Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

For what it's worth, the people behind Retroarch are so abusive that they played a part in Byuu/Near's suicide, and caused the Duckstation dev to temporarily abandon the project. If that sort of thing bothers you I'd suggest using an alternative. Or going with standalone emulators if possible, since they tend to run better (in Windows at least).

Sincerely, thank you for highlighting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Anyone disappointed in their purchase after spending some time with it?

Thankfully no, I thought the weight would be a big issue, but I got used to it. I have only used the back buttons for Desk Job, which is a shame. But I've been enjoying the Steam Deck with stuff like No Man's Sky, Coromon and Binding of Issac.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Quixzlizx posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch to desktop mode, or at least to bring up the power menu so I don't have to hold down the power button?

The power menu is also in the Steam button menu.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

For what it's worth, the people behind Retroarch are so abusive that they played a part in Byuu/Near's suicide, and caused the Duckstation dev to temporarily abandon the project. If that sort of thing bothers you I'd suggest using an alternative. Or going with standalone emulators if possible, since they tend to run better (in Windows at least).

Holy poo poo I had no idea

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Does the store page also change when it's your turn, or do you have to use an e-mail link?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is the 512GB model a worthwhile upgrade over the 256GB, or are the extra features a waste of money? Thinking of getting on the wait list for one of these since impressions seem mostly positive and I prefer handheld gaming in general.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I don't think the features would be good enough to justify the extra wait time. Unless you live in the UK. The queue there is moving quicker.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Is the 512GB model a worthwhile upgrade over the 256GB, or are the extra features a waste of money? Thinking of getting on the wait list for one of these since impressions seem mostly positive and I prefer handheld gaming in general.

Personally I have yet to see anything to make me regret choosing the 64GB over either of them; MicroSD read speeds are excellent, I've never felt "I wish I had space to install this on the internal storage". The OS does install some things on internal storage only, and a few people have reported bumping up against the 64GB limit with a lot of really big games installed on SD, but there are ways to move that stuff to SD card as well if needed.

Between 256 and 512GB the only real difference is the screen; personally I don't feel a need for anti-glare glass the ways I use it, but if you have the money and think you're going to be lugging this thing around outdoors, sure.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

The Postman posted:

Does the store page also change when it's your turn, or do you have to use an e-mail link?

The store page updates with an order button where the preorder button was before. The steam client also gets a bright-colored notification box across the top to notify you that you can place your order.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I got the 256gb and for my purposes (smaller indie games, emulation) that's a fine amount and I don't see myself even getting an SD card right now. the only thing I'm curious about is how much nicer the anti-glare screen might be

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I got the bigass one because that one felt like the "full version" of the deck and all the other ones are varying degrees of pared down from that. Granted it also was the most expensive one, which is also something to consider. Dollar for dollar what I got from the steam deck is still better than a $700 laptop or desktop, though.

Also can confirm, elden ring runs just fine on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

chainchompz posted:

I got the bigass one because that one felt like the "full version" of the deck and all the other ones are varying degrees of pared down from that. Granted it also was the most expensive one, which is also something to consider. Dollar for dollar what I got from the steam deck is still better than a $700 laptop or desktop, though.

Also can confirm, elden ring runs just fine on it.

I don't have my Deck yet but yeah this is my thinking. The best deck has zero drawbacks vs the other decks besides price. It isn't heavier or more battery life or whatever, and nobody has ever went "Dang why do I have so much free space?"

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I don't have my Deck yet but yeah this is my thinking. The best deck has zero drawbacks vs the other decks besides price. It isn't heavier or more battery life or whatever, and nobody has ever went "Dang why do I have so much free space?"

Price and availability. But yeah, if neither of those are issues then it is straightforwardly the best*.

* - I have seen one or two people online claim that they like the anti-glare screen less, but that's probably safely ignorable.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Im guessing i'll want a screen protector will that defeat the purpose of the antiglare?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I wish the steam dock would be purchasable already so I can bin my switch.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Any decent USB-C hub with HDMI out will work. Pick the one that seems the most comfortable to use for your set up.

The Switch's USB C implementation had some quirks that prevented it from working with standard hubs. The Deck ShouldJustWork(tm).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I went with the 512 and already having several 512 handhelds I knew it wouldn’t be enough.

It’s really nice the deck has the SD card for expansion.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’m a little upset I didn’t swing for the 512GB but I have a 512GB SD card already and between that and the 256GB included, I’m not realistically gonna have that many games installed that I’m actively playing.

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

I have a 256GB SD but I'm in the middle of a big move so it's packed away in a storage unit. If I get my Deck in the next wave I'll have to just buy another SD. Luckily they aren't expensive at all anymore.

Knowing me I'm gonna fill up the 512GB with a ton of impulsive downloads.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

The Postman posted:

On top of what the other person said, you also get a popup that you can’t dismiss without checking a box.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Thanks for the feedback! Went ahead and went with the 256GB version.

All three versions won't ship until Q3 of this year for now, and obviously I'm not in a rush to begin with, so I figured 256GB would be the best bang for my buck.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

All three versions won't ship until Q3 of this year for now, and obviously I'm not in a rush to begin with, so I figured 256GB would be the best bang for my buck.

You won't regret it. It's every bit the revelation the switch was and I hope Valve makes $Texas money with it so everyone starts making these things

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
More battery talk:

I've been playing Valkyria Chronicles recently and it gets about 5 hours on the internal battery at 60 fps. In comparison Tales of Arise did about 1:30 at 60 fps. The wattage that the game is pulling seems to be a good indicator of how quickly it will drain the battery. VC does around 7-8 watts at 60fps and Arise was doing 23-24 watts.

So if you need to save battery, maybe using the TDP controls to force the cpu down might work well. Either way, older games will run very long.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone is unaware of it (like me), the "Steam button plus (button)" combinations can be toggled by both the steam button on the left side and the "..." button on the right side

I was exceptionally bewildered who thought "Steam button plus anything on the dpad" was a sane combination of buttons to have people press until I tried the other side on a whim and now that expectation makes a hell of a lot more sense

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

v1ld posted:

Any decent USB-C hub with HDMI out will work. Pick the one that seems the most comfortable to use for your set up.

The Switch's USB C implementation had some quirks that prevented it from working with standard hubs. The Deck ShouldJustWork(tm).

That is good to know!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
there are also tons of 3D-printable docks and holders for the deck in all kinds of figurations. You can either download and print something your self (or let a company print it for you) or order it straight away from somewhere like etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/118279...6c%3A1182795298

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
April 18th goons, today's our day. :hai:

Yes, I'm high on copium.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Mega64 posted:

After Q3. They are ramping up and reservations are lowering, but currently the listing is After Q3 which hopefully does mean a bit around/after Q3 you can get it as soon as you order it, but please note it likely will be Q4 or 2023 before a preorder now comes.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

minusX posted:

After Q3. They are ramping up and reservations are lowering, but currently the listing is After Q3 which hopefully does mean a bit around/after Q3 you can get it as soon as you order it, but please note it likely will be Q4 or 2023 before a preorder now comes.

As lovely as this might seem, at least I was able to get my hands on a Steam Deck through this system. The PS5 has been out for 2 years and I sill can't buy one locally.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I feel very fortunate having been able to get a PS5 on release and a Deck in early March. wish I could have used that luck on something that wasn't gizmos, honestly

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm still hunting for a PS5. Want to play that new Horizon game :argh:

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Protocol7 posted:

I'm still hunting for a PS5. Want to play that new Horizon game :argh:

I got it on PS4 and it ain't half bad

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

i must compose posted:

I got it on PS4 and it ain't half bad

I've only got a base model PS4 and it was struggling, but maybe a more flagship title like that would be fine. At any rate, I'll figure it out eventually, not the most topical thread for PlayStation stuff.

Perhaps more topically:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress this poo poo.

Maybe Thursday

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Woohoo! Got my order confirmation! 256GB, I was at 25 after.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
512 with a time of Fri Jul 16 2021 12:15:14 and still nothing :(

Are they doing about 30 secounds worth of the 512's a week?

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 18, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

I was at 14 after and I just got my email. You'll be thursday or next monday I bet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm not sure when my time was but I just was informed and purchased my 512 Deck and I am in the USA. Think I was around 10~ minutes or so after the orders went live, I never bothered to check.
Neat!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Got my 256 email today in the US. Had a scare when my Apple Card declined the purchase but was able to verify it and it looks to have gone through the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Harminoff posted:

According to Reddit, yes. Somebody in the pinned thread has a nice chart tracking how far they get in each email batch and the US 512 is at +0:33 today.

The 256 queue seems to be moving about four minutes per batch so I ought to be getting my email in a couple more weeks.