dog" but apparently my tonal accent was wrong and people just laughed at me. When I asked the person who taught me why that was she asked me to repeat what I said and when I did she too laughed and said "No, maybe don't say that". To this day I have no idea what I actually was telling folks but it couldn't have been good.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

indigi posted:

how did he get to be in charge
'deng xiaoping: a revolutionary life' is pretty good and well-written, recommended

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

fart simpson posted:

how well do you consider "learned" ? i know a few white guys that learned cantonese but i dont think it was to a really high level. i used to be able to understand cantonese to about a2 level or so but couldn't really speak it very well at all and ive let the listening ability fade

I guess good enough to make chitchats with strangers and order stuff in restaurants. Being able to make phone calls and watch local TV show is what I would call the next level. I don't know which one is A2.

edit, That's a lot of Cantonese goons in this thread, I have no idea.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Red and Black posted:

I think Dashan can speak Cantonese
he's like the only white guy who can make jokes about chinese people who can't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK51dlpqpSE&t=562s

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Bilirubin posted:

I used to walk my German Shepherd through Toronto's Chinatown every day so I learned how to say "he's a good dog" but apparently my tonal accent was wrong and people just laughed at me. When I asked the person who taught me why that was she asked me to repeat what I said and when I did she too laughed and said "No, maybe don't say that". To this day I have no idea what I actually was telling folks but it couldn't have been good.

Saying cantonese 9 tones correctly is really hard. You might have to learn it when you are young. Mandarin's 4 tones are easier because there are tons of Chinese whose mother tongue are not Mandarin who have to speak Mandarin at work, so you always meet people who speak weird Mandarin anyway. Not so for Cantonese.

I watch this linguist's video (John McWhorter) on different languages and he has one lecture on Cantonese grammar. Even his Cantonese speak is quite bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you might be a gweilo if

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/tongbingxue/status/1515626625680896000?cxt=HHwWgMCrvdmYy4gqAAAA

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

indigi posted:

first landlords, then Uyghurs, now Cantonese, when will the Chinese genocides end

we don’t seem to summon the same care for aave or the southern dialect of English. Mote in your neighbors eye

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Should we prepare for "zero covid"-style lockdowns (aka martial law) if Marcos Junior wins?

Marcos has no backbone, so I don't for a second doubt we will fall to China under his admin. The only small consolation is we'll probably avoid a full-on violent confrontation ala Ukraine since we won't put up any resistance.

My question is, how likely will the Shanghai-level lockdown be imposed on us? Purportedly under the guise of curbing COVID (which they will probably fake the numbers to say it will surge again after elections), but is really a version of Martial Law Lite. And if so, other than to stock up on essentials and maybe start a vegetable garden, what else can we do to avoid/cope with that?

If anyone here has actual experience during the Martial Law era, I'd be keen to hear your personal stories.

I don't want to catastrophize, but I don't want to be caught blindsided either. The world IS awful right now, after all. Anything goes at this point

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

I guess good enough to make chitchats with strangers and order stuff in restaurants. Being able to make phone calls and watch local TV show is what I would call the next level. I don't know which one is A2.

edit, That's a lot of Cantonese goons in this thread, I have no idea.

chatting with strangers and ordering in restaurants, yeah i can think of a couple whiteys i know who live in hong kong.

also an "a2" listening level basically means: "Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most intermediate areas, such as shopping, family, employment, etc." i didnt study much directly, but ive lived in shenzhen for over a decade and had an ex who primarily spoke cantonese with her friends, and i used to play mahjong with that group a lot so i picked stuff up there

https://www.europassitalian.com/blog/cefr-levels/

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

some posters on may 13, 1940: germany has bitten off more than it can chew, the BEF and french army have this in the bag

hmm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

don't post itt, thank you

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

can’t you go love your nazi pals in one of the forums that’s actually for you

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

PawParole posted:

we don’t seem to summon the same care for aave or the southern dialect of English. Mote in your neighbors eye

is the southern dialect of english what clay higgins speaks

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lol the liberals think that Ukraine won already.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

THS2 posted:

is the southern dialect of english what clay higgins speaks

the queens English is going extinct

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

PawParole posted:

the queens English is going extinct

it's been dead for six months just like her

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

don't post itt, thank you

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

fart simpson posted:

chatting with strangers and ordering in restaurants, yeah i can think of a couple whiteys i know who live in hong kong.

also an "a2" listening level basically means: "Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most intermediate areas, such as shopping, family, employment, etc." i didnt study much directly, but ive lived in shenzhen for over a decade and had an ex who primarily spoke cantonese with her friends, and i used to play mahjong with that group a lot so i picked stuff up there

https://www.europassitalian.com/blog/cefr-levels/

Oh man have not played proper game of mahjong in forever should do a goons game night sometime

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What rule do you play though. My wife is a very casual Mahjang player. We went to her friend's house and play a couple hours. I was turned off by how amatuer they were.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I've heard people from UK several times refer to Britain's isolated island dialect as "English"

"Anyway I want a fag, oh, sorry that's english for Cigarette"

weird poo poo going on over there, out of touch

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antonymous posted:

I've heard people from UK several times refer to Britain's isolated island dialect as "English"

they are hosed up and honestly it isn’t ok

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Antonymous posted:

brits out

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

stephenthinkpad posted:

What rule do you play though. My wife is a very casual Mahjang player. We went to her friend's house and play a couple hours. I was turned off by how amatuer they were.

Its been so long ago I couldn't say. It was a very complex set of rules and possible hands for points. My roommate at the time got a gorgeous set and he does things to the extreme usually. I used to play semi competitive bridge and I found it scratched the same itch. We played against each other through the week and had larger games on weekends.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Antonymous posted:

Nobody speaks English worse than the English themselves.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Endman posted:

Nobody speaks English worse than the English themselves.

when you learn English outside of school you have a choice in what accent you pay to learn. I always felt like there was something wrong with the people signing up for the British English classes without having any business with Britain. there are very few of these troubled souls, thankfully.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

an entire nation decided to model their accent off nathan j. robinson and i will never understand why

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

mawarannahr posted:

when you learn English outside of school you have a choice in what accent you pay to learn. I always felt like there was something wrong with the people signing up for the British English classes without having any business with Britain. there are very few of these troubled souls, thankfully.

I’ll always prefer “official” British English from an aesthetics point of view; it sounds nice and fits better with Australian English regarding spelling, but nobody in England outside the BBC actually speaks it.

If you’re learning the language you should just learn whatever the people you’re most likely to communicate with use.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Endman posted:

If you’re learning the language you should just learn whatever the people you’re most likely to communicate with use.

which is why 99% of the time i use a bastardized version of english only slavs can understand lmao

realtalk tho, p. much everywhere except america teaches british english in schools, i had a bit of trouble over it because i've seen a lot of various flavours of english media as a kid and my teacher kept being angry about "use one or the other not both" because i just use whatever sounds better

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Endman posted:

I’ll always prefer “official” British English from an aesthetics point of view; it sounds nice and fits better with Australian English regarding spelling, but nobody in England outside the BBC actually speaks it.

Mary Poppins English and US newscaster English are the only two.

Some drunk northern oval office talked poo poo to me the other week and I couldn't understand a word he was saying, which is how I pegged him for a northern oval office.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

zed

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
peedophile

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

shedule

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they’re right about how to spell centre. if something is central it’s central, not “centeral” :rolleyes: also aluminium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Mary Poppins English and US newscaster English are the only two.

Some drunk northern oval office talked poo poo to me the other week and I couldn't understand a word he was saying, which is how I pegged him for a northern oval office.

Does the transatlantic accent that US newscasters all had at one point still exist? It’s a beautiful accent and it’d be a shame to lose it.

My family in the UK are all northern, so I have a gift of being able to understand their carry on, which usually amounts to intense displeasure over trading players in premier league football or something.