Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

LionArcher posted:

how you make the lentils?

it’s not easy to express because it’s kind if variations on
a general framework but the steps involve:

dice onion or garlic (usually onion for me)
cook on sauté setting in butter or olive oil

after you done the onions turn it off and add:
tomato paste if you want, about 80% of a can/jar (or all of it if you can tolerate it) (red pepper paste also works excellently if you have it)
anaheim pepper
carrots if you want
cumin
coriander
salt
red pepper flakes
hot sauce if you want
maybe half a cup of vinegar if you want
bay leaf if you want

then you add the lentils (about a pound) and add either water or — highly recommended — stock or broth until they are covered with about 2/3 inch of headroom. you also need to add a requisite amount of fat, I recommend lots of butter if green lentils, olive oil if red. that’s really up to you. I’ve probably put a stick of butter in there before. at least 2/3 tablespoons for the onion and at least 4 tablespoons more maybe.

next you want to use the stew or beans setting on the pressure cooker. I think I did like 23 minutes last time. it’s hard to overcook them.

add garnish of Italian parsley if red lentils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

God drat

quote:

spillage of 87 containers full of lentil-sized plastic pellets: nurdles.

quote:

In some places they are up to 2 metres deep. They have been found in the bodies of dead dolphins and the mouths of fish. About 1,680 tonnes of nurdles were released into the ocean. It is the largest plastic spill in history,

quote:

They are the second-largest source of micropollutants in the ocean, by weight, after tyre dust. An astounding 230,000 tonnes of nurdles end up in oceans every year.

quote:

nurdles are highly persistent pollutants, and will continue to circulate in ocean currents and wash ashore for decades. They are also “toxic sponges”, which attract chemical toxins and other pollutants on to their surfaces.

quote:

"Pollutants can be a million times more concentrated on the surface of pellets than in the water,” he says. “And we know from lab studies that when a fish eats a pellet, some of those pollutants come loose.”

quote:

Nurdles also act as “rafts” for harmful bacteria such as E coli or even cholera, one study found, transporting them from sewage outfalls and agricultural runoff to bathing waters and shellfish beds.

So we invented little assassins numbering in the billions that roam the oceans for years, murdering everything with poisons and diseases, outstanding, great job everyone

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

mawarannahr posted:

parts shortages that bad?

the main hobby I’ve worked on lately figuring out the instant pot. I’ve developed a couple dishes that make it worth the kitchen space, namely lamb stew and lentils. wonder where I’ll go next

i like to make extremely low effort split pea soup in mine whenever I can find cheap pork products, just cut the meat into tiny chunks and cook the heck outta it then toss it in the instant pot with dried splitpeas + lots of stock + enough MSG to kill a horse

just be aware its going to be complicated to reheat because it will begin to solidify into a thick gel after about 15 minutes

kater
Nov 16, 2010

split nurdle soup

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Hubbert posted:

finally, someone in this thread is doing something productive :unsmith:

actually I'm going to look into getting my fatbike electrified with something a bit illegal that would be faster than the 25 km/h limit imposed round here,
and getting a flatbed trailer that can hold at leat a couple of bouldering crash pads

it's more of a summer project though, first I need to find out how much (little) this uni research group internship is actually going to pay me

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

So we invented little assassins numbering in the billions that roam the oceans for years, murdering everything with poisons and diseases, outstanding, great job everyone

:lmao:

I can feel it... the snack aisle, it's calling to me...

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

hell yes, and we created them with no moving parts whatsoever in order to maximize their lifespan

eventually, upon sufficient nurdles getting lodged inside of marine fungi, the bacteria on their surfaces will birth the first orks

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
orks are probably the most eco friendly 40k faction even with their mekboyz spouting fantasy diesel gas smoke

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/sallyhayd/status/1515962802002931713

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

Hmm I wonder why. . .

Oh.

Direct action gets the goods.

Does it make me an rear end in a top hat for not caring if some "Fifth generation" jerks still profiting off of what their families did in the 1700s/1800s are getting owned by a drought? Most of the ways back then to get giant sprawling empires that will endure the centuries weren't exactly humanitarian.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/ftenergy/status/1515644712430063619

quote:

Daimler Trucks, eBay and a US energy company were among the recent buyers of carbon offsets created by projects that involved injecting carbon dioxide underground in order to extract more oil.

Three US-based extraction projects were eligible to generate credits because their processes involved the capture of CO2. But this was used as a way to extract fresh oil that would otherwise have been inaccessible, a procedure known as “enhanced oil recovery” (EOR).

The offsetting rules that the credits were created under ignored the emissions associated with the extracted oil.

Nearly 3mn credits from the three projects, which cannot generate new offsets following a rule change, have been used by buyers to compensate for carbon emissions. Each offset is supposed to represent a tonne of carbon that has been permanently avoided or removed from the atmosphere.

“Offsetting emissions with these credits is complete nonsense,” said Gilles Dufrasne, policy officer at Carbon Market Watch. “If the captured carbon enables an increase in oil extraction, then obviously this must be part of the calculation, and would likely negate any supposed climate benefits.”

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Chard posted:

sending this message back in time to my slightly-less-brain-damaged teenage self

why did I not learn about smoking out of an apple until i was 19

poo poo should be mandatory, part of DARE

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Cabbages and Kings posted:

why did I not learn about smoking out of an apple until i was 19

poo poo should be mandatory, part of DARE

Johnny Appleseed also went around planting dogfennel because he thought it was medicinal but people aren't as happy about that.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Literally carbon onsets but probably as effective as any of the other (commercial) carbon offsets out there

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
Since it's Easter, some non-doomer light content.

Small group that blogs on low-tech stuff and energy efficiency. Not sure if posted already but I guess some of you might get some enjoyment out of some of the content on their entirely solar powered website.
Hosted in Spain though, so some of you might find the website down when you try and access it :)

https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/high-tech-problems.html

Someone should also probably just buy them an account.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

two-time fee posted:

Small group that blogs on low-tech stuff and energy efficiency. Not sure if posted already but I guess some of you might get some enjoyment out of some of the content on their entirely solar powered website.
Hosted in Spain though, so some of you might find the website down when you try and access it :)

These guys are great and most thread regulars will definitely like them, pro click

This article in particular is great: https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015/12/fruit-walls-urban-farming.html

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 13:23 on Apr 18, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

two-time fee posted:

This is great, thanks. There's some good stuff on here:

Thank god somebody's saying it. All the techno-utopianism about vertical farms is absurd.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

God Hole posted:

for three years from 2017 to 2020 i was a peace corps volunteer in Ukraine. the small village i lived in is now a smoking crater, my students' and friends' and loved ones' lives have been completely destroyed as they flee senseless violence caused in part by my government, and I get to watch as my countrymen who before February knew absolutely nothing about Ukraine or even where it was on a map, describe the people i loved alternatively as Nazis or ethnic Russians depending on their preexisting core beliefs. people who just lived their lives and sold strawberries at the bazaar with their grandmother and knew that they were never going to be able to afford a better lot in life but regardless did what they could to hold onto happiness and love. that's all gone now, and all of their sufferings have only served to entrench ideological poles over here rather than shift them in a positive direction.

modest efforts to leverage my esoteric knowledge on covid and climate change to inform those around me and inoculate them to the looming horrors on the horizon have only served to isolate me socially and alienate the few friends i had left. i turned 30 years old this year, and with that benchmark has come the realization that everything i have ever done has been rendered meaningless by machinery outside of my ability to fully conceive of or influence. i laugh because it hurts not to, and i do not consider it a luxury.

but regardless yeah, gently caress fatalism. the only dignity left in life lies in continual struggle and one must imagine sisyphus etc etc

lol I just tried expressing similar sentiments in the COVID thread using my broken and ponderous English, then I come across this gem of a post. Good job making me feel even more inarticulate and useless XD.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

IAMKOREA posted:

These guys are great and most thread regulars will definitely like them, pro click

This article in particular is great: https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015/12/fruit-walls-urban-farming.html

Also some windmills for Rime to Chase, wooden ones even :) :

https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2019/06/small-wooden-wind-turbines.html

https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2019/06/wooden-wind-turbines.html

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Hexigrammus posted:

Yeah, this shouldn't be a glyphosate effect. I need to do some more reading and get a microscope. Higher animals don't have a metabolic pathway that glyphosate could impact, fungus and other microorganisms do though. The more I read about the interplay between plant nutrition, roots, and mycorrhiza the more I wonder if treated plants transport and exude glyphosate through their roots impacting the microorganisms in the immediate area and affecting the nutrients available to succeeding species.

For you glyphosate defenders - ignore me, I'm just pulling hypotheses out of my arse. Wouldn't surprise me though if "there's always more, and it's always worse" also applies to better living through chemistry.

if I remember my crop protection classes correctly, glyphosate has a pretty low half-life in water/soil solution, something like a month or so. it binds quite readily to soils with high cation exchange capacity (i.e. soils high in organics or clay content), which, as I understand it, can slow the degradation, since some of the binding sites on the molecule aren't exposed. it can also chelate free cationic minerals in the soil solution (Ca, for example), reducing their availability to plants.

But considering the relatively tiny amount of actual active ingredient applied to crops, though, (like 540 g active ingredient per liter of water at the high rate, with a water application rate of around 1-10L/acre, depending on the crop and weeds), the fairly rapid degradation of glyphosate, and its tendency to adsorb to the surface of the soil, it's pretty unlikely it would have a significant impact on nutrient takeup.

Other herbicides, however, are a whole different ballgame. There are plenty with residual effects that can affect things like seed germination in subsequent crop years.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I had a dream last night that I was standing next to a silent, omniscient presence of some kind in a spectacular Mezozoic landscape full of more colors than I can really see.

I started to talk and then broke down crying about how this world was teeming with life and biomass and we're turning it all into ash for my children. The silent figure seemed to express compassion and helplessness.

I probably should stop reading this thread right before bed. Or not, that was a pretty lit dream

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

two-time fee posted:

lol I just tried expressing similar sentiments in the COVID thread using my broken and ponderous English, then I come across this gem of a post. Good job making me feel even more inarticulate and useless XD.

after Ukraine I decided to move to Phoenix for some reason, so I'll have a few more post-bong-rip doom posts lined up for the thread when history inevitably starts happening here too, but it'll probably be a few years. feel free to consecrate this pit with some of your own in the meantime!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I remember seeing something in this thread about how warming on land is roughly double what the numbers are overall, i.e. at 2c global warming, that translates to an average of 4c warming on land, with warming over water being lower. Is that right?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I remember seeing something in this thread about how warming on land is roughly double what the numbers are overall, i.e. at 2c global warming, that translates to an average of 4c warming on land, with warming over water being lower. Is that right?

it varies but yes in general land gets warmer. and ofc more extreme events

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/world-of-change/global-temperatures

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

It is global average and since most of the globe is covered by ocean and will be cooler than the land.

When people say 2c isn't too bad, they are forgetting that it is actually 4-5c where people live and attempt to farm.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

thank you for the pesticide information, thread! i know absolutely nothing about pesticides, so what i assumed was glyphosate, probably wasn't. from what you've all told me, glyphosate sounds less damaging to the environment than whatever they used. luckily, although natives can't handle it, all the weeds were immune to whatever it was and sprang back almost immediately.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
its above freezing but also snowing so hard that its accumulating and a white out. so much for global warming!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

thank you for the pesticide information, thread! i know absolutely nothing about pesticides, so what i assumed was glyphosate, probably wasn't. from what you've all told me, glyphosate sounds less damaging to the environment than whatever they used. luckily, although natives can't handle it, all the weeds were immune to whatever it was and sprang back almost immediately.

there's a whole mess of herbicides used in farming. they're categorized by their primary mode of action (for example, in Canada, glyphosate belongs to Group 9, which means that it damages the plant's ability to create the proteins needed to make critical enzymes), but even a single herbicide can have a mixture of active ingredients and adjuvants. glyphosate, as far as we can tell, is less directly harmful to the environment and living things, but with the sheer amount of it we apply, who knows what effects it and its degradation products are having on microbial communities in the soil, or even on humans. like, our chemical crop protection regime is just a vast science experiment being conducted on a global scale. Does this poo poo mimic human hormones? Cause health problems long term? What about the products that herbicides degrade into (e.g. glyphosate -> AMPA), do those have any effect on us? Who knows?? Most ag research is industry funded, and who wants to pay to find out how harmful their chemicals are? And even if that research is done for, say, government certification purposes, you can just submit whatever results you like!

anyway, to return to the main point: so long as there has been adequate moisture in the areas where the glyphosate was sprayed, it should have degraded or become bound to the soil or leached into the ground water already. Like, farmers in my area spray Roundup (glyphosate) and then are out seeding two weeks later with no ill effects to the crop.

but maybe your council is not just spraying glyphosate. like, if they were trying to control certain broadleaf weeds without killing grass, they might have been using a Group 4 herbicide like clopyralid/MCPA or dicamba, which can definitely stay resident in the soil for a long time and have negative effects on anything planted in the area. a herbicide might contain a mixture of glyphosate and one or more, for example, group 4 chemicals. so maybe asking them will help you figure out the possible source of the problem.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/dantes76/status/1516024444837322752

Why am I posting this in the Biosphere thread?

For the first time in decades, an absolutely insane amount of Siberia has high-res recent imagery available. It's a blanket removal, so while the world jizzes over ruined & abandoned military bases and towns which appear to have totally collapsed to the dark ages the rest of us can go cruise around looking for climate related poo poo.

Like 69.68635098859913, 170.42654534723755, a massive burning trash pile with a 1km long emissions plume. Just south of there there's an abandoned facility which looks like a nanobot plague exploded out of it.

I dunno, I've only been at this for a few hours, I'm sure there's a shitload of interesting environmental devastation on display which we have a very brief window of opportunity to catalogue. :downs:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
so when are we dying

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Who woulda thought that the same people who have entire teams of accountants working round the clock to find tax dodges would apply those same skills to climate change issues?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

so when are we dying

when they stop selling me my medicine

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

bag em and tag em posted:

Who woulda thought that the same people who have entire teams of accountants working round the clock to find tax dodges would apply those same skills to climate change issues?
https://www.ft.com/content/b8500163-4618-48dd-9e0b-d395b793331f

quote:

Daimler trucks, eBay and a US energy company were among the recent buyers of carbon offsets created by projects that involved injecting carbon dioxide underground in order to extract more oil.

Three US-based extraction projects were eligible to generate credits because their processes involved the capture of CO2. But this was used as a way to extract fresh oil that would otherwise have been inaccessible, a procedure known as “enhanced oil recovery” (EOR).

The offsetting rules that the credits were created under ignored the emissions associated with the extracted oil.

we stopped the fire, but we had to add more fire to put it out. accounting is weird!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Converted methane-burning heating system to electric heat pump, installed rainwater catchment system, and only have a tiny bit of grass left that hasn't been converted into (1) raised beds or (2) clover. It's taken years, but feeling pretty good about the changes made so far.

(In PNW so most of electricity from non-fossil sources)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

don’t forget there’s a massive tax credit to the oil companies for doing eor too

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Act Local
Mourn Global

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Converted methane-burning heating system to electric heat pump, installed rainwater catchment system, and only have a tiny bit of grass left that hasn't been converted into (1) raised beds or (2) clover. It's taken years, but feeling pretty good about the changes made so far.

(In PNW so most of electricity from non-fossil sources)

like, an air source heat pump?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we are going to burn everything that burns. nothing will stop us from releasing every last ounce of hydroxylated carbon back into the atmosphere, where it belongs. this is our purpose on earth and once we are done we can disappear until millions of years from now when there is a lot of buried carbon reserves to burn again. converting solar photons from high energy to low energy. increasing entropy. that's the meaning of life.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i contend that describing the action a force takes does not, in fact, contain the meaning of that force

time flows forward and entropy increases, but is our purpose to maximize that flow? no, i say, it is to enjoy that flow

*noisily consumes juicy burg*

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Karach posted:

like, an air source heat pump?
Yeah even the air sourced one is great. You can input 1kw and get something like 4kw of heat out of it depending on the conditions.

There's also air sourced heat pump water heater. National Renewable Energy Laboratory/NREL ested to see if it's possible to install it in a way where the heat from the attic is ducted to heat the water

It worked and you get a slightly cooler and less humid attic at the same time

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy16osti/64860.pdf

Heat pump is great, everyone should use one for their heating needs. The AC portion is similar to how regular AC is setup where there is a condenser to cool down the refrigerant and piped into the indoor unit. But the neat part is that the unit can run in reverse to also pipe in the heat during winter.

When you stand next to the outdoor unit in winter, you can feel the freezing cold air being blasted from the outdoor unit as it carries heat back into the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
https://thumbsnap.com/i/uURYMorY.mp4